Chapter 6: Flashbacks

The Cold
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"We have a meeting in ten minutes, Mr. Kim."  the man dressed in a black suit stated, hurridly gesturing to his watch as Kibum finished gathering together his belongings. It had been a long day already and it wasn't even noon, but this meeting was important and he knew he had to put on his best face.

 

"You've far exceeded our projected initial growth for you, Kim Kibum." A middle aged man who sat at the head of the long meeting room table stated. His tone was all business, but Kibum could also hear the slight hint of excitement in his voice. He breathed a sigh of relief internally.

This meeting was to discuss his future at Snowfall Entertainment, the label he had been under contract with for the past 5 years. After 4 years of training, and then debuting a year prior, it was time for contract renewal. He knew that he'd grown a large fanbase during his first year as an idol, but even so he still had his worries about what direction the company would take once his old contract expired. Even if they kept him on, there were so many complexities to discuss and come to an agreement on.

Kibum glanced to his side, the man in the black suit was sat in the chair next to him. It was his manager, Shim Hyunseong. Hyunseong had been a friend of his for many years prior to his time at Snowfall Entertainment. He was the one person on the management side of this company that Kibum truly trusted and relied on. Hyunseong had gotten him his audition, and put in a good word for him.

"I'd recommend that we extend Kibum's contract for an additional 5 years sir." Hyunseong said.

"I agree, I agree." the middle aged man responded. "Kibum has done exceptionally well. He's broken records that even our top idols haven't reached, just within his first year. To do so well at just the rookie level leads me to predict that we have potential to break ground on the international level with him. Snowfall would like extend an offer for an updated contract with a 10 percent raise in your royalty payouts for all albums and official merchandise Kibum,"

"Thank you Mr, Lee, I deeply appreciate the offer to continue on with the company." Kibum couldn't help but smile as he responded, though he tried to remain professional.

"Good, lets go over everything with the lawyers and then tonight we'll go out for drinks to celebrate." The middle aged said, returning the smile before standing up from his seat.

"I'm going to go back to my office now. Mr. Shim, call me when Kibum's lawyer is ready for him to sign."

"Yes sir, we'll see you shortly." Hyunseong stood up and bowed to Mr. Lee, along with Kibum, before both men left the room.

 

 

 

The sound of laughter and music filled the bar as Kibum and his management team took their 4th round of shots. The evening was just getting started, but Kibum could already feel his face flushing red and hot from the alcohol. Life was going so well in right now.

 

He drunkenly giggled and leaned over to give Hyunseong a half hug. "Thanks so much for being here for me all these years. You're the best manager ever."

Hyunseong gave him a gentle pat on the head and smiled. "I've enjoyed all our time working together, and you really are so talented Key."

"It's time for another round of shots!" Mr. Lee called out while one of his interns refilled all the beer and soju glasses for the table.

After the soju bottle he'd been pouring from was empty it was passed around the table to see who could flick off the small metal piece that breaks when you open the bottle. It was a popular drinking game, though simple. Once the bottle reached Kibum and it was his turn to flick the metal piece with his fingers, it came flying off and landed in someone's drink across the table.

Naturally the whole table errupted in laughter, and Kibum had to take an extra shot.

"You get so red Key" Hyunseong chuckled and playfully nudged Kibum.

"I-I know." Kibum said, hiccuping halfway through his sentence. "You know I get drunk easily." He slurred, grinning the whole time.

"That you do." Hyunseong agreed.

"Hey, who wants kimchi pancakes?" one of the other men called out.

"Oh my god that sounds amazing right now." Key responded, still slurring. "I could eat so many kimchi pancakes."

 

 

"Take it easy Key" Hyunseong said, patting key's back as he sat hunched over the toilet vomiting. The bar had already been closed for a while, but the owner had been nice enough to allow Kibum and Hyunseong to stay back and use the bathroom. Until Kibum was feeling well enough to leave without vomiting kimchi pancakes all over th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter