An Emotional Outburst

Forever, On Hold

 

Following their agreement the night before, Yong Hwa drove her to her apartment. If he suspected she was rich before, he was sure now. Her apartment was located at the most expensive area of Seoul. All the electronic devices inside were of the most updated model. From the pastel furniture, the paintings, to the frames of pictures screamed “the most expensive”. As she went to her bedroom, he looked around. In every room, there were pictures of her with her fiancé. Hugging, holding hands, eating together. All showed her smiling brightly with soft, sparkly eyes.

She looked so in love.

It hurt to know that everything didn’t work out for her.

The guy in the pictures was indeed good looking. The kind girls would easily fall for. But he too, looked genuine in the pictures. Either it was all an act or it was taken before he slept with another, Yong Hwa wouldn’t know.

Joo Hyeon came out from her bedroom rather quick.

Her eyes were wet with tears.

“Oh! I can’t bear to be here! Stupid actually, I loved this place a lot until the day before my wedding. Everything now reminds me of that jerk and I can’t stand a minute longer here!” she said furiously, banging the framed picture Yong Hwa was looking face down.

“Let’s leave this place”

She was carrying a large traveling bag, going out the door before him, fuming in the elevator.

Yong Hwa didn’t say anything and just followed her.

Amusing wasn’t it? He felt content to just be there beside her, knowing he helped by being there. Once more, he cursed that guy inside.

If I have her, I’d never, ever let her go.

*****************************************

“Aigoo, I forgot taking my toiletries. I was too worked up in wanting to leave as soon as possible”

“You want to go back?”

“Aniya. Can we go to the supermarket there? There’s this body foam that I really like…..”

“Sure”

He idly walked beside her as she put things in a red plastic basket in the supermarket.

“Didn’t you say you only need body foam? It’s a whole lot more than that” he pointed.

Joo Hyeon stopped humming and looked at her basket. She bought lotion, body scrub, colognes, tissues, vitamins, tea, and so on, and so on.

She giggled and shrugged, “Well. I guess I need all these things”.

They passed fresh food section and she exclaimed loudly. “Ah, right! I’ll make it for you”

“What?”

She bought honey and some papaya.

“What’s that?”

“Papaya and honey with warm water is very good for throat. I’ll make this for you. As a thank you gift. You're a singer after all”

His eyebrows went up before chuckling, “How sweet. If you’re this nice I might just lock you in my place and never let you out”

He was joking but it made her stop in her track, shocked and blushing.

“Wae?”

She struggled to make a funny answer when someone called,

“Joo Hyeon?”

Yong Hwa and Joo Hyeon turned to that direction.

A guy was standing there, a girl clutching his hand.

“Oppa?” Joo Hyeon called in disgust.

Of course it was her ex-boyfriend for five years, her failed husband to be. Her old would be true love.

Along with her best friend since childhood.

“Where have you been? Are you alright?” Dong Hae asked, reaching for her shoulder.

“DON’T TOUCH ME!” she screamed out loud.

“Joo Hyeon-ah, I’m sorry for what happened. We were—“

And she slapped him on the cheek, as hard as she could.

“You dirty. Filthy jerk. You slept. With my best friend!” she spewed bitterly, shaking with fury.

“I’m sorry, Joo Hyeon. I know you’re mad. I am entirely to blame!”

“You. I’ve loved you! And yet you screw my best friend! If you don’t want me, you should have the decency to break it off between us. What were you hoping? Marrying me while sleeping with her behind my back?”

“Hyeonnie, don’t blame Oppa. I was also the one to blame. I—“

“Don’t you dare talk to me!” she said, walking back and away, hitting Yong Hwa’s chest, who steadied her from falling.

“You. Of all people. How could you?” she asked brokenly, tears spilling out from her eyes.

“Hyeonnie……I’m the one who confessed to him. Please don’t hate him, it was me who—“

“Enough! I don’t want to hear anymore. You can bang each other as hard as you want for all I care! For me, you are both dead! Do me the favor. Never, ever talk to me again. If we accidentally meet like this, don’t even think to come near me!” with that, she turned away and ran out of the place.

Oh God. This is not myself, she thought, choking on her own tears, leaning on the red jeep at the parking lot. I’m not someone who slap people and scream profanities at a public place. But it hurts so much, God!

She cried her heart out, tears streaming down her face, fist hitting her own chest from the pain of it.

Seeing them together was both hurtful and disgusting! They walked around happily like that, acting as if they did nothing wrong. How could everything end up this way, how?

Someone touched her shoulder and she turned around.

It was Jung Yong Hwa. Squinting under the midday sun, holding a plastic bag of what she wanted to buy but left on the floor when she sprinted out the place.

“Oh no. Oh, I’m so, so sorry you have to witness that. That was an ugly scene. I lost control and slapped that guy and scream my lungs out and—I’m so very, very sorry. Looking at them together was horrible and I shouldn’t—“

Wordlessly, he put the plastic bag in the jeep, caught her wrist, and pulled her in his arms.

“I assure you I’m usually a well behaved girl. I wish you didn’t have to see—“

“Calm down. You’re shaking so bad.”

She gasped and struggled for a breath.

Above all, she was so ashamed that Yong Hwa had seen her blew up like that.

“It’s okay. Let it all out.”

She clutched his shirt on his back, buried her face on his shoulder, and cried her sorrow out. Dong Hae. And Chae Rin. All her dreams of growing old together with the one she loved. Were all shattered now.

But it’s good. I can’t forgive him anyway. I can’t take him back after I know.

There’s no going back.

It’s still painful though. The sadness inside attacked her full force and she couldn’t do anything except succumbing to it.

If it wasn’t for the strong, warm body keeping her steady, she would have already fallen to the asphalt.

When she stopped, he was still holding her, rocking left and right in soothing movements.

He pulled back and dried her tears with his fingers.

She just realized what’s happening. This man just saw her making an embarrassing emotional outburst in a public scene, and yet he was still there, holding her through her heart break.

Angel.

That’s the only thing she could define him right now.

“Stupid guy” he said afterwards. “Look what he had lost.”

She could only stare at him. Almost gaping.

“Come. I’ll take you to my place. You need a nap.”

***************************************

She felt exhausted. Yong Hwa had suggested for her to sleep three times already. And she was going to follow that advice when the doorbell rang.

She sat up again on the bed, curious of who’s coming. She’s been there three days and it’s the first time someone came.

Yong Hwa stood silently in the doorway.

“Who is it?” she asked, even more curious, walking behind him to peek.

It was Dong Hae.

“You’re staying with this guy?” he asked, bewildered.

“It’s none of your business. What are you doing here?”

“Fany told me where you’re staying”

“What do you want?”

“Joo Hyeon. I’m here because I want to explain everything to you”

“Nothing could make me forgive you. So just get lost!”

“Please. Just this once. I want to explain to you.”

“Wanna come in? You guys don’t have to talk at the doorway.”

“I don’t want to hear it!”

“Please. I beg you. Just this once. I won’t bother you ever again after this”

Of course she wouldn’t agree, Yong Hwa thought.

“Fine” Joo Hyeon said.

Yong Hwa turned to her, surprised beyond belief.

She walked inside to take her hand bag and slipped into her shoes.

“I’m going out first” she said to Yong Hwa.

“Ahrasseo.”

He waited for “I’ll be back soon”, but she didn’t say it.

She walked first out the door to the elevator.

Yong Hwa saw Dong Hae walked in to the elevator.

And they disappeared before his eyes.

Will you come back? Or will you be back with him?

What am I gonna do without you?

The questions just came out of the blue inside his head.

He closed the door in hope to close his heart.

From having too much expectations.

*********************************************

 

Author's Note : 

16 June 2012

I assure you it's the only angst for this mini series. 

This is necessary, okay?

I want to finish this with one more part. 

Thank you for all the comments. I appreciate it a lot and will reply though it will take a long time. 

Tell me what you think about this chapter too, please.