Chocolate

Hitler's Iron Cross

Chapter 8 – Chocolate

 

Three years earlier…

July 23, 1943

Berlin, Germany

 

Wilhelm walked in the door to his family’s apartment to be greeted by his 4 year old sister, Emalia, running up to him and hugging his legs.

“Wilhelm! I missed you!”

Wilhelm laughed. He pried Emalia off his legs and lifted her up into his arms to hug her. He backed against the door till it shut with a click, then he walked into the living room, his little sister still clinging to his neck. Emalia’s adopted stray cat sat next to the bookshelf, its tail flicking. Wilhelm opened his arms, dropping his little sister onto the couch.

“You are much heavier than when I left. What have you been eating? You haven’t gotten into Mutter’s secret chocolate stash, have you?”

Emalia laughed, hopping off the couch and running to pick up her cat who protested loudly. “No! Of course not! I would never do that!”

Wilhelm held up his arms in mock defense. “Just checking!”

He looked around the room and asked, “Where’s Mutter?”

Emalia bent down to pet her cat that was rubbing against her legs. “She is in the kitchen.”

Wilhelm walked across the living room to the sunny kitchen. “Mutter, I’m home!”

His mother stood at the sink washing dishes, and turned at the sound of his voice.

She wiped her hands on a towel before enveloping Wilhelm in a hug. When she pulled away, she held him at arm’s length and looked him up and down asking, “Wilhelm, you’re home! Sorry I didn’t hear you come in. How are you? How was the camp? You didn’t get hurt, did you?”

When the flood of questions stopped, Wilhelm took a stepped away from his mom and said, “Of course not, I’m fine. You don’t need to worry about me. I’m 13 years old, I’m not a kid anymore.”

As Wilhelm finished saying this he saw the hurt fill his mom’s eyes. So he quickly added, “I had a great time at the camp.”

This sounded lame to him. He glanced again at his mom, who was still looking at her son expectantly.

“Um, we didn’t do anything too dangerous.”

This was also not completely true, but if he told him mom the truth at the camp he was pretty sure she would freak out. She didn’t approve of him learning military tactics and skills.

His mother looked at him skeptically. The sound of the front door slamming shut startled both of them. It wasn’t long before the imposing body of his father filled the entrance to the kitchen. When he saw Wilhelm he exclaimed, “I had no idea you were going to come back today! They didn’t kick you out, did they?”

“Of course not! In fact, I was promoted to Fähnleinführer. I am leader of my group now.”

“Wonderful!” His father’s deep voice filled the room, “And here your mother was wondering if you would do well. I, however, never doubted you for a moment!”

Wilhelm’s father turned to his wife, “I think we might need something sweet to celebrate. Maybe we can indulge in some of that chocolate you have been hoarding.”

His mom said indigently, “I don’t hoard, I have been saving it. And if you knew where it was then we wouldn’t have any.”

Wilhelm’s father laughed, walked over to his wife, and kissed her.

“I know, Maria. I’m just teasing you.”

Wilhelm suddenly lurched backward as Emalia clung to his legs. His mother glared at the little girl.

“Emalia! Stop that! Your brother is not a playground.”

His sister let go of his legs and stood up, a pout on her face.

“Come on,” Wilhelm’s mother said, taking the little girl by her hand, “You can help me.”

Then she looked hard at Wilhelm and his father, “You two can go wait in the living room. I don’t want you find my chocolate or it will be all gone by tonight.”

They walked out of the room. His father sat on the couch with a sigh and said, “I never get tired of living with your mother. She tends to keep you on your toes.”

There was a second of silence before his father continued, “You know I am very proud of you son. You and your sister are making me a very happy man.”

Wilhelm smiled. If his father was proud of him, that was all that mattered to him.

“You are making a good name for yourself and you are living up to the von Irmsgaard name. I could not be happier.”

 

The chocolate they had that night was the sweetest Wilhelm had ever tasted.