f o u r

Give Me Love

b a e k h y u n

They were alone in the conference hall, sitting across from each other on soft red velvet chairs with a table between them. While Baekhyun sat upright with his hands folded in his lap and his ankles crossed together, the king was a whole other story. Yixing was leaned back in the chair, relaxed yet refined, one hand on the arm of the chair and the other under his chin, holding up his tilted head as he stared at Baekhyun with a scrutinizing gaze. His legs were spread apart at a shoulder's width and stretched out, causing his foot to brush against Baekhyun's. 

Despite being in Exodus, Yixing had managed to make it seem as though he was the ruler of the kingdom. Granted, if the meeting went well, he would be.

"How is your father?" Yixing asked, breaking the pregnant silence. "It's a shame he fell ill. I pray for his quick recovery."

"Thank you," Baekhyun said, smiling softly. "He is doing well," he lied. "He sends his regards, and hopes to see you again soon." Baekhyun lied through his teeth, knowing that Yixing had no idea about the gravity of his father's illness.

If anyone knew that Exodus's king was terminally ill, the kingdom would have been weak enough for anyone to take, especially with Baekhyun displaying no signs of taking over the throne. Though if it was Baekhyun's decision, he would have been declared the king on his twenty-first birthday. However, after the queen passed away, his father was determined to remain on the throne until Baekhyun found himself a suitable partner for marriage. He claimed that had Baekhyun assumed his position as King without a companion, he would have not only been breaking tradition, but he would have been in a vulnerable position to the kingdom. 

"I suppose we should just get to the point," Baekhyun said, trying to hide how uncomfortable he was under Yixing's stare. 

"Yes, the point," Yixing mused. "Our... unification."

Baekhyun's cheeks warmed. Why did he have to say it like that? 

"Surely, under the circumstances, you understand the position Exodus is in. My conditions are quite clear, King Yixing. Yours, however..." His voice trailed off as he made eye contact with the king. 

"My conditions," Yixing murmured softly, "are simple. I will offer Exodus protection and support. Under our unification, you will reign by my side as a king of Exact. Within the next two years, I expect an heir-"

Baekhyun coughed, choking on his own spit. A heir in two years? His eyebrows furrowed together as he thought of himself as a father. He shuddered and his hand subconsciously moved to rest on his flat stomach. 

"Are you alright?" Yixing asked. 

"Yes," Baekhyun replied hoarsely. "Continue with your terms."

Yixing paused, his eyes lingering on Baekhyun with a concerned glint.

 Slowly, he began to speak once more. "An heir within the next two years," he repeated. This time, Baekhyun kept quiet. 

They fell into another silence as they waited for each other to speak. 

Baekhyun gulped. Why wasn't he saying anything else? Surely there must have been more for him to say. "Is that... Is that all?"

"Surely you're aware of my position." Yixing's lips twitched into a semblance of a smirk, revealing the deep dimples on his cheeks. "I need nothing from Exodus. An heir as a pureblood royal- That is the best you can offer me." 

What was the proper response to that? "I see," Baekhyun said in a curt tone. "Even if that is your only term, we have much more to discuss. After our marriage, we will not only be Kings of Exact, but Exodus as well. That will leave two kingdoms under our reign. I suggest that we stay in our respective kingdoms when we can. If I am not in Exodus, Prince Kyungsoo will act as regent-"

"Baekhyun." The sound of his name coming from the king felt foreign and strange, though not unpleasantly so. It was so different than being called Prince Baekhyun. The sound of just his name alone sounded so personal and intimate. "I will not have my husband in a different kingdom than me. When I say that you will reign by my side, I do mean that you will be by my side." Yixing's eyes narrowed slightly. "Prince Kyungsoo will act as regent when we are not present." 

It didn't sit well with Baekhyun how Yixing spoke so demandingly. Granted, he was a king, but soon enough they were to be equals. A small voice in the back of his mind reminded him that he wasn't in a position to argue. His arrangement with King Yixing was what would determine the future of Exodus, and the lives of his people went first. 

"Of course, King Yixing," Baekhyun found himself saying softly. 

"Yixing."

"Pardon me?"

"Call me Yixing. There's no need for the formalities."

"Oh."

Everything about this was strange, Baekhyun thought. There were no official document to sign, nor any officials to validate anything that was being said- At least not yet. Their first meeting was simply to see if they could reach an understanding. It was only after this meeting would there be documents and agreements to sign. But it was also so foreign to talk about the wants and need of himself along with the kingdom. After all, this was a marriage. This was no ordinary contract among kingdoms. 

Baekhyun leaned forward, his silver hair falling into his eyes. "Yixing," he said, testing the name on his tongue. It felt strange without the title, though it brought a thrill down his spine to be able to speak so casually with the king.  "There are much more matters to discuss, though perhaps tomorrow? It would be best for me to show you the castle whilst there is still light." 

It was quiet as they walked. Baekhyun spoke softly as he showed Yixing around the castle, unnerved by how silent the king was. He fiddled with the silver ring that rested on his right middle finger, twisting it around in hopes to distract himself from how uncomfortable he felt. 

"The blossoms are nearly in bloom," Baekhyun said as they entered the courtyard. He looked at Yixing, who was staring at the large cherry blossom tree in the center of the land. "I recall you once said you wished to see them."

"Exact is quite beautiful," Baekhyun said as he sat down next to the wounded prince. His silver eyes watched Yixing with blatant worry as the latter closed his eyes and rested his head against the wall. 

Yixing snorted, an action so unrefined and so unlike royalty that Baekhyun almost forgot for a moment that he was talking to the prince of Exact. "Exact has its qualities, I suppose," Yixing said. "Nothing like the famous cherry blossoms of Exodus, however." 

Baekhyun smiled at the mentioning of the jewel of his kingdom: the blossoms in spring. The sight of the flowers were breathtaking, especially when the wind blew the petals in the air and painted the streets with the soft hues of pink. "Have you seen them?" Baekhyun asked, unable to recall the prince ever visiting Exodus during the spring. 

"No, but I would like to." Yixing slowly opened his eyes and grimaced at the discomfort around his waist. "They sound lovely."

Baekhyun nodded. "You should come next spring to see them in full bloom." He smiled genuinely. "Especially for our Blossom Festival. You would love it."

Yixing hummed, as if he was contemplating the offer. He knew deep down that he would never be allowed to make such a visit unless his father required something from Exodus. "Maybe," Yixing said. 

The smile on Baekhyun's face widened, causing Yixing's chest to ache. "Really?" asked the young prince. 

"Maybe."

"You remember that?" Yixing asked, sounding genuinely surprised. 

Baekhyun's face reddened as he nodded. He wanted to say that every moment he had ever had with Yixing was unforgettable. How could he forget the scariest person he had ever met? They had only met on a few occasions, but Yixing always made a lasting impression one way or another. 

"The festival is in a week," Baekhyun murmured. "If you would like-"

A distant shout rang in the air. 

Baekhyun's eyes widened. 

"Kyungsoo."

---

---

---

Sorry I've been gone!