Remember

Dance With Me

There I was again. I saw myself in my ivory form. Except I looked more monsterous. My chest, hands and clothes were washed in blood. My eyes were soulless and black. They stared off into the darkness as if they could see a I world that I could not. What was this monster with my face? Why did I dream of them every night?

Suddenly from the shadows another approached. It was the same faceless stranger. I still could not see his face. This stranger approached the creature that looked like me. They embraced with the strangers back to me. I watched as the creature held the other tightly. Than in an instant the creature's eyes looked up and into mine. I felt a shiver run along my body. 

Immediately my throat felt as if it was closing. I frantically grabbed at my neck. Within the shadows of my soul I felt a hunger build like the building of a wave. I feared it might crash upon me. I gasped but I could not breathe. The hunger within me grew. 

When finally I was pulled from the darkness. I heard my name and opened my eyes to see the savior of my nightmare. It was Yunho. 

"Are you okay?" He asked as he helped me sit up. 

"I thought I told you not to come in here unless I called you." I gasped and felt my neck. 

"You did call me. I heard you say my name a few times and so I entered. You were writhing like a mad man on your bed. I thought you might have come down with the shaking sickness." He looked to me with worry in his eyes. "Are you okay?" He asked. 

"I will be fine." I whispered as I looked away. 

What is this dream? I messaged my temples. 

"You should try to go back to sleep." Yunho begin to leave the room. 

"Wait stay. I..." I paused. "nevermind." I sighed. 

I am acting like a child. I am a grown man who shouldn't be afraid of nightmares. They are silly childish fears. I lie back down and try to find sleep again but it never comes. I am awake when the servants come. I am readied for the day. Yunho is gone before I can see him again. 

I am dressed in red and gold. The red brings back memories of my dream. The color is so dark. I want to change into something else but there is nothing else prepared. I am left to wear this blood red color. 

I am summoned by my sister who wants me to accompany her to another slave auction. I agree just to be away for awhile. All the way there my sister talked to me about the unfairness of our father but I never really heard much as I was busy with my own thoughts. 

I sat at her side as she chose a slave. Out father had ask her to buy another for she is reaching marriage age and she needs to be prepared. 

In my thoughts I am plagued by that faceless stranger. I try hard to see is face yet I only see darkness.

"Are you listening to me Jaejoong?" I am pulled from my thoughts by my sister. 

"What?" I looked to her. 

"I asked if your new slave is well. There has been a sickness going around the slave quarters. Two of Father's slaves just recently died from it. There are a few more who are showing signs that they may be getting sick." She looked away when another procession of slaves was brough forth. 

"What kind of sickness?" I asked. 

"They are calling it the Pale Death. The slaves that are sick are cold and pale. The two who died were as cold as a corpses and as white as a ghosts. They went to sleep last night and never woke up this morning. There is a rumor that if this sickness is contagious that they may kill all the slaves in the slave quarters before it spreads to us." My sister barely removed her eyes from the line of slaves before her. 

I called the servant over that followed us. 

"Make sure my sister is escorted back safely. I will leave." I stood up. 

"Where are you going?" My sister looked to me. 

"I have to go check on something." I walked quickly towards the servant quarters only to be stopped by gaurds. 

"You cannot pass my prince." Said one of the gaurds. 

"My slave?" Was all I was worried about. 

"He is awaiting your order in your room. He is clean and is allowed to leave." the other gaurd spoke. 

"Clean? How many are infected?" I asked. 

"Yesterday there was three. Now there are seven. Three dead already. Two this morning and one an hour ago. There may be a few more in a few hours. All slaves who were out last night have been asked not to return. We ask that you not return for your protection." They bowed to me and turned away. 

I sighed and hurried to my room. I found Yunho there kneeling in the area just outside my bedroom. 

"You." I pointed at him and gestured for him to rise. He stood up. "Where were you this morning? You were gone. I did not tell you to leave." 

"Forgive me Jaejoong but you didn't exactly tell me to stay put. I volunteered to gaurd you. Besides it would go against your morals to make me stay there all night. I just went back to my room once they came to get you ready but I was denied entry to the servant quarters. I came back and you were gone. I have been here since then." Yunho lowered his head in a small bow. 

"How are you feeling? Are you sick?" I asked. 

"No I don't feel sick at all. I feel fine." He reassured me with a smile. 

"Good you cannot return to the slave quarters so for now you will take up residence in the concubine wing. I will have a place prepared for you. There is mostly women with the exception of a male or two but I do not want you consorting with either. They belong to the king." I walked into my bedroom. 

"Your father?" Yunho questioned. 

"He will not touch you because it has been so long since he has visited his concubine wing. Now go and tell them that I have sent you." I waited until he left before I sighed in relief. 

At least he will be safe. 

It was night again. I sat on my bed and contemplated if I should sleep or not. I haven't had a good rest since the dreams have started. I was really tired but I was afraid to sleep. I summoned Yunho and had him meet me by the pond. 

I stood there and stared into the pond's mirror like surface. Is this monster going to become me? Am I going to become this monster? 

"You called." I turned when I heard Yunho's voice. 

"I could not sleep. I thought maybe you can keep me company." I walked along the edge of the pond. 

"Why can't you sleep are you having nightmares?" He asked. 

I weakly nodded. 

"What kind of nightmares?" He follwed me along the pond. 

"They are just worries of a future king." I lied. I could not tell him I was dreaming of myself but not myself. 

"I am sure you will make a fine king." His voice was reassuring. 

We walked along the pond in silence. His prescense was always comforting. He was somebody I would like to keep at my side always. 

"Would you like to dance?" He stepped before me and held out his hand. 

I look to his hand unsure until he takes my hand and we dance. He held me close like before and I allowed him to hold me. The tiredness I felt melted away. 

"Close your eyes." He whispered. 

I did as I was told and we swayed to the music. I begin to feel my drowsiness unlike anything I have ever felt before. I fell into the peaceful blackness. 

"Rest for now. In time you'll remember." I heard Yunho's voice in the darknesss before I melted into slumber.