Back to South Korea

Dusk Till Dawn
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He was an unknown face to my eyes.

 

The minute I took a step in into the arrival hall of an airport my hazel brown eyes which were already heavy and tired from the long hour’s flight locked with his. This man was tall, had a shortly trimmed hair which were naturally dyed white on both sides of his temples and bore a clean shaven face with no expression whatsoever. He most probably should be running in his mid fourties now because of the presence of few tiny little creases around the corner of his eyes and a long wrinkled skin on both sides of his lips, they remained intact even when there appeared no smile on his face. He stood among the crowd of people who were waiting for the arrival of their loved ones with a small name card on his right hand. Kim Chae Young, it displayed. I looked at him for a while not able to really recognize his face but what caught my attention was him knowing my name.

 

Why would he be waiting for me? I wondered as I averted my gaze off him and walked past through the lobby outside the exit door. A chilling wind slapped my face hard as soon as I step outside and my skin broke into several tiny goose bumps. Seoul’s crazy winter was indeed shaking my soul and freezing my body. I rubbed the palm of my hands together to generate some amount of heat and then enveloped my chest combating the cruel weather. I wandered my eyes around as I saw path covered with thick snow coat, leaves less trees standing on the either side of the road which were turned green to brownish in color and a tall lamp post on the corner of the road. A faint aroma of coffee coming from the other side of the building passed through my nostrils as I sniffed the very air in satisfaction. I walked to the corner and settled my as* on the top of my luggage bag, taking out the cell phone from the side pocket of my jacket I began to scan through the goggle map to my home only to let out a big sigh a minute later.

 

This is hard! I slipped my phone back to the pocket and grabbed my hair in frustration.

 

I have just landed from States and I was tired af. I know, I know, since it was a long hour flight one could have gotten enough of the rest times but I just couldn’t rest my body because my stupid mind was constantly on run thinking about so many complex things. Furthermore, I have had hard time understanding the map.

 

I closed my eyes and covered them with the palm of my hands as the earlier scene flashed on my brain. Was he looking for me? I wondered because I clearly remembered my name written on the name card. But who was he? That man can’t be him. I shook my head in denial.

 

"Excuse me! Are you perhaps Miss Kim Chae Young???"

 

I was startled by a sudden voice coming from behind me. I quickly turned my head to see the same man now approaching me. I immediately stood on my heels and faced towards him with my confused eyes.

 

What does he want? and how the hell did he find me out?

 

“Miss, are you by chance Kim Chae Young?” The man repeated himself again as he flashed the same name card in front of my eyes, snapping me out of my thought cascade. I looked at him and back to the name card, a sudden gust of anger flared up in my eyes instantly. Anger because I am always addressed as Park Chae Young but hearing someone call me by KIM that too after a long long time felt like an insult to me. Not many people know my last name. I go by my mom’s last name in States but to be reminded once again by somebody that I belong to the KIM’s bloodline only caused my blood to boil in a speed of light. KIM is my Dad’s last name which I never bother to write down or include in any of my academic forms simply because to me I was and I am Park Chae Young not Kim Chae Young.

 

“Y-yes” I mumbled slowly gritting my teeth and letting him know that he got the right person. If only I could remove that tag off me. "But who are you?" I questioned him examining his face meticulously.

 

That man took a breathe in relief as a tiny faint smile flashed on his face. “Hello Miss. I’m Park Hyun Sik. Chairman Kim has ordered me to take you home” He gave me a gentle smile and a 90 degree bow.

 

"Chairman Kim huh???” So he did send someone to me? Wow! since when did he really care about me? My brain instantly rushed to scan through the several images stored safely deep inside my head. My body shivered and my fist clenched tightly upon seeing the same cold and calculative face in front of me, greeting me creepily. Till this date I couldn’t forget that face. The face that I never wished to see ever again and the face that I always hated with all my heart.

 

“Shall we go Miss?” I heard Mr. Park speaking. After shaking my thoughts away I gave him a small nod. “Let’s go Mr. Park".

 

After almost half an hour of the car ride and couples of big yawns, we finally arrived to The Kim’s Mansion. The guards quickly opened the gate with a bow and the car drove inside the mansion. As my eyes wandered around the big lawn through the glass window I was greeted with my childhood memories. I used to play hide and seek with my mom here. It’s still the same. I was brought back from my past when the car stopped all of a sudden. Mr. Park quickly got off from the car and opened the car door for me. I was puzzled for a moment with the kind of gesture he showed towards me but then how can I even forget?? I am a Chaebol’s daughter here not a regular Korean girl that used to attend school in States. I got off from the car and took a quick glance around the place. In front of my eyes stood this grand mansion. The mansion was huge and built in European style with lots of handwork done to magnify the beauty of this British piece. There was a huge swimming pool with crystal blue water at the front and a big garden at the backyard with hundreds of varieties of different flowers and pine trees. I remembered my mom planting a yellow hibiscus flower once. I believed it was her favorite flower. She loved gardening after all. After our parting from here, she always worried about this garden and thought about it being a mess by now but to my surprise no, it exactly looked the same like how we left behind. I wondered how?? As far as I know Chairman Kim, he was never the type to preserve other people’s memory. He didn’t even care if mom was alive or death back in days. How could someone be this selfish?? His only priority in life was his business and money and even if it meant to neglect his family he would've just happily done that. His business came first after all. A money minded jerk!

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter