The Aftermath

Forever, On Hold

 

Yong Hwa waited until 5 PM that day, hoping she would come back. But she didn’t. And he had to go to yet another café to sing.

Visitors commented he sang melancholic that night, mostly choosing sad songs about one sided love, heart breaks, and wishing to turn back time.

His dinner tasted bitter that night.

It amazed him how everything felt lifeless that night.

Or maybe it was him who was feeling lifeless.

He had hoped, he had strongly, dearly hoped that she would be there when he came home.

But she wasn’t.

For the first time in a long while, the small apartment that he always thought comfortable was just a mere lonely box.

********************************************

It took a long time for her to sleep that night. She woke up in the morning, approximately at 7 AM, staring at the ceiling of her apartment, feeling drained and scraped to her last ounce of energy.

When she said yes to listen to Dong Hae’s explanation, she did it to make sure everything had ended. Zero. Over.

She had prepared herself for listening to something terrible. But……..it was more, far more horrible than she bargained for.

They went to the little Japanese restaurant they frequently visited, even until two days before the planned wedding.

She had braced herself, she had prepared herself for something bad. Yet, it was too…..rotten for her to digest.

Dong Hae said, his tone dry and wary, that he had been dating Chae Rin since the first semester, before he even met her. And then his family’s textile company almost went bankrupt due to some intern management corruption and Chae Rin said, “I have a rich friend. If you have her, maybe you can save your company and your family.”

And there it went on.

He had never loved her. Everything had been a well-scripted, well-played drama. He made her fell in love in hope that her family would save his company in the long run.

“I know it was evil and…….heartless” he said himself.

By that time, Joo Hyeon felt she had come out from her body and listened to him from the side.

“Me and Chae Rin carried on dating because well……we couldn’t stop seeing each other.”

“One day, a week before the……wedding, Chae Rin cried and confessed how guilty she had always felt over you. I’ve actually…….felt that way to. Everything I did for you, was because I cared for you. You were so innocent. So……pure and kind hearted. We promised we’ll stop seeing each other after I married you. But then we acted stupidly and…….you found us out.”

“I don’t think you’ll ever be able to forgive us, right?”

Joo Hyeon was so stunned and had to control her breathing for a while.

Maybe it would feel better to break up bitterly but still have a good memory of the time they’ve spent together. At least she would be able to say, “It was good while it lasted.”

But she couldn’t even do that.

All the good times, the precious memories, the promises………..those were all lies. In fact, she never had anything. Her love life, apparently, had been nothing but a secret, cruel, unrivaled joke.

“Hyeonnie……please say something. Scream at me. Slap me. Anything except this silence.”

She wanted to scream at him but couldn’t.

Finally, she clasped her hands together and started clapping. It began weakly, before going louder and stronger.

Dong Hae’s face turned to ashen once he saw her doing that.

“I have to honor you. I really do. You have such a brilliant talent in acting. Five years. For five years you've successfully tricked me. You must have thought that I was such a hopeless idiot.”

“You’re the kindest girl I’ve ever known” he countered anxiously.

“And yet you’ve deceived me for so long! Had I not found out you were having with her in the bathroom of my father’s house, I would have married you!” she yelled at him, angry tears spilling from her eyes.

“One question.”

“Okay…..” he said weakly.

“Why are you telling me everything now?”

“……….We couldn’t go on. I guess…….we want to receive your punishment…….whatever it is……….we want you to hate us…….we deserve that.”

“Jjinjja? I could pray for you too” she said sharply. “I pray, that the guilt you’re both feeling for me won’t be erased until you’re both dead. I don’t want you to die soon, I want you to live knowing that you’re both miserable human beings who broke and deceived an innocent girl. I won’t say I will hate you both forever, because I want to move on as soon as possible. But there is one thing I will do. I will completely forget your existence. Good luck with your company because my family will never, ever give you a cent for it. After this, don’t appear in my life anymore. Or I’ll find a way to destroy your life.”

She was having breathing difficulties by then, but she got up, and walked away without saying anything more. He called her name, offering to drive her to her apartment, but she completely ignored him. She managed to catch a taxi, came home to her place, lied on her bed, and cried until her tears dried.

That done, she finally fell asleep.

In the morning, she woke up and immediately opened her wardrobe. Taking out all the dresses, shoes, and handbags he ever gave her. And the jewels too.

He made a lot of effort to nail her in. No doubt about that.

The thought of having it in her possession made her feel nauseous now.

Next, she put all the pictures she had with him in one plastic bag and threw it out to the bin.

Afterwards, she called three cleaning service girls who were busy cleaning the hallway of the apartment floor from end to end and dumped the dresses, bags, shoes, and jewels to them. As if she was dividing peanuts to her pets.

That done, she took a long shower. Scrubbing herself hard, desperately wanting to feel clean again.

It was 4 PM when she went to her kitchen, hungry and looking for food. Before her wedding, she had cleaned her fridge, knowing she’d go for her honeymoon to Phuket. She had nothing else except two packs of instant ramyeon.

She had a policy of not eating too much instant food, it was unhealthy.

But what else can she do, she was starving.

So she boiled water in a big pan and put the ramyeon in.

And zap! It hit her.

She remembered Jung Yong Hwa giving her instant ramyeon with eggs the first day they met.

Jung Yong Hwa.

The angel that was beside her through the most difficult time of her life.

He had no wings. Instead, he had a red jeep.

If he’s here, he’d be the one cooking the ramyeon. It wouldn’t be just ramyeon. It would be added with eggs. And his mother’s home made kimchi.

He’d also brought her a cup of water and told her to eat slowly, to enjoy her food.

If he’s here, he’d hold her through her sorrow and misery and assured her that everything would be alright.

If I were with him I wouldn’t feel this sad.

If I were with him……..

She had to sit down on the chair and try to understand the faster beating of her heart that happened just because she was thinking about that guy.

“He’s perfect, isn’t he?” she asked to the empty apartment.

Of course he was. He’s a dream came true. He’s kind, he’s responsible, he’s attentive, he respected her, he didn’t mind getting in to uncomfortable situations for her sake……….

He’s handsome.

And he’s real.

It’s been one day and I miss you so much.

I wish I could be with you for one more day.

I wish I could be with you for the rest of my life.

The insane confession made her ate her ramyeon quickly, before she ran to her bedroom and chose the prettiest dress she could choose for the occasion, putting make-up to impress. High heels on, she ran to the door and out.

She got in her red mini cooper at the parking lot and drove to his place.

If there’s one thing she knew after what she had experienced that week, was the good and the bad guys.

She’s not going to take a chance this time. She wanted that guy to be hers. She’d ask him out first. If he only saw her as someone pitiful, then so be it. She’d work hard to make him loved her too.

For yes, it’s only been four days. But she knew she’s in love. Deeply. And she’d fight for it.

*****************************************************

His night was miserable. He tossed and his bed until almost dawn, his mind busy imagining what she must be doing with her ex fiancé right now. It’s hard to think otherwise. That guy must have begged her to come back. And for the look of it, she must have forgiven him.

The morning was much worse.

As the hours went by, he felt like throwing everything he possessed to the wall.

What are you doing right now? Are you with him? Am I never going to see you again?

He cursed himself for being so stupid. He hadn’t asked for her number. Idiot. But they’ve been staying together for 24 hours for three days. There was no need for phone numbers.

He should have asked her.

Why is such a beautiful girl must be owned by someone else? Why? Why didn’t I meet her first and able to call her mine?

Why did I have to meet her? I didn’t ask to have her running to me in a wedding gown, broken and lost. He had wanted to protect her from day one. To never, ever see her cry again.

She’s feminine, funny, intelligent, liked music, loved reading, and so honest.

She’s everything he’s been searching in a girl.

By 4 PM, he almost lost his head.

He definitely had no mood to sing anything so he called in sick to the current café owner in his schedule that day.

I’ve had enough of this. I need to see her again, he decided, taking his keys and leaving the place.

**********************************************

She rummaged her handbag in the parking lot.

Bingo!

She still had it.

The spare key he gave her the first day he left her for the mall.

She walked fast to the elevator, feelings mixed up between nervous and eager.

If he says no, I’ll persuade him. I’ll reason to him. I’ll even beg for him.

She arrived on 628 and knocked the door.

Her heart fell to the floor when he didn’t answer.

She used the key to open it. It was empty.

He must have gone already to the café.

But she didn’t know which. He performed in different cafes every day.

She sighed heavily.

I’ll just wait, she decided. I’ll just wait and talk to him when he’s home. I hope he’ll listen to me.

She looked around and saw that the place was messy. He hadn’t tidied it.

She dropped her handbag and began tidying the place.

********************************************

Miss Seo Joo Hyeon had left the apartment, said the receptionist at the impeccably decorated lobby.

Oh God. Is she staying at his place?

It ate his heart but he decided to try his luck by waiting.

One hour.

Two.

Three.

And finally he went out of the apartment building, dragging his feet one by one.

I want to see you.

I want to see you!

I just want to see you. Even for one last time.

He looked blankly around the parking lot.

And then it hit him.

Tiffany.

************************************************

He came to Tiffany’s place, and literally begged for Joo Hyeon’s phone number.

“You mean you’re not with her?”

“No. She’s with her ex………or at least I thought he’s not already—“

“Son of a !” Fany cursed. “Oh no! Sorry! Not you, I mean. That Dong Hae jerk is. And that Chae Rin! Urgh!”

“She went with him yesterday”

“Why would she do that?” Fany asked incredulously.

“To hear his explanation”

“Oh dear. I don’t feel well. What if something went wrong? What if she’s in trouble?”

Her wonderings brought him to panic, but there was nothing he could do. She immediately called her friend. But Joo Hyeon was not picking up.

“I hope she’s okay. She’s smart. She can take care of herself” Fany said, more to convince herself than the guy standing forlornly beside her.

“This is her number” Fany told him, showing her phone screen. Yong Hwa immediately copied it.

“She’s the kind of girl who’ll never run to her parents in trouble. She wouldn’t want to worry them. She usually comes to me or Chae Rin. Or Dong Hae. Let’s just wait for news. If I hear anything, I’ll tell you, okay?”

That was the best he could get, so he just left Tiffany’s place, mumbling a thank you.

************************************

When he inserted his key to his door, he heard the TV was on.

He was perfectly sure he had turned it off before leaving.

His heart beat faster and he opened up the door quickly, almost banging it to the side in the process.

And there she was, sitting crossed legged on the couch, a magazine on her lap, watching the history channel.

“Seo Joo Hyeon” he called out with relief.

“Jung Yong Hwa. Welcome home”

“Are you alright? Did anything bad happen?”

“Something bad happened. But I’m fine now”

“What did he say?”

It might be inappropriate but he had to know. He just had to.

“He’s been deceiving me since the beginning. Him and Chae Rin. Apparently, he just wanted me for my money. For my parents’ money. To safe his company. Awesome, isn’t it? I’ve been stupid for five long years, and what I believed real were all lies”

“Bastard” he cursed, hating her sad face above all, “I’m sorry. It shouldn’t have ever happened to you. You don’t deserve any of this.”

“Thank you. I appreciate it.”

He walked closer to her. Wanting to be close enough to see her face clearly.

“Time will heal you. You’ll find someone else better than him”

“Maybe you’re the best that exists………..” she said slowly, so low he was sure his ears deceived him.

“What?”

“Maybe you’re the best guy I’ll ever find in my whole life.”

He stood paralyzed for three seconds, eyes wide and lungs not taking any oxygen. Before he reached out for her wrist, wanting to touch her. Wanting to be sure it was real.

“Jung Yong Hwa. You’re the kindest, most genuine person I know. You saved me last Saturday. I can’t imagine what will become of me that day if you weren’t there………You’ve given me one thing that I need most. The feeling of safety.”

Her eyes were pooling with tears yet again. But this time it’s not from pain. It’s from the effort of pouring her heart out.

Maybe it was the bravest thing she ever did in her life.

“You took me in though you know nothing about me. You pity me when I’m at the lowest point of my life. And you’ve given me a whole lot more than anyone else ever did, beside my parents.”

His eyes roamed her face, desperately wanting everything she was saying to be true.

“I know…..it’s only been four days since we’ve met. But I’m falling in love with you. You will think I’m crazy but this feeling is real…..you said you’re single. So please…..if you can…..please give me a chance…..”

He was silent, staring at her.

“This is the hardest thing I’ve ever said in my life. Please answer me. Say something. It’s even alright to be angry at me…….do you think I’m strange? I know this is hard to believe but—“

“Is this real or are you saying this just because you feel grateful to me?” he asked, walking closer still.

“I—I do feel so grateful to you. But this is beyond that……..I—I lo—love you. I sincerely feel it”

Hearing it for the second time assured him it was not only in his head.

He held her elbows and pulled her closer, their bodies brushing together.

“Last night was the worst day of my life. I thought you’ve forgiven that guy and you're back with him.”

Her insides twisted and churned and did somersaults.

“I could never go back with him. Not after knowing what he did. Not after I’ve met you.”

“Seo Joo Hyeon. I’ll have you know that I’ve never lost my sanity over a woman before you. I’m glad it was me you ran into. Just thinking about you with someone else is unbearable. Please, please tell me it will never happen again.”

“It will never happen again” she promised, clutching at the shirt on his shoulder.

“You’ve come back” he uttered gratefully.

“Can I…….stay the night?”

“Yes”

“Tomorrow night too?”

“Yes!”

“And the next?”

“And the next and the next. Don’t ever leave me.”

She was gripping on his shirt and he was pressing her waist close. They were practically glued together, breaths getting faster and faster.

“I love you………” he confessed, tilting his head and breathing on her face, his lips were so close with hers. “Can I kiss you?”

She felt like fainting but managed to nod.

“The problem is, I’m not sure I’ll be able to stop after kissing you”

That did it. She had no strength to stand up anymore and hugged his neck for support.

“I won’t ask you to stop…….whatever you want to do, I’ll gladly do it with you.”

He brought his face down and made their lips met.

They were both closing their eyes for the first few seconds.

His imaginations were right. She did feel so good. Her lips were soft and sweet, complying his wishes and opening up under his encouragement. He with small nibbles, her lips to show her he loved how she tasted, and held her chin to kiss deeper.

His kisses were passionate, full of desire and emotion.

He wanted me, of that she could tell. It’s in the way he meshed their lips over and over, drinking her breaths and bringing her to the clouds.

She couldn’t tell when but at one point she sighed satisfyingly into the kiss. She moaned in pleasure too. Probably when his hands started to feel her over. Up and down her arms, down her back, up her belly between and on her s, making her mumbled something incoherent in their kiss

He had never wanted a woman so much. But then again, there was no woman like her. She’s the one he’d adore to no end, and God it felt like holding a Goddess.

A Goddess he was dying to claim. Beauty that he wanted to experience.

Though they’ve known each other for a very short time, they were both adults, and they already said they loved each other. So it was alright, wasn’t it?

“I want you………Seo Joo Hyeon……..I want you so much………..let’s do this………..”

She didn’t answer but only pulled him by his shirt, closer. Not away, but closer.

He’s about to lose control and she was showing him all the signs that she too, was willing.

He crushed her lips with his and kissed her hungrily, his hands roamed her body more urgently, before he reached her behind and pushed her body against his hips, wanting her to feel how desperate he was.

She tensed with the gesture, before kissing him faster.

He pulled away to take a good look at her face. She looked frantic. The desire in her eyes was evident, and she couldn’t bear not to touch him. She kissed his cheeks, left and right, before raining kisses all over his face.

He felt her dress and found the zipper, kissing and her earlobe as he opened it, hands then pushing the dress off of her, leaving it on the floor as he picked her up and brought her to his bed.

He lied her down and knelt above her, spreading kisses and caresses on every inch of her. His lips loved her neck, making it immediately wet, inhaling her sweet scent and adoring the white, white skin.

He sought her lips again and ate her lips, one hand molding her and the other caressing her between her legs. His delicious torture made her lifted her body up to meet his, s pressing his chest, hips bucking in a wordless begging, her long hair spreading on his pillow.

His hands reached behind her back and took off her bra, pulling it off through her hands, and throwing it to the floor beside the bed.

Shyness took the better of her and she bit her lip, covering her s with both her hands.

The movement escalated his heart rate to a dangerous level. He wanted to own this girl immediately. Now.

He hooked his thumb on her underwear and began to slide it down.

“It’s going to hurt, isn’t it?” she asked worriedly.

The question made him froze above her.

He stopped doing anything else and looked at her face. He saw fear and insecurity there.

“You mean……….you’ve never done this before?”

She blinked. Before shyly nodding her head.

He sat up and reached the sheets, covering her body with it.

“I thought you were with him for five years?”

“I was. And I’ve always…….stopped him before he began to undress me”

He was shocked.

She’s a ?

This beautiful, sensual woman is a ?

“Joo Hyeon, then why are you doing this with me?”

He sat there looking like he didn’t know what to do, as she sat up to level their faces.

She said nothing and in turn, took a good look at him.

He had wanted her like mad until seconds ago, until he knew no one had ever touched her.

Are you worried for me? Do you fear of hurting me?

“I was being an idealist. I want to give my ity to my husband on my wedding night”

“But I’m not your husband.”

“Will you?”

She asked that without thinking much. She realized it was what she wanted after the question was uttered.

The question knocked his breath away.

This woman was almost completely in front of him, in his place, on his bed, underneath his sheets.

And yet she’s still able to steal his sense of sobriety.

He took a deep breath and answered her head on, “I wil.l”

“Are you saying that just because you want to do this or do you seriously mean it?”

“I mean it. There’s no chance I’ll find someone else like you”

“I had a bad experience recently. You won’t blame me for wanting to be convinced, right?”

Unbeatable, he thought. One of a kind. The one and only, in fact.

“Let’s go to my parents’ house in Busan, tomorrow. I’ll introduce you to them and tell them I want to marry you. After that, let’s go to your parents, I’ll tell them my intentions and that I want it as soon as possible. How’s that? Convincing enough?”

She answered by flinging her hands around his neck and kissing him urgently, taking off her hold on the sheets covering her and climbing on his lap.

No mortal could stand such an attack, including him.

He welcomed her gladly, kissing her whole heartedly, feeling ten times more in love with the girl he was holding.

And then he remembered something.

“Wait. So you don’t drink any pills?”

She shook her head.

“Oh, oh. I need to do something then” he said, leaving the bed for his closet, undressing as he moved. He ed his shirt when he opened the closet, took something from  a pack, opened his jeans, and shrugged out of it.

He wasn’t wearing anything when he sat back on the bed.

In front of her, he knelt and wore the item.

“We need to talk about pregnancies. But at least I’m making it sure you won’t get pregnant tonight”

Joo Hyeon blushed so hard as she watched the whole ritual.

Her insides felt like it swell and she felt like exploding.

She approached him exactly at the same time he reached for her.

They began kissing each other again, hands busy touching everywhere, squeezing and scratching and caressing.

She was squeezing his muscled arms when he squeezed her behind and she slid her arms on his chest when he caressed her thighs.

The heat built up and she started again when he started to kiss down her body, and took his sweet time upon her s.

She threw her head back and cradled his head, stretching back in a shuddering movement.

And she almost fell from the bed.

“Ahhh! Omo!”

But he caught her in time, pulling her in.

“Why is your bed so small? We barely fit together!”

“Well, I know how we’ll fit. You lie down as I lie above you” he said seductively, lying her down and kneeling on top of her, before intimately covering her with his weight, kissing her again.

She trembled with the feeling, and hugged him to her heart.

He didn’t stop at her lips. Instead, he moved down, kissing and every part of her until she gripped the sheets, jolted up, and called out his name.

He came to her lips again and kissed her, but this time his hands steadied her hips too.

“Ready?” his voice rough with lust but his eyes was clear.

He’ll make sure I’m going to be fine.

I believe in you.

She nodded.

“Hold on to me”

And then he went inside her.

Inch per inch, ever so slowly, watching every changes of expressions, hearing every intake of breath.

He felt her internal barrier and stopped moving.

“I love you. And I swear I’ll marry you.”

She nodded, too caught up to say anything.

“Tell me you’re sure of this.”

“I lo—ve y—you. Yong Hwa. Don’t hurt me. Don’t be with any…..one else. Because I’m giving everything I have for you.”

“Ne. Trust me”

She closed and opened her eyes, and held him tight, the tightest that night.

He pushed through her layer and went all the way fully, feeling her trembled and broke inside, before adapting and receiving him. He struggled to do it as slow as possible, but she still cried in pain, tears gushing out.

He kissed every inch of her face, motionless inside her, caressing her sides soothingly.

Until she felt her stopped tensing and lying soft and ready underneath him.

That was when he started moving. Owning her, claiming her, marking her.

