But I still love it (you)

A er for Happy Endings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jennie woke up to the faint scent of vanilla.

 

It should’ve been comforting, really, knowing that she was all snuggled up to her best friend until she had remembered why they were huddled so close together. At the back of her mind, she wished that what she had seen was all just a nightmare created by her own fears and fatigue. She wished that she woke up to the scent of overpowering citrus, to the scent of Lisa’s favourite perfume. However, reality decided to slap her in the face as soon as she heard the sound of the door clicking open, and the distinct scent of grapefruit that followed.

 

“Jennie unnieee, Jisoo unnieee~!” A sickly sweet voice singsonged, the joyous voice bouncing around the room as if mocking her. Jennie stiffened, knowing exactly who owned the voice that seemed much more chipper than usual.

 

“Five more minutes,” Jisoo drawled as she squinted, seeing Lisa’s head popping in through the doorway. Her voice was terribly raspy and weak, but the maknae seemed to not realize it wasn’t because of a good night’s sleep. Jisoo pulled Jennie closer towards herself.

 

“Fine, fine. I’ll let you guys snooze a bit more since we have a day off anyway.” Lisa said as Jennie buried herself closer to the crook of Jisoo’s neck.

 

“But you guys better get up soon! Chaeyoungie and I prepared breakfast for everyone!” The maknae said excitedly, oblivious to the tears welling up in Jennie’s eyes as the sleeping pair buried themselves deeper into the large blanket.

 

“Yah, you guys are just waaay too sweet! I’m getting diabetes here!” Lisa added jokingly, still completely unaware of the situation.

 

“Then leave,” Jisoo snapped coldly while Jennie bit her bruised lip, biting back a sob. Apologizing, the maknae closed the door and chalked up her unnie’s bad mood to being disturbed so early in the morning when they had no schedules to begin with.

 

As soon as the door clicked shut, Jisoo moved Jennie to sit up on the bed and then rubbed comforting circles on her back. When the eldest felt Jennie’s breathing normalize, she moved to face her.

 

“You look like an idiot,” Jisoo said, cracking a small smile as she looked at her best friend. Jennie scoffed in mock offense, and couldn’t help but giggle.

 

“Please, like you look any better than I do right now,” Jennie shot back, sniffling loudly as she did. As if out of nowhere, Jisoo handed Jennie a box of tissues. The younger of the two was too tired to even question it.

 

“You should change into something more comfortable,” Jisoo gestured at Jennie’s clothes. The latter didn’t realize she had fallen asleep without changing into sleepwear. She was too caught up in her own emotions to care. Sliding off her jacket, Jennie padded towards her closet and changed her clothes. She cringed at how damp her shirt had gotten.

 

“I think you should change your clothes too, unnie,”  Jennie said with her back turned. Jisoo looked down at her tear-stained shirt and pulled the damp clothing off of herself.

 

“Um, can I just borrow your shirt? I used the same fabric softener as…” Jisoo trailed off, afraid that she’d break down once more if she said her name.

 

“Of course, unnie.” Jennie answered without hesitation as she handed her unnie one of her oversized shirts out of her closet without looking back.

 

***

 

As soon as the pair had put themselves together, or at least together enough that it didn’t look like they broke down and cried through the whole night— they went out of their room and into the eerily silent kitchen. Gone were the sounds of pots and pans, and the loud footsteps that the pair had heard from the confines of their room. The only things that remained were chicken skewers, and a small post-it note on the counter that read:

 

Sorry unnies, but you guys took waaaay too long!

 

This would’ve been better said in person but chaelisa is as real as jensoo now, and we’re gonna be out the whole day so have fun you two!

 

P.S. Besides the chicken, there’s also milk flavored ice cream in the fridge! (Chocolate is still superior tho, fite me unnie -yolisa)

 

-Chaelisa <3

 

Jennie bit her lip, no longer caring how bruised it was point with how much times she had done so. When Jisoo had finally arrived by her side and read the small note written with those cheap glitter scented pens, she let out a dry, humorless chuckle.

 

“They thought we were a thing,” Jisoo commented as she looked up, her gaze focused on the ceiling.

 

“How dense could they be?” Jennie added as she crumpled the post it note that faintly smelled of citrus and strawberry, discarding it carelessly.

 

“So that was why Chaeyoung asked me, of all people, for advice...” Jisoo muttered. Jennie had almost gotten whiplash with how fast she had turned her head to look at her best friend. The eldest moved to sit on the barstool beside her, her arms finding its place on the kitchen counter as she buried her head between them.

 

“Didn’t she know that you liked Lisa?” Jennie then asked, sitting beside her unnie. Jisoo lifted her head from the counter and looked at the younger as if she’d grown three heads.

 

“I don’t like Lisa?” She said in a question. “Aren’t you whipped for Chaeyoung like I am?” Jisoo continued, her face scrunching in confusion.

 

“What?! No, I like Lisa,” Jennie clarified, although her face looked just as perplexed as Jisoo’s.

 

“Wait okay so,” Jennie piped up. “I like Lisa, and you like Rosie… right?” She asked, her voice still filled with uncertainty.

 

Jisoo simply nodded in response.

 

“But I thought you liked Lisa though? All the videos of you and Lisa are—” Jisoo cut Jennie off.

 

“I thought you liked Chaeyoung because of the videos too!” The eldest exclaimed, burying her head in her arms soon after, a loud groan escaping her lips. Jennie ran a hand through her hair as she sighed loudly.

 

“They must’ve thought th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter