Three

Knights of the Sun

Youngbin looked up at the bright gold sign hanging in front of the entrance and took a deep breath. One would think that a priestess would be found in the depths of a mountain or in some shrine in a quiet part of town, not in the middle of the red light district and no less than one of the biggest clubs around.

The guards let him in with a nod and Youngbin weaved his way through the crowd of gyrating bodies; the smell of alcohol, perfume and permeating the air. The Oracle’s lair was one of the neutral grounds – a safe place for ordinary humans, immortals and gifted individuals like him mingle – but even then, Youngbin was careful not to make any eye contact with anyone.

He went through another set of doors and rode an elevator all the way to the top.

“Youngbin! It’s been awhile,” she said as soon as he entered the room.

“Hyejeong,” he greeted with a barely perceptible nod.

“I don’t know if I should call you brave or foolish,” she started, taking a sip out of the goblet in her hand.

Youngbin’s eyes flashed dangerously. Hyejeong's has always been blunt, even more so when she finally ascended as this generation's Oracle

“I don’t have a choice,” Youngbin sighed, looking at the carpeted floor. Even to him, the words sound empty.

“You always have a choice, Youngbin. I’ve always told you that. It’s just that you’re too good of a person to choose the other options,” she stated matter-of-factly.

Youngbin hung his head in defeat. Hyejeong was right- she has always been right; not just because she’s the Oracle but also because she has been one of his closest friends and an almost lover.

“There is still time,” she started to say, her voice taking on that ethereal quality that one could almost feel inside one's head. “The future isn’t always set in stone. It’s changing with every decision, with every choice. You may have started this path but there are still ways to turn back. It’s all up to you,”

“Will I – How will I know if it’s the point of no return?” Youngbin asked, his voice bordering on sadness and desperation.

“When all is lost.”

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------

The first thing Youngbin heard when he returned to the mansion was Dawon’s laughter. It filled the quiet, empty halls and he allowed himself to bask in the sound of it, making him feel warm on the inside. He followed it and found himself in the kitchens.

Dawon and Inseong were on the floor in front of the fridge, two pints of ice cream and a half eaten cake between them. Inseong mumbled something incoherently causing Dawon to laugh out loud. Youngbin smiled watching the scene in front of him unfold. He had half a mind to join them but eventually, he chose not to. And so, he remained in the shadow of the hallway, watching the two of them interact. After a minute, Youngbin quietly slipped upstairs to his room.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Are you sure about this?” Chani asked.

Jaeyoon nodded. They were back in the woods, just near the spot where he met Inseong. Chani signaled for him to continue as he stayed hidden behind some trees. 

After about ten minutes, two figures started walking towards them - Inseong and Dawon. Jaeyoon's hand immediately went to the gun tucked behind his back seeing the other guy. He looked questioningly at Inseong who merely shook his head. But even with the assurance, Jaeyoon still kept his hand on the gun. 

"I thought you were alone," Jaeyoon said as the two came close enough. 

Inseong shrugged. "Well, he won't leave me alone. And don't worry, i have everything under control," he replied, waving a hand in front of Dawon's face. Immediately, Dawon's eyes closed and he collapsed to the ground. 

"So, how have you been?" Jaeyoon asked, taking Inseong's hand and walking away from the collapsed figure. 

Chani stepped out of the shadows when Inseong and Jaeyoon were out of sight. Jaeyoon was right. The part where Inseong made a tear in the barrier didn't fix as easily and he was able to poke around with it. After a while, he approached Dawon's sleeping figure on the ground. 

Footsteps from behind alerted Chani of Jaeyoon and Inseong returning and so he slinked back in the shadows and watched. The two said their goodbyes to each other. Inseong laid a hand on Dawon's shoulder and he stood up but his eyes were all milky. 

"How do you want me to proceed?" Jaeyoon asked as they watched the two figures disappear in the distance. 

"Befriend him. seduce him. Do whatever you can to gain his trust," Chani answered. "But judging by what happened, i think you're already halfway there," 

"And what of Dawon? What do i do with him?" 

Chani smirked and met Jaeyoon's eyes, "Don't worry. We wouldn't be having problems with Dawon anytime soon," 

"You know, you never have told anyone of us about Inseong? What is he?" Jaeyoon said. The things he's seen Inseong do, it was clear that he wasn't just someone who's gifted like them. 

Chani remained quiet and only spoke when they approached the highway. 

"Do you know the legend of the Nine-Tailed fox?" he asked.