Bringing the Rival

The Rival
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: And here's another one-shot with Changmin, Erin, and Changmin's rival! :))

Changmin was wearing a deep frown as he accepted the collect call. He knew only of one person who would have the nerve and the audacity to charge him instead for the long-distance call that the person was making.

Sure enough, when he answered his phone, he was immediately greeted by his best friend’s whining.

“Are you two ever planning to come back here?” Kyuhyun didn’t even bother to say “hello.”

Changmin rolled his eyes even though Kyuhyun couldn’t see his show of exasperation. “We’re already packing right now.”

“Took you two long enough.”

“You knew that Erin and I would be visiting her parents for a week,” Changmin pointed out. Their week-long stay was over, and it was now time for them to return to South Korea. Erin and Changmin were just on schedule, so Changmin had no idea what Kyuhyun was complaining to him about.

“What time is your plane landing? I’m getting bored out of my mind here!” Kyuhyun whined.

“I’m sure you can manage for a bit longer,” Changmin said exasperatedly. “You can always bully your hyungs or something.”

“Yeah, but since you went on your trip, I’ve had no one to play games with! Well, Yesung hyung immediately agreed when I asked him, but he at videogames. I want to play again with someone who’d actually present some challenge.”

Then, Changmin heard Yesung’s indignant shout in the background. “Yah! I don’t at videogames, you evil maknae!” The lead singer had obviously heard what Kyuhyun was saying about him and was annoyed by it.

“Yeah, you do, hyung,” Kyuhyun shot at him before going back to his conversation with Changmin. “So, stop over by our dorm for some serious gaming as soon as you get back, okay?”

Changmin let out an annoyed sigh just as Erin entered the room. “Yeah, sure, whatever you say, Kyu.”

And Kyuhyun disconnected the call. Just like there was no “hello” at the start, there was also no “goodbye” at the end.

“That was Kyuhyun?” Erin asked, sitting down on the bed. “What did he want?”

“Nothing. Just being his annoying, evil self,” Changmin replied as he set his phone down and went back to packing his clothes.

“You’re one to talk. Aren’t you also annoying and evil?”

Changmin ignored his girlfriend’s jibe at him. He just continued to mutter irritably under his breath. “Honestly, I don’t know what Yesungie hyung even sees in Kyu…”

Erin’s eyes widened. “What?”

Changmin quickly realized his slip. No one was supposed to know that. Heck, Yesung didn’t even know that Changmin knew. Yesung hadn’t exactly told Changmin about it; it's just that Changmin was sharp, and whenever he went to visit Kyuhyun in the Super Junior dorm, he noticed how Yesung would act around his best friend.

“Never mind,” Changmin told her hastily.

But Erin wasn’t about to just let go of that shocking tidbit. “Yesung-ssi likes Kyuhyun?”

Changmin didn’t reply and just continued packing his clothes. Erin took his silence as a “yes.”

She let out a low whistle. “Wow, you’re right—what does Yesung-ssi see in Kyuhyun? I mean, yeah, Kyuhyun is good-looking and sings well, but still… I just can’t imagine someone as kind as Yesung-ssi would fall for someone so… well, demonic.”

Then, Erin thought about her own words and realized her hypocrisy. She let out a small snort. “But I guess I’m not one to talk, am I? I also fell for an evil maknae…” She pretended to sigh in resignation and shake her head at her boyfriend.

“Very funny,” Changmin deadpanned. Then, he changed to a more serious topic. “Are you finished packing, baby? We need to leave in a few hours.”

That abruptly changed Erin’s mood.

“Yeah,” she answered quietly, her grin fading fast.

Changmin, of course, immediately noticed the sudden glumness on her face. “What’s wrong?”

“Nah, it’s nothing.” At Changmin’s pointed look, though, she admitted, “Oh, alright. I’m just gonna miss my parents. It was so nice to see them again, and now, it feels like our vacation here flew by really fast, and it’s already time to leave again. And I’m also going to miss my dog.”

Changmin had to stop himself from rolling his eyes at the last part. Of course—her dog can’t be forgotten and must be mentioned as well. Instead, he just sat beside Erin and pulled into a tight hug.

“We’ll come back and visit again soon,” he promised, making Erin smile a bit as she snuggled closer to him.

Soon enough, the few remaining hours at Erin’s parents’ house quickly passed, and it was time to get in the car and go to the airport. Changmin and Erin’s luggage was at the foot of the stairs, waiting to be stowed into the car. Erin’s parents were teary as they hugged their daughter goodbye. Of course, they’ll be bringing Changmin and Erin to the airport, but with all the usual chaos in the airport, the proper goodbyes were being said before they let the house.

“I’m going to miss you, sweetie,” her mother said tearfully.

“I’ll miss you, too, Mom,” Erin replied.

After Erin’s mom was done hugging her, Erin’s dad hugged her next. Then, after tightly hugging his daughter, he turned to Changmin and gave the K-pop idol a fierce glare. “You better take care of my daughter over there, you understand?”

Changmin gulped. “Yes, sir,” he quickly replied.

“Dad,” Erin said exasperatedly. Seriously, they were already about to leave, and her father still wasn’t done with trying to intimidate her boyfriend!

Erin’s dad was about to retort, but there was suddenly a low-pitch whine.

Everyone turned, and there was Ralph, looking and sniffing anxiously at the luggage.

Erin’s heart immediately broke. She was able to control her emotions when saying goodbye to her parents, but upon seeing her dog, her tears threatened to overflow. “Oh, man, he remembers the last time that there was this much luggage.”

Erin’s mother nodded sadly. “Yeah, just like the last time that you left. He knows that you’re going to be gone again for a long time.”

The dog now turned to Erin and let out a yelp.

Erin couldn’t handle it anymore, and she crouched down and fiercely hugged her dog. “I’m going to miss you, boy. I love you so, so, so much, my handsome, floofy dog.”

Changmin didn’t like Erin saying “I love you” to another male, even if it was her dog. But he chose not to let his jealously show, seeing as his girlfriend was already upset about saying goodbye to her precious dog. So, instead, he and Erin’s father busied themselves with putting the luggage in the car while Erin’s mother tried to her assure that they would take good care of Ralph. Just as they had been doing while Erin was in Korea for the past couple of years.

Then, it was really time to leave.

Changmin went to the spot on the floor where Erin was still sitting and hugging her dog. “C’mon, baby, we need to go now, or we might miss our flight,” he said quietly.

However, at those words, Erin really started to sob outright, alarming Changmin. The dog also became more stressed, and coupled with the knowledge that his master was about to leave again, Ralph started whining continuously, pressing himself closer to Erin and even draping his upper body over her legs. So that she couldn’t get up and leave.

“Erin…” Changmin said helplessly, lost on how to handle his girlfriend’s tears.

“I… I c-can’t, Min,” Erin stuttered out through her tears. She buried her face into the mass of fluff that was her dog and continued to cry.

“What? You can’t what?”

Erin looked up, her eyes blotchy and her cheeks totally soaked by her tears. “I c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter