The „Date“

22 Years

Standing in front of the mirror in my bathroom, I checked myself the last time. I had put my hair partly up in Ariana Grande style while soft make up hid all imperfect spots in my face. It was barely noticeable that I wore make up but to me it was more then enough already. A nice skirt in vintage style reached the middle of my thighs while my lightly loose top was tugged inside the skirt. Ballerina‘s finished the look. 

„For it to be just a meeting up, you are really dressed up“, Lina said as she let her eyes run over each centimeter of myself. „Too much?“,  biting my lower lip, I looked down at myself. I really loved this outfit- especially the floral skirt. „A bit. But it still looks good on you girl. You should get going though or you‘ll be late“, I nodded at Lina‘s words and got my bag with everything I needed inside. Lina stayed at my place to be the first to hear about the meeting and also to clean up for me. Walking out the door, I took in a deep breath. Why was I so nervous out of a sudden? My legs carried me towards the bus station. While I waited, I checked my phone nearly each minute in believe to find a hint that this was not really happening. He was only 22 years old! God damn. How could I do this? My heart was pounding hard against my chest and bones, that it was the only thing I could hear in the moment. Even during the bus ride, it didn‘t get better no, it got even worse. Maybe because I did not know what Jungkook did plan? All I knew was that we‘d meet up in the center of the city by the huge book store which was close to the train station. Looking out the window, my eyes caught a clips of a scene which seemed kind of out of place, burning directly into my mind. 

 

There was a female, trembling as she tried to stay on her feet. Her neck seemed red, probably covered by blood. Her head fell around loosely before she collapsed.

 

Judgement day and the end of the world is in our minds and our minds are a dangerous place to be

 

My eyes widened as this sentence came up in my mind. It was a sentence my mother said once and also the boss of the other company we had that meeting with some time ago. Had they already started with their plans of inserting chip cards? I hoped not. The thought was way too terrible to me. „Miss? End station. You need to get out“, pulled back to reality, I snapped out of my thought and the scene and got up real quick to exit the bus. I need air, oxygen, I needed to breath through. After I took a few moments off to myself, I decided that I should get going to the meeting place. Distraction would definitely be what I needed right now. So there I stood in front of the huge book store with Jungkook no where in sight. Checking the time, I actually was 5 minutes late and I started to wonder if it maybe was just a prank of his. 

 

/Unknown: Terrible sight wasn‘t it?/

/Me: Leave it! We had a deal remember?/

/Unknown: Yes and here is your hint: We know each other. Anyways, what do you think about that woman?/

 

Groaning in annoyance, I pushed my phone into my little bag. The hint was not really helpful - not one bit. I checked my surroundings if I maybe would spot anyone watching me, but there was no one paying attention to me. I was just some girl waiting here after all and I was not the only one. A tap on my shoulder made me jump, hissing under my breath and turned around, ready to fight. „Woah! Slow! It is just me“, it was Jungkook, looking a bit surprised and shocked to my reaction. My chest was heaving and falling in a fast pace, my heart beating fast. „Damn Jungkook! Don‘t scare me like that“, I warned him and squinted my eyes, causing the younger to laugh with his heart. „Sorry for being late. My train had delay“, he said and held out his arm for me. I looked at his arm and blinked a few times before just walking pass him. „Point one, don‘t make the girl wait for you. Or at least let her know“, while pointing it out, I had raised my pointy finger in a warning manner. Jungkook chuckled before he catched up with me, snaking his arm under mine; hooking our arms up. „Don‘t turn down the offer of a gentleman“, rolling my eyes at his words I let him lead the way before my eyes fell onto him. He was way taller then I was, his side view breathtaking. Just then I noticed his ear piercings. My heart made a small jump and I shook my head immediately. „What are your plans?“, I wondered for some time what he might be up to, but due to him being so hard to analyze, I couldn‘t really come up with something. I mean- what would a 22 year old guy do? „Just relax. You will see soon enough“, he said and kept on walking. After about 10 minutes of mute walking, he slowed down and finally came to a stop. We were at the high sky park. I have never been at that place before. It was a park, above the city, up at the hill. It was a huge one. Even a little train drove through it for children and adults to sit in. A playground was there as well along with a lot of fountains. The view was just breathtakingly beautiful. The trees wore blossoms, the meadow painted with various colors of flowers, sweetening the oxygen we both breathed. „Wow..“, I mumbled in awe and took a few steps forward, unhooking our arms. A bright smile creeped its way up my lips and I my heels. „This is so beautiful Jungkook“, I exclaimed in pure happiness. Jungkook was smiling as he watched my happy figure. I couldn‘t tell what he was thinking but he seemed amused by my reaction I was showing him. It barely happened that I showed such an vulnerable state of mine but in that moment, I just couldn‘t help myself one bit. 

 

The male started to trod behind me, his hands in his pockets. „Wanna take a ride with the train? You‘ll get to see everything and then we can choose where to go first“, his suggestion was quickly approved by me and I waited for him to catch up to lead the way. Hooking our arms again, we went towards the small train station. „You look pretty. Do you know that?“, Jungkook said and I could feel the blood rushing into my face and yet I still looked up at him with a warm smile. „Thank you. You too look handsome. The girls are staring even“, my sentence caused Jungkook to laugh softly, „Does it make you jealous or why are you telling me this?“. Seriously, I didn‘t even know why I said that. Did it make me jealous? Did it bother me? Well, maybe a tiny bit. But, I left his question open and he accepted it silently. 

 

As the small train arrived, I observed the cute size of it. It surely was not all too huge and still big enough for adults. Sitting in one of the wagons in the middle, in which Jungkook helped me in all gentleman like, we both went silent as we listened to an old couple talk. „Look. They are just like us when we were young“, the woman said and I could even hear her smile as she said those words. Looking up to Jungkook I could see him biting his lower lip, his cheeks red. Without really thinking about it, I reached up to softly poke the corner of his lips. „Don‘t do that“, my voice was softer then I expected, vulnerable- breakable. Jungkook on the other hand looked surprised and he released his lower lip from his bite. Staring into each others eyes, the world seemed to slow down and everything was blended out. This moment had something magical. My eyes fell onto my wrist as I felt his fingertips brush against my skin, seeing him taking a hold of it. „I am.. I am sorry I did-„, I couldn‘t find the right words to say as my heart started to race. „Don‘t worry about it“, he mumbled softly so only I could hear it. The train carried on and I turned my head to look away and to focus on something else then him while he still held my wrist. His hand felt so soft against my skin, his long fingers wrapping up around my wrist without any struggle. My skin seemed to burn up under his touch. Our hands were placed between us and I wondered if he‘d try to push it further as in taking my hand in his. No, I wanted him to in some way but, nothing happened. Jungkook kept his hand on my wrist, only a few along my upper hand followed. 

 

The ride took longer then I expected but I got to see the whole park in it‘s beautiful view. The whole time Jungkook had held my wrist in his and none of us didn‘t even try to remove our hands. But everything had to come to an end right? So when the train came to a stop, we had to get out and so, our hands parted even if it was against our will. „So where do you want to go first?“, he questioned and I tapped my chin before I spoke, „What about the small fun fair? I am thursty and I am sure they have something to drink there“, Jungkook smiled and held out his hand to me. Glancing at it, I felt really nervous and wondered if I should really accept the offer. He waited for me while I was thinking, not once letting his hand down which was pretty sweet. Lastly, I reached out for his hand, wrapping my small fingers around his as he held tightly and yet in a protective and soft way my own. „How am I doing so far? Any ideas why she doesn‘t see me as a potential lover yet?“, I gulped at his question, roaming through my head to find an answer. „I .. I don‘t know. Maybe you are not manly enough for her?“, „And what would make me manly?“, he was quick with his questions while I was way too slow with my answers. „Would it be compliments? Being y? Being mischievous? Stealing kisses and such..“, he added making me stop in my tracks. „Maybe she just is stupid that she doesn‘t see you as a man. Stealing kisses? I don‘t know if it would make you manly. But taking the first steps, leading it all on, would probably make her see you as more“, I mumbled and furrowed my eyebrows. „Jungkook you know, I‘ve only dated one guy before and this is already a few years back. I might not be the best person to ask such questions in hope to find the reason. Plus, everyone has an individual meaning for being manly. Maybe you should try figuring out what she might see in someone being manly“, I added being actually very satisfied with my answer I came up with which was not even really wrong. It seemed to have got Jungkook thinking and soon nodded in approval. „You are right. But I am already trying to figure it out you know? I don‘t seem to get any further with her.. at least not much“, he said before we walked further towards the fun fair. It was a small one, but it had a few eating stands and rides for children. Even a water fountain to play in was there. Getting us both a drink and ice cream, we sat down by the fountain. Taking off my shoes, I let my feet into the cold water to refresh myself. It had gotten really hot in the meanwhile; the sun burning on my skin and the air had gotten thinner as well. Most probably a storm would approach soon. 

 

on my ice cream, I couldn‘t hold back the hum falling off my lips from the coldness hitting my tongue and inner cheeks. I had been in serious need of that. „So what do you plan on doing next Jungkook? With her I mean“, I questioned, being curious and maybe a bit jealous. „I honestly don‘t know yet. I would really like to kiss her to show her that I am serious about this all. Of course it is not love yet, but I am wanna show her that there is more for me because words seem not to work“, „And what is holding you back?“, I looked at him, tilting my head in the process. „Don‘t know. Maybe I should really just do it before it is too late“, I nodded to his words as I finished the ice cream being totally relaxed now. The coldness of the water only helping me more. Also I was extremely comfortable with Jungkook which I had never expected. 

 

Resting my hands on each side of my body, I leaned to my left side and a bit further away from the male, closing my eyes as a breeze was rushing over us. It was a chilly breeze, tickling my skin. „Should I really do it?“, he mumbled and I turned my head towards him. „If it really is a way for you to prove it to her, why not?“, smiling at him, I tried to encourage him for what he was planning and also trying to calm him down. Slowly he nodded and sat up straight and I repeated his action. „Jungkook?“, my voice was soft as he seemed to be lost in his thoughts probably weighing his thoughts and sorting them out. Soon after he turned towards me, his hand reaching for my neck. 

 

My eyes widened as my brain tried to process what was about to happen. His face came closer inch and inch until our noses brushed together. I could feel his fast and hot breath that exited from his red plump lips against my own rosy ones. I could even swear I heard his fast beating heart. My lips were slightly parted, my figure froze on the spot unable to react. Our gazes met in a stormy fight of questions and answers, orbs switching. His dark brown eyes were piercing me, looking right into my soul that carried me. His fingers lightly digged into my skin ever so lightly in a soft way as if he tried to give himself a last push. My cheeks were more red then blood could eve be which boiled in my veins. Lastly my eyelids fell closed not being able to stand his gaze any longer as I breathed in his sweet yet masculine scent of perfume. Even his breath tasted sweeter then honey to me. How bad did I want to tell him that he did not have to do this but nothing wanted to listen to me, so I waited. We kept this position for a while, taking in each other‘s scents before he rested his forehead against mine. I didn‘t dare to open my eyes just yet. I had melted down right in front of his eyes, still too unstable to look confidently at him. „Wha..“, I mumbled and small smile was visible on my lips and in that exact moment, it was all over.

 

The world stopped turning instead it was my head that suddenly felt all light, spinning around. His touch burned on my skin in a beautiful way. His lips had finally came in contact with mine. My heart stopped beating for a slight second before exploding into million pieces. My hands formed fists, slightly shaking. His lips had a touch of roughness but in a nice way- almost soft. I could feel his breath being held back by him as he pulled me even closer to himself. I tilted my head ever so slightly to give him a bit more access as our lips melted together in the kiss. One of my hands found their way to his chest, lightly holding onto the shirt he wore. The dark brown hair of his, tickled my forehead. He didn‘t move one bit which made the kiss all so innocent and sweet and honestly, I liked it. 

Sadly the kiss ended sooner then I wanted it to. 

 

As we parted, I noticed that I myself had held my breath and so I started to breath rather heavily before starting to chuckle softly. Even Jungkook chuckled softly as we rested our foreheads against another. My body was trembling and I was overwhelmed by my feelings and thoughts but also my emotions. Everything inside me was running wild and crazy. His hand from my neck down to my shoulder, following my limb down to my hand that still held his shirt, capturing my small hand in his. „Does she maybe see me now as a potential lover?“, he asked making me look at him in a surprised manner. Slowly all the puzzle pieces in my head clicked together, forming the picture making me realize what this all was for. „You- you meant me?“, I mumbled, my voice betraying me. I wanted to sound confident and strong, but it was more soft and breathy. „Dummy“, he mumbled and pecked my nose all so sweetly.

 

Our sweet and romantic moment got disturbed as high pitched screams of people around us, caught our attention, alarming us and our instincts. Quickly we were on our feet, the kiss and moment already forgotten. „What the hell?“, he exclaimed as my eyes followed his gaze towards a male. He showed the same „symptoms“ as the female I saw during the bus ride. His neck was red, trembling and barely able to stand on his feet, his limbs jerked uncontrollably before his body dropped lifelessly to the ground. „Let‘s go“, Jungkook said, ready to run but I tugged on his hand. „We need to help him Jungkook“, I protested but Jungkook held me back with a growl. „Are you serious? He might be diseased! Didn‘t you see him just now? You must be kidding me. We will leave now!“, his voice was demanding and I was surely not expecting this reaction from him but lastly, I gave in. Because in some way, he was right and there went my next puzzle to solve.

Being dragged out of the water without having been giving time to get my shoes, Jungkook hurried away with me and held my hand as if to make sure I wouldn‘t get lost in the panicked crowd. We made our way through them even as we ran into others about which Jungkook did not even care one bit. „Please slow down. My feet hurt Jungkook“, I exclaimed being totally out of breath. We had been running for about 10 minutes straight and I started to get exhausted. „I don‘t even wear shoes“, I added which now made him slow down and finally stop. „I am sorry I just.. this was horrible“, he mumbled and turned towards me as his gaze went to my feet. „You are bleeding“, he pointed out and bend down and gestured me to get on. „I am too heavy Jungkook“, „Just get on dummy. Or do you want this to get worse?“, he had a point and he knew it so I was left with no other choice but to get on to get to the bus. It was clear that our date had no officially ended.

 

After we exited my bus, Jungkook gave me another picky-back ride towards his apartment he shared with the boys. I had already informed Lina that I‘d be there and I knew she did already long for information like some hungry beast. As soon as we stepped into the apartment where they all waited, they first nearly all jumped up in euphoria to greet us but they were quickly stopped by Hoseok‘s words. „What happened? Jungkook what have you done?“, I could hear his mad undertone and suddenly all eyes were on me. My feet did bleed and were a bit red and bare. Jungkook stayed silent as he simply carried me on towards the bathroom. The whole room was silent. „I will clean you up and treat the wounds okay? I will also buy you new shoes.. I am sorry for that“, he mumbled as he got a washcloth, dipping it under the running water in the sink. I hissed slightly and pulled my right foot away as it came in contact with the washcloth, a burning sensation spreading on my foot. „We need to clean it. I am sorry that it hurts. Just try to bear it for a minute“, he mumbled, his face showing sadness and his expression was apologetic. A knock on the door followed soon after, Namjoon walking inside and all of the boys and Lina behind him, but waited outside. „Don‘t you two want to tell us what happened?“, I looked at Jungkook who seemed pained by what he had to see so I took over. „I will later on. Please leave“, I mumbled and Namjoon nodded and did as told. It was a good side of him that he knew when to obey and when to dig deeper or when it wasn‘t the right moment. „I will explain it all. You should go rest afterwards Jungkook“, and all he did was nod as he kept on cleaning and treating my feet.

 

Being seated on the couch by Jungkook, I nodded towards him and he left for his room. Taking a deep breath, I started to look for the right words. „First of, my feet aren‘t Jungkook‘s fault. So please don‘t blame him for that. Second, we were at the high sky park. Sitting by the fountain when suddenly all people around us started to scream. As Jungkook and I turned towards the cause of made them scream, we saw a male with his neck covered in blood. Limbs jerking around without any control, trembling and lastly falling dead to the ground“, I mumbled as my voice gave in. Lina gasped and covered before I added. „For me, it was the second time I saw it. Jungkook just wanted to save me and we ran, forgetting that I wore no shoes because I had my feet in the water“, as I looked up, I saw the boys look at me with unreadable faces. Finally I looked at Lina and she seemed to suspect something and I voiced it out. „I think it is this program“, after my words left my lips, Namjoon‘s ears perked up. I knew his question and so I carried on.

 

„As the most of you know, Lina and I work in the same company for technology for games. A few days ago we had a meeting with another company. They are working on future technologies. They think that it is possible to be immortal with the help of chip cards. They are inserted into our bodies, able to be removed and to be activated in a new body whenever your body you were in gets too old. All data like memories, personality, hobbies and so on, are saved on this card. I believe that those two people, were test objects gone wrong“, I explained. Yoongi got up onto his feet and growled. „This is crazy! This is just.. just Urgh!“, he couldn‘t find the right words and stomped with his foot, anger written all over him. Suddenly the TV was showing the news who just reported about those two incidents. It was Taehyung having it . Silently we watched and listened. 

 

„I am sorry if those incidents scared the people. Sadly, we have to announce that we could not help them. They were voluntary trying to help to save the life‘s of other humans. But please, if that should happen again, please stay away from the corpse. It might be infected. But of course we are working on the security that none of the people get out of the terrain again. Thank you“, it was the boss of the company we were paired up with now. He seemed to take it up easily on his shoulder and it got me mad. People were dying, giving up their life for such an idiotic program. 

Namjoon looked at Lina and then back at me. „You guys .. you knew about this?“, he questioned but I took over. „I was part of the meeting. But no one knew the exact plans nor that they‘d start just a few days later“, I explained and sighed softly as I looked back to the hallway. „He was really shocked“, I mumbled referring to Jungkook.

 

—————

 

Standing in front of the company, I felt uneasy. After what happened, I didn‘t want to go but I had to. With a heavy heart, I stepped inside and so far, everything seemed to be normal. The secretary looked up and showed a tired smile; almost forced before she went back to her papers. It was silent in here, more silent then I am used to. Walking up to my desk, I saw that Lina was there too, having the same expression on her face. It seemed pained and tired. No one spoke, no laughter - nothing. We all knew what happened and we all knew, we were all the cause of it. Sitting down, I started my computer but before I could even start my work, I was tapped on my shoulder. „Miss? The boss wants to see you“, the male said and I followed without a word. Only Lina seemed not too happy about this. 

 

Knocking on the door, I was called in and I did. Closing the door behind me, I sat down on the right chair of two in front of the huge dark wooden desk of our boss. He looked intimidating and yet tired. He had dark circles under his eyes and small bags as if his eyes were swollen. He barely had hair on his head either but that had always been like this. He rubbed his fingers along the bridge of his nose, his elbow against the arm rest of his chair. „We need more voluntary people for the tests. I want you to write out an announcement on our page and newspaper. We will also pay enough. More then usual“, he muttered and I gulped. „Sir. With all respect but, isn‘t that too much? I mean. People are dying and it should be stopped“, I said as I bit my lower lip. I heard how he gnashed his teeth and I knew he was not happy with my answer. „Who are you to talk to me like this! You are one of my best employees here! YOU DO WHAT I TELL YOU TO DO!“, he yelled, some drops of spit hitting me. „No one asked for your opinion. Go and do what I told you to. Leave now!“, quickly I got up to my feet, too scared to say another word and left. I couldn‘t do this. I couldn‘t let more people run into their death. This whole program was wrong - against the rights of humans! 

Back at my desk, I sat down and closed my eyes. I wanted to cry, I wanted to leave and run away. How could I support a program that horrible? „What happened? You look so pale“, Lina mumbled as she rubbed my back with soothing circles. „He wants me to write an announcement to get in more people for the program“, I said and took in a shaky breath.