Prologue

Knights of the Sun

All his life, Chani knew nothing but hardship. He grew up in an orphanage and even then, he knew that there was something different about him. The other kids kept their distance and he didn't really care. Their presence annoyed him so much that it was better to be left alone reading books and playing with imaginary friends. Until the day came that a guy came in and adopted him. 

It was him that showed Chani a new world - a world existing with the one he knew before and yet separate from it. A world where vampires and magic are real and Seoul is divided into districts protected by ancient, powerful families with different abilities. And most importantly, it was a world where he knew, deep in his heart, that he belongs.

But as always, things do not always go well for him. 

Chani was already fifteen when he realized that the guy he considered his father really only wanted him for his powers. Looking back, they never really had an actual conversation other than who to scare next or kill next and got so sick of it that he let the old guy get killed.

Chani watched the entire thing happen. He heard his father calling for help but Chani just looked at him in disgust until he took his last breath.  

And that’s when Youngbin and the knights entered the picture and Chani, although a bit hesitant in trusting others once more, felt that he was with family. But fate is still cruel to him and a little nosy fairy revealed the truth - the actual truth. Youngbin is his real brother, his only remaining family and the guy apparently knew about it and chose to keep quiet. 

And so Chani found himself trembling - in anger or from the truth, he didn't know and didn't care. All he knew was he needed to confront Youngbin about it. 

It was 3 in the morning when he found Youngbin in the library. Chani rushed him, pinning him against one of the bookshelves so hard that several books fell on them. Chani wrapped his thin, cold fingers around Youngbin's throat. 

"You knew! From the start you knew about me!" Chani hissed. 

Youngbin's eyes shone in understanding and his silence only angered the younger one more causing him to squeeze his fingers ever so slightly. 

“I wanted to make sure that I could trust you,” Youngbin choked, not bothering to fight him off. 

Chani shook his head. “ you! I have saved your life thrice and still that wasn’t enough for you to trust me?!”

“You were right, Chani,” Youngbin suddenly said. “The truth is I didn’t want you to know. I wanted to be the only Nephilim in town,”

It was an outright lie and Chani is quick to pick up on lies but this time, his emotions were all over the place that he didn’t even realize it for what it was. Youngbin saw the hesitation in Chani’s face and took advantage of it. He placed his hand over Chani’s chest and sent out a blast of energy, causing the younger to fly across the room.

“Chani, please, I was waiting for the right time to tell you,” Youngbin explained as he walked towards him.

“N-no,” Chani breathed. An unusual cold was starting to creep in his entire body, he can feel the tips of his fingers getting numb, his lips trembling and when he blinked, his lashes were frosted. 

“Chani," there was concern in Youngbin's voice, or was it? he asked himself. He looked up at the guy but his vision was blurred-it was like looking through a misty glass.

Chani felt his blood freeze in his veins, he felt his heart beat slowing down. He looked down at his hands, noticed how blue they looked and tried to move them but they were frozen

“Chani! Let me in!” the voice sounded muffled.

He couldn’t understand anything. There was only the cold creeping all over his body. He wanted to shout out, to ask for help but his mouth was frozen. Just as he was about to lose consciousness, Chani was sure he heard the sound of something breaking and a flutter of wings.