Chapter 4

Saudade

Chapter 4

Weeks had passed since Jinhwan and June had last seen Hanbin. For two weeks, Jinhwan had been researching non-stop on Hanbin's case, while June checked up on Hanbin, who was again clinging to Yunhyeong like a parasite, every now and then at work. Investigating Hanbin’s disappearance was harder than expected as he had to do the police’s job; all leads turned out to be dead ends, except for one that he had just discovered. As Jinhwan had expected, Hanbin was not as innocent and as loyal to Yunhyeong as he claimed to be, and, now, he had to uncover the truth that the loved ones of Hanbin would rather not know about. If justice were to be brought to Hanbin, his deeds would come to light, which would inadvertently tarnish his image to others. But, either way, Jinhwan had to do what he needed to.

After a short bus ride, Jinhwan arrived at the bus stop outside the building June and Yunhyeong worked in and went up to their office. 

‘Hello, I'm here to talk to Koo Junhoe, the junior business analyst,’ said Jinhwan to the receptionist, who was looking at him curiously.

‘Sure, please follow me this way. You and Mr Koo look very cute together,’ replied the receptionist, giving Jinhwan a knowing look.

The receptionist led the way to an open-plan office, where desks were evenly spaced, with Jinhwan trailing behind. Soon a babbling June and an attentive Yunhyeong, with an inquisitive Hanbin beside him, came to sight. After thanking the receptionist for her help, Jinhwan walked up to June.

‘June, I need to talk to Hanbin,’ whispered Jinhwan into June's ear, while tiptoeing.

Giving Hanbin a signaling wink to beckon him over, Jinhwan went through the corridor, entered an empty conference, and shut the door after Hanbin had passed through the doorway.

‘Hanbin, I'm going to cut to the chase because we're running out of time. How long have you been for Lee Hi, who I believe was one of your female clients?’ asked Jinhwan, while pulling down the blinds to make sure that there were no prying eyes. 

Shocked by Jinhwan's sudden interrogation, Hanbin was lost for words and had his mouth agape. Hanbin had always thought that he would carry this secret to his grave, yet he was wrong.

‘Hanbin ah, there's no need to lie or cover it up. Please tell me the truth so that we could help you,’ said Jinhwan, in the hope of making Hanbin come clean.

‘Hyung, please don't tell Yunhyeong about it. I'll do whatever you tell me,’ pleaded Hanbin.

‘So tell me about it, the whole thing,’ commanded Jinhwan.

Under such circumstances, Hanbin had no choice but to reveal his deepest and shadiest secret. Hanbin could swear by the happiness of his family that he only promised his boss to take the job of being an for money and that no feelings whatsoever were involved. Hanbin started off with explaining how he got into that field. After a few meetings with Lee Hi, Hanbin's boss, Mr Yang was convinced that Hanbin’s client was quite smitten by Hanbin's charismatic and boyish demeanor. As a money-minded businessman, Mr Yang was not going to let any business opportunities slip through his fingers. Knowing that Hanbin desperately needed money to support his family and himself, Mr Yang proposed a solution to Hanbin to alleviate his economic burden. At first, Hanbin was extremely against the deal Mr Yang made as betraying Yunhyeong for money was not something that should even cross his mind. After being rejected by Hanbin, Mr Yang tweaked bits of the deal and proposed to Hanbin that he only needed to go on dates that did not involve any ual interactions with his female client, making the offer sound less repelling. With stacks of cash and a promotion on the table, Hanbin was not able to decline Mr Yang's offer. Hanbin then accepted the deal and started going out with his female client. Things went well at first; with Hanbin freeing up his Saturday and Sunday afternoons to go on dates with Lee Hi and Yunhyeong having to work over weekends. However, as Yunhyeong’s project came to an end, Yunhyeong started questioning Hanbin's whereabouts as Hanbin always left early in the morning and returned late, reeking of perfume that could only be used by a woman. There had been arguments that always ended up with Yunhyeong breaking down in tears and Hanbin fleeing the scene to clear his mind. Under the influence of his peers, he got into clubbing and started frequenting there as the ear-blasting music at the club drowned out his worries and the drugs there allowed him to forget about everything that suffocated him. He continued going on dates with his female client and going clubbing at nights until one day Yunhyeong stormed into the club, dragging him out of it. That was the first time Hanbin saw Yunhyeong get mad. Yunhyeong was not only angry; he was also overwhelmed with disappointment. That moment was the moment where Hanbin finally came to his senses that what he had been doing was abhorrently wrong. Looking at Yunhyeong’s crying face made Hanbin more than determined that he had to quit his job and get out of escorting. Yunhyeong did not deserve this . After calming Yunhyeong down and taking him home, Hanbin went back to the club to find Mr Yang to tell him that he was going to quit, no matter what. Nevertheless, Mr Yang did not take it well and threatened Hanbin with the safety of his mother and little sister. Fearless as he was, Hanbin dismissed Mr Yang’s threats and tried to leave the room, yet he was put to a halt by Mr Yang’s bodyguard standing by the door. 

‘That's the last bit of memory I have…I can't remember anything after that,’ said Hanbin, after revealing his secret. 

‘I think I know where you might be. You know who Song Mino is, right? His body was found in the woods shortly after his disappearance and he used to work for Mr Yang as a bartender at his club,’ said Jinhwan, looking at his laptop.

‘Hyung, why are my hands fading?’ asked Hanbin in an urgent tone.

‘Oh ! We have to bring you to your body soon,’ exclaimed Jinhwan, while running out of the room to get June.

Squeezing through desks and shelves cluttering up the office, Jinhwan managed to go up June's desk.

‘Hanbin’s running out of time. We have to get Yunhyeong to move on as soon as possible,’ said Jinhwan softly, making sure that Yunhyeong and Chanwoo were out of earshot.

‘How long do we still have?’ asked June, looking up.

‘I reckon at most five days,’ replied Jinhwan.

‘Hanbin, you have to come with us now,’ said Jinhwan to Hanbin, who was behind him.

In response, Hanbin nodded and followed along with Jinhwan and June, who were heading back to their flat.

‘Hanbin, suit yourself. Now we have to brainstorm ideas on helping Yunhyeong move on before you dissipate,’ said Jinhwan as he stepped into the flat.

‘Jinhwan hyung, I don't really care if I disappear from this place forever or not since the worst has already happened to me. The only thing I care about is Yunhyeongie’s happiness. I want him to be happy, that's all. Um...Is there a way where you could let Yunhyeong see me? I know that it's possible cuz I heard you and June discuss that once,’ replied Hanbin.

‘Hanbin ah, you’re already in such a weak state. Even if we managed to get you through to Yunhyeong, you might dissipate immediately afterwards. It's a risk that we cannot take,’ explained Jinhwan, looking at Hanbin steadily.

‘Jinhwan hyung, please, I beg you,’ pleaded Hanbin, with his hand clasped together.

‘Jinhwan hyung, I think it's worth a try. I don't think Yunhyeong hyung could move on in such a short time. Letting him see Hanbin hyung might be the only way out. It's a risk that we have to take,’ said June, with a serious expression.

‘June ah, call Yunhyeong and tell him that we're coming over to his place,’ said Jinhwan, sounding defeated.

In order to save time, June hailed a taxi and the three of them got on it. After a short while, they arrived at a housing estate that was obviously one for high-income families due to the lavish design of the lobby of the apartment block Yunhyeong lived in.

‘Wow, Yunhyeong's rich,’ commented Jinhwan as he entered the apartment block, after Yunhyeong had granted the security guards permission to let them in over the intercom.

‘Yunhyeongie’s family is pretty well-off,’ replied Hanbin.

‘I can see that from his mannerism,’ said Jinhwan.

‘Before we go in, I have something to say to you two,’ said Hanbin, taking a deep breath before continuing, ‘Jinhwan hyung, thankyou so much for everything you have done. I don't know what you have been through, but I know that helping me brought up some painful memories to you. I know that coming to terms with that must have been very hard for you, so I'm eternally thankful to you. And, June, we might not have got along well at first, but having knowing you better made me grow to like you. I definitely owe you a lot and am very thankful to you. And, June ah, please be true to yourself. The one who youbhave always been in love with is not Yunhyeong. I saw through you the first day when I saw you with Jinhwan hyung. And, you, Jinhwan hyung, please own up to your feelings and stop acting selfless. I'm sick of seeing you guys play cat and mouse. Just get together before it's too late! Don't miss the chance to love like me and Yunhyeongie!’

‘Hanbin ah, let's focus on Yunhyeong now’ said Jinhwan, whose cheeks were flushed with embarrassment.

To keep himself occupied, June pressed the doorbell and played with his fingers while waiting for Yunhyeong to open the door.

‘Hello June, Jinhwan hyung! Come in,’ said Yunhyeong, full of anticipation, while beckoning them to enter his flat.

As expected, the flat was immaculate, with no specks of dust whatsoever. The floor was glimmering and the tables were clear. Everything was just so tidy and organised, just like Yunhyeong.

‘So now, Yunhyeong, hold my right hand, and Hanbin, hold my left hand,’ said Jinhwan.

Jinhwan stayed put for a short while and loosened his grip on both Yunhyeong and Hanbin’s hand as Yunhyeong grasped in shock after Hanbin came into sight. This was Jinhwan and June's cue to leave, giving the couple private space.

‘Yunhyeongie, can you see me now?’ asked Hanbin, whose eyes were b with tears.

In a blink of the eye, Yunhyeong threw himself into Hanbin’s embrace and s his arms around Hanbin’s waist. Whenever Yunhyeong was scared or felt insecure, Hanbin’s warm hugs were the remedy. In response, Hanbin Yunhyeong’s back, giving him comfort, as he could feel his chest get wet.

‘Hanbinnie, I'm so sorry...I shouldn't have said that that night and I shouldn't have let you go back to the club,’ cried Yunhyeong, while sniffling.

‘Yunhyeongie, look at me. I'm the one who should apologise to you. You've done nothing wrong. It was me who acted like a jerk to you. I'm so sorry and I love you so so much,’ said Hanbin, lifting up Yunhyeong’s chin so that Yunhyeong would look him in the eye.

Seeing tears roll down from those beautiful eyes made Hanbin’s heart shatter even more. Hanbin moved his hand to Yunhyeong’s cheek, wiping away his tears while caressing his cheek. 

‘Yunhyeongie, don't cry and don't mourn my death anymore...I just want to see you happy,’ said Hanbin, trying to hold back his tears.

‘Hanbinnie, I'm so sorry,’ murmured Yunhyeong, with hot prickling tears b his eyes.

Hanbin leant forward and pressed his lips against those of Yunhyeong to end Yunhyeong’s apologies. The kiss was tender and free of lust. It was one of eternal love, longing and passion. Hanbin then moved his lips to other parts of Yunhyeong’s face as tears started falling down from his eyes, kissing away the tears.

‘Yunhyeongie, please forget me and move on. Please treat yourself better,’ said Hanbin, pressing his lips on Yunhyeong's forehead afterwards.

‘Hanbinnie, please stay with me,’ begged Yunhyeong, strengthening his grip on Hanbin’s midriff.

‘Yunhyeongie, we’ll meet again one day and be together forever. But, now, you have to get on with your life,’ cooed Hanbin, Yunhyeong’s hair lovingly.

‘Hanbinnie, I'll come and join you,’ said Yunhyeong.

Yunhyeong left Hanbin’s embrace and grabbed a pill bottle from the dining table.

‘Yunhyeongie, stop! Don't do that!’ shouted Hanbin, while running towards Yunhyeong and then locking him in a tight embrace.

Hearing the loud commotion outside the room, Jinhwan and June rushed to the living room to find sleeping pills scattered across the floor. Triggered by Yunhyeong’s suicide attempt, Jinhwan went up to Yunhyeong.

‘Do you know how many people wish to live? And, now you're here giving up on life! All of the patients I have dealt with would give away everything they had just to live. Do you know how horrible it is for me, a doctor, to see people die on my watch? Please, Yunhyeong, you have literally everything one could ask for. You have a great job, great friends, and you live in a big luxurious flat. And, you're loved and will always be loved by Hanbin. You're someone I care about genuinely. Please don't be another one that I couldn't save! Please don't end up like Bobby,’ shouted Jinhwan vehemently.

Jinhwan's sudden outburst seemed to have knocked some sense into Yunhyeong as Yunhyeong let the pill bottle fall from his grip. The sudden realisation Yunhyeong came to seemed to have made an impact on Hanbin, who started to fade.

‘Hanbinnie, what's wrong?’ asked Yunhyeong urgently, tightening his grip on Hanbin.

‘Yunhyeong hyung has moved on. That's why you're fading, Hanbin hyung,’ said June, looking at Yunhyeong with pity.

‘Yunhyeongie, remember, I'll always be there for you and saranghae,’ said Hanbin, before he disappeared from Yunhyeong’s sight.

‘Yunhyeong ah, don't worry, he’ll move on just fine,’ said Jinhwan, patting Yunhyeong's back.

‘Gomawo, Jinhwan hyung, June,’ thanked Yunhyeong, who was sobbing softly.

‘Hanbin, it's time to get you there,’ said Jinhwan to Hanbin, who looked weaker than before.

After Chanwoo had arrived at Yunhyeong's flat, Jinhwan and June handed Yunhyeong over to him and took their leave.

‘Hanbin, we’re now going to the warehouse where we believe your body is,’ said Jinhwan before entering the taxi.

‘Jinhwan hyung and June, thankyou so much for everything! I don't think there's anything I could do to repay your kindness,’ said Hanbin with a genuine smile.

‘Hanbin, if you see Bobby down there, can you please tell him that we miss him very very much?’ asked Jinhwan, looking out the window.

‘Sure, but how can I know who Bobby is?’ asked Hanbin.

‘You'll know when you're there. This is the warehouse,’ answered Jinhwan.

After paying the taxi driver, the three of them got off the taxi and walked towards the warehouse.

‘Hanbin, where are you going?’ asked Jinhwan urgently as he saw Hanbin going into the warehouse as if on autopilot.

Confused with what Hanbin was doing, Jinhwan and June immediately followed along with Hanbin. As they entered the dimly illuminated warehouse, a silhouette of a man of Hanbin’s build came to sight.

‘Hanbin ah, I think that's you,’ said Jinhwan, walking closer to the motionless body.

As they went closer to the body, the outline of it became more prominent. It was not what Jinhwan had expected. Hanbin was alive as he could see his chest move up and down as he breathed.

‘What the !’ exclaimed Hanbin as he saw himself shackled to the wall.

As a doctor, Jinhwan could tell that the Hanbin, who was leaning against the wall, was dying and possibly had been held captive for years. Jinhwan had to get Hanbin’s spirit back into his body before it was too late.

‘Hanbin, hold my right hand. We're getting you back into your body,’ said Jinhwan urgently.

‘Jinhwan hyung, I don't want to. Look at him, his leg is ruptured and twisted. I'm just going to drag Yunhyeongie down with that. Yunhyeongie’s better off without me. I don't want to burden him even more,’ said Hanbin, as he distanced himself from Jinhwan.

‘Bull! Have you not seen how disheartened Yunhyeong hyung was just now? Do you think he'd care about how you look or whether or not you're handicapped if you made out alive? Please don't be selfish! If you love Yunhyeong hyung, hold onto Jinhwan hyung’s right hand,’ yelled June at Hanbin, who was clearly intimidated.

‘Will I remember anything from these days I spent with you guys after I've returned to my body?’ asked Hanbin, as he held onto Jinhwan's hand.

‘You'll know afterwards,’ said Jinhwan, right before Hanbin went back into his body.

‘June ah, call the police and ambulance. We have a life to save,’ said Jinhwan, while breaking off the shackles around Hanbin’s body.

After a short while, the police arrived and took care of Hanbin and the case. Jinhwan and June's job was done. It was their time to go home.