Ch. 3

A Day Away From Us

 

Cai Xukun. The name of the devil. The name of his nightmares. He was the reason why Yanjun dragged his friend to the club the day he got back. He was the reason why Yanjun got horribly drunk. He was the reason why Yanjun was crying in his sleep while endlessly chanting her name in his friend’s apartment.

 

Xukun was the reason why she left Yanjun. She had cheated on him with Xukun.

 

Yanjun was devastated. He kept blaming himself, saying he wasn’t as good looking, he wasn’t as fit, or he wasn’t as young. After everything, the man made himself detestable, rather than the one who actually fell into temptation. It was then, where the helpless girl vowed to stay by Lin Yanjun’s side.

 

The game wasn’t a game where Yanjun was meant to win. His girlfriend was never his to start off with. Yanjun constantly got drunk for the few weeks after. He would constantly cry on the couch while his friend took care of his well being. It was a sickening sight, to see such an angel become tainted with the evils of the outside world, the evils of her.

 

One night, he called his ex. He built up every courage he had and pressed dial. If it wasn’t for the fact that his friend was cleaning up after him, she would have stopped him. Sadly, it was too late as she walked into the room he was staying in to see him sobbing hard.

 

He had hung up by the time she went over to the bed and sat by his side. He was curled up into a ball, head on his knees, unwilling to look up at her as she patted his back.

 

“It’s okay Yanjun it’s not your fault.” she cooed. “Don’t cry, please don’t cry.” The last sentence almost came off as a whisper as she looked at his helpless figure. She held back the urge to cry herself. It was hard seeing Yanjun be this way, so unlike his typical confident, happy, self.

 

After moments of silence, he finally spoke up. It was a faint reply but he said, “But it is my fault. I should have saw it coming, especially since it’s what she did for me.”

 

She stopped patting his back. “She cheated on someone else with you?”

 

He finally looked up at her. His face was stained with tears. His eyes were red from the constant crying. “Yeah,” he quietly replied, “she cheated on Zhangjing with me.”

 

She was shocked. Zhangjing, Yanjun’s best friend, was the man she cheated on with Yanjun. She couldn't believe that Lin Yanjun, this perfect man, was a homewrecker himself.

 

“I know, I'm pathetic right?” Yanjun laughed hopelessly as he looked away from me. “I knew how much he loved her, yet the moment she kissed me in the club, I was determined to make her mine. Even if it meant betraying my best friend.”

 

“Holy snap she's a crazy man.” The girl laughed a bit, hoping it would cheer him up. He gave her slight smile, as a way of showing his appreciation.

 

“I'm glad that Zhangjing had chosen friendship over his relationship back then. If he hadn't, I would be all alone with no best friend or a girlfriend.”

 

And that was enough for the tiny girl to get up from the bed. She was slightly taken back from his words. “Had I not been with him through all these weeks?” she thought. “Oh,” she coldly replied, “I'm glad Zhangjing did what he did.”

 

Yanjun seemed to have noticed the change in atmosphere as he looked at her with concern. His face showed a bit of distress, as he must have realized what he said wrong. “Sorry,” he softly apologized, “this whole time I was so focused on myself, that I forgot to look out for the people around me...especially you.”

 

“It’s fine,” she harshly whispered, “but I’ll get going. I’m a bit tired.” And with that she closed the door and walked out.