Chapter 3

Saudade

Chapter 3

Jinhwan and June had been in the conference room for hours, discussing different solutions for Hanbin’s case. They typed Hanbin’s name in different search engines and databases, yet nothing, except his Facebook account, came up. There was absolutely no news of him going missing nor of his death. In order to get to know Hanbin better, Jinhwan rummaged through Hanbin’s Facebook profile. By the looks of his profile, Hanbin and Yunhyeong were definitely not low-profile about their relationship as most of his posts were either pictures of Yunhyeong or about how much he missed Yunhyeong when Yunhyeong was away on business trips. There was a person, who commented below all of Hanbin’s posts about Yunhyeong- it was none other than Chanwoo, who Hanbin said was Yunhyeong’s best friend. Chanwoo was probably one of their leads to the mysteries of Hanbin’s death, yet, Jinhwan had no idea how he could get to him as to confront him about such sensitive issues might put him on his guard.

‘Chanwoo works here, right?’ asked Jinhwan casually, while conducting his research.

‘Yeah, he works in the same team as me and Yunhyeong. Why?’ answered June.

‘I think asking Chanwoo about Hanbin would be easier since...you know...Yunhyeong might not take that well. Now, the challenge is to make him open up to him or, if necessary, to tell him about Hanbin,’ replied Jinhwan with a serious expression.

‘Chanwoo and Yunhyeong are inseparable like a two in one shampoo and conditioner. Wait, I think Yunhyeong has to work overtime tonight, but Chanwoo doesn't. I can ask him if he wanted to go to the karaoke tonight since Yunhyeong won't be eating with him tonight,’ said June, facing Jinhwan.

‘So that's where you go when you don't come home for dinner,’ said Jinhwan, with hints of dissatisfaction in his tone.

‘Chanwoo's just a good friend, nothing more. I'll go and ask him if he's got time tonight,’ said June, while walking out of the room.

June did not know why he had the urge to explain himself to Jinhwan- he just did not want Jinhwan to misunderstand him. Overthinking was not one of June's habit. He soon disregarded it as one of the many mind tricks that had been playing on him these days due to stress from both work and Yunhyeong’s case.

‘Chanwoo ah, do you wanna hit the karoke tonight?’ asked June casually.

‘Wait, let me check with Yunhyeong hyung first...Yunhyeong hyung, do you want to go to the karaoke tonight with me and June?’ said Chanwoo excitedly.

‘Chanwoo ah, sorry...I've got a meeting tonight. You guys go and have fun!’ replied Yunhyeong, who was organising the files on his desk, with a genuine smile.

‘Okay, I'll come. Should we meet outside the office after work?’ asked Chanwoo, full of anticipation.

‘Yeah, sure. I'll see you there,’ replied June, while walking back to the conference room he was originally in.

‘Jinhwan hyung, we’re going at six,’ said June, as he plopped himself down on the swivel chair, clearly exhausted.

‘Now, we just have to wait,’ replied Jinhwan with an unreadable expression, crossing his legs.

Jinhwan did not know what to feel anymore, after having experienced so many different types of emotions in the short span of five hours- it was like a rollercoaster ride for him. Undoubtedly, he was happy about doing what he enjoyed most before the incident. However, he could help but feel sad when memories of him, June and Bobby working together swept across his mind as they were in the past and only belonged in the past. 

Although Jinhwan was experienced in dealing with cases like Hanbin’s, Jinhwan was at a loss when it came to explaining why Hanbin was still intact and existed in this world, after two years of lingering around and clinging to Yunhyeong. There was no way that it was vengeance that kept Hanbin around since the person, who Hanbin found himself attached to, was his one and only love. The only plausible explanation Jinhwan could muster was that it was Yunhyeong's unfaltering and faithful love for Hanbin that had been feeding Hanbin’s spirit all this time. This made Jinhwan wonder how Yunhyeong's love could be so strong to the extent that it defied the laws of nature that had been governing the world for centuries. This was possible, but definitely unprecedented. Perhaps, one day, if luck befell Jinhwan, he would also love like Yunhyeong and be loved like Hanbin. However, deep down, Jinhwan knew that his love for the person he cared most would never be reciprocated. Envious, he was of Yunhyeong, as he was loved by both the living and dead, unlike him, who had nothing going well for him.

