t h r e e

Give Me Love

b a e k h y u n 

Sehun's meeting seemed to be a success, judging by the younger's satisfied grin as he entered the palace doors. Baekhyun wanted to scold his brother for returning so late from the meeting. It was only supposed to be a two day trip, though Sehun insisted on staying for another night. 

"Junmyeon," Baekhyun said, looking to his advisor for a report. 

"He did well, Your Highness. The meeting went as planned. There is nothing to worry about." Junmyeon spoke softly with a tired smile. Dark circles hung under his eyes as he found his place beside Baekhyun. 

"I apologize, Junmyeon," Baekhyun mused. "I have forgotten how tiresome Sehun is." 

Junmyeon shook his head vehemently. "Your Highness, there is no need for apologies. My duty is to serve you and the crown." 

Loyal as always, Baekhyun thought to himself.

"I am not tiresome," Sehun pouted as he appeared next to Junmyeon. 

Baekhyun scoffed. He recalled the last time he had seen the two, when he sent them off on their trip. 

"Is he ready?" Baekhyun asked. 

Junmyeon nodded, but there was clear doubt in his eyes. Baekhyun sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. 

"I don't have the time to attend this meeting. Go with him. Make sure he doesn't mess this up."

Junmyeon felt his stomach sink. More time with the baby prince? What had he done to deserve this kind of punishment? "Yes, Your Highness," Junmyeon said, bowing. 

"You're the only one he listens to," Baekhyun said softly. "You know that Sehun has a soft spot for you."

Junmyeon snorted. Sehun did not, by any means, listen to him. What the prince did do was stare at him and flirt. The hour that they spent trying to prepare for the meeting was filled with Sehun staring at his lips and commenting on how pretty they looked. The only thing that assured him that Sehun wouldn't mess up the meeting was the fact that the prince was able to recite everything back. 

"Yes, I heard you, Junmyeon. It's hard not to pay attention to that lovely voice of yours," Sehun had said with an eye roll. 

"And what is it that I said?"

"We need to secure our relationship blah blah blah... We provide our steel for their coal and crops blah blah blah..."

Sehun had given him enough reassurance. Still, he was now going to be stuck babysitting the prince for the rest of the day. Junmyeon never thought that as the royal advisor, he would spend the majority of his time watching over the youngest prince. 

"Is everything alright, Your Highness?" Junmyeon asked, noticing the troubled look on the eldest prince's face. 

Baekhyun didn't say anything in response. He glanced at the staircase where Sehun was descending. The younger's face was in a pout, but Baekhyun knew that his expression would change quickly. 

"I will not be attending the meeting. It will just be you and Junmyeon," Baekhyun told him with a small smile. 

In an instant, Sehun's face lit up with glee. He was practically skipping over to them, suddenly excited. His arm found its way wrapped around Junmyeon's, holding on tight as if he was worried the other would disappear. 

"What a shame, really," Sehun said disinterestedly. "We should just go now then. Bye, hyung." He practically dragged Junmyeon out of the palace doors, not even sparing Baekhyun another glance. 

Baekhyun watched with a small amused smile playing on his lips as the two entered one of the royal carriages. He made sure that there were guards following them as they took off, before walking off towards his office.

"I'm a delight," Sehun argued, his bottom lip still jutted out in a pout. However, his expression changed when he noticed the difference in the crowned prince's appearance. 

While all the princes always looked immaculate, Baekhyun was particularly dressed up. Instead of wearing his usual light colors, Baekhyun was clad in an all black suit. His suit was new, Sehun noticed. The stark black material brought out the prince's milky complexion and the kohl that lined his grey eyes accentuated the glimmer that they always held. His silver hair was styled and parted to the side, and rested on top of his head was a simple yet intricate golden crown. 

"Hyung, you look rather polished up for my return. I know you favor me over Kyungsoo, but it's quite unnecessary to-"

"Due to your late arrival, I have much to debrief you on. Go clean up and make yourself presentable. There is a meeting today with King Yixing of Exact," Baekhyun said. "He will arrive by noon. Do try not to embarrass the kingdom, Sehun."The last statement came out teasing, but the stern glare in Baekhyun's eyes showed that he was serious. The meeting today would determine the future of Exodus and Exact. 

Sehun's eyes widened for a moment. King Yixing of Exact? Sehun had never met him, though he knew his older brothers have. Exact and Exodus used to trade in the past, though over the years, their relationship had dwindled. They held an amiable alliance, however both kingdoms tried to stay clear of each other. The strict lifestyle of the people of Exact were quiet different than that of those in Exodus. Sehun had heard enough rumors about Exact to never wish to visit there. 

So why on Earth was King Yixing coming to Exodus? Was it due to the war? 

An uneasy feeling settled in Sehun's gut. He lowered his gaze at the crowned prince before excusing himself, knowing that if the king of Exact was coming, it meant there situation was dire. 

"Follow him. Make sure he is presentable on time," Baekhyun said, waving his hand at the servants that trailed behind him. 

Once they were left alone, Junmyeon spoke up. "Your Highness, a meeting with King Yixing...?" 

"King Yixing has offered military protection as well as training in preparation for the war," Baekhyun said quietly. His voice was so soft that the advisor had to strain his ears to listen. 

Junmyeon's jaw dropped slightly. "Your Highness, that is of upmost terribly good news."

Baekhyun nodded, but the solemn look on his face revealed the lack of joy in such an offer. "He has agreed to do so... In exchange for my hand in marriage." 

---

"You're gonna marry him?" Sehun asked in disbelief as a servant was fixing his hair. "Hyung, have you thought this through?" 

"Of course I have," Baekhyun said, narrowing his eyes at his brother. 

"But what about Chan-"

It was Kyungsoo who hit him. His steely grey eyes gave the youngest a burning glare. The message was clear. 

Shut up

Baekhyun felt a lump forming in his throat. In the past few days he found no words to say to the general. He had no idea what to say or how to say it. Was he supposed to apologize? Was he supposed to make the general understand his decision? 

Chanyeol, he thought miserably, I wish you were here right now

The three brothers stood at the entrance of the palace doors, looking as regal as ever. Their signature silver hair nearly seemed white in the sunlight, and their stormy eyes looked piercing with the kohl that lined them. They would have looked like angels had it not been for their dark attire. 

"Your Highness, King Yixing has arrived." 

It had been years since Baekhyun last saw Yixing. They had first met back when Baekhyun was fourteen. At that time, Yixing was eighteen and visited Exodus with his father as a part of his training to become king. Even then, Yixing had been scary. 

The people of Exact were never known for being hospitable towards strangers. They were cold and very disciplined, with each person knowing their role and never failing to complete it. They were so unlike the people of Exodus, who were much more lax and open, never failing to jump at an opportunity to have fun. 

Baekhyun remembered the clear distrust in Yixing's eyes when they first met. It was as if the latter had expected Baekhyun to suddenly attack him at any moment. 

The second time they met was when Baekhyun was twenty. By then, Yixing was already the king of Exact, and never paid him much attention throughout the visit to Exact. The king was always busy, but Baekhyun recalled the one time during a meeting when Yixing had talked to him, asking him about his thoughts on a petition from a small tribe to gain rights to a small mass of land. 

Baekhyun shuddered, remembering the way the king's eyes burned into him as he awaited for an answer he never received. 

"King Yixing," Baekhyun breathed out as the familiar figure approached. He bowed, as did everyone else when they saw the king.

Baekhyun felt his cheeks burn as he took in the king's appearance. King Yixing stood a yard away, clad in a all black, as Baekhyun knew he would be. Though instead of wearing a suit, he wore what looked like a less armored version of the Exact military uniform. The collar of the coat he wore covered his neck and was cinched around his waist with a belt. His pants were made of leather, and he wore thick combat boots that had clearly been in use for quite some time. Baekhyun, as well as the rest of the people in the room, did not fail to notice the sheathed sword by the king's  side. He looked more like a soldier than anything else at the moment. 

"Prince Baekhyun," came a low voice. 

Yixing had really changed over the years, Baekhyun noticed. The king had grown more physically, filling out his body well. He had gained muscles from the years of training and battling, and somehow, he had managed to look even more rugged. He had a dark brooding stare that made Baekhyun's stomach twist in knots. It was an unsettling feeling to be so unnerved by a single look.

"It is an honor to have you here," Baekhyun found himself saying, despite how weak his voice felt. "May I introduce my brothers, Prince Kyungsoo and Prince Sehun." 

The young princes bowed briefly, though Yixing never even spared them a glance. His eyes were only on Baekhyun. 

"Did you find your journey pleasant?" Baekhyun asked. His eyes looked over at the guards behind Yixing, but noticed two smaller men who were dressed simply. Baekhyun recognized one of the men as Minseok, the king's advisor. 

"The journey went well," Yixing said, his voice giving away no emotion. He was like a blank slate. It was so hard to read him. 

"Minseok, it's a pleasure to see you after so long," Baekhyun said honestly with a kind smile. His eyes flickered to the tall figure that stood closest to Yixing. "You as well, Jongin."

Minseok and Jongin bowed in unison, though whilst Minseok returned his smile, Jongin kept a neutral expression. 

"The pleasure is all ours, Your Highness," Minseok replied. 

"Your men must be tired from traveling." Baekhyun looked up at Yixing, trying to feign a confident appearance. "Kyungsoo and Sehun will show them to their quarters."

The king was intelligent enough to understand the hidden message in Baekhyun's words. 

"Our meeting will be private without your guards around." 

No one moved for a second- Not until there was slight nod from Yixing that signaled to his men that it was okay to follow the princes. But even then, as the rest of the men walked off, one lingered, hesitation clear in his eyes. 

"Jongin," Yixing said, his voice low and soft, yet filled with a warning tone. 

It came to no surprise that Jongin didn't want to leave his king alone. Since he was born, Jongin was raised to serve and protect the king. His place was by his majesty, and if he was anywhere else, he wasn't doing his job properly. Not to mention that he hated to be idle. If he was to be away from his king, he would have rather it been for a purpose and not to simply wait in a room to be called upon. 

"Kyungsoo," Baekhyun called out, causing his brother to stop and turn around. "Show Jongin to our stables." 

Slowly, Jongin made his way towards Kyungsoo. He and the prince exchanged nothing but blank stares, at a loss as to how to act around each other. Kyungsoo was not prepared to do more than to show the king's men to their chambers. Jongin was not comfortable to be away from King Yixing. They both took their orders in stride however, and disappeared from sight, leaving Baekhyun and Yixing alone. 

The crowned prince coughed quietly before extending his hand towards a hallway. He fought his urge to lower his eyes as the king looked down at him. 

 "Shall we then?"

--- 

---

---

Seeing your support makes my day :) I'm gonna be away from my computer for a few days so I'll try to squeeze in one last update before I'm gone.

 

Question! Do you guys want chapters around their current length (quicker updates) or longer chapters (longer updates)?