Understanding and Acceptance

Acceptance

A/N: Hey everyone thank you all for reading and reviewing. This is the final chapter so things will be coming to a conclusion with all the characters and thank you again.


 

For days Joohyun wasn’t as responsive as Seulgi had wished for her to be. She spent most of her time in bed when she wasn’t up doing things around the house. Seulgi took off time from work as her family situation was simply more important. The alpha would try her best to engage her wife but most of the times Joohyun wouldn’t respond to her. This morning the brunette comes to their bedroom with breakfast in bed for her wife. Joohyun is sitting up today which is more than what could have been said the previous days.

 

“Good morning, honey. I brought something to eat, will you please eat something, Joohyun?”

 

The omega looks over to her mate and gives a small nod. She hates to worry Seulgi in this way, but these last few days have been particularly hard for her. Seulgi sits across from her and proceeds to feed her.

 

“I know right now it’s been hard for you, sweetheart.”

 

“We can worry about me later. Did you talk with Yerim lately?”

 

The monolid woman has been in contact with their daughter every day since she left their house the evening of that confrontation. Seulgi knows things aren’t exactly easy on Yerim either. But the alpha is hopeful to bring their family together.

 

“I spoke to her last night, and don’t worry they are still in Seoul. Sooyoung has an apartment about an hour from here.”

 

“I want to talk to her, but…” Joohyun stops. She isn’t ready to talk to her daughter yet even though she wants to. Joohyun wants to hold her little girl who is not any little girl anymore, and tell her she loves her. The omega can still hardly believe that her daughter is someone’s wife and mate now. This is not what Joohyun would have hoped for her. Yerim is simply too young to be married. Marriage is hard work and it’s not always easy.

 

“I know.” The alpha nods and kisses her cheek. “You need time, and you also need to talk to her too, soon. When you’re ready, and she’s being taken care of by her wife. Sooyoung isn’t some bad person, Hyun. I really want you to be able to sit down with her and talk.”

 

Joohyun makes a sound at that. The last thing she is ready to do is talk to Sooyoung. In her mind all she can see is the alpha who took her daughter from her.

 

“Seul…”

 

“It’ll be okay, Hyun. Your parents didn’t like me either for you, remember?”

 

“But that was different, Seul. They wanted me to marry an alpha of their friend’s. But they came around because they knew I would never give you up.”

 

“Yerim is very much your daughter, Joohyun.” Seulgi repeats words from before. Yerim didn’t want to give up the person she loved, and why should she have? Sooyoung is a good person and Joohyun has to one day be open to the possibility of accepting that she is the person their daughter has chosen to spend her life with. Sooyoung is their family too for now.

 

“Do you want them to move away and we don’t ever see our daughter again, or future grandchildren?”

 

Thinking about future grandchildren is also something Joohyun really doesn’t want to think about. Having grandchildren is not something she is thinking about and hopefully Yerim isn’t either at this point in time.

 

“Seul…”

 

“Hey, I know you have other thoughts on your mind. We should probably try to talk about them together, Hyun. You remember what our therapist said when we used to go to couple counseling. We need to talk to each other about everything, even the uncomfortable and difficult. You know I’m here for you.”

 

Joohyun says nothing and turns away from her wife. She simply gets under the covers and it’s clear that the raven doesn’t wish to talk anymore. Seulgi takes the leftover food and goes. She has an idea that could backfire, but at the same time it will give at least Sooyoung some more insight. Sooyoung is of course the one Joohyun is against most, but a part of why Joohyun is so against her isn’t really all because of the younger alpha. The brunette texts Sooyoung to meet her tomorrow at a park and they will talk. Seulgi really wants for everyone to be alright, and this may be the way to help do that.



 

Sooyoung was doing her best to help her wife. She knows Yerim has a lot on her mind about what could be going on with her mother in particular. It’s why the alpha has been trying to get her out of the apartment at least for part of the day. Sometimes the younger couple would do breakfast out or lunch. Tonight she was able to get her mate out for a dinner with some friends. It was nothing fancy or over the top. But any socialization with others can only be helpful. Being around other people did help distract Yerim for a while. Sooyoung could see for the dinner she was in better spirits being around their friends. The alpha was glad to see her eating well, talking, laughing, and enjoying the night out. It was of course a different story when they were on their way home.

 

“Hey, are you okay?” Sooyoung asked worriedly as she reaches for her hand. There is this small grateful smile on her wife’s face, but it doesn’t do anything to hide how actually worried she does look too.

 

“I know I’m supposed to trust in my mom and you, because you both told me we’re all going to be okay. It’s just hard right now because this is the time I should be able to talk to my mother openly, and we were just married, so we should all be happy and looking forward. Instead of looking forward we’re stuck, you know?” Yerim explains to her wife and hopes that she’s making some sense. She makes perfect sense to Sooyoung.

 

“What about going to talk to your mother? I want to talk to her too, but right now she just isn’t going to hear me, baby.”

 

“No, you going to talk to my mother right now isn’t the best idea. But I’m not sure if she is ready to talk to me either.” The omega sighs. This is the time she should be able to talk to her mother. She is a young newlywed who could most certainly talk to her mother about married life, or simple advice that helped her own parents throughout their marriage. Yerim’s parents have been together a very long time, more than 20 years and they are such an example of a strong and solid couple. Yerim has always admired her parents relationship and bond. She knew from seeing her parents loving and strong partnership that she wanted the same for herself one day. The dark-haired girl knows she has that in Sooyoung.

 

“Hery, there’s no rush, Yerimie. You’ll know when you’re ready to talk to her, for now you know I’m with you.”

 

“Thank you, Soo. I don’t know what I would do without you.”

 

“That’s something you never have to worry about. Your mine and I’m yours. Let’s go home, alright?”

 

“Alright.”


 

Sooyoung didn’t say anything to Yerim about the text she received from Seulgi. It wasn’t because she wanted to keep anything from her mate, but the way the message sounded it seemed like this was something her mother-in-law wanted to talk to her alone. Sooyoung made sure to text Seulgi back that she would meet with her tomorrow. The only thing that would be hard to accomplish was not telling Yerim where she would be going. She doesn’t want to lie to her wife, but maybe what needs to be said is between herself and Seulgi for now. That night in bed the auburn-haired woman cuddled her close and just as she knows Yerim inside and out. The omega knows her too just the same. It is why her shorter partner turns to her and pushes her auburn locks out of her face.

 

“What’s wrong, Soo?”

 

“What?”

 

“You’ve been helping me and here by my side this whole time. But that works both ways, and if you’re not okay. Please talk to me.”

 

Sooyoung smiles some and hugs her closer. “I’m fine, babe. You know I would tell you if there’s something really wrong. Don’t worry about me.”

 

Yerim is honestly too exhausted to argue with her, and she doesn’t want to argue. All she tells Sooyoung is she loves her and wants her to talk to her whenever she’s ready. It’s mostly spoken through a cute yawn that the alpha finds adorable. Sooyoung smiles and kisses the top of her forehead.

 

“I love you, Yerim.”


 

When Seulgi got up that morning to get ready to meet Sooyoung. It seemed to be the day Joohyun also was able to get up and out of bed. Her wife seemed okay today as she moved about in the kitchen. The omega turned to look at her in casual shirt and jeans. It’s clear that the alpha isn’t going to work but she’s going somewhere. Joohyun wonders what’s going on.

 

“Where are you going, Seul?”

 

“I have some errands to run, but I’ll be back. I’m glad to see you’re out of bed. How are you feeling?”

 

“I’m okay, I was thinking I would give Yerim a call. Maybe, if she and I could talk, then…” Joohyun sighs. “I’m not sure what to do.”

 

“Hey, it’s alright. Come here,” The taller woman wraps her arms around her for a hug. “I think Yerim also wants to talk to you too, Joohyun. But neither one of you are sure when to make the first move. If you really want to talk to her, please give her a call. Your relationship with her is very important, Hyun. I know you two will work it out.”

 

The dark-haired woman wraps her arms around her wife and inhales the citrusy scent she’s been calmed by for more than 20 years. Seulgi is right that one of them has to make the first move, and more than that Joohyun doesn’t want to lose her daughter.

 

“I’ll give her a call.”

 

“It’s a good place to start, Hyun. Maybe, if you want you can tell her the entire truth.”

 

“Seul…” She sounds reluctant. “I...don’t...I’ll see.” Is what Joohyun ends up finally saying because what else can she do. Yerim does need to understand where she herself is coming from with her reaction to her sudden marriage and mating. Seulgi caresses her cheek and tells her that she’s with her no matter what.

 

“If you need me there with you when you talk to her about this, please let me know. We can do it together, Joohyun.”

 

The raven leans into her touch and kisses her hand. She has no idea what she would do without Seulgi. Her mate, partner, love of her life, and person who keeps her grounded when things are too overwhelming. The pair share a kiss goodbye before Seulgi leaves. Joohyun stands in the kitchen with her phone in hand. She wants to call her daughter and hear her voice. Joohyun wants to apologize and maybe they can reach an understanding. The omega doesn’t want for Yerim to ever be out of her life, that is not an option she ever wants to think about.


 

Luckily for Sooyoung her mate was still asleep when she left. But the alpha didn’t leave without putting a note by her pillow and making sure there was breakfast for Yerim to heat up when she did wake up. Sooyoung is sure to leave a kiss to her forehead before leaving. She has to know why her mother-in-law wants to meet her. The alpha gets into her car and drives to meet Seulgi. The older woman is already sitting there at a picnic bench and looks as if she’s been waiting a while. Seulgi looks up when she sees Sooyoung and offers a smile.

 

“Hello, Sooyoung. How are you?”

 

“I’m good, Mrs. Kang. It’s nice to see you.”

 

“It’s nice to see you too, Sooyoung. I am glad that you were able to meet me today.”

 

“It sounded important. I don’t like lying to Yerim but this seems like something you needed me to know first, am I making sense?”

 

Seulgi nods and gives a small smile. Sooyoung is the one on the receiving end of her wife’s distrust. Seulgi knows that she’s making a big decision telling the younger woman this information. But at the same time the monolid woman knows she has to do this.

 

“You’re making sense. I won’t take much of your time but I do need to talk to you. You need to have some understanding of what’s going on with my wife. I apologize that’s she’s been unfair to you, a lot of this really doesn’t have much to do with you.”

 

“Oh, so she doesn’t hate my guts?” Sooyoung laughs some and that makes Seulgi chuckle in amusement. Sooyoung really isn’t a bad kid and she thinks with time Joohyun will see it too.

 

“She’s a mother, and the feelings of love and protectiveness that come with that title don’t ever go away. But I know she’s a bit overprotective even for a mother, and there is a reason as to why that is, Sooyoung.

 

Sooyoung prepares to listen to what the other woman is going to say. Seulgi has to stop to gather her thoughts and the auburn-haired woman can tell whatever it is can’t be easy.

 

“Mrs. Kang…”

 

“No, it’s okay. I need to tell you this. Because at this point in time most of Joohyun’s anger is directed at you, and you need to understand why. My wife is really a very warm, loving, and kind person. She is very protective over our daughter because she is our only child.”

 

Sooyoung gets it to a certain point. She knows when she and Yerim do have a family of their own her instincts to protect and nurture her pups will come in strong too. There seems to be more to the fact that Yerim is their only child.

 

“I understand, but Yerim is also an adult.”

 

“Yes, our Yerim is an adult. For Joohyun she is still our little girl in a lot of ways, and she always will be. But she is our only child.”

 

The way Seulgi repeats it makes Sooyoung think. There is certain sadness in the brunette’s tone too that can only be one thing. Sooyoung looks sad then as she hates to ask.

 

“Mrs. Kang, are you saying what I think you’re saying?”

 

“Yes.” Seulgi nods. “Yerim doesn’t know this but she had a sibling. Hyun and I were expecting another child together about 4 years after we had Yerim. The baby didn’t make it, and it was very hard for us to deal with the loss of our child. Joohyun really just ended up becoming extra protective over our daughter in the process.”

 

“Because Yerim is the only child you have left.” Sooyoung gets it. “I’m so sorry, Mrs. Kang. I can’t imagine how painful that must have been. No wonder why she’s a really protective mom. I don’t know if I can keep this from Yerim.”

 

Seulgi understands. It’s why she hopes that she and Joohyun will be able to sit down and tell their daughter that truth. They kept it from her for many years because they never wanted to bring that sort of pain to her.

 

“I would rather Joohyun and I sit down to tell Yerim the truth, but I do understand not being able to keep this a secret. My wife and I will handle it, and perhaps I shouldn’t have told you but I do think you needed to know. Can you understand somewhat now?”

 

Sooyoung can understand. Behind a lot of that anger is pain. The younger alpha thanks her mother-in-law for sharing that personal information with her. A lot more things make sense now.


 

When Yerim woke up to the bed empty and cold she could tell Sooyoung had been gone a while. The note didn’t explain to where she was going. All it said was that she would be back soon. The dark-haired girl gets up and showers. There is food left for her to heat up and it makes her smile.

 

“You’re always so sweet, Soo.” She thinks as she heats up the food. Today Yerim thinks she needs to talk to her mother. They can’t go on not talking and it doesn’t feel right to be this distant from her mother. The younger omega is just about to go get her phone when she hears it ringing. She was just going to call her mother and it’s her mother who’s calling her first.

 

“Mom?” Yerim whispers in disbelief. She really didn’t think her mother would call her first. Joohyun is silent on the phone for a long time, before finally speaking.

 

“Hi, sweetie.”

 

“Hi, mom.” The younger woman holds back any tears that she feels wants to come. At the end of the day this is her mother and she loves her. Joohyun holds back her tears too. She wants to see and hold her daughter.

 

“Yerim, are you busy now? Would you be able to come over to talk. I have to talk with you, alright?”

 

Yerim is quiet for a long time that it worries Joohyun. She hopes her daughter hasn’t ended the call. She is relieved when she hears Yerim speak.

“I’ll come over to talk to you.”

 

“Oh, thank you, honey. I want us to be okay and we have to start somewhere.”

 

“I agree, I’ll see you soon.”

 

“See you soon, Yerimie.”


 

Joohyun is relieved that Yerim agreed to come over. The omega actually gets to work making some of her daughter’s favorite foods and hopes they will be able to talk as mother and daughter. She remembers that Seulgi offered to be here to talk with her if she chose to tell Yerim the entire story. The raven pauses as she thinks more about telling Yerim a long kept secret. Joohyun closes her eyes and wipes at some stray tears. Only she and her wife have held onto this secret for years, and Joohyun isn’t sure if she can potentially hurt Yerim with this information.

 

“You want your daughter and you can’t lose her, Hyun.” The omega tells herself as she continues making food. The first thing she’s going to do is hug her daughter. It’s been days and she will hug Yerim the moment she can. Seulgi gets home before Yerim comes over and Joohyun has to hug her too because she needs to feel Seulgi’s arms right now.

 

“What’s wrong, Hyun?”

 

“I spoke to Yerim. She agreed to come over to talk.”

 

“Do you want me here for anything?”

 

“I always want you, baby. But for now I’m going to try and talk to her alone. I’ll be fine, Seul.”

 

“Alright, I’m here if you need me. I’m just going to be in my office getting some work done. But Yerim agreed to come here to talk. That’s already a step in the right direction, honey. We won’t lose our daughter.”

 

Joohyun smiles and thanks Seulgi with a small kiss to her cheek. She always feels better after talking with her wife.

 

“Hey, we should talk later, Hyun. I need to talk to you alone.”

 

It sounds important and Joohyun nods to her that they will talk later. Right now she has to finish getting ready for Yerim to come over. Seulgi gives her hand a squeeze before leaving. She hopes Joohyun won’t be too furious when she tells her what she did earlier. At the end of the day Seulgi made a decision that she feels will ultimately help their entire family.

 

“I’m sorry, Hyun.”


 

Yerim had to wait for Sooyoung to come home to be able to give her a ride over to her parents house. The alpha told her it was a good thing that she spoke to her mom and is going over.

 

“I want you to be there too, but I know this is where my mother and I should talk alone.”

 

Sooyoung nods and kisses her cheek. She is worried about this information that Seulgi told her earlier. As much as she wants to go and tell her mate what she learned. Is this really her place to do? Her parents are the ones who should tell her first, and Sooyoung knows she will be there for her if and when she hears the truth from her parents.

 

“I know you need to handle this now, baby. I’ll be right here. I won’t go anywhere, Yerim.”

 

“Thank you, it means a lot to me to have you here.”

 

Sooyoung gives a quick squeeze to her hand and watches her mate go into her house. She is going to stay here and wait for Yerim. Sooyoung hopes that the mother and daughter will be fine most of all. Yerim takes a deep breath before knocking on the door. She shares a final look with her wife who nods to her. The moment the door opens and she sees her mother. The younger omega is wrapped up into a warm embrace.

 

“Yerim,” Joohyun hugs her tightly. It feels too good to be able to hold her child. The younger dark-haired girl returns the embrace. She didn’t go away from home to hurt anyone, that was just about the last thing Yerim could ever have wanted. She loves both her parents and now it feels like way too long since she’s had a hug from her mother.

 

“Come in, baby. I’m so glad you agreed to show.”

 

“I don’t like this sort of distance with you, mom. We should talk.”

 

“Yes, we should. I made so many of your favorite things because I was just so excited to be able to see you. Sit, Yerimie.”

 

Yerim sits and does see a lot of food at the table. Her mother wasn’t kidding and for a moment she wonders if her mom is around too. They need to talk alone first.

 

“Thanks, mom. I’m not really hungry right now, but I’ll probably take some to go. I’m sorry for hurting you by running away. It wasn’t as if I wanted to just cause pain, but you really didn’t give Sooyoung a chance. I couldn’t face the alternative of not being with her. Hurting you and mom wasn’t anything I wanted.”

 

Joohyun nods as she sits down at the table too. She had time to think these past few days, and she knows Yerim would never do anything like this to hurt either her or Seulgi.

 

“I never imagined you married and mated this early. I had hoped you would have gone to college, go into some career you love, and even if you wanted to help your mom at her company. This is certainly not what I expected.”

 

“Mom, I can still do all of those things. Being married isn’t going to stop me from going to college if I want to. Sooyoung wouldn’t hold me back from something I want to do. She isn’t some monster like you think.”

 

All Joohyun can really think about are the rumors she’s heard about that girl. Park Sooyoung seemed like nothing but trouble to her, and she wanted Yerim to stay clear of that alpha. Joohyun thinks about the alternative of Yerim leaving and going so far away that she can’t see her at all. She thinks it’s time she probably told Yerim the truth too, although this won’t be easy to say at all. The younger omega notices her mother is zoning out and looking as if she’s in another world entirely.

 

“Mom?”

 

Joohyun takes a few deep breaths. “I…”

 

Just as if Seulgi knew she needed her in this moment, as the alpha could probably sense it. They have been a part of one another for so long that they need no verbal words. The raven can feel that gentle hand on her shoulder as she’s been feeling Seulgi’s presence for many years. The omega settles against her wife and touches her hand. She needs Seulgi right now more than anything.


 

“We need to tell you something, Yerimie.” Seulgi begins for her. She knew her wife needed her in this moment. Plus this is something they should tell their daughter together.

 

“Okay, I could tell something was going on with you.” Yerim gestures to Joohyun in particular. She just knew something was off and that her parents were hiding whatever it is from her. The younger woman prepares herself for what she might hear.

 

“I know I’ve been very protective over you, honey.” Joohyun speaks. “I know sometimes it’s too much, but I never do it because I want to suffocate your or make you feel trapped. Some of it over the years was truly unintentional and just my anxiety.”

