Final

A Day Away From Us

 

As if Yanjun knew that the best way to save what was left was to fix himself up, he rang the doorbell the few days later.

 

“Is there something I can help you with?” she opened the door for him and let him in. Her harsh tone was able to indicate that she wasn’t in the best mood after what happened.

 

“Yeah, there is actually” he rubbed the back of his neck as he walked into her apartment, “I want to start fresh, and you’re the only one who can help me.”

 

She was a bit shocked to see the sudden change in Yanjun. His eyes showed signs of determination and passion, unlike the depressing emotions he had shown for the past weeks. “And how can I help you?” she questioned.

 

He coughed a bit, hesitant to say his answer. It was then when she had realized how soft he could be. Lin Yanjun, who was always confident, was suddenly shy and embarrassed. “I would like to sincerely ask you,” he paused a bit, unsure of whether or not to say it, “to first, forgive me for what happened that night. I know what I said was out of line and I’m very sorry for what happened.” He looked straight into her eyes, as if he was hoping for her to say it was fine.

 

And the person that she was, easily gave in. She smiled, happy to see the change in attitude.

 

“Secondly,” he continued, looking down on the ground, unable to look into her eyes, “I would like to ask you to go on a date.”

 

And that was when she kind of lost it.

 

She was a bit confused, maybe even angry. “Was I just rebound to him?” she had thought.  In the same irritated voice she had given him that night, she asked him, “Am I just your back up plan?”

 

His eyes quickly widen as he came to realize the flaw in his words. Yanjun quickly denied the assumption, “No, no, no! I’m not asking you out because you’re rebound. I’m asking you because I realized how much I have come to like you.” He started to rub the back of his neck again, a habit she realized he showed when he was nervous. “After that night, I thought about how much you have done for me and I’m sorry that I didn’t appreciate you before. I was so selfish, so blind, to have seen that the person who I needed the most was you.”

 

Her cheeks must have turned red enough for him to chuckle. Yanjun pulled her in, holding onto her a lot longer than any of the previous hugs he had given. “Please, give me a chance to be with you,” he whispered into her ears.

 

She smiled and wrapped her hands around him to hug him back. “I never would have thought this day would finally come.”

 

She would have never guessed that Lin Yanjun finally fall in love for her, the girl who offered him a pastry late at night while he was on his way to buy groceries. That two years later, the grocery couple would decide to get married after Yanjun eloquently said, “There’s only one thing I would change about you, and it’s your last name." That the smooth man he was, vowed to keep her happy for eternity and kissed her as he slid a ring on her finger.