Prologue

なんでもないや (It's Nothing)

     We are time flyers, I knew you long before I learned my own name.

 

     JiHoon's head whipped around to focus on the man he'd just passed. He'd… recognized him. He knew he'd seen that face before, but where? He couldn’t place a name with that face, or place where he'd seen him before that made him recognize him. In fact, not a single thing came to his mind, other than I know him. Why was JiHoon so drawn to his face?



     There's probably some meaning, even in a world you don't exist in. But a world you don't exist in is like an August without a summer vacation.

 

     The man glanced back at him, all doe eyes and pillow lips. He looked… frightened? Shocked? Yes, shocked. The man took a step towards JiHoon, and JiHoon had the urge to step closer as well. His gut instinct was telling him 'get away from the strange man who looks crazy.' The rest of him… wanted to run into his arms and never let go. Why was that? That didn't sound right. He'd never met this man. Or had he?
     "Hoonie," the man breathed, leaving JiHoon utterly confused.
     "How do you know my name? And why did you use my nickname, of all things?" JiHoon growled in his defensive way, taking a half-step back. The man looked crestfallen, his shoulders slumping.

 

     It's nothing, it's nothing after all.

 

     The man in front of JiHoon stepped closer again, close enough to place a hand on JiHoon's shoulder. JiHoon did his best not to smack it away immediately.
     "JiHoon, you don't… recognize me?" The man's face lifted. Were those tears in his eyes, or was JiHoon going crazy?
     "No, sir, I'm sorry. Honestly, you look… very familiar, but… I don't believe we've actually met." JiHoon replied, backing away from the man a few steps. The man sighed and blinked twice. Fat tears rolled down his cheeks, almost startling JiHoon. He quickly wiped them himself as he drew in a shaking breath.
     "Forgive me. I shouldn't have been so impulsive. You must not… be the person I'm looking for."

 

     You're a flashy crier, I want to try to stop those tears. But you refused; I understood as I saw the tears keep flowing.

 

     JiHoon gave the man a concerned look. "I'm sorry. Good luck in your searching." JiHoon waved a small hand under his sweater paw and turned to walk away. He was halfway down the street when he turned so fast that his bag flew off his shoulder, hitting a now annoyed man in the knees. Cheol?