Chapter I: Why can't it be me?

That Cold Starlight

“Hey! Throw that away.”

“H-huh?”

“I said, take that off and throw it away! How dare you wear the same stilettos as mine? Do you think it suits a poor girl like you? Throw it away while I’m still nice.”

“S-sorry…” The poor young lady took off her shoes and threw it in the trash can.

“Much better,” she smirked but before she could take a step, I called her out.

“Shinhye! I believe this is yours. Should I throw this out? We exactly have the same design.” Yes, we have the same design of handkerchief. Maybe, I should give her a taste of her own medicine. I smirked secretly.

“Y-you! Then, throw it! I don’t care!” She yelled. I did what she told me and threw it in the trash bin. I whistled teasingly and puts my hand inside my pocket. I smilled innocently at her.

“Shinhye, you are not the center of the universe. Don’t try to act like one because it doesn’t suit you.” I stuck my tongue out teasingly as I head on my way inside the university.

“I really hate that pale gay! AIsh! Jajjungna! 짜증나! (So annoying!)” She blurted out and stomps her feet in annoyance.

“Kim Hyojong! Is the rumor true? You threw Shinhye’s handkerchief?” I nodded while happily munching my hotdog sandwich.

“Hmm! She said she doesn’t like having the same item with people. I saw her asking a woman to throw her shoes just because they were wearing the same thing.” I my thumb that has lots of ketchup. Yummy!

“That’s why you came in without your shoes on? Shinhye can be really really rude sometimes.” I stuck my lip out teasingly wanting her to wipe the ketchup around my lips. She rolls her eyes and dabs a tissue on my lips. "You have your hands, wipe it." She grinned.

“Nah, she’s always rude.” I answered while wiping my lips with the tissue she gave me.

 Pshh… you should praise me JiEun-ah, I did a very good job today. I deserve my crush’s appreciation.

“Ohhh… I bet she’s a pretty girl. You won’t give up your shoes if she’s not pretty. Kim Hyojong number one rule flirting one-o-one.” She chuckled,

“Yes, she was pret—I mean, no, even if she’s not pretty I would still help her.”

Damn it! Could you just praise me, JiEun? I hate you big time!

“Anyway, where is Yong? Haven’t seen his shadow since this morning.”

Okay, I give up. She wouldn’t praise me. She’s looking for Yong again. Lucky bastard!

“I don’t know. Battle of the bands is taking place this week he must be practicing.”

“Ohh! You’re right! Anyway, here you go. Use this for a while I’ll just buy later. Bye!” She tossed a pair of… my mother father gentleman! A ladies’ sandals, “Y-ya!” Before I could even complain she’s already outside the dance room.

“Oh well, at least. I'’ll be using her sandals. Yeehii! JiEun’s sandals ~” People may find it weird but, I am so so so happy to use it! My JiEunni's sandals!! Woot woot!

--

This is weird, I haven’t seen Yong since this morning. We always wait for each other at the veranda near the dancing room but he’s nowhere to be found. Did something happen?

I heard a sound coming from the music lab, maybe it’s him. I opened the door wide enough to see who’s inside. I heard a familiar voice singing.

Jung Yonghwa is singing Love light.

My heart felt like it was torn into pieces. Hearing his sad voice makes me weak. I hate seeing him like this.

[>] Love Light – CN Blue

*Author’s Note: This is the English Lyrics of Love Light. Just imagine Yong, singing this in Korean, ara?*

When I look at you my face gets red

When I see you my heart goes thump thump

I talk with shyness like a kid

When I look at you i just smile out of nowhere

Like a fool I keep doing that

I think love came to me,”

This song, this was supposed to be a happy song. But, why do it sound so sad right now? What happened Yong? He’s in so much pain, he can barely strum his guitar and his voice sounded almost like a whimper.

“… you’re the president of my heart

You’re my chests’ star embroider

I’m Genie for you girl

You make me stop breathing

Whatever you want

Because i love you

There’s no reason for my love you know,”

Seolma (설마. No way.) Could it be…

“… you’re a darling
You’re more beautiful than the stars above in the night sky
The shining thing deep inside my heart
My own love light

I love you darling
Give me light next to me whenever
Every night i look at you
And you’re beautiful even when i look at you
You’re my love light…”

I didn’t notice that I’m already standing in front of him. He looked like he was going to breakdown any moment. I looked at him in the eye, I don’t know what to say. I can’t find the right words to comfort him right now.

“Yong-ah, gwaenchana? (용아, 괜찮아? Are you okay, Yong-ah?)” He didn’t answer instead he puts down his guitar and hugged me tightly.

“JiEun-ah…” he said, almost like a whimper. “I did it and I was rejected,” he sobbed, the last time I saw him like this was when his mom left them for another man.

“You really do like her a lot, don’t you?” I asked, almost a whisper. I bit my lip to prevent the tears that is about to fall.

I caressed his back and let him cry his heart out.

Jung Yonghwa… why can’t it be me?