After an hour of thorough research, it was almost time for Jinhwan to meet Hanbin. Fearing that something bad might happen to Hanbin if he was left alone, Jinhwan arrived at the lobby of the office a few minutes prior to their agreed meeting time. Not long after Jinhwan's arrival, Hanbin emerged from the corridor and greeted Jinhwan. From Hanbin’s forceful smile, Jinhwan could tell that Hanbin was already missing Yunhyeong. Going off to the realm of the dead would without doubt be excruciating for Hanbin as he would have to wait for Yunhyeong’s turn to see him again.

‘Hanbin ah, you'll see Yunhyeong again tomorrow. And, now, we just have to wait for June and Chanwoo,’ said Jinhwan, trying to comfort Hanbin, who looked like a kicked puppy.

‘It's just that I haven't been away from Yunhyeong since. Just a heads-up Chanwoo is not as trusty as Yunhyeong, so you might have trouble persuading him,’ answered Hanbin.

Their conversation was soon interrupted by a series of heavy footsteps from behind, making them turn around. June gave Hanbin a small nod, telling him that his existence had been acknowledged, and he passed by him.

‘Chanwoo, this is Jinhwan hyung. Do you mind if he joins us today?’ asked June.

‘Of course not! The more, the merrier. Jinhwan hyung, I've heard a lot about you from June since he mentions you all the time,’ replied Chanwoo,with a mischievous grin.

‘I hope they were good things,’ said Jinhwan, followed by a chuckle.

The walk to the bus stop was full of laughter and joy as June entertained them with his lame jokes. Even Hanbin, who had a grudge against June, laughed along heartily. They continued their intriguing conversation as they seated themselves on the bus that arrived shortly after their arrival at the bus stop.

‘Try to bring up Yunhyeong now and stop making horrible gags,’ whispered Jinhwan into June's ear.

‘Ah, by the way, I have a favour to ask of you,’ said Chanwoo, facing June who was sandwiched between him and Jinhwan.

‘So, you know that I'm going to be away for around two weeks later this week because of my sister's graduation ceremony back in America. Um...how should I phrase this? I know Yunhyeong hyung is a grown man, but he needs to be checked up on every now and then. June, I think you are one of the very few, who could get Yunhyeong hyung laugh happily before the tragedy happened. It's totally fine if you don't want to do this. I could get her sister to fly in and look after him,’ said Chanwoo, changing the subject of their conversation.

‘Of course,  I don't mind helping out. I don't want to pry, but could you tell me why Yunhyeongie needs to be taken care of?’ asked June, under Jinhwan's order.

‘I guess Yunhyeong hyung had never opened up to anyone about this. Have you guys ever heard of the news about a young analyst going missing after partying at one of the clubs in Gangnam? Well...you guys might not know about it. His disappearance was kept low-profile since the club is affiliated with some high-rank government official. Anyway, the guy who disappeared was Yunhyeong's boyfriend and one of my best friends. At first, we thought that Hanbin hyung might have just gone on an excursion to clear his mind without telling us, yet after talking to the police officer, who was in charge of the case, we knew that he was probably gone, as she told us that cases that involved that club often ended up with the police discovering a body that matched the identity of the missing person. We waited for months for the officers to break some good news to us, yet one day, they called us into the police station to tell us that they had done their best to uncover evidence and that Hanbin hyung was very possibly murdered by some gang member. Of course, Yunhyeong hyung did not take the news well...neither did I. A body has never been found. After all, we only wanted to have something of Hanbin hyung to hold onto as it seemed like he had never existed in this world and was only a fragment of imagination. Yunhyeong hyung didn't only miss Hanbin hyung. He also wanted to apologise to him so badly for what he told him the night he disappeared. Yunhyeong hyung says this a lot to me: ‘If I got to talk to Hanbinnie again, I would tell him that I was sorry about that night and that I've never for once stopped loving him.’ There wasn't a night where he didn't cry over Hanbin hyung. He's got a lot better, but I'm still not convinced that he would be okay on his own since he had attempted suicide once and self-harmed for quite a few times. June, I know that you're a nice person and you really care about Yunhyeong hyung. Do you mind having dinner with Yunhyeong hyung and stay with him during weekends when I'm gone later this week?’ said Chanwoo with a sad expression.

It was not easy for Hanbin to see his favourite dongsaeng that down as people his age should be happy enjoying life instead of being stricken with grief. He wanted to go up to Chanwoo, give him a big bear hug and tell him that everything was going to fine. Chanwoo coped better than Yunhyeong, yet Hanbin knew that Chanwoo was still under the shadow of his sudden and wrongful death.

‘Of course not...and Jinhwan hyung will help as well. I'm really sorry about that,’ said June, looking at Hanbin to gauge his reaction.

‘Sometimes, I feel like Hanbin hyung is still around, watching out for us. Every time Yunhyeong hyung did some reckless things, I always happened to be around. It seemed like Hanbin hyung gave me those warnings,’ added Chanwoo, with a wistful smile.

‘Chanwoo, it might be hard for you to trust me since we've just known each other. What if I tell you that he could be around? I'm not fooling around with you and June can prove this,’ said Jinhwan, looking at Chanwoo, with a serious expression.

‘What? So you think that Hanbin hyung is still in this world? I've always been a skeptic, but I don't want to get my hopes up. You do know how serious this is, right?’ replied Chanwoo, with his body inclined towards Jinhwan.

‘Chanwoo ah, we’re not trying to prank you or something, so please try to believe us. We don't usually confide in people about this, but this is the only way for us this time. So, we're people, who can see the dead and communicate with them. Your Hanbin hyung happens to be one of them. He's not supposed to still be in this world and has to move on as soon as possible… and you're the key to this,’ explained June, looking at Chanwoo, who was looked back at him incredulously.

‘Are you for real? I'm not saying that I think that you're mental or something… but it sounds unbelievable,’ answered Chanwoo.

‘Chanwoo's very logical. You need concrete evidence to make him believe you. Just repeat what I'm about to say to him, word by word: I'm really sorry about not missing our game date on the Saturday I died...and your username is Satanwoo...Oh, by the way, stop using cheats to win against people. I'm the only one who knows about his gaming habits. Even Yunhyeongie doesn't know about it,’ said Hanbin to Jinhwan and June.

‘Umm...so Hanbin's here with us and he's just said this :I'm really sorry about not missing our game date on the Saturday I died...and your username is Satanwoo...Oh, by the way, stop using cheats to win against people. I believe this is a secret between you two,’ repeated Jinhwan.

‘Oh my God! This is ing creepy! Are you guys psychic or something?’ exclaimed Chanwoo, eyes widened with shock.

‘Tell him this as well: Don't let Yunhyeongie buy that vacuum cleaner, or else he will become more of a neat freak,’ added Hanbin.

‘He’s said something more: Don't let Yunhyeongie buy that vacuum cleaner, or else he will become more of a neat freak,’ said June, facing Chanwoo.

‘Holy cow! Hanbin hyung had always held a weird grudge against vacuum cleaners...and only the two of us know about Yunhyeong hyung's obsession with cleaning,’ said Chanwoo, obviously startled. 

‘So, do you believe us now?’ asked Jinhwan, gaze unfaltering.

‘Is he here now? Can he hear me?’ asked Chanwoo, who had recovered from fright.

‘Yes, he can and you can try t-’ answered June, whose speech was interrupted by the sniffling noise nearby.

As June turned towards the source of the sobs, a weeping Chanwoo came to sight. Having worked alongside Chanwoo for two years, June had never seen Chanwoo this vulnerable nor upset. He knew that Chanwoo was not one to cry in front of people as to Chanwoo, tears were a sign of weakness that should not be showcased to others, not even those he trusted. His cries were soft, like those made by a child, making the sadness that came through even more intense. June wanted to comfort him, yet he knew that Chanwoo had to let this all out of him, as this was probably the only chance for him to cry it out. Being Yunhyeong's nearest to a family in Korea, Chanwoo was the only person Yunhyeong could lean on all this time. Chanwoo had to act strong, otherwise Yunhyeong, whose heart was already shattered by the loss of Hanbin, might crumble even more. The only way for Chanwoo to deal with his feelings was to bottle them up and keep them sealed in his heart, yet he was just as disheartened as Yunhyeong. Moreover, all these years of witnessing his favourite hyung taking blame for the whole tragedy and punishing himself for what he had not commit had taken a toll on his mental health. Sometimes, Chanwoo wondered if hell could be even worse than what he was trapped in. He knew that both he and Yunhyeong had to move on from what had happened, however, they both were just as lost as the spirits, who were lingering around aimlessly in the living world.

‘Now, you know why I can't move on...I don't want them to mourn my death, even if it means that they'll forget me...since they've still got a life to live, unlike me,’ said Hanbin, suppressing a sob.

‘Sorry...That was unexpected. It's just that I missed him a lot,’ muttered Chanwoo, sniffling.

‘Let's get off at the next station so that we could talk privately,’ replied Jinhwan.

In response, Chanwoo nodded and followed along with June and Jinhwan, who were getting off the bus. Slowly, they walked together, side by side, talking about the randomest things ever, with Hanbin trailing along- this reminded Chanwoo of the evening walks with Yunhyeong and Hanbin. Chanwoo often wondered why the world had to be so cruel to take Hanbin away from them without warning. Justice was what he had to bring to Hanbin- he had to know what happened to Hanbin that night.

‘Well, this is our flat...It's kind of messy because June lives here. I'll go clear up the sofa for you,’ said Jinhwan, with hints of shame in his tone.

‘It's fine...Thanks for inviting me over,’ replied Chanwoo, sitting down on an empty chair that was in the midst of clutters of clothes and balled-up paper.

‘June, Yunhyeongie would not like that,’ commented Hanbin, while shaking his head at the mess. 

‘Is Hanbin hyung still here?’ asked Chanwoo hopefully, like a child asking for sweets.

‘He’ll always be a kid to me,’ said Hanbin, smiling happily like a proud father.

‘Your Hanbin hyung just said, ‘you'll always be a kid to him’,’ said Jinhwan, smiling.

‘He can hear me, right? Hanbin hyung, Yunhyeong hyung and I are doing better these days. I'll always be there for Yunhyeong hyung, so don't worry about it. And, for what had happened to you, I'll make sure the perpetrator pays the price,’ said Chanwoo, staring into distance.

‘Tell him to take care of himself more and move on from what had happened to me...since the damage is done and nothing could be done to remedy it,’ said Hanbin, looking at Chanwoo.

‘Chanwoo ah, you can look this way. Hanbin is standing in front of the television. He just told you to take care of yourself and to move on from what had happened to him,’ repeated Jinhwan.

‘No, Hanbin hyung, we have to find out who killed you. You were murdered! This is not okay!’ exclaimed Chanwoo.

‘The problem is Hanbin hyung can’t remember how he died. Chanwoo, why are you so adamant about Hanbin hyung being murdered?’ asked June.

‘Most people who ended up dead in that club were murdered by some gang member because of their drug use. Hanbin hyung's drug abuse was one of the reasons why the police did not take the case to heart as they thought that he was just one of those druggies. They just wouldn't understand that he only did drugs because of stress. He was not one of them,’ replied Chanwoo vehemently.

‘Chanwoo, I believe that you'd like Hanbin to move on to the next stage of life as soon as possible. To do this, we have to know how he died and bring him back to his body. Also, we have to grant all of his wishes before he runs out of time,’ said Jinhwan to Chanwoo.

‘What would happen if we couldn't do all of these?’ inquired Chanwoo.

‘He’ll fade into nothing, as if he never existed,’ answered June.

‘On the investigation front, we could work together to help Hanbin hyung. But, on the wishes front, it might be a little difficult, but not impossible. It has to do with Yunhyeong hyung, I guess. Hanbin hyung wants Yunhyeong hyung to move on from him, right? There's a guy called Donghyuk, who's expressed interest in Yunhyeong for around a year already. Yunhyeong hyung rejected him  for quite a few times, but he still chose to stick around to help him as a friend. Everyone could see that Donghyuk’s a good guy. And, he understands Yunhyeong hyung very well and is very caring. Oh, he works as an associate for the international law firm next to us. Hanbin hyung, Yunhyeong hyung's in good hands,’ said Chanwoo.

‘The problem is Yunhyeong is still stricken with grief. Do you think we could tell him about Hanbin?’ asked Jinhwan.

‘Umm...Yunhyeong hyung is a scaredy cat. I don't think he's good with supernatural things like this, but if it's Hanbin hyung, it might be different. We could try that out tomorrow. Should we meet at the cafe next to our office tomorrow morning? I'll get Yunhyeong to go with me,’ said Chanwoo, trying to suppress a yawn.

‘Chanwoo yah, do you want to go home now? We'll meet you at ten tomorrow morning?’ asked Jinhwan.

‘Thankyou so much for today, Jinhwan hyung and June. And, Hanbin hyung, I've never said this to you, but saranghae and gomawo,’ said Chanwoo, before passing through the doorway.

‘Nado saranghae, Chanwoo,’ said Hanbin, seeing Chanwoo leave.

‘Is that why you're so against me pursuing Yunhyeongie?’ asked June, who seemed slightly offended.

‘Yes and no. It's true that I trust Yunhyeongie with Donghyuk because he's very caring towards him and he understands him well. It's not like you're bad, June. You're a great guy, but you're just not for him. And, the main reason why I can't see you with him is that your heart belongs to someone else, not Yunhyeongie. Yunhyeongie’s not ready for another heartbreak,’ answered Hanbin, using gestures to explain himself.

‘What do you mean? I don't like anyone else other than Yunhyeongie. If he likes Donghyuk, then I'll give up, okay?’ retorted June.

‘Whatever you say, June,’ replied Hanbin, glancing furtively at Jinhwan.

‘Hanbin, stay with us tonight and tomorrow you can go back to Yunhyeong. I don't you to wander around at night alone since you might encounter some vengeful spirits,’ said Jinhwan.

After getting Hanbin all settled, Jinhwan started nagging June to go to bed as June could never get out of bed before noon on weekends. Getting everything sorted, Jinhwan retreated to his room and laid on his bed. Contemplating life before going to bed was part of his daily routine, yet today he was not going to follow his usual plan, nor would he in the future, as he had found a new meaning in life and knew that Bobby would not want to see him to sulk and do nothing. It was time to turn the page and start a new life without the shadow of the past. What he had to do was to get himself back in the industry and do what he enjoyed. As soon as he let his eyelids droop, he drifted off to sleep, but this time, without nightmares from the past haunting him.

‘Jinhwan hyung, it's nine already! Wake up!’ yelled June, with his fingers pinching Jinhwan's squishy cheeks.

‘What? It's nine already? God, we've gotta go in ten minutes, or else we'll be late!’ exclaimed Jinhwan, fidgeting.

‘Hyung, you'd better hurry cuz Yunhyeongie and Chanwoo always arrive early,’ chimed in Hanbin, who was standing next to June by Jinhwan’s bed.

After shooing Hanbin and June out of his room, Jinhwan opened his closet and randomly picked a pair of jeans and a white T-shirt that he quickly put on afterwards. He hurried through the doorway and ushered the two to leave the flat. 

‘Guys, stop bickering and walk!’ hollered Jinhwan at June and Hanbin, who were lagging behind arguing about whether or not Yunhyeong would take an interest in June.

With Jinhwan howling at June and Hanbin and the two constantly falling back into arguments, they finally arrived at the destined cafe. They were five minutes early, yet they could already see Yunhyeong and Chanwoo, who were sitting by the window, waving at them, with a smile on their faces. 

‘Annyeong, Jinhwan hyung, June,’ greeted Yunhyeong, smiling.

‘We've ordered coffee for you guys already,’ said Chanwoo, after greeting them.

‘Thanks, Chanwoo yah. Have you told Yunhyeong about that?’ asked Jinhwan, looking at Chanwoo.

‘Not yet...I didn't know how to start the conversation,’ answered Chanwoo, looking worried.

‘What's that? You can tell me anything you know,’ said Yunhyeong, giving them a reassuring smile.

‘June, let Jinhwan hyung do the talking. Yunhyeong trusts people who are older than him more,’ said Hanbin, who stood next to June.

‘Yunhyeong, I know that we've just known each other, but I hope that you'll be able to believe what I'm about to say. We know about Hanbin… and we can see him. He's here with us now and has been with you for quite some time already. I know that's a lot to take in, but...Yunhyeong, are you okay?’ stated Jinhwan, looking at Yunhyeong firmly.

‘Where is he? Can you let me talk to him or see him? Please,’ begged Yunhyeong desperately.

‘Jinhwan hyung, can you repeat what I'm about to say to him? Yunhyeongie, Donghyuk’s a good guy and it's time to move on. It really pains me to see you cry, so please learn to love yourself more. Remember, I'll always be around, like the moon orbiting around the earth. And, jinja neomu neomu saranghae,’ said Hanbin, eyes steady on Yunhyeong, in a soft tone.

‘That's what Hanbin said, not my words. Umm...Yunhyeongie, Donghyuk’s a good guy and it's time to move on. It really pains me to see you cry, so please learn to love yourself more. Remember, I'll always be around, like the moon orbiting around the earth. And, jinja neomu neomu saranghae,’ said Jinhwan, embarrassed by what he had just said.

‘Chanwoo ah, that does sound like Hanbinnie, doesn't it? Jinhwan hyung, I trust you. I know that you're not conning me like the other mediums. Can you please let me see him once more?’ said Yunhyeong, hopefully.

‘Yunhyeong ah, we can't do this...it's just not possible. Those scammers lied to you,’ replied Jinhwan, eyeing June.

Although disappointed with Jinhwan’s answer, this was the best Yunhyeong could have. Yunhyeong was not going to let this long-awaited chance slip; he was going to communicate with Hanbin as much as possible. The cafe date ended up with Yunhyeong and Chanwoo speaking to Hanbin through Jinhwan and June.

‘Yunhyeong ah, I'll leave Hanbin with you now. You can talk to him whenever...it's just that…’ said Jinhwan. 

‘I can't hear him. I get it, Jinhwan hyung. Thankyou so much for everything,’ said Yunhyeong, finishing Jinhwan's sentence.

After thanking Yunhyeong and Chanwoo for the coffee and bidding them goodbye, Jinhwan and June excused themselves and took their leave. Jinhwan chose to take things slow with Yunhyeong since he wanted to make sure that Yunhyeong was emotionally prepared to receive the news of Hanbin having to move on soon, if only time would permit. Jinhwan could only hope that Hanbin could stay for a little longer.

‘Hyung, don't you find Yunhyeongie’s reaction very strange? He didn't question us at all...and he wasn't even squeamish about it as Chanwoo described. And, why did you lie to him about you not being able to let him see Hanbin hyung?’ said June, breaking the comfortable silence between them.

‘Maybe he's just too desperate for an answer. Like, he's consulted so many so-called mediums. It's clear that he believes in things like this. June ah, I think you're reading too much into it. And, you know what it entails to let Yunhyeong see Hanbin,’ replied Jinhwan, dismissive of June's worries.

‘Hyung, but he seemed weird. He seemed very determined to do something. I don't know but his behaviour seems weird,’ muttered June under his breath.

To reassure June, Jinhwan took out his hand, which was originally in his back pocket, and held June's hand, which was dangling in mid-air. June was a tough guy, yet he never minded any of Jinhwan's touches, instead he found them comforting.

‘June ah, he’ll be fine,’ reiterated Jinhwan, smiling at June.