Careless

Summer Moon

He finally reaches the top, his lungs on fire and his legs throbbing. He stands up straight with his hands on his hips trying to control his breathing. A triumphant smile spreads across his lips, it had been months since he had started running again and his progress has been better than he expected. Although he feels like dying he has never felt better. The warm sun rays peeking through the tress keeping him warm despise the cold weather. He spends a few minutes enjoying the view before deciding to head down. The run up was easy, now that he is tired he knows going down will be hard. 

He starts his descend increasing his speed as he goes down the trail, the tress becoming nothing but a blur as he runs. The cold wind rushes past him making his cheeks red and numb. All he can hear is the thump of his racing heart, the adrenaline making him run faster despise the pain in his legs. He makes a sharp turn and bumps into something making him almost fall as he trips over his feet. He hears a short cry and realizes he bump into someone. 

He turns around and sees someone on the ground. He walks towards the woman and stretches his hand “are you ok?” 

She is taken by surprise and doesn’t hear him. The woman stands up and feels a sharp pain running through her knee. She reaches down and rubs her knee, her eyes get wide when she looks at the camera on the ground making her forget the pain for second.   “My camera!” she reaches down and picks up the camera inspecting the damage. 

“Are you crazy?! You need to watch where you are going” the woman turns to look at him. 

He looks at her and sees that she has a scratch in her knee. He points to her knee “are you ok?”  he asks again. 

She keeps looking at the camera and murmuring under her breath. Ignoring the man in front of her and focusing all of her attention to the camera, holding it up; the crack on the lens reflecting the light from the sun. 

He sees that she is not paying attention to him and he starts to become annoyed  “look,  you shouldn’t just be in the middle of the road” he says slightly raising his voice. 

“You were the one that was not paying attention... you bumped into me” finally turning her attention to him. 

 He shakes his head as he sees that she is more interested in the camera than him or herself  “look, it's just a camera. It’s no big deal” 

“Who are you to say what is a big dea?l” Her face starting to frown. The pain starting to  cloud her judgement. “It’s a big deal to me” 

He scoffs and shakes his head “ fine, fine. its a big deal” he takes out a business card from his wallet and hands it to her. “ call my manager and he will get this taken care of” 

She puts her hands in her hips and shakes her head refusing the card “wow, really?! I don’t care who you are but you need to apologize” she looks at him with a stern look on her face. 

“Apologize? You were the one that wasn’t paying attention. Why should I apologize?” he scoffs at her. A 1 minute before he would have apologize but now…now he just wants to end this and forget this unfortunate situation. 

She takes a step forward camera in hand “why?! You bump into me and dropped my camera” she extends her hand showing him the damage to the lens “look… do you know how much this will cost?” all she was looking for was an apology now… now she is livid. Who does he think he is to talk to her like that. 

He takes a step back “I was not the one that dropped it, you dropped it. I have no reason to apologize” he moves her hand away and starts walking pass her. 

She reaches and grabs his arm “ I wasn’t done talking” she says in a stern tone. Locking eyes with the tall man for the first time. 

He doesn’t avert his eyes as he takes her hand and moves it away. “I was” he looks at her and walks away. He would never talk to anyone like this but her attitude is making him mad. 

‘HEY!” she turns towards him grabbing her bag and drops it when she feels a slight sting on the palm of her hand. She looks down and sees a small cut, some blood coming to the surface, the edges of the cut starting to swell. 

He takes one last look at her and for a second hesitates before heading down again. 

The woman looks up and sees him walk away. The adrenaline from the situation slowly going away making her feel all of the pain in her hand and knee. She picks up her bag and puts her camera back in it. She reaches down and picks up the card she had previously refused. She quietly reads the name on the card "Park Choong-jae", wishing to never see him again.