The Failed Blind Date

Let Fate Decide
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  College life wasn't easy for Kim Minseok considering all the classes he needed to take in order to graduate on time and working part-time at a local coffee shop. However, the worst part of his life was the fact that his two closest friends were dating while he was stuck being single. Don't get him wrong, there were perks of being single, but whenever both of his friends were out on a date on the same day for some odd reason, he was stuck at home eating ice cream while binge-watching his favorite TV shows.

  Kim Minseok always dreamed of being part of a relationship. Sometimes he would forget about his want for all that special someone and live his life to the fullest until he's reminded of his loneliness after seeing his friends being all love-struck between their girlfriends. It especially hits him when he watches chick-flicks. The thing that most people don't know about Kim Minseok was he's gay. Even he didn't discover this until he had his first kiss from a girl during his sophmore year at the homecoming dance. It just felt wrong, and it didn't help that when he saw the heart throb of the school, he also acted like one of the fangirls. Internally.

  Many of his friends don't know this and certainly not his family. He just never got the guts to tell, so every time his friends would ask him what his type was so they could find him a date, Minseok kept it vague and hoped that one day they would just give up. That was not the case, however.

  As Minseok was working at the cafe, his friends and their girlfriends were there chatting away at their usual table in the corner. When their drinks were ready, Minseok had the horrible duty of bringing the four drinks to their table. They almost didn't notice him until he started placing the mugs one-by-one.

  "Minnie!" His friend Suho exlaimed. It was a nickname Minseok hated, but got used to considering how many times his friends would call him that. 

  "What?" He placed the last mug in front of Suho's girlfriend. Minseok was clearly jealous. The girls were pretty. His friends were handsome. But neither of them were attracted to him. He remembered when he first saw Suho, he thought he would have a chance with him until he stalked his social media and found out he had a girlfriend of three years at the time. Now, Minseok wouldn't be surprised if they got married once they graduated.

  "We know you keep telling us not to meddle with your romantic life," Suho started. "But..." He turned to their other friend Chanyeol.

  "We arranged a blind date for you," Chanyeol completed with a huge grin on his face.

  "What?" If Minseok had the mugs in his hands, he would've surely dropped them. Instead, his jaw dropped. "What do you mean you arranged a blind date? You know how much I hate blind dates. Last time I went, she turned out to be a complete weirdo." It was not a fun time. The girl turned out to be a porcelain doll collector. Minseok shivered at the thought of those glass eyes staring at him. Plus, he wasn't interested in girls anyways.

  "Well, first of all," Suho started, "You made the mistake of using a dating app."

  "And who's idea was that?"

  Chanyeol sipped his cappuccino.

  "Alright. Fine. Yeah. We know you hate going on dates with people you don't know, but we promise you this girl will be great. Sera and Boyeong know who she is and they say they think you'll be a perfect match." Suho wrapped his arm around Sera.

  Minseok still didn't want to agree with this. "I don't know. I just don't have the time."

  "Sure you do. You just gotta make time. Plus, we already set the date. You'll be going this Saturday and you'll be going out to eat. Maybe have a little bit to drink and-"

  "Stop there." Minseok didn't want to hear the rest because it would just make the whole situation uncomfortable. As much as he wanted to avoid this, he couldn't. He knew his friends wouldn't stop bothering him if he didn't go with their plan, so even if he did say no, they would barge into his apartment and force him to dress up and meet with the girl. He didn't want to deal with that kind of stress. Letting out a sigh, Minseok decided to give in. "Fine. I'll go, but only because I know you won't stop bothering me if I don't."

  "I promise you, you will like her."

  He rolled his eyes. "Whatever. I have to go back. I'm still working anyways and I don't want to get scolded by my manager." Minseok made his way to the counter where a short line started to form. As he took orders, he couldn't help but admire the view. There were plenty of handsome college men, but he wasn't sure who would be interested in him. The guys who were open with their uality just didn't seem his type or they already have a boyfriend of their own. Minseok dreamed about going on coffee dates with someone special and even dreamed about going to movies, giving each other gifts, and singing songs to each other. Deep down, he knew it was too much to ask, but it didn't hurt to wish for those things. He sighed and muttered to himself, "Why is life so unfair."

  Saturday came in an instant to Minseok, mainly because he couldn't stop thinking about how to avoid this situation, but no matter what scenario he came up with, it always ended up him going. He was to meet the girl, Jiyeon, for dinner which meant he had a long time to figure out how to escape early. However, he didn't have time to think much since Chanyeol and Suho arrived at his apartment, unannounced.

  "What do you guys want?" Minseok grumbled as he opened his door.

  "We're here to make sure you pick out the right outfit," Suho stated while barging in.

  Chanyeol followed suit. "We heard that Jiyeon likes a classy guy, so you will definitely need to dress nicely. We don't want you to just wear a hoodie and jeans."

  That wasn't a problem for Minseok. He wasn't a big fan at wearing a graphic tee and shorts when going out, but when he's at home, that's another story. However, a hoodie was tempting. The temperature was getting colder as autumn was approaching. 

  His two friends walked into his room and searched through his closet. There were a variety of clothes, each of which could be potential outfit choices. Everything that they chose, Minseok had to try with a groan. After about 8 different outfits, Minseok ended up wearing black pants and a striped red and white shirt. It wasn't the outfit he was going for, but he had approval from his friends.

  "If anything happens, I'm going to crash at your place since the restaurant is near there," Minseok stated as he tried figuring out how he wanted his hair to look. He decided to pull his bangs back.

  "You sure you two won't end up here or at her place at the end of the night?" Chanyeol teased while wiggling his eyebrows. 

  Minseok smacked him on the back of his head. "There's no chance."

  "You never know."

  Minseok knew. After all, he was gay, and he was only doing this because his friends insisted. The

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter