Fate That We Can't Control

To The Moon And Back

A/N: Chuuves in the house! First off, I'd like to apologize for the length but it's impossible to make it shorter without keeping in the essentials. I couldn't chop it in smaller parts either because I thought it might ruin the flow. Just please bear with the length. Again, I am sorry. I'll try to keep the next part to around 4K words only.

Word count: 5,402 words

------------------------------------

 

Ha Sooyoung had her life mapped out since she was 17. Her plan was to study her off in high school so she can get into the best Seoul university, take one year of classes from there and then fly off to London where she will finish her Bachelor’s and jump right into Master’s. Once she gets her MBA, she’ll take over her grandfather’s multimillion business empire and BOOM! Youngest lesbian CEO in the world. It’s simple enough. Or so she thought.

 

She graduates high school and gets in the national university without a hitch. But things get thrown off from there. She hadn’t known that uni would be… like this. Nobody told her that it would offer this freedom and pleasure. Parties almost every day. Departmental outings every weekend. Drinking in bars. Dancing in clubs. Kissing and touching girls behind locked doors. It’s like all the fun she swore off during her younger years had come for her now.

 

Sooyoung’s plan was simple. It should’ve been but she failed to factor in her affinity for fun (she’s only 21 after all). So now, here she is, blinking her eyes in unbelief at her calculus professor.

 

“I’m not sure if I heard you right, professor. Remedial summer classes?” She clarifies.

 

The professor looks back at her, unfazed. “You heard me right, miss Ha. Remedial summer classes.”

 

“See, here, sir. I aced all of the exams. I also got the highest score on the final project. Why do I have to take remedials?” She tries to reason.

 

The professor adjusts his glasses on the bridge of his nose as he pulls out an old fashioned record book from his desk drawer. “I thought I made it quite clear from the very start that the only thing I am strict on is the class attendance, miss Ha.”

 

He flips through the record book, stabs a finger to Sooyoung’s name when he locates it. “Maximum six absences as per the university rule on attendance.”

 

“I only have six! I kept track, sir!” She insists.

 

“Ah, but I think you are forgetting that three lates is equivalent to one absence.” He says, a bit smugly.

 

Sooyoung screws her eyes shut to suppress the sudden urge for murder. The last one was when she had been held back by Jinsol because she asked her for her opinion on a girl she made out with. Goddamit, Jinsol.

 

“Do you understand now?”

 

Sooyoung sighs. “Is there any other way to work around it, sir?”

 

“No, there isn’t.” He says firmly. “I believe in the age-old principle of an eye for an eye, you see. It’s final. Attend the summer remedial classes without exceeding the maximum absences and I will give you a passing grade. Get perfect attendance and I will give you the grade your performance deserves. You may go now.”

 

Sooyoung drags her feet as she heads for the door.

 

“Oh, and miss Ha?”

 

Hope quickly rises in her and she turns her head so fast that her neck makes a popping sound.

 

“While you’re at it, help your friend, miss Jung, to actually pass this time. I’ll see you both in class in a week.”

 

She’s let down just as quickly.

 

Sooyoung really does try not to slam the door behind her but she’s just so frustrated right now. Jinsol’s leaning against the opposite wall, waiting for her with a wide grin that rubs salt all over her wounds.

 

“Cheer up, bud. At least, we’ll be together.” Her friend says, throws an arm around her shoulder as she leads her down the hallway.

 

Sooyoung huffs angrily at this major setback to her plans. Not only is a ing conditional grade in the way of her transfer to London, but she also has to stay for a whole six weeks on campus to attend remedial classes. The worst part is she knows she doesn’t have anyone to blame but herself. Like she’s really never going to hear the end of this from her sister.

 

&&

 

Jiwoo still can’t believe that she’s been accepted to SNU’s visual arts program. It isn’t official yet but she knows she’s as good as in. The thing is, she might’ve been too invested in building her portfolio that she had neglected her grades a little that it’s below the cut-off requirement (just a smidge). Fortunately, though, the admissions office still gave her a chance. All she needs to do is go through the summer bridge program.

 

Her excitement couples with anxiety as she walks past unfamiliar buildings and intimidating colleges kids. Jiwoo thinks how it would’ve been great to have Jungeun with her today but she didn’t want to impose on her, since she doesn’t have to attend bridge like she does. And really, Jungeun’s already helped a lot by sending her all necessary info (it must be nice to be dating someone in the same university who’s a year ahead).

 

Jiwoo consults the campus map on her phone and figures out where she’s supposed to go. She gets there in a little less than five minutes but by that time, some students have already arrived, exchanging names and talking loudly with their seatmates.

 

Feeling nervous about not knowing anyone, she picks a seat at the back. She regrets it almost immediately, seeing how far she is from the whiteboard, so she gets up to occupy the seat on the following row instead. But she stops when two tall girls beat her to it.

 

They’re facing away from her and she can only look at their back profiles blankly.

 

“... are they ing serious though? They’re combining the remedial classes with the bridge?” The brunette says to the blonde one.

 

“Chill, Hasoo. Budget cuts aren’t new. And really, how bad can it be?” The blonde says with a shrug.

 

At that moment, she sees Jiwoo looking their way through the corner of her eye and gives her a polite smile. Flustered, she quietly panics (gay panics). The girl is pretty, with big sparkling eyes and thin pinkish lips. She recovers in time to smile back. Just then, the professor enters and the pretty blonde girl turns to the front. Jiwoo completely abandons her plans of changing seats.

 

The class starts with a lengthy discussion of the course outline and class policies and an even lengthier explanation of why the mathematics department has decided to combine bridge takers with special remedial takers (aka students with awfully close to passing grades but still fell short because of one thing or another). It’s just like what Jiwoo heard the two girls talking about.

 

“...it may be unconventional but we’re hoping to evoke a sense of responsibility from our older students to help the incoming freshmen. With that said, I will now assign you into pairs.”

 

The upperclassmen make noises of disapproval but the professor ignores them and proceeds.

 

“Kang Yaebin and Kim Minkyung.”

 

Jiwoo patiently waits for her name to be called.

 

“Kim Jiwoo and... Jung Jinsol?” She slowly raises her hand, sees the blonde girl also raise hers.

 

Oh?

 

Jinsol looks at her and smiles again before she pats the empty seat on her other side. Jiwoo gets up from her seat and comes to her.

 

“Hello, young one! My name’s Jung Jinsol. I’m majoring in dance.” She greets her enthusiastically, holds out a dainty hand for her to shake.

 

“Oh, yes. Nice to meet you. I’m Kim Jiwoo. I’m in visual arts.” Jiwoo replies, takes the hand and tries to match the older girl’s enthusiasm.

 

Her eyes stray just a little bit to Jinsol’s other side, to get a glimpse of her friend and-

 

Her jaw nearly drops to the floor because if she thinks Jinsol is pretty, her friend is drop-dead gorgeous.

 

She doesn’t want to compare them because that would be difficult since they have different charms. But it’s as if Jinsol has a warm, pretty, and kind unnie vibe whereas her friend gives off chic, cold, femme fatale charms. She looks like she walked off the pages of W Korea and Jiwoo can’t tear her eyes off her.

 

“Oh, right. Jiwoo, this is my bestie, Sooyoung. She’s a business major.” Jinsol says.

 

Sooyoung meets her eyes and Jiwoo feels as though she could melt.

 

“Oh, hello.” She says, averts her gaze to anywhere but at Sooyoung.

 

Even her name is pretty.

 

“Yeah, hi.” The older girl greets back. Jiwoo thinks she smiles (more like smirks) a little at her. Well, she isn’t sure and she’s too scared to check.

 

Thankfully though, Jinsol grabs her friend’s attention. “Who’d you get assigned to? I wasn’t listening.”

 

“I didn’t catch the kid’s name but that’s her over there.” Sooyoung replies, points to a student sitting near the front.

 

“Oh my god. Tall, hot one?” Jinsol gasps, forming an O.

 

Jiwoo doesn’t want to judge because, for all she knows, she might’ve looked like that when she saw Sooyoung.

 

The two friends exchange looks some more before Sooyoung’s eyes land on her again (she swears she was a hair-breadth away from spontaneous combustion).

 

“Do you want to ask if we can switch?” Sooyoung suggests in a monotone voice.

 

“You’ll take Jiwoo?” Jinsol, on the other hand, sounds rather grateful.

 

“Uhmm,” Jiwoo raises her hand, wants to be included in the conversation since it’s her they’re talking about.

 

“No, girl, trust me. It’s better for you to go with Sooyoung.” Jinsol says, pats Sooyoung on the shoulder once. “She would’ve gotten an A- in this class if not for excessive absences. I, on the other hand, totally flunked. Tanked big time, you know?”

 

“That’s because you didn’t even try. You’re pretty good with maths.” Sooyoung mumbles.

 

“Shush.” Jinsol hisses at her then turns to Jiwoo again. “Are we good?”

 

Jiwoo doesn’t know what to say so she nods and smiles, ducks her head when she catches Sooyoung’s eye again. And yes, she’s definitely smiling at her.

 

&&

 

Something changed when she saw Jiwoo. Sooyoung isn’t quite sure what it is yet. She just knows it happened and it happened fast. One moment, she was dreading how the next six weeks would be for her and in the next, she’s wondering how someone could be so damn beautiful and bright that it’s surely a threat to the sun. Needless to say, it left a lasting impression on her (try two whole ing sleepless nights).

 

It’s weird because Sooyoung’s had her fair share of girls - soft girls, bad girls, and good girls. It’s not as much as Jinsol had, but still, she can say that she has a way with women. She goes through them quickly, too. Like, she’d be at a party and if she finds an attractive girl there, she’d either be making out with her by the end of the night or not do anything and forget about it the next day. She’s never even had a relationship that lasted more than a week. It was just how it was, so imagine what it’s like to find that she still can’t get Jiwoo off her mind even though the girl is right next to her.

 

She steals a glance at her and tries to figure out what it is about her that commands her attention so much. Is it the half-moon eyes? Is it the cute nose? Or the lips that always stretch to the world’s most beautiful smile? Sooyoung doesn’t know and she fears finding out that it’s everything about her. Because if it is, then that means she’s in big trouble.

 

“Sooyoung unnie.” Jiwoo softly calls, leans closer to her so she can show her what she’s working on the exercise sheet. Sooyoung holds her breath for a second at the proximity. Jiwoo’s eyelashes are long and thick and what is that sweet fruity smell? Strawberries and cream?

 

“I’m not sure what to do here. Can you explain it to me?” Jiwoo looks up at her, eyebrows meeting and teeth biting on her lip in frustration. It’s not supposed to be anything but Sooyoung wants so much to take her face in her hands and just gush at her.

 

But that would be weird so she sits up straighter in her chair and looks at the worksheet instead of at Jiwoo.

 

“Okay,” She pulls out her own exercise sheet, shows her solution to the younger girl. “See, it’s similar to what we did in the third problem but instead of doing the exact same thing, you have to do this…”

 

Sooyoung gets to the details of solving the problem, feels proud of herself for being able to do so in front of her crush.

 

Ah, right. Crush.

 

That’s what this is. A simple crush. A crush to make her feel less stressed. A crush she can draw some motivation from to finish the six weeks of burdensome remedial classes. And a crush that will be nothing more. It can’t be more because she can’t afford any distractions when she’s got London and her future to worry about. Youngest lesbian CEO in the world!

 

“Ahh!” Jiwoo exclaims when she finishes explaining. The younger girl bows her head quickly, feeling embarrassed for making noise in the library. “Sorry.”

 

Sooyoung smiles at her for being adorable