Not Actually a Rival

The Rival
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Okay, I haven’t posted anything in this site for almost 2 months. I’m suffering from a major writer’s block. Especially when it comes to “An Evil Maknae’s Guide to Motherhood.”

I went to a Super Show last Saturday, though. All the Kpop feels from there got me a bit inspired to start writing again, so here’s a one-shot of Changmin x OC.

Hope you guys like it. :)

Changmin carefully and quietly stuck his copy of his girlfriend’s apartment’s key into the knob, unlocked it, and turned it.

He wasn’t being creepy, really! It was just that he wanted to surprise his girlfriend. He had been in Japan for two weeks doing promotions, and he wanted to do something sweet (yes, the evil maknae can be sweet to his girlfriend!) for her to make up for being so busy during the period. Erin had been quite supporting and understanding, and Changmin wanted to give her something to show that he appreciated everything that she does for him.

So, there was Changmin, trying to sneak into his girlfriend’s apartment, carrying a small gift bag.

As he tiptoed down the hallway (he wasn’t being creepy!), though, he heard Erin’s voice from the living room.

“No, really, I’m fine, mom,” Erin seemed to be insisting to her mother on the phone.

Erin came to South Korea a couple of years ago to work for SM. That’s how she met DBSK and how her “fighting like cats and dogs” relationship with Changmin began. Though their relationship (thankfully!) ended up into this romantic one eventually.

“I know, I know,” Changmin heard Erin sigh. “I miss you, too…”

There was no way that the DBSK maknae could fail to notice the sound of longing and nostalgia in his girlfriend’s voice.

Was Erin homesick? Changmin was immediately concerned.

Erin hadn’t been back home since she left a couple of years ago. Changmin knew that she maintained contact with her parents, calling them about twice a week. He didn’t realize before that she was badly missing home and kind of upset about it, though.

The DBSK maknae frowned to himself.

He was distracted, however, by the sudden change in his girlfriend’s tone. Erin suddenly sounded quite excited when she spoke again.

“Oh, Ralph’s there with you?” Changmin didn’t have to see her to know that she had a wide grin on her face. “Quick, mom! Let me talk to him! I’ve missed him so much!”

Changmin knew that his priority should be his girlfriend’s homesickness. He knew that he should be concerned that his girlfriend was, at the very least, slightly upset about being away from home.

And he really was concerned.

It’s just that… the moment that he heard Erin’s tone and words, concern was replaced with a stronger emotion. One that was negative.

The evil maknae was now the one that was quite upset. (No, he wasn’t jealous! Just… upset.)

Who the hell was Ralph?!

Erin didn’t have any siblings, and as far as Changmin knew, she didn’t have any close friends named “Ralph.” So, who on earth was this guy?! More importantly, why was Erin so excited to speak to him?! And who did this Ralph guy think he was that he can be someone that Erin has been “missing so much”???!!!

Changmin’s internal fuming was put to a half when Erin started speaking again.

And it seemed that Ralph was on the other end of the phone now instead of Erin’s mother because Erin said:

“Ralphy! Oh, I’ve missed you so much! Did you miss me, too? How have you been?”

…Ralphy?!

Steam was coming out of the evil maknae’s ears. His girlfriend even had a special nickname for this person?! Hell, no!

Erin didn’t even use special nicknames for Changmin! (“Min” didn’t count; everyone called him “Min.”) Yet this Ralph is Ralphy?!

But apparently, Erin wasn’t done yet with expressing how much she’s missed Ralph… and unknowingly causing her boyfriend to have an aneurysm while she was at it.

“I’ve missed you so, so, so much, handsome boy! I love it here in Korea, but it’s painful being away from you.”

Changmin supposed that he should be glad that Erin confirmed that she loved being in Korea. That was a good sign, right?

But all that the evil maknae could really focus on right now was the fact that Erin called the guy “handsome boy”!

Changmin would beg to disagree! This Ralph guy certainly wasn’t handsome! (Seeing as Changmin doesn’t even know Ralph, he can’t even know if Ralph’s handsome or not. But if you want to be the one that tells the jealous evil maknae this, be my guest.) In Changmin’s (very biased) opinion, he should be the only one that’s handsome in Erin’s eyes!

Erin, however, seemed to disagree. Because she laughed and said to the phone, “Yes, yes, you’re my most handsome boy!”

The DBSK maknae was currently vowing to find this Ralph and rip him to pieces with his bare hands. Hey, it might sound violent, but this was the evil maknae that we’re dealing with, right And Changmin was of the opinion that stealing the position of “most handsome” in his girlfriend’s eyes from him was a crime punishable by death!

“Love you so much, Raphy boy,” Erin now said a bit sadly to the phone. And it seemed that Erin’s other was back because Erin went on to say, “Yeah, thanks for letting me speak to him, mom…”

Changmin didn’t hear the rest of Erin’s conversation anymore, though. He was too preoccupied with his breaking heart.

…Did he seriously just hear Erin say that she loves Ralph?

“You’re an evil maknae! Being all sad and morose and heartbroken doesn’t go with our image! Stop that!” Kyuhyun told Changmin firmly.

An hour later found Changmin in the Super Junior dorm, being thoroughly reprimanded by his best friend and fellow evil maknae.

Though judging from Kyuhyun’s expression, he was seriously considering revoking Changmin’s “evil maknae” title because of all the moroseness.

“I just heard my girlfriend say that she loves another guy! Excuse me for being ing upset about it!” Changmin growled right back at Kyuhyun.

The Super Junior maknae just rolled his eyes, though. “Okay, I get that you’re hurt. But goddammit, Min! You’re Shim Changmin! Don’t just stop at being hurt! Get up, get out of here, and do something about the problem!”

Changmin just blinked up at him. “What are you talking about?”

Kyuhyun let out an exasperated sigh. “You’re seriously upset right now, so I’ll try to let this moment of idiocy from an evil maknae such as yourself pass… What I mean to say is that you gotta go back there and woo Erin! If she does say that she loves this Ralph guy, well, you make her love you more again! Win her from your rival, Min!”

That had Changmin thinking. Yeah, Kyuhyun was right (for once, Changmin would like to add quite meanly, but don’t let Kyuhyun know). He shouldn’t take this lying down. He wasn’t going to take this lying down! Erin was his, and he was going to fight for her!

The DBSK maknae abruptly stood up. “I’m getting her back from this Ralph!”

And with that, he rushed out of the Super Junior dorm.

The moment Changmin was gone, Yesung, who had heard the last part of the conversation, now approached Kyuhyun.

“That was quite nice of you, Kyu,” the lead singer smiled fondly at the maknae. Everyone thought that Kyuhyun only had evilness in his heart, but the maknae could be quite sweet and kind. That’s what Yesung lo—liked most about Kyuhyun.

“What are you talking about, hyung?”

“You encouraging Changmin. It’s good that you’re helping your best friend win back the love of his life.”

To Yesung’s surprise and confusion, though, Kyuhyun just snorted. “No, hyung, that was me playing with my best friend, actually.”

Yesung blinked. “Huh??”

“Changmin’s an idiot,” Kyuhyun said bluntly. “Well, okay, it’s not really about idiocy—he’s just ignorant due to his very limited presence on social media.”

“What are you on about, KyuKyu?”

“Unlike Changmin, I have other social media accounts apart from Instagram. I follow Erin on Twitter. I’ve seen her post a couple photos of Ralph before. Trust me, Ralph’s not actually a rival to Min.”

“Wait, what?! Well, why didn’t you just tell Changmin that?!”

“’Cause I want my friend to suffer for a bit and do all the hard work of ‘impressing’ Erin. Which he really doesn’t even need to do,” Kyuhyun stated, even giving a small nod, thoroughly happy and proud that he’s able to mess with his best friend.

Yesung would like to rectify his previous statement about the maknae. Apparently, everyone else was right: Kyuhyun was purely evil.

“You’re evil,” Yesung voiced out his thoughts.

Kyuhyun smirked at Yesung as he stood up from his seat. “But you love me, anyway.” And the Super Junior maknae left to go to his room.

Missing the interesting reaction of Yesung.

Kyuhyun might have said the last statement as just a joke or a tease, but Yesung’s face turned different shades of red at tho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter