Gem on Gangnam

I Am a Part of All I Have Read
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The familiar chime of bells tied to the shop’s front door rang out, alerting Joohyun of incoming customers. “Welcome in!” Joohyun called cheerfully from behind the cluttered counter. She straightened from where she had been stooped over, rearranging boxes of newly arrived books to be stocked.

Out of habit, she smooths a hand over her blouse, ensuring her appearance didn’t look too ruffled. It was a bright, Saturday afternoon. The radiant sun hung high in the air, casting everything in a shimmering, summery glow. If only the temperature matched the warm weather, Joohyun thought to herself. Touches of spring were popping up here and there - a few days with decent temperatures, some of the trees were beginning to flower.

February was nearly over and Joohyun couldn’t wait for March to arrive. Maybe then she wouldn’t have to wear three layers just to walk outside for a second. A pair of girls had stepped arm in arm through the threshold, speaking in hushed tones. Joohyun glanced over at them and felt her body stiffen. That side profile...wait a second, wasn’t that...? Before Joohyun could get a better look, the girls disappeared behind one of the Fiction bookshelves.

“Huh,” Joohyun muttered to herself, shaking her head. She hoped she wasn’t starting to imagine things. She turned back to tearing open boxes with her boxcutter and setting them out for her coworkers, Nayeon and Jeongyeon, to display throughout the store. Over the David Bowie record playing, she could just make out their voices from somewhere in the back of the store, no doubt bantering over how to best display the books. Joohyun cracked a smile. They were both interesting characters.

Nayeon was constantly flirting with Jeongyeon, but the other girl didn’t seem to realize it. Because she was so good at brushing off Nayeon’s advances, Joohyun couldn’t tell if the advances were serious or not. Sometimes, things seemed reciprocated. Jeongyeon would flirt back on some days, flashing her stunning smile to Nayeon and making the other girl trip up over her words. Other times, Jeongyeon merely scoffed. It was a little confusing.

Regardless, Joohyun enjoyed working with them. Their playful, prankster dynamic added a lot of character to Joohyun’s shifts. When Joohyun had just started at Gem on Gangnam, Nayeon had pulled one of the cheesiest pranks in the book on her, and she still fell for it. Joohyun broke down the empty box, neatly folded it into the recycling bin, then moved to open the next box.

They’d had been preoccupied all day by displaying the latest of their stock on the shelves lining the walls. This latest shipment was larger than they were used to. Consequently, it was taking twice the usual amount of time for them to sort it away. Their store, though only a few years old, had gained popularity due to its close proximity to popular shopping areas and restaurants.

Luckily, only a handful of customers had dropped by during Joohyun’s shift so far. Fewer people were out and about, donning thick downy parkas to protect them from the biting cold. The majority of people who came into the store knew exactly what they were looking for and where to get it from. These customers were in and out of the store in less than ten minutes. Others lingered in the store, walking around leisurely and thoroughly checking out their wares.

Joohyun enjoyed watching them browse around, poring through everything. Gem on Gangnam boasted local ownership, a large selection of books from around the world, and featured local artists’ work. Drawings and paintings in various colors, styles, shapes, and sizes decorated the creamy walls in handsome frames. Handmade pottery, embroidery, jewelry, and other trinkets were tastefully laid out on various tables for customers to view.

Row upon row of books were displayed in natural wood shelves, complete with built in lights that cast a heavenly glow upon each title. Various houseplants and succulents were scattered throughout the store on shelves along the walls. A few adorned the tops of bookshelves, further emphasizing the natural, earthy element of the store. Armchairs of crushed green velvet were placed around the room, encouraging patrons to sit and read. The entire store ambiance screamed warmth and welcoming. Joohyun loved it.

A vintage record player, gently refurbished, softly played behind the counter. Picking out what music she wanted to listen to from the store’s immense collection was one of Joohyun’s favorite parts of the job. Music was probably her second love to reading. Another reason why Joohyun enjoyed working with Nayeon and Jeongyeon is that they always let her get first dibs on what records to play.

On the other side of the store, a different pair of voices are steadily growing in volume. Three boxes left. Nayeon and Jeongyeon were slowly making progress. After Joohyun finished unboxing what was left of the box in front of her, she would join them, categorically shelving the books for customers to see.

“I could’ve sworn they had it listed on their website,” one of them was saying. Though distinctly feminine, it had a deep, relaxing quality to it. Joohyun could hear the frown in her voice. Clearly, the owner of the voice was in distress. “I made sure I double-checked before we came here, so it’s got to be somewhere. I knew I should’ve looked for it sooner if I hadn’t been scheduled to work so much.”

“Hey, calm down, it’ll be alright. I’m sure it’s here, too. Maybe we should ask one of the employees?” There’s a pause. Joohyun guessed they were probably looking around for Nayeon and Jeongyeon, no doubt still nagging at each other. “Well, those two look like they’re in the middle of restocking...maybe the girl at the front desk can help us? I’ll ask for you if you’re too nervous.”

Joohyun felt her chest tighten at the familiarity of that voice. No doubt, that must be...before she could finish the thought, Seulgi rounded the corner, arm in arm with a girl she didn’t recognize. The newcomer’s pale, serious face was framed by a set of silky bangs and a sharp jaw. Her hair was the color of moonlight, a soft silvery color. She had a set of piercing eyes that remained trained to the ground as Seulgi led the way to the front desk.

Although she seemed shy and embarrassed, a quiet air of confidence hung around her broad shoulders. She was pretty, Joohyun thought to herself. Really, really pretty. Joohyun felt her stomach lurch a little. Were she and Seulgi...an item? Is that why they were here together, arm in arm? A flare of jealousy ignited in her. She found herself scrambling to maintain her composure, pretending to flip through one of the books strewn about the counter.

“Um, excuse me, ma’am?” Joohyun looked up with her customer service smile. Seulgi froze when she recognized her. “Oh! Joohyun, it’s you!” She called out in surprise, eagerly making her way over to the counter. Joohyun laughed, giving her a tiny wave.

“Hi, Seulgi.”

“Oh my goodness, Joohyun, hello!” She greeted her warmly, suddenly forgetting the girl standing beside her. Seeing the girl’s undeniable joy quickly extinguished the writhing jealousy Joohyun had been experiencing. Seulgi combed a quick hand through her hair and stepped up to the register. The girl beside her gave Joohyun a quick once over before dipping her head shyly in greeting, lingering a tiny bit behind Seulgi.

“I didn’t know you worked here!” Seulgi said.

Joohyun beamed at her and her friend, neatly rearranging the counter to make it less cluttered. “Yeah, it’s kind of cool, isn’t it?” She made a show of looking around the room for added effect. “We’ve been working on getting the right kind of atmosphere for a while, I think we’ve finally got it.”

“I think so, too. This place suits you, you know, being an English major and all. It’s very tranquil in here,” Seulgi gestures around the store with a wave of her hand. “The music’s always good, too. How long have you been pushing books for?”

“About a year and a half now.”

Seulgi’s eyebrows shoot up in surprise. “Really?”

Joohyun nods her head.

“That’s so weird,” Seulgi frowns. “I feel like I should’ve run into you before.”

“You’re a regular?” Joohyun asks, surprised.

“Yeah, I come here all the time! This is one of the few places near campus that has a huge selection of international stuff. Usually, whatever I’m looking for, you already have in stock. Plus this place is like, a stone’s throw away from my apartment.” She props an arm up on the countertop casually, “And there’s a really good café just across the street.” Seulgi jabs a finger behind her, aimed at the aptly named coffee shop, the Tea Leaf.

“You like the Tea Leaf, too?” Joohyun asked excitedly, her smile growing. At these new discoveries, she had long forgotten the flutter of jealousy felt at the sight of Seulgi’s friend.

“Yes! Their lavender honey latte is one of the best things I’ve ever tasted. One of my friends brought me there and had me try it, never ordered anything else since then. I like to ride my bike down here, pick out a book, then head over for a coffee and get some studying done.”

“That sounds really nice! I’m a fan of their chai tea lattes, just the right amount of spices for me. Sometimes I go there after a shift and do homework, too,” Joohyun says enthusiastically, absorbing the information. She had to admit, it was rather odd she and Seulgi hadn’t crossed paths earlier.

Then again, Joohyun didn’t spend much time daydreaming or staring out of the shop’s windows during her shifts (Exhibit A: Nayeon, Exhibit B: Jeongyeon). She also liked to keep the latest book she was reading under the counter, using her free time during her shift to continue reading.

“Oh, chai tea? Is that what you usually get when you go to cafe’s?” Joohyun nodded, “I usually drink enough coffee as it is, so I like to get something different when I’m at a coffee shop. I practically live and breathe coffee beans.” She tucks a strand of hair behind her ear, feeling a tad bit shy.

“Me too. I usually drink two cups a day during the week! I’ll have to try one next time I go, it sounds nice,” Seulgi ran a hand through her hair again.

“And I’ll get the honey lavender latte, it sounds delicious.”

They stared fondly at each other before a quiet cough from Seulgi’s companion snapped them out of it. Instantly, Seulgi turned to the girl, as if only then realizing she’d been standing there all along. Joohyun peered over at her once more but found she still didn’t recognize her from anywhere. She bit back the urge to let the smile drop off her face.

“Ah, yes,” Seulgi said, waving her friend forward urgently. “Joohyun, this is my roommate, Moonbyul!” Moonbyul bowed curtly at her and flashed a charming smile up at her.

“It’s nice to meet someone I’ve heard so much about,” she said smoothly, shooting a mischievous look at Seulgi. Joohyun managed to keep her surprise in check, taking the other girl’s words in stride. So Seulgi had been talking about her? Interesting. “Don’t, uh, mind her, she’s known for pulling jokes on people,” Seulgi wheezed beside Moonbyul, clearly trying to brush off what she’d said.

Moonbyul rolled her eyes at her roommate and winked at Joohyun when Seulgi looks away. “My ap

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter