003

Pure Chance

Kyungsoo was tired. He had moved in yesterday and went to sleep late. It had only been a week since he started going to school. When Kyungsoo got to his desk, he put his head on his desk and tried to get an extra bit of sleep. However, as soon as he closed his eyes, he heard Chanyeol walk into the room with his friends. Trying to ignore, him he closed his eyes again, but Chanyeol didn't realize that he was trying to sleep...

"Hey Kyungsoo! Wanna hang out after-school?" Chanyeol said. Kyungsoo knew he had to hang out with Chanyeol, so he looked up and smiled at him and said,

"Sure..." Kyungsoo responded. He didn't want to hang out. He was the type of person who rather stay home alone and read a good book.

*****

Chanyeol and Kyungsoo walked to the convenience store and were looking around, grabbing snacks. Kyungsoo didn't grab much, but then Chanyeol grabbed out of his arm.

"I'll buy it today!" Chanyeol said, smiling at Kyungsoo. They argued about whether or not Chanyeol was going to pay, but in the end, Chanyeol won. After eating, they went to an arcade. Kyungsoo hasn't been to the arcade since elementary school. Chanyeol dragged Kyungsoo to a claw machine. Kyungsoo watched as Chanyeol smiled, laughed, and complained. And then Kyungsoo realized that he was smiling, too. When Chanyeol finally got a plushie, both of them cheered. Chanyeol took the plushie and looked at Kyungsoo. It was a penguin plushie and said, "It looks just like you!"

"How does that look like me?!" Kyungsoo said.

"Both of are... soft. And plus, you're like a penguin," Chanyeol said. Kyungsoo slapped Chanyeol and he laughed. Kyungsoo also laughed. And it was the first time he genuinely laughed in a long time.

They ended up spending most of the day outside. Smiling, he walked home with Chanyeol.

"Today was really fun! We should hang out more," Chanyeol said.

"Yeah... We can hang out some time..." Kyungsoo said.

"Well, this is my place! See you on Monday!" Chanyeol yelled as he walked into the gate. Kyungsoo could understand why someone would want to elminate the only heir of the family. Kyungsoo looked at the large home and started walkinng to his temporary home.

When Kyungsoo got home, he sat on the bed. He smiled and laughed today... and... it wasn't forced. He was wondering what made him laugh. He didn't want to think abou it. He knew that he couldn't trust Chanyeol. Everyone who acts nice or tries to get close to you will hurt you. At  least that's what Kyungsoo's life had led him to thnk.

*****

Eight years ago...

"Jongin! Do you want to go to the arcade together?" Kyungsoo asked.

"Sorry... I have to go home early today," Jongin said.

"It's fine! See you tomorrow," Kyungsoo said.

Sehun, Kyungsoo's other friend said he was busy, so Kyungsoo decided he was going to go the arcade by himself. While he was playing on one of the machines, he heard someone yell,

"Yah! I almost had him!"

Kyungsoo looked in the direction of the voice. It was Jongin and Sehun playing on one of the shooter game. Next to them were a couple other boys from their class.

"Kyungsoo asked me to come to the arcade today, too," Jongin said, laughing. "He's kinda weird..."

The conversation carried on. Kyungsoo listened for a little longer, but he ran home right after. His mom was at home, making dinner, but immediately stopped. His mom was always there for him.

Kyungsoo's mom gently asked, "What's wrong?" Nine year old Kyungsoo cried into his mom's stomach as she rubbed her hand down his back.

"Jongin and Sehun aren't my friends," Kyungsoo said. "Th-they said that they were b-busy. S-so Jongin and Sehun didn't c-come with me to a-arcade. But they were at the arcade without me."

"Don't worry, Kyungsoo. You'll meet better people. And always remember that I am your best friend. I'll never leave you," she said, holding Kyungsoo's little hand."

"You pp-promise?" Kyungsoo asked, looking at his mom.

"I promise," she said, linking Kyunsoo's finger with her's. But she lied. She didn't stay forever.

*****

Kyungsoo stared at the ceiling of his "room." There were posters on the wall, but he really didn't have many interests. He just... kind of forgot about it. He was busy all the time. With a long term assignment, he might be a little less busy. Maybe he'd find some interest. He knew his life was incredibly boring; he didn't do anything about it. Staring at the posters on the wall, he decided he's look at what they were about. The first poster on his wall was a poster on his wall was apparently a from a movie. It was called Assassination. Kyungsoo started watching the movie when his phone went off.

Chanyeol: Are you good at math?

Kyungsoo: Kinda... It's one of my stronger subjects. Why?

Chanyeol: Can you help me with homework?

Kyungsoo: Sure. Do you want me to video call?

Chanyeol: Can you? Thank you <3 :)

Kyungsoo pulled his textbook and a piece of graph paper out when he noticed his phone was going off. Chanyeol was spamming heart and thank you emoticons on Kakao Talk. He smiled and took grabbed his phone.

Kyungsoo: Yah! Stop spamming, you idiot.

Chanyeol: I'm not an idiot. :(

Kyungsoo: Do you want to help you to help you or not?

Chanyeol: I'm sowwy... *insert cute sorry emoticon*

Kyungsoo: Stop with the aegyo.

Chanyeol: <3 <3 <3

Kyungsoo: I'm going to leave.

Chanyeol: Okayokayokay I'll stop. alkdjlkjasdawjilskndkjadnajdnjsdksjekwn

Kyungsoo opened his textbook and video called Chanyeol.

"Which problem do you need help on?" Kyungsoo asked.

"Number 32 on page 388," Chanyeol said.

After a  series of questions and answers, Chanyeol and Kyungsoo ended finishing their math homework together.

"Thanks, Kyungsoo," Chanyeol said.

"No problem... Just... never show me your aegyo again."

"Are you sure you don't wanna see my aegyo?" Chanyeol said as he pouted.

"Yah!" Kyungsoo said as he slapped his phone camera. Chanyeol and Kyungsoo started laughing.

"Kyungsoo... sometimes I feel like you are my only real friend. All of my other friends... seem to be a little more shallow."

"Are you sure? We just became friends. I'm sure they care a lot about you," Kyungsoo said, feeling slightly guilty, knowing his true intentions on becoming close with Chanyeol.

"Yeah... they never really help me with things, ask me for things, and seem to hang around only because I have a lot of money."

"Well what do you expect from a clumsy happy virus like you?" Kyungsoo said, smiling. Chanyeol laughed. They continued their conversation for a couple hours before both said their good nights.

"Kyungsoo... good night, penguin," Chanyeol said and before Kyungsoo could yell at him, he hung up. Kyungsoo could feel a smile creeping on his face and his heart felt like... it was beating too fast. And it wouldn't stop... even when Kyungsoo tried to go to sleep.

_________________________________

A/N: Thank you for reading! I know I uploaded this late, so I'm sorry. I hope you had a good day.