A Safe Place

Forever, On Hold


a19543dabd5cebb4e0f47612a83d2189.image.359x500
 

His flat was located in the heart of Seoul, with nothing to boast about. It was a moderate place to live in for a guy like him. You could see laundries hanging on the small balconies, housewives pushing their babies in prams or working girls wearing casual clothes, enjoying a lazy Saturday.

He was well known in the neighborhood. The good looking Jung Yong Hwa. Usually, everybody greeted him. But that day, with a bride towing behind him, everyone stared speechless.

Yong Hwa wished he could spare her the discomfort. There's nowhere to run, though. They shuffled together in the parking lot that also had a basketball field and a simple playing ground for kids.

A bride with a long, pretty white gown and a while veil hanging down her back, following Jung Yong Hwa. It was undoubtedly something shocking for the onlookers.

“Oi, Jung Yong Hwa! Where did you steal that bride?” a nosy housewife asked loudly.

“Oh! Eonnie’s dress is so pretty!” a little girl praised, running close and grabbing a handful of her gown.

His neighbor, a high school guy, came and directly asked, “Hyeong, where did you get this cutie?”

Enough was enough.

“Let’s move faster” he told her. He clutched her hand and more or less dragged her to the elevator where he pushed the button number six.

“Sorry about that. Your dress draws attention, after all”

He brought her passed a narrow, barren hallway, before inserting his key on number 628. “Here you go. Welcome to my place.”

The place was small, with no individual room. His bed was placed on one corner, there was a space for a very small dining table, couch, TV, a coffee table, and his closet. A door to the bathroom on one corner, and that’s about all of his place.

“It’s not much. But I like my home”

Joo Hyeon nodded awkwardly. The clothes he wore the night before were thrown on his bed, which was unmade. The dishes he used for breakfast were unwashed, and there were several PS3 CDs in front of the TV.

It was a guy’s place, no doubt.

“Please sit down, Seo Joo Hyeon-ssi.”

“Um…..may I wash my feet in your bathroom?”

She was holding her dress up, showing her ankles.

His eyes widened, “You were bare feet? How—“

“I threw away my shoes when I ran out the house”

“But—mianhe, I didn’t know. Was the parking lot hot earlier? You should’ve told me! I wouldn’t—“

“It’s alright, Jung Yong Hwa-ssi. May I?” she asked, pointing the bathroom.

He nodded.

Seo Joo Hyeon opened the bathroom carefully. In her place, she had a spacious shower and a comfortable bathtub. This one was very small with only a shower box and a toilet.

She pulled up her dress even more and the shower head, holding it with one hand, and started to wash her feet.

It was past 12 PM and Yong Hwa analyzed the content on his fridge. He had beer and water. And instant coffee.

He’d just offer her water, then.

For food, he usually didn’t bother and just dine out. All he had was instant ramyeon in the house.

Probably she’s hungry?

Oh well. Something is better than nothing, right? It’s one of his mottos.

So he just boiled two packs of ramyeon with eggs.

He turned in reflex when he heard the bathroom door opening. She walked out, the edge of her gown making shuffling noises on the floor, carrying her veil in her hand.

He knew he was staring. It’s kinda hard to avoid. So he cleared his throat to snap out of it,

“Ramyeon is okay for you?”

“Oh? N—ne. Gamsahamnida”

He put it in two big bowls and served it on the coffee table.

He brought water with two mugs, giving her a pair of chopsticks and a spoon.

“Eat up. At least this will stop you from being hungry.”

She smiled gratefully.

His heart skipped a beat.

“Em…..do you have something to tie my hair?”

“Hairtie?”

“Ne”

He stood up and looked around his mini kitchen.

“Will this do? I don’t have anything else”

It was the rubber band used for wrapping ttokbbokgi packaging.

She took it and tied her hair.

And then she began eating. Slowly at first, before getting faster, full and she drank the soup quickly with the spoon.

This girl is sure starving.

At one point she choked and he pushed the mug closer to her.

“Slow down. Aigoo. When was the last time you eat Seo Joo Hyeon-ssi?”

She inhaled and drank the water. “Yesterday for lunch. After that I forgot meals at all”

She finished when he was only halfway down and then sat looking at him, for the lack of nothing else to do.

“I play music at a café tonight. I will leave at 5 and won’t come back till after midnight. You can stay here if you want.”

She stared at him with a serious expression. “You’re a generous guy.”

He chuckled. “It’s not everyday I come across a runaway bride, right? I’m just doing what everybody in my place would. You can stay somewhere else for the night if you’re not comfortable. I’ll drive you anywhere you want to”

“Like I said before, I don’t bring any money”

“You can borrow mine. I won’t be able to pay for any five stars hotel. But I have a friend who runs a motel near here”

She considered but in the end said nothing.

“Or you can just stay here” he smiled, “I’m generally a well-behaved host, if you need confirmation”

“I can see that already” she answered awkwardly. “I’ll……use your hospitality some more and stay for the night. If you don’t mind” she politely asked, bowing to him.

“You are welcome here” he bowed back, amusement evident in his voice.

He gathered their bowls and brought that to the sink.

“I can wash that for you.”

“In that wedding dress? Not a chance” he denied good naturedly.

She stood up and sat on his couch.

“You won’t be comfortable in that dress for the whole day”

That was when she started to feel afraid. 

Does he mean.......?

“Don’t be scared.”

“I’m sorry. Was it that obvious?”

“Ne. Don’t worry. I don’t strip unwilling girls.”

She blushed furiously.

He laughed. How sweet, he thought.

Her discomfort could be sensed, filling the room with awkwardness.

He stood near the sink, making distance for fear of scaring her.

“I can help you buy clothes. Now. If you’ll tell me your sizes.”

“But I don’t—“

“Bring any money. You’ve said that already. You can borrow from me first. No big deal. You don’t expect to wear that dress till tomorrow, right?”

She helplessly shook her head.

“Okay. Malhebwa. I’ll go to the nearest mall and buy it for you.”

She told him her sizes and off he disappeared out the door.

*******************************************

It was something new for him. Buying clothes for a girl. Sure, he accompanied girlfriends to go shopping before. But he had never chosen anything for a girl yet.

Well, since he’s the one buying and he didn’t know what she’d like, he just chose simple dresses with basic colors. He bought two, because well, she’d want to change.

He accidentally passed an undergarment booth and realized she didn’t tell him her underwear sizes.

Should I or shouldn’t I?

It would be awkward, he thought, looking at all the girls choosing one pair and the next at the counter.

But he’s the kind of guy who faced scary things head on.

He’d just have to guess her sizes.

*******************************************

“This is casual clothing for you?” Seo Joo Hyeon asked incredulously.

“Isn’t that casual?”

“Jung Yong Hwa-ssi. These are party dresses. Moreover, the colors are silver and gold! How come this is casual in your mind?”

"But the cut is simple."

He stared at her wonderingly as if asking, “Why the hell can’t you just be grateful?”.

She smiled in disbelief and shook her head.

“Algesseumnida. Since you took the trouble to buy this for me, I’ll use this gratefully” she said, going to the bathroom to change.

She came out after a while, carrying her wedding dress, wearing the dress he bought and the new underwear.

He must have quite a lot experience with women, she thought. Even the underwear fit perfectly.

“Thank you”

“Don’t mention it” he said easily, giving her a hanger. “Here. For your wedding dress”.

She hung it and he put it on a nail beside his closet.

They sat and chat together until he had to go to work. They found out that she was 25 while he’s 27. She’s an editor in a publishing company while he’s a free-lance singer that performs in cafes. She loved goguma while he loved spaghetti. She played piano and he played guitar. He watched drama series and played games in his free time while she preferred to read books.

In two hours, they talked more about themselves than they usually did to anybody else. They talked non- stop until there came a moment when words ran out and they just stared to each other’s faces silently, wondering why it was so easy to talk like that.

He decided he liked her eyes. It has a life of its own.

She found she enjoyed listening to him speaking. He has a nice voice.

“I have to go” he announced, breaking the odd moment.

“Algesseumnida”

He went to the shower, freshened up and changed clothes, before coming out. He took his guitars, both the electric and acoustic, and gave her a spare key.

“If you need to go anywhere, don’t forget to lock up. This place is safe, but still, don’t forget to lock after I’m gone.”

She nodded.          

“You’re going to be alright?”

“Of course.”

He nodded and left for work. He wanted to say “Take care” or “I’ll be home soon” but it felt too much. So he just smiled as she closed the door and heard her locked it.

*********************************************

When he came back at 1 AM, she was sleeping in his couch, using a pillow and the spare sheets she found in his closet to keep warm. His bed was made, the pans and glasses were cleanly washed. His PS3 CDs were arranged neatly beside the TV.

She had been busy.

He moved carefully around, not wanting to wake her up.

He wanted to ask her to move to the bed but decided it’s better for her to continue sleeping.

After a half an hour, he too, slept on his bed.

*********************************************

She woke up around 3 AM. Forgetting where she was and panicking, looking around for a clue. She saw Yong Hwa sleeping on his bed. And her wedding dress hung on a nail near the closet.

The sadness came rushing in. She remembered seeing Dong Hae and her best friend since high school, Chae Rin, making out in the bathroom, her blouse ed, his hands inside her skirt. She remembered her parents kissing her “Congratulations” that morning as the stylist gave final touches on her face.

She remembered the sea of guests and the face of Dong Hae, determined but ashamed eyes, thinking she’d still go on with the wedding.

And she remembered running away that very moment, not caring about anything else anymore.

And then there was this red jeep, a stranger, and she was now in this little room that turned to be her only refugee.

Desperation washed over her and she started crying.

Because it hurt. So bad.

She cried and cried, for the happy ending that was now ruined, for hopes of a life-long love, and for the betrayals from those she thought would love her forever.

She cried until her body curled, tensing on the couch, shoulders shaking and breaths heaving.

And then there was something warm on her arm.

Yong Hwa had woken up and came to her with a box of tissues. She took the tissues but only held it without using it.

He left to get her water and gave her the mug.

She only shook her head as tears kept streaming down her face.

She hid her face behind her hand as she screamed her sadness out, felt full with sharp needles.

He pulled her up and into his arms.

“Ssssshhhh. Seo Jeo Hyeon-ssi. It’s going to be alright. Don’t cry.”

In her sorrow, she blindly hugged him tight.

“He slept with her! My best friend!” she choked, sobbing hard. “I loved him!” she screamed sadly, hitting Yong Hwa’s back with her fists. “I’ve loved him so much! How could he do that to me?”

Yong Hwa wanted to kill that guy. Whoever he was. He had no right to make her this broken.

“It’s going to be alright……….”

“Nothing is going to be alright! What am I supposed to do now?”

“You can rest. And think about what you want to do. You’ll get over this. Time will heal you”

“Why! Why is this happening to me? What did I do wrong?”

“Sssshhh……” he rubbed her back, wanting to erase the pain away. “You did nothing wrong. He’s the idiot, okay? Come. Stop crying”

But she kept crying. On and on until there were no more tears. And he held her until she stopped, lifeless in his arms.

“Sleep in my bed. It’s more comfortable for you. I’ll sleep on the couch”

“No. Thank you. And I’m sorry for—waking you up—like this”

He already lifted her up and moved to his bed, placing her there, covering her with the blanket.

“Sleep. Have no nightmares.”

She watched as he wrapped her completely under the blanket, wanting her to feel warm.

“Why are you so kind to me?” she asked with a little voice.

Yong Hwa was kneeling beside the bed, and froze with the question.

“Maybe I’m just a good guy” he joked.

She smiled, her eyes puffy and cheeks wet.

“I think you are a good guy.”

“Thanks. Will you be able to sleep now? You don’t need me to hug you until the morning, right?”

She was shocked with the teasing and quickly shook her head.

“Ahrasseo. Sleep well, Seo Joo Hyeon-ssi. As long as you’re alive there’s a bigger chance that things will get better. Good night. I’ll go back to sleep now” he said, patting her hand.

He turned off the lamp, lied down on the couch, took a deep, loud breath, and then she heard no more voice.

She was in a stranger’s house. In a dark place.

To feel safe was absurd. But indeed that was what she felt.

Before knowing it, she too, fell asleep again.

*********************************************

Author's Note :

I'm currently hooked with this story. So I'm planning this to end first before resuming ON. Maybe this will be five parts. Or shorter. Hopefully this will end on Sunday so I can continue writing ON again on Monday. 

Thank you for all the comments on the first part. Will reply to all when I have time. Tell me what you think about this one too, okay. Have a great day.