Chapter 5

Saudade

Chapter 5

After solving Hanbin’s case, Jinhwan fell back into old habits and acted in accord to his usual routine. He woke up at eight in the morning to make breakfast for himself and June, as they both had to go to work. June was still working as a business analyst, while Jinhwan returned to the hospital to work as a doctor. As usual, he the television to watch the news while he was preparing the ingredients.

‘Yang hyun suk, who is the former president of YG Investment Bank, is found guilty of murder, assault and kidnapping. He is sentenced to life imprisonment…’ said the news anchor.

‘I wonder how Yunhyeong and Hanbin are doing,’ thought Jinhwan, as he spread butter on the frying pan.

The last time Jinhwan saw Yunhyeong and Hanbin was at the hospital. Yunhyeong leapt with joy as he saw Hanbin’s eyes open. Despite how hard the surgeons had tried, Hanbin’s left leg was beyond repair. This meant that Hanbin would have to walk with a stick and would no longer be able to exercise as you used to. Yunhyeong did not mind at all, yet Hanbin appeared to be frustrated with his condition as he did not want to burden Yunhyeong. Chanwoo was there as well and hugged Hanbin the moment after Hanbin had been thoroughly checked up on by the doctors. Hanbin did not hesitate and immediately introduced Yunhyeong as his boyfriend to his family as his mother and little sister went up to him. After Hanbin’s family had left, Jinhwan and June entered Hanbin’s room. Hanbin’s reaction to their appearance took them aback as usually people like him would not be able to recognize them. Hanbin immediately thanked them, which was followed by Yunhyeong and Chanwoo bowing to them with gratitude. However, with the lawsuit on their plate, Yunhyeong, Hanbin and Chanwoo soon got busy with getting legal help and testifying, and did not have to time to keep in touch with Jinhwan and June.

As if on cue, Jinhwan's phone rang and it was from an unknown number.

‘Hello,’ greeted Jinhwan as he answered the phone.

‘Jinhwan hyung, this is Hanbin. I was wondering if you and June have time to have breakfast with us today since everything's all settled now,’ said the person on the other line.

After ending the call with Hanbin, Jinhwan turned off the stove and woke June up.

Just like the first time Jinhwan and June met them in that cafe, they were welcomed by a waving Yunhyeong and Chanwoo, a clingy Hanbin by Yunhyeong’s side, and trays of food on the table. Everything had changed, yet again, nothing had changed between them- it was the same old bond they shared. They chatted about the old times and caught up with each other.

‘Umm...I'd like to give this to you two in person...and you two are the first guests invited to our wedding,’ said Hanbin shyly, handing Jinhwan and June each an envelope with gold linings.

‘Oh my God! Congratulations! How did it happen?’ exclaimed Jinhwan, surprised.

‘Hanbinnie proposed to me one day after work. It did take me by surprise since he never subscribed to the idea of marriage,’ replied Yunhyeong with a radiant smile.

‘Yunhyeongie, I'm willing to do anything as long as it makes you happy. If you're happy, I'm happy,’ said Hanbin, gazing lovingly at Yunhyeong, with his hand around Yunhyeong's waist.

‘That's way too much PDA,’ commented Chanwoo, faking an annoyed expression.

‘And, we have some bad news to break. We three are returning to the States since our work contracts have ended and we've resigned with the American office. Jinhwan hyung, June, we’ll miss you,’ said Hanbin.

‘I wish you three the very best,’ replied Jinhwan.

‘Me too. Yunhyeong hyung, I hope that you get open a cafe there one day,’ said June, who had been strangely quiet.

‘Thankyou, guys. How about you two? Are you guys an item yet?’ asked Yunhyeong curiously.

‘We are now,’ announced June, followed by him leaning towards Jinhwan and pressing his lips against Jinhwan's.

‘Donghyuk ah, I'm going now...since Jinhwan hyung and June have moved on,’ said Bobby, who was outside the cafe, looking at Jinhwan and June laughing happily.

Bobby gave Donghyuk a pat on the back and walked away, to a land where families, friends and lovers reunited, and souls rested in peace.

Lastly, thankyou for reading this whole thing! :)