Chance Encounters

Let Fate Decide
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  After his encounter with Jongdae, Minseok never saw him again that day. He didn't mind because he was actually the last person he wanted to see. If only it was Lay who had his phone, then maybe he could at least get closed to him. For now, Minseok was stuck daydreaming about what could've been.

  The next day as Minseok was walking across campus to his next class, he spotted someone familiar. His jaw dropped. This was the route he always took, but this was the first time he actually noticed Jongdae walking the opposite direction. He wasn't sure if he had always passed him and never realized it because he was an unfamiliar face, or if Jongdae was taking a different path from usual.

  Minseok didn't want to be caught by him especially after learning that he watches those videos. Sure, it was normal especially for guys, but the way he discovered it made things way too awkward. As Jongdae approached him, he ducked his head and kept walking.

  Jongdae paid no attention since he had earphones in and was on his phone to change the song. The only time he looked up was to make sure he didn't bump into anyone. Faces wouldn't be easily processed when he's like this.

  When Minseok was far from him, he heaved a sigh and turned his head. Jongdae continued walking without a care in the world. Minseok placed a hand to his chest as his heart was beating quickly. Did he really get that nervous while he passed by? Was he really that embarrassed?

  "Ah, why do I always see Jongdae, but not Lay. It's so unfair," he complained. Just when he thought he could have beautiful start of a relationship - either friendship or romantic - it had to be ruined by him being fated to see Jongdae instead of Lay.

  After his last class, Minseok made his way to Matcha Made in Heaven. As a student, he worked only Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays which isn't too bad considering he did have some down time to study when there are a few customers. The worst days were when it was exam week and students from all over campus were there to get a cup of coffee or tea while they studied. This Monday is particular, Minseok believed would be calmer than usual since (1) its a Monday and (2) it wasn't exam week.

  Luckily, the café was walking distance, so he was in no rush to get there. He was allowed to just stroll while passing some familiar and unfamilar faces. Today in particular, he bumped into many familiar faces.

  It was the golden fur that he spotted first, then the tall guy that was walking her. A smile crept up his face. Lay's back was turned towards him, so Minseok didn't know how to get his attention. If he yelled, his voice would be carried by the wind, and he would have to run up to Lay just to catch up him. Minseok was defeated. There was no chance in getting close to Lay unless he happened to bump into him every time while he walked his dog. That would require Minseok to go out all the time and ge was not fond of that.

  Minseok decided to let him go and admire the view from behind. Even with a full shirt on, he could clearly see the muscles on Lay's back. "He's definitely my type," he muttered.

  As he approached the café, he prepared himself to see Lay walk past the doors, but to his surprise both Michi and him stood by the entrance. Was this Minseok's chance to talk to him? His pace quickened, but he tried not to make it to obvious and before Lay took another step, Minseok was close enough to say, "Hey. What are you doing here?"

  Michi's tail wagged like crazy and she tugged onto her leash.

  Lay kept a tight grip. "Michi, sit."

  She sat and calmed down.

  "I always walk Michi around this time," Lay explained as he lifted the leash. "We always take this route, in fact, and I always consider ordering here but I never got the chance. Jongdae told me you worked here."

  "Yeah. He had to get his phone because we somehow swapped them." Minseok rubbed the back of his neck and forced a laugh. Never did he imagine himself talking to Lay like this. After all, he's worked here for a year and he's never seen him pass by until now, or it could possibly be because he didn't take notice until he met him face-to-face. "Uhm. I'll have to get ready. If you want, I can bring you something."

  "I'll go ahead and order. Hopefully, by the time you're done changing, you'll be the one to bring out my coffee?" Lay pulled up a chair and tied Michi to a nearby pole.

  Minseok's heart skipped a beat. He would not miss this chance to get close to Lay. "Sure. I can do that for you." Without another wait, he headed inside. His feet were light and he was beaming. Lucky for him his back was turned towards Lay or else he would be freaked out by his strange smile.

  Minseok changed quicker than usual. Normally, when he arrived at the cafe, he would carefully make sure all his shirt was buttoned and neatly tucked underneath his pants. His hair would be kept away from his face and his apron would be tied in a neat bow. However, today he threw on his clothes and made sure he looked presentable before heading to his station. Today seemed to be his lucky day because Lay was still in line when he got out, so he would know exactly what he would order. He watched his coworkers carefully and every time Minseok had to make a new coffee, he tried to time it well so that he could make Lay's. As he placed his second cup down on the table, he spotted Lay ordering and rushed back to the counter.

  "A strawberry mocha, please," Minseok overheard Lay say.

  Quickly, Minseok got the cup and saucer he would be making the mocha in and completed Lay's order before anyone else could. He even tried to make a pretty design - something he usually rushes when there's a lot of customers, but Lay was an exception.

  Lay was already sitting outside when Minseok finished and was petting Michi. Minseok couldn't help but pause for a moment. Lay was definitely his type, but a part of him didn't want to pursue him. Despite those kind smiles, bright eyes, charming laughter, and handsome looks, Lay would probably not be interested in him. He's too perfect and would be anyone's ideal type. "Whoever becomes his girlfriend will be so lucky," Minseok whispered to himself as he made his way out the door.

  Upon seeing Minseok,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter