First Impressions

Hitler's Iron Cross

Chapter 12 - First Impressions

 

Wilhelm was happy when the elderly man finally let him go and stepped away from him, grinning.

“We’re just so happy you’re finally here with us! Melonie and Karl have told us about you and I am sure you will make a fine addition to the family.”

Wilhelm raised an eyebrow. He doubted it.

“Oh,” the man exclaimed, “I almost forgot to introduce myself. I’m Henry, or Grandpa Henry. Whatever you want to call me. “

“And this,” he motioned towards the elderly lady, “Is my lovely bride, Rachael.”

The white-haired lady looked sternly at her husband, “Henry! Come now, we don’t want to overwhelm the poor boy. Let’s get introduced first before you start overloading him with questions and information.”

She then turned to look at Wilhelm’s uncle expectantly.

“Oh, well,” his uncle said, still holding the plate of cookies, and looking flustered by the sudden shift of attention to him. “Henry, Rachael, this is Wilhelm. Wilhelm, this is your aunt’s mom and dad. They can be a little much at times.”

The old man, Henry, began to protest but was shushed by his wife.

“Oh stop it, Henry! You know he is only teasing you.” Then she turned to Wilhelm and said, “You can call us Grandpa and Grandma or just Henry and Rachael. Whichever one you feel comfortable with.”

She smiled, her green eyes filled with compassion, making Wilhelm look away. He felt uncomfortable under her gaze. He did not want her feeling any type of pity or sympathy for him. He let his gaze wander and it came to rest on the front door behind Rachael. He noted that the white paint on it was starting to flake off in one corner. Wilhelm’s uncle cleared his throat and continued, “Um, and these are my kids. This is Peter and Anna.”

He paused, expecting them to say something. But when there was just silence he glared at his kids and added, “Peter, Anna, why don’t you say hi.”

His tone of voice made it clear that it was not a suggestion. The girl nervously pushed a strand of light brown hair behind her ear and walked up to Wilhelm. She held out her hand and said, “Hi, Wilhelm. It’s nice to meet you.”

Wilhelm could feel everyone’s eyes on him as he quickly shook her hand. He could tell she was uncomfortable as she dropped her hand to her side and walked over to her mom. Wilhelm looked back at Peter. The boy had not moved an inch. Wilhelm’s uncle cleared his throat. Peter sighed and walked up to Wilhelm. He didn’t hold out his hand but stood stiffly in front of him and said, “Glad you’re here, cousin.”

Wilhelm could hear the anger in the other boy’s words. He had no idea what he had done to make the other boy angry. Whatever kindness their grandparents and parents possessed had definitely not passed on to their kids. Peter had not moved, but just stood in front of him glaring. Wilhelm crossed his arms again and waited. If this was a test to see how tough he was, he was not going to be the one to back down. Wilhelm’s uncle cleared his throat loudly, making both of the boys glance over at him. The man frowned at them. Their dislike for each other was obvious.

“I am sure Wilhelm is quite hungry, especially since he was unable to eat anything before everyone arrived. So why don’t we all go into the kitchen and see about supper?”

When neither of the boys moved he raised an eyebrow at his son and said, “Peter, why don’t you take this into the kitchen?”

He handed Peter the plate of cookies he had been holding. Wilhelm felt as if he had won some kind of small victory as his cousin angrily walked to the kitchen. He couldn’t help but let a small smile flash across his face. Wilhelm knew that this was not the last time this would happen. He knew that Peter didn’t like him even through they had only known each other for less than ten minutes. But for now, Wilhelm was satisfied to know that he had shown this boy that he was could not be intimidated and he would not back down. He was startled when his uncle placed his hand on his shoulder.

“Come on, Wilhelm. Let’s head to the kitchen.” He paused before saying, “And don’t mind Peter too much. He will warm up to you, just give him a little bit.”

Wilhelm highly doubted it. From his first impressions of his cousins, Wilhelm wondered if this would ever be the case.