Chapter VIII: The Rehearsal

That Cold Starlight

“So, what’s up? Care to tell me why you are here?” he scoots beside me.

“JiEun is with me, aren’t you such an ungrateful friend?” teasing him, only Jieun’s name can shut him out.

“Really? How nice! I am so glad that you are here! 너무 너무 좋아! (I really really like it!)” and only Jieun’s name can make him crazy like this.

“Ehem! So, for our first act. The lead actor and actress can be seen in a park. Yonghwa is sitting at a bench while reading a book and suddenly an innocent girl passed by and saw the young man. So the thing here is, the first song would be… First time lover. You guys knew that of course…” She cut the statement of the choreographer and we looked at her with confusion written on our faces.

“Yes?” the choreographer, Mr. Shin asked.

“What song? I never heard that before. I guess?” Wow. So, she really didn’t even bother to listen to any of my songs.

“That’s weird. That was Yonghwa’s debut single. How come you didn’t know?”

Our eyes met but she immediately broke our eye contact. Is there something going on?

“A-ah… I see, I think. I have to listen to it sometimes.” She smiled, one of the purest smiles I’ve seen. Hyojong nudges my elbow getting my attention.

“Inlove again?” I nudge him back while gritting my teeth.

죽고싶어? (Do you want to die?)” He laughed and responded, “아니야. 장난있지, 임마! (No. Just kidding, you punk!)” I threw a glare at him and made him shut up.

“Okay! Let’s rehearse the first act! Yonghwa and Shinhye. Shinhye, here is the lyrics. Ask Yonghwa to teach you the notes and such. Let us keep the practice going.” He gave us a hard copy of my song. I don’t know why am I so nervous and I think she is uncomfortable and quiet which is very strange.

“Uhm… so, let me label the parts that you would sing.” I broke the ice and tries to initiate a casual conversation.

“Mhm.”

So, I did highlight her parts and she remain quiet which bothers me because this is not the Shinhye we knew. Though, I loved her and still loves her this is very unusual. Second attempt for a conversation.

“Uh, since you haven’t heard the song do you want to hear it? I’ll search it—”

“No. Sing it for me. What’s your use if you’ll just make me hear the things on the Internet.” Now, that’s more like her.

“Sure. I just thought you really hated me as a singer.” I got no response. Did I say something wrong?

“Anyway, are your bruises okay? Do you feel okay now?”

She glared at me as if she is ready to eat me alive. “What? I’m just… concerned.”

“Whatever! You’re so irritating! Why can’t you just sing this ty song to me?” She rolled her eyes.

She’s acting weird and I decided to sing the whole song for her.

“The day when I first saw you
Your bright smile full of shyness
we’ll get closer after today
every day, I have heart-fluttering expectations
what to say to you
how to get you to laugh
I fear it’ll get awkward when I try to hold your hand
all I can do is smile shyly.”

Did you know that this song is for you? I thought you’re already out of my mind for all these years. It turns out I am still into you and will always be. I can’t believe I am singing this for you, without you knowing that you are the reason why I wrote this song.

Hopefully we can speak banmal to each other
even though it’s still awkward and unfamiliar
instead of saying ‘thank you’
talk to me in a friendlier way

Hopefully we can speak banmal to each other
you walk towards me slowly, step by step
now look at my two eyes and tell me
I love you

The day when I held your hand
I felt my heart stop beating
I don’t even remember what I said
All I feel is a flutter in my stomach

Hopefully we can speak banmal to each other
even though it’s still awkward and unfamiliar
instead of saying ‘thank you’
talk to me in a friendlier way

Hopefully we can speak banmal to each other
you walk towards me slowly, step by step
now look at my two eyes and tell me
I love you

Hopefully we can fall in love with each other
I’ll never let go of your two hands from my grasp
the light of your eyes, gazing at me
I hope there will only be joyful smiles

Hopefully we can fall in love with each other
We can lean on one another and take care of each other
Looking into your eyes, my two eyes
they’re talking to you
I love you.”

I caught her looking at me intently while singing but quickly looked away. I stared at her while singing the last line and the word I am dying to say to her since day one.

“Not bad.” She commented and asked what our first act should be.

“So, the story of this musical is like… the lead actors which is us were in love since they were kids and reunited when they saw each other again in Korea. The girl never told the guy that she loves her until he left for America. When he came back, she was determined to confess her feelings but when she was about to confess, she didn’t know that he is already engaged to another girl. He needs closure to his first love. She held on to her confession because of the revelation. In the end, her story about how she loved him were never told. Until her last breath, her dying wish is to tell him that she loved him and will continue to love him until eternity. Does this musical have any sense?” She commented,

“Yes, it’s called true love and the one that got way.” I answered plainly.

“You’ve been in love, right? You should know this then.” I bitterly said. “Because if you truly love someone seeing them happy even without you in the picture is a sacrifice and it satisfy your soul because you made them happy even though you’re not part of it.” I smiled sadly, like what I did to you. I made you happy without being a part of it.

“Whatever!” She stomped her feet and glides towards the rest room. I sighed deeply.

--

I went inside the female’s rest room and locked the door.

“Seeing them happy even though you’re not part of it? Is that what he did to me?” I hold on my chest and it is beating wildly since we started talking during the rehearsal and went crazier when he sang.

정용화, 너 대채 뭐야? 나는 미친것같은데. 절대 안돼 정신 차려 신헤야! (Jung Yonghwa, what the hell are you? I might be crazy. It can’t be. Come to your senses, Shinhye-ya!That er is driving me nuts! Must maintain your composure, Shinhye.

I walked my way towards the rehearsal area and saw him talking to someone. She seems familiar but, where have I seen her?

“It is nice to meet you again, Seohyun! You’re pretty as ever and welcome back to the drama world.” He is smiling widely and open his arms for a hug.

“You’re still the same, Yong-ah. I’m so glad to be back and to think I’ll be one of the leads.” The Seohyun girl said. She looks like a pale lady. Why can’t she just go and pair herself to the pale guy.

“Excuse me. I hate to ruin your mini reunion. But I believe we still need to rehearse for the first act.” My bratty side took over.

“I forgot, Seo. She is one of the lead as well. Park Shinhye, I am sure you’re quite familiar with her.” He said, I really don’t give a damn.

“Oh… I’m sorry. I think I never heard her before but, nice to meet you. Catch you later, Yong. Bring Hyo with you!” She said and walked away.

“You ready for practice?” He said while smiling widely. He seems happy after meeting that pale girl. I rolled my eyes and raised a brow.

“Of course, I am Shinhye.” I brag.

“Okay.” He said simply while taking a quick glimpse of the pale girl who is talking to his annoying pale guy friend.

This is making me nuts! Am I in a hidden camera or something? Why is everyone pissing me off?

--

 

Hmmm... I smell something fishy in here. Can you guys smell it? Hahahaha! Enjoy the update. I'm so sorry it took so long!