Truth or Dare

なんでもないや (It's Nothing)

    "The time finally came. Yesterday seemed nothing more than a prologue to the prologue. But you can skim through if you wish, from here on out is my story." - 'Sparkle' by RADWIMPS

 

     If there was a bigger fan of famous lyricist and composer Asterix than JiHoon, he'd have liked to meet them. JiHoon was very much convinced that Asterix was a man, but maybe that was his ual preference trying to convince him that his silly fantasies may come true.
     Asterix was one of the most popular composers at that time. He constantly created chart topping songs that were bested by close to none. He owned his own entertainment company, but not a single person had ever admitted to even working as a janitor at the company. The idea that a company building even existed to work at was questionable. It seemed to come and go at random.

     No one had ever heard of Asterix's company recruiting trainees, yet Asterix somehow managed to recruit a new artist for every song. They release one of Asterix's songs and then disappear, never to release another song. Sometimes Asterix's company would release hit after hit for months on end. Sometimes he would slip into radio silence for months without a trace of where he'd gone. Regardless of the lyricist's erratic release patterns, his fanbase had grown strong and quite loyal. JiHoon was one of those loyal fans, although he was hoping to gain a fanbase of his own.
     JiHoon could only ever pray he'd live up to Asterix's legacy. His friends constantly tried to assure him that the music he composed was just as good as Asterix's, but he hardly ever listened to them, let alone believed them.

     His friends, Boo SeungKwan and Kwon SoonYoung, had convinced JiHoon that he should take a break from his studies. He was majoring in music in college, but still somehow managed to spend all of his free time studying the subject. SeungKwan had been very offended that JiHoon never hung out with he and SoonYoung, so this… sleepover of sorts had been shoved upon him.
     Honestly, JiHoon had a couple of teenage girls as best friends. SeungKwan kept teasing SoonYoung about whomever it was he had a crush on at the time. JiHoon wasn't focusing on the names. In return, SoonYoung would gripe about how much time SeungKwan spent doting over his boyfriend, a Vernon-something from America. JiHoon didn't pay much attention to that, either.

     It had honestly been way too long that the two were quipping at each other over crushes and boyfriends, and JiHoon just wanted them to shut up about the topic. Well, careful what you wish for.

     "Hey, JiHoonie, you have a crush on that Asterix guy, don’t you?" SeungKwan questioned, the boys' focus now on their blond friend. JiHoon frowned at his phone screen, scoffing.
     "I can't have a crush on someone I've never met," he replied with a roll of his eyes before setting his phone on SoonYoung's coffee table. "Plus, Asterix is completely anonymous. There's no way to know if Asterix is a man or a woman or twelve ing ducks in a trench coat. I'm not attracted to girls, and I'm definitely not attracted to ducks in trench coats."
     "Aw, you're not attracted to me?" SoonYoung pouted, flinging his arms out and whining overdramatically.

     "I hate to be the one to deliver this bad news, Soon, but you're neither a woman or a duck in a trench coat." JiHoon retorted, stifling a laugh at the ridiculous expression of feigned hurt on SoonYoung's face.

     "Excuse you!" SoonYoung shrieked, swinging his arm wildly and nearly whacking SeungKwan in the face. "I just so happen to identify as female ducks in trench coats! It's called coming out of the closet, have you ever tried it?!"

     "I support trans people, Soon, but I don't think male human to female duck is a transition they do." JiHoon muttered playfully.
     SoonYoung could have kept this 'argument' going all night, but SeungKwan quickly intervened. "How about some truth or dare?" Thankfully, that was one thing all of the boys could agree on.
     When JiHoon's turn came around, SeungKwan looked particularly mischievous. "Dare? Great. Ji, I dare you to send an email to Asterix using that business email he put out a while ago!"

     JiHoon scoffed, picking up his phone. "Fine, easy. He-… or, she, never replies to fan emails anyway." He proceeded on sending a message that was not over the top, but not a simple hi, so his friends could neither nor tell him it wasn't enough.

 

     [Hi! I'm Hoon. Write a song about meee, haha. XOXO]

 

     And send. It was as easy as that. Forgetting about the ridiculously stupid dare, the three friends kept playing into the wee hours of the morning. That is, until by some twist of fate, JiHoon's phone lit up with a notification that he'd gotten an email. It was from Asterix. Simply, a phone number. There was nothing else attached, no signature, no 'thanks for your email,' nothing.

     "Well… text it!" SoonYoung encouraged excitedly, smacking JiHoon's shoulder until he earned himself a kick to the shin.

     "What if it's a prank? Some kind of hacker wants into my phone or something? Gonna trace me and kill me in my sleep? People are cruel in this world, you know." JiHoon muttered pessimistically.

     "Do it or I'm taking your phone and telling him how much you love him," threatened SeungKwan. JiHoon knew just how serious SeungKwan was, so he quickly tried to text the number.

 

     [Hi… don't tell me this is Asterix.]

     Asterix is typing…