She whimpered in pain as he slid in and out. He went on like that, very, very gently and finally a little harder when she started and gasping underneath him.

“Yong Hwa-yah……..” she called out. “Yong……….” she called throatily, brushing her body underneath his, purring with raw satisfaction.

He began to rock rhythmically inside her, on and on and more, until he groaned and released. He kept going until she too, closed her eyes and reached her ultimate pleasure.

*********************************************

The sun streamed through the window and Joo Hyeon woke up feeling warm.

She blinked and took in everything she saw.

I’m in Yong Hwa Oppa’s place. We made love last night, and said we loved each other and wanted to marry.

She had hoped to feel loved and cherished that time. She was looking forward to this time a month ago. The location was not Phuket and the man holding her was different than her visions, though.

But what’s happening was beyond her hope.

And it was the right guy after all.

The guy who was currently having his arms around her waist and kissing her neck, once, twice, thrice.

“Do you always wake up at seven?”

She smiled and turned to him.

“Ne”

“Morning.”

“Morning.”

They stared into each other’s eyes.

And he’s the one who freaked out first.

“Save me from those eyes of yours! Jebal! No, save me from yourself! You’re too pretty for your own good!”

“Mwo???” she giggled, “What are you talking about?”

“You. So beautiful. Do you know that? It’s hard to breathe properly sometimes.”

“Jeongmal? It thought it’s the other way around.”

He hugged her more comfortably under the covers.

“Oppa.”

“Hm?”

“Is it true? That you’ll take me to meet your parents today?”

“I already said so, last night. Weren’t you paying attention?”

“I was! I’m just— I don’t know what to think….”

“Feel certain” he assured, reaching past her head to take his phone.

He dialed his mother and put it on speaker phone.

“Oh. Yong Hwa-yah?” a melodious greeting was heard from the phone.

“Omma. Have you been well?”

“Neee I am. And you?”

“Perfect. Listen, Omma, is there something special you need to do today?”

“Emmm, nothing except going to groceries.”

“Otherwise you’ll stay at home?”

“Ne”

“Excellent. Omma, I’m going home today.”

“Jjinjja?”

“Ne. I’m bringing someone over”

“Who?”

“The girl I want to marry” he said smoothly, eyes looking down at her.

His mother ran to a series of fluttering happiness and he just smiled.

“We’ll be there around dinner time, okay, Omma?”

“Yes! Oh my God. I can’t wait to see her! I thought it will take you years and years. Is she nice? Is she pretty? Can she cook?”

Can you cook? He mouthed silently to her.

She shook her head.

“She said she can’t Omma. But she’ll learn hard, including from you.”

“Certainly. At least she’s willing to learn. Oh, I can’t wait! Bring her here! Palli!”

“Dinner time, okay, Omma? See you later.”

He hung up and challenged her eyes.

“There. Happy?”

She nodded. Before saying nervously, “I can’t cook.”

“I can” he answered easily. “But I’d love it if you learn”

“Ahrasseo”

He nodded and pulled the sheets off of her.

“Again?”

“Wae? Shiro?”

He had taken her again and again the night before. It overwhelmed her how he’s all excited again.

“I thought we’re leaving for Busan”

“Not until 12, Hyeon. And there’s still 5 hours before that”, he said, finding her thighs and coaxing it open.

“Five hours” she repeated.

“Let’s use it wisely”

She closed her eyes and let him took her flying again. Within his embrace.

***********************************************

Author’s note :

Will edit tomorrow. It’s 2 AM in my place now.

I just had to finish this. I can’t sleep before that.

I already knew how I wanted to end this, but I had second thoughts of the rating. I played on making this PG-13, and then decided the physical union was necessary for explaining how they feel for each other.

The justification is, though they’ve known each other for only four days and are practically strangers, they fell in love. Deeply in love. The kind of love we’ll be lucky to experience in our lifetime.

So if they are strangers who can have a ual after meeting once in a bar or nightclub, why can’t two people who knew each other for four days and want to spend the rest of their life together do that?

It’s been a happy addiction and I’m glad I wrote this.

I know there’s still room to continue but I want to concentrate on ON again.

Thank you all for commenting. For this part too, please tell me what you think. The comments mean a lot.

PS : Isn’t the song perfect for the couple?