 

“You are protective over me, mom. But I just thought it was because you’re my mother. You gave birth to me, and I get it. I’m sure when I have kids one day those maternal instincts will also kick in.”

 

“I’m sure they will one day, Yerim. However, my overprotectiveness with you isn’t all simply because I am your mother. Sweetie…”

 

Seulgi wraps her arms around her wife from behind as Joohyun has to take a pause to gather her thoughts. Seulgi being here is what she needs and she appreciates that support more than anything.

 

“Mom and I were expecting another child once before. You were going to have a sibling, Yerimie.” Joohyun is able to say. The implication of what her mom says hits the younger omega hard. She was going to have a sibling?

 

“Was?” Yerim repeats slowly, as it could only mean one thing. The sibling didn’t survive and now things make sense. Her mother’s overprotectiveness stems from the loss of that second child. Yerim understands so much more and she also hurts in an entirely different way for her parents.

 

“The baby didn’t make it.” Seulgi explains. “We lost her when your mother was about 4 months along. We never told you because we just never wanted you to know that hurt, so we kept it a secret.”

 

Yerim doesn’t even fully realize she is crying until she feels her cheeks are wet with tears. It hurts to know that she almost had a sibling. She hurts for her parents who kept this huge secret all these years. Yerim gets up to hug her parents and they all stand in a group hug to console one another.

 

“I’m so sorry, it’s no wonder why you were extra careful with me sometimes. You were worried something awful would happen to me too?”

 

“I had to go to therapy to not only deal with my child’s lost, but realizing that I was a bit much sometimes.” Joohyun admits.

 

“That’s not your fault, mom. You lost a baby. I can’t imagine that sort of pain, and then…”

 

“Don’t cry, sweetie.” The alpha tells her daughter and wipes away her stray tears. “Mom and I had a difficult time then. We sought therapy together and got our relationship back on track. You did need to know this, so you can fully understand. This is what I meant when I told you not to be hard on your mom. She loves you very much.”

 

Yerim nods in understanding. She understands a lot now and hugs her mom again. The younger dark-haired girl apologizes and kisses her cheek.

 

“I love you mom, and I do understand.”

 

“Thank you, honey.” Joohyun whispers back. “I do apologize for making you feel as if you had no choice but to run. Now, I am not promising I am suddenly Team Sooyoung, but we have to start somewhere, no?”

 

Yerim smiles some. She knows how hard that had to have been for her mom. “Yes, we have to start somewhere.”

 

“Why don’t you two come here for dinner?” Joohyun suggests. “It’ll be a do-over from all the previous ones. I will talk to her and will try, baby. Because I don’t plan on losing you.”

 

“You won’t lose me, mom.”

 

Seulgi steps back to simply give Yerim and Joohyun this moment. It touches her heart to see her family starting to heal. The alpha isn’t looking forward to telling her wife what she did earlier. But Seulgi has never lied to Joohyun a day in her life, and she doesn’t plan to start now. The brunette gets a hug from Yerim before her daughter leaves.

 

“I’m so sorry too, about the baby.”

 

“Your mom and I have had many years to try to heal from her loss, and you just never forget about a child you have, even if we never were able to hold them in your arms.”

 

“This isn’t to be rude, mom. I’m just wondering why you didn’t…”

 

“Try again?” Seulgi finishes. “We couldn’t have another child after what happened. It just wasn’t wisely suggested after what your mom went through, health wise. You know the truth now and why your mom was so overprotective over you, sweetie. Listen, she’s trying now. She offered to have dinner tomorrow, so maybe give her some credit. She loves you.”

 

“I know.” Yerim agrees. “I know she’s trying and that means a lot. Thank you, for everything you did to help too. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

 

“See you tomorrow, Yerimie.”


 

Seulgi is really proud of her mate for putting in that effort. All Yerim is asking for is for Joohyun to try, so offering dinner tomorrow is a good place as any to start. Seulgi knows she needs to talk to Joohyun, and she waits until later to do so. Joohyun already could tell her wife had something important to say, and it’s why she grabs her hand in her own.

 

“Whatever you feel that you can’t tell me, you know that you can.”

 

Seulgi smiles sadly. Joohyun will not be okay when she hears what she did. However, their relationship has always been built on trust and honesty. The alpha caresses her wife’s knuckles.

 

“I met with Sooyoung earlier.”

 

“Alright.” Joohyun nods. “Well, that can’t be it.”

 

“No, I sat with her to explain more about where a lot of your feelings of anger and hurt were coming from. I felt like Sooyoung had the right to know since she was on the receiving end of your anger more than anything. I told her about our baby.”

 

Joohyun immediately pulls her hand back from Seulgi just as the monolid woman knew that she would.

 

“Hon?”

 

“Why would you tell her our personal business. She’s..”

 

“She’s our family now, Hyun. I know you’re not totally ready to accept it, and I know you said you will try which is great that you will start to try. Sooyoung is our daughter-in-law and she needed to know where that anger stems from. You are wary of her but you’re hurt because of our baby too.”

 

“Seul..” Joohyun sighs and turns away from her. “You should have told me this before you told our personal business to her. We hadn’t even told our daughter when you decided to go tell this to her.”

 

“Come here.” Seulgi slowly pulls her into a hug. Joohyun resists at first until finally settling against her. She is angry right now that Seulgi would do such a thing. Her anger settles into tears.

 

“You shouldn’t have done that.”

 

“I’m sorry, Hyun. Please understand I didn’t do it to hurt you at all. I know there are times you go into that spare room and don’t come out for hours. You still have a lot of the baby’s things too, even when we donated much of them. We are still healing too, honey. How can we heal our family if we’re not honest.”

 

Joohyun does understand what Seulgi is saying. However, that was her truth to share and she wouldn’t have wanted to share such information with Sooyoung at this stage.

 

“You shouldn’t have said anything, Seul. I wish she hadn’t said anything to her. I hear what you’re saying…” She stops. “Well, it’s out in the open now.”

 

“This is only going to keep bringing us all together. I am sorry for hurting you by telling the truth. I just had to, Hyun. You offered to have dinner with our daughter and daughter-in-law tomorrow. Do you see how big of a step that is? We can do this one step at a time. Please understand, and…”

 

Joohyun cuts her off with a soft kiss to her cheek. As angry as she is with her wife she understands too. Seulgi did what she felt was necessary ultimately for everyone.

 

“I haven’t forgiven you for this, you know.”

 

Seulgi smile softly. This is very much her wife and she loves her. “I know, baby. It doesn’t mean you don’t still love me. I love you too, and we’re going to be fine. Do you want to go visit the burial site we made for our daughter in the morning? Will that help?”

 

“Yes.” Joohyun nods. It will help a lot to visit the small burial site for their daughter together. She knows deep down how very lucky she is to have Seulgi, and she will also try her best to put in effort with Sooyoung. The alpha is her daughter-in-law and that doesn’t seem to be going anywhere.


 

That night Yerim told her wife what she learned today about the sibling she almost had. It was clear right away that Sooyoung wasn’t as surprised as she was. Yerim knew that her mate knew.

 

“You already know?”

 

“Yeah,” The alpha nods and pushes some of her dark locks back. “Your mom told me earlier. She asked me to meet today. I really didn’t know what to expect, and she told me about their baby they lost. I think she wanted me to understand why your mother is so angry. It was more to the story. I didn’t want to keep that information from you, Yerimie. I just felt like maybe your parents needed to tell you?”

 

The omega nods and leans into her wife’s embrace. It was her parent’s place to tell her that important information. She can still hardly believe that she would have been an older sister. She cries for a sibling she didn’t know and for her parents who had to deal with that secret for such a long time.

 

“I think they wanted to protect you, babe.”

 

“I know, but they kept that for so long and that had to be hard for them. I have such an understanding of my mother that I didn’t have before.”

 

Sooyoung wraps her arms around her wife tighter and tells Yerim she has an understanding of where her mother is coming from too. A lot of things do make sense when they didn’t before.

 

“She wants us to come to dinner tomorrow night.”

 

“Oh, are you sure she wants me there too?” Sooyoung teases some and that makes Yerim hit her in the arm while she laughs some through tears.

 

“She’s making an effort and that’s all we can ask for, Soo. She said she will try. It’ll take time but she’s going to try.”

 

“I will show her for however long it takes she doesn’t have to worry about me. I love you so much and would never hurt you, ever.”

 

Yerim nods and kisses her mate against the lips. All she could ask for in this moment is that they both try. Her parents and wife are all very important to her, and if they can move forward together as a family it would mean everything. Things are looking up already and Yerim appreciates it.

 

“Hey, this means a lot that my mother will try. I love you, Soo.”

 

“I love you too, baby. Well, dinner tomorrow, huh? It’s been too long since I had dinner at your parents place, and your mother looked at me like she wanted me dead.”

 

“I know, the last few times dinner was awkward. I believe her this time. She said she is willing to start trying. Don’t be scared but she did say she would talk to you.”

 

The auburn-haired woman tenses some and chuckles nervously. Joohyun is the scary mother-in-law by far. Seulgi is much easier to talk to and hasn’t ever looked like she could murder her. Yerim simply pinches her cheek playfully and leaves a kiss to her skin.

 

“Don’t be scared, I’ll be there too. My mother is honestly a very sweet person when you get to know her. Try not to worry so much.”

 

“Well, okay for you, Yerimie.”

 

“She can smell fear!”

 

“Ah!” The alpha jumps some in her skin and that makes Yerim laugh at her wife so loud. Sooyoung frowns some and pushes her playfully.

 

“Haha, so very funny Park Yerim.”

 

Yerim stops laughing when she hears the way Sooyoung calls her Park Yerim. They are married and mates. However, the omega thinks this might be the first time she has heard Sooyoung call her as Park.

 

“What’s wrong?” The taller woman wonders.

 

“Call me that again.”

 

“What, Park Yerim?”

 

“Yes, say it again.”

 

Sooyoung smiles and nuzzles her neck affectionately before repeating in a cute mantra. “Park Yerim, Park Yerim, Park Yerim.”

 

“Y-Yes, that’s my name.”

 

Yerim feels a soft kiss to her mating mark. “It’ll always be your name, wife.”

 

Yerim knows without a doubt hearing Sooyoung address her as wife will never get old. She loves this woman with all of her heart and hopes with time her mother will see it. It’s already a good start that they will have dinner tomorrow night at her parents house, and Yerim is more hopeful than ever that her mother will come around completely with time.


 

The evening just before Yerim and Sooyoung are to arrive Joohyun is obviously anxious. Seulgi is there to be of support and help calm her down.

 

“Is it bad that I’m this nervous?” The raven wonders while Seulgi takes her hands into her own. Seulgi promises her it’s not a bad thing that she is nervous. It’s understandable.

 

“I’m here too. You just talk one on one with Sooyoung when you’re ready. Yerim is really glad that you’ve decided to try. You’re amazing, Kang Joohyun.”

 

Joohyun smiles some and kisses her wife fully on the lips. Joohyun will always feel like Seulgi is the truly amazing one, and she is grateful to have her.

 

“You’re the amazing one, baby. Okay…” The raven takes a few deep breaths. “They’ll be here soon.”

 

“They’ll be here soon.” Seulgi repeats and nods. “It’s going to be fine, Hyun.”


 

Joohyun takes her wife’s word for it and goes to finish up any last minute things she needs. While she does that Sooyoung and Yerim arrive and it’s clear to Seulgi that Sooyoung is understandably nervous. The older alpha gently pats her shoulder.

 

“Don’t worry, Soo. We’re going to have dinner and talk. I think this could only be a good thing.”

 

“I hope you’re right, Mrs. Kang. I want this to work out for us all.”

 

Yerim and Sooyoung look up when they hear footsteps in the form of Joohyun coming from the dining room area.

 

“Hi, Yerimie.” She addresses her daughter first. Sooyoung is prepared for many things. She is ready for a look of disgust, anger, or maybe even silence. What she wasn’t truly ready for was seeing the polite smile.

 

“Hello, Sooyoung. I’m glad that you both could come. We should go have dinner now.”

 

“O-Oh, um sure, Mrs. Kang.” Sooyoung says back politely. She can feel her mate give her arm a squeeze and Yerim whispers to her that everything will be fine. The alpha can’t help to be nervous as none of the other dinners have gone well. However, she does calm some when she sees Joohyun really is putting in that effort she said she would. She isn’t rude at all and even asks if she’s had enough to eat.

 

“Would you like anything else?”

 

“Oh, no I’m too full. Your cooking is really amazing, Mrs. Kang.”

 

“Thank you, I’m glad you enjoyed everything.”

 

Seulgi and her daughter share a look of relief as they can see Joohyun is trying. The bigger thing is really when they go talk alone. Joohyun asks Sooyoung to join her in the living room area so they can talk. Yerim is there to make her wife feel a little calmer even if she is truly nervous.

 

“Don’t be nervous, Soo. She only wants to talk to you. I’ll be right here, I promise.”

 

“Good, don’t go too far if she tries to murder me!”

 

“Soo, stop. My mother isn’t going to hurt you.”

 

“We don’t know that, babe.”


 

Joohyun pretends not to hear any of that exchange as she gets a hug from Seulgi. Her wife whispers to her that she is very proud of her for taking these steps. It means a lot to their daughter too. Joohyun thanks Seulgi for everything she’s done in this difficult time and goes to wait for her now daughter-in-law to sit with her. It’s still hard to give that words. Sooyoung is standing there nervously and Joohyun tells her to sit. There is a bit of silence for a long moment before finally the omega speaks.

 

“I apologize to you, Sooyoung. I was a bit harsh and unwilling to give you a chance. I do need to know that you are in this for the long haul with my daughter, and not planning to drop her the first chance someone else comes along.”

 

“No, those thoughts have never crossed my mind. I am so in love with your daughter, Mrs. Kang and I would never hurt her.”

 

“I hope you mean those words, Sooyoung. I will be watching you because I will not allow anyone to hurt my daughter, with that being said I know my wife told you about our deceased child.”

 

“Yeah, I am sorry if I wasn’t supposed to know that information. I am glad she told me anyway, because I feel like I understand better now where you were coming from. I am also sorry for your loss, as that couldn’t have been easy. I do want you to know that all those really bad rumors you heard about me aren’t true. I’m not a playgirl who drops people when I lose interest. I am willing to prove to you for however long it takes, Mrs. Kang.”

 

Joohyun is quietly observing Sooyoung for so long that it worries the auburn-haired woman is scared that her mother-in-law really does hate her after all.

 

“Yerim, please come here.” Joohyun says. The footsteps of Yerim walking plus Seulgi to are soon heard until they’re in the room too.

 

“No bloodshed, that’s a good sign.” Seulgi makes a small joke to lighten the mood. Yerim goes to stand by her mate and waits for her mother to talk.

 

“Yes, mom?”

 

“You are being treated well?”

 

“Yes, Sooyoung has always treated me well since the time we first met.”

 

“You are very happy?”

 

“I’m really very happy, mom. She is my partner and the person I can share everything with.”

 

“You are willing to go through life with her by your side no matter what it throws at you?”

 

Yerim nods and touches Sooyoung’s hand who gives it a squeeze. Joohyun observes the soft and tender look on the alpha’s face and she recognizes that look. How many times has Seulgi looked at her in that same manner? How many times has she herself looked back at her wife in the same way Yerim is looking at the alpha.

 

“I will, mother. She’s the one.”

 

“You never have to worry about me not treating your daughter well, Mrs. Kang. I promise to always treat her well and love only you.”

 

Joohyun gives a small nod. “It’s really all I can ask for. I know we’re not going to magically become close overnight, Sooyoung. I meant what I said about trying with you.”

 

Sooyoung smiles in gratitude. This is truly all she could ask for and it’s a good start. “Oh, thank you, Mrs. Kang. I appreciate this chance.”

 

“Thank you, mom.” Yerim is the first to hug her mother. Joohyun hugs her back tightly and Seulgi gives the younger alpha a firm handshake.

 

“I told you it would work out.”

 

“Yeah, you did. Thank you again for all you did, Mrs. Kang.”

 

“Mom.” Seulgi softly corrects. “You are our daughter too now.”

 

Sooyoung is so touched by this entire thing that she hugs Seulgi who returns the hug right away. The alpha had hope that everything would begin to work out for their family, and it certainly feels like it will. Joohyun is even able to offer Sooyoung a hug too which was a welcoming sight indeed.

 

“Welcome to our family.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

“I will kill you if you do hurt my daughter, and I am not kidding.”

 

The younger woman jumps back fast as if being burned. She chuckles nervously and nods several times.

 

“Fair enough, Ma’am.”

 

The younger couple leave later that evening feeling better than they’ve felt in a long time. This was a good start and things can only go up from here. Sooyoung turns to her wife with a relieved smile when they get back to her apartment.

 

“I thought your mom was going to kill me for sure.”

 

“I told you that she’s a really nice person. But I am so glad we don’t have to worry anymore about things. I’m glad she gave you that hug.”

 

“I know right! I thought she was sick or something when she hugged me. It was a really good night though, I’m glad we were able to start moving forward.”

 

“Me too, Soo. We’ll all be fine from here on. I love you.”

 

“I love you more, Mrs. Park.”


 

Across town at their house Joohyun is in the room that was always meant to be for their second child, and is holding the same baby blanket. Seulgi is standing nearby and watching her.

 

“Hyun?”

 

“I’m fine, don’t worry.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Yes, since today has been about starting to move forward. I think I’m finally ready to donate the things in this room. It’s all mostly packed up but it’s never been used, someone could use the items here.”

 

Seulgi walks over and hugs her tightly. The shorter woman returns the embrace. It’s time for them to donate these baby items.

 

“Whenever you’re ready we’ll start to donate them. This doesn’t mean our baby never existed or that we forget about them, Hyun. We’ll alway have them here.” Seulgi gestures to their hearts and Joohyun nods.

 

“Yeah, I know. Thank you, honey. Not just for this but for so much more. I am so very lucky to have you, Seul. I love you.”

 

Seulgi nods and kisses her then. She is lucky to have her mate too, and looks forward for the next twenty years and beyond with her partner.

 

“I love you more, Mrs. Kang. Are you ready for bed?”

 

“Yeah, today was quite a day.” The couple leave the room hand in hand as they make their way to the bedroom.

 

“I can’t believe you gave Sooyoung a hug. I’m sorry but her face when you did that, you scared the poor girl less.”

 

Joohyun laughs some. “Yeah, well I am her mother-in-law. She should fear me some. I am glad about today, though. It was really a step in the right direction.”

 

“I’m very proud of you, Hyun. Before you know it you’ll probably be good friends with our daughter-in-law. As we welcome those grandbabies of course.”

 

“Oh, no. We won’t be welcoming any grandbabies right this moment. I am too young to be anybody’s grandma.”

 

Seulgi chuckles and kisses her once more. “You will be the most beautiful grandma, Kang Joohyun. Goodnight, honey.”

 

“Night, Seul.”

 

Joohyun is able to sleep well that night as she thinks today was an important day for their family. The four of them only have to look forward from now on, and she knows her wife was right that everything would be just fine.

 

“Yeah, we’re all going to be just fine.”



 

A/N: I hoped you all enjoyed this story. I did enjoy and had a good time writing it over all. Joohyun was able to make the right moves into accepting her now daughter-in-law because she would never want to lose Yerim. But you did see at least some of why she was acting the way she had been. I wanted to end the fic on a good and positive note where everyone is going to look forward together and keep being a family. So yeah imagine in a few years things are fine, Seulrene are grandparents and Joyri are still happy and in love. Thank you for reading everyone.