The Car Ride

Hitler's Iron Cross

Chapter 7– The Car Ride

 

May 21, 1946

Missouri

 

Wilhelm felt as though he had been in his uncle’s car for an hour, but he figured it had only been ten minutes. Even though it was cloudy and cool outside, the interior of the car was warm and stuffy. The smell of hot leather filled the car.

His uncle had told his nephew to sit in the passenger seat, before putting Wilhelm’s suitcase in the trunk of the car. The engine had started with a sputter and they were on their way for what Wilhelm was sure to be the slowest car ride of his life. As they pulled out into the street, Wilhelm was trying his hardest to avoid looking at his uncle. He feared that this would start an unwanted conversation. He had no desire to talk with his uncle, but he knew it would be unavoidable.

They were traveling on an asphalt road that went past the train station. There were many cars either parked or driving. Shops, restaurants, and an occasional house lined the road.

Ahead, a group of kids on bikes rode out to cross the road. The old car slowed to a stop to let them pass, the breaks squeaking loudly as it did so. Wilhelm wondered if the car would even start up again. His uncle waved at the kids as they passed in front of the car.

“Do you like riding bikes?”

His uncle’s voice startled Wilhelm. He had gotten used to the silence and his uncle’s voice was not a comforting sound. Wilhelm knew his uncle would not rest until he had gotten an answer. Wilhelm had no intention in talking, so he did the second best thing: he shrugged.

“What do you like to do?”

Wilhelm desperately wanted to ignore his uncle. He was in no mood to answer any questions.

There was a long silence. The car turned off of the main road, onto a smaller side street. This one was lined with houses. Neat, virtually identical houses that made the street look fake. Wilhelm couldn’t imagine how someone could live in such a dull place.

“Is there a reason why you refuse to speak to me? Are you afraid of me?”

Wilhelm glanced over at his uncle before saying, “Nein!”

He was not afraid of his uncle. If anything Wilhlem was pretty sure his uncle was afraid of him.

There was silence once again. They had reached the end of the street of houses. They to a dirt road. Wilhelm guessed they were at the outskirts of Jefferson City. The houses were sparser and less neat on this road and there was more open ground between them.

“Well, do you want to tell me about yourself?”

Wilhelm wanted to say “nein” again, but he knew that wouldn’t go over very well. Was there anything he wanted to tell his uncle about himself? Not really, but he had to say something. Wilhelm thought for a moment before saying,

“I am a pure blood Aryan.”

Wilhelm waited to see how his uncle would react. Would he be mad? Maybe his uncle would stop the car and demand he get out; that wouldn’t be too bad, he was sure he could find his way back to the train station. He almost wished this would be his uncle’s reaction. Instead his uncle calmly said, “Is there anything else you want to tell me about yourself?”

Wilhelm was disappointed. Had his uncle even heard what he had said? Where was the violent reaction he had expected? So Wilhelm continued,

“My father was the Führer’s best general and was very proud to serve to protect the Fatherland.”

His uncle said nothing. Wilhelm was getting frustrated. The car bounced over two pothole before his uncle said, “Wilhelm, you aren’t in Germany anymore. I am not going to judge you by what your father has done or not done. Nor will I punish if you say the wrong thing. The United States is not like Germany.”

Wilhelm looked out the side window of the car, preparing himself for a lecture about how the US was the greatest country on earth, but it never came.

“Well, if you don’t want to tell me about yourself, then I can tell you about my family. It seems only fair that you know at least a little bit about them before you meet them.”

Wilhelm continued to stare out the window.

“Alright then, if you don’t have an opinion, then I’ll assume that you are alright with it.”

  1. didn’t care whether his uncle decided to talk or not, so long as it didn’t lead to any questions. He could easily tune it out.

“You have two cousins. Peter and Anna. They are twins and are both 14 years old, so just a little younger then you are. Your aunt’s name is Melanie. We have been married for about 18 years now…”

Wilhelm had already stopped listening. He had no desire to hear all about how wonderful and amazing his uncle’s family and life was. Wilhelm closed his eyes, resting his forehead on the window, desperately hoping that the rest of the trip would go by quickly.