Ch. 2

A Day Away From Us

 

Lin Yanjun. He was truly like no other.

 

After continuously bumping into each other during their late night runs to the grocery market, the two became good friends. It turned out he had just graduated straight out of college and moved into the city not too long ago, while she, on the otherhand, was onto her last year of college.  Yanjun had an inflexible work schedule which made it hard for him to do anything until later in the day. Every day he would buy fresh groceries and learn to cook new dishes. His dedication to preparing a meal everyday in order to reassure his girlfriend that he was eating healthily showed his commitment. He had once said that they were trying out the long distance relationship, in which he had high hopes for it.

 

Yanjun and his grocery shopping accomplice decided to meet up more often, being she was his only friend in the city. Their meetups consisted of just sharing more of their interests, worklife, really bad jokes, and even the past. And no matter how splendid her life was before, in many ways, she had wished that she met him earlier in her life, for she could have been the one he was so in love with.

 

But to Yanjun’s dismay, the peace between him and his girlfriend didn't last long. He was worried. He kept looking at his cellphone, hoping to receive a text message from her. It had been a week since their first serious argument and he was broken. Shattered like a broken mirror, Lin Yanjun stopped cooking himself meals, as he felt like he lost the whole purpose in even eating healthily. He called off work, claiming he felt too unwell. If it wasn’t for the fact that the little pastry girl forced him out of his apartment and into the cafe just downstairs, he probably wouldn't have even gotten out of his place, let alone his room.

 

His friend sighed and suggested that he should go see his girlfriend as she took a sip of her coffee, watching him sit there lifelessly. That he should try to save what they had left, to try run after her again, just a little more.

 

He grinned, dimples sinking in while flashing the white pearls at her, and thanked her. The girl’s heart skipped a beat but she faintly smiled. If only he knew how she really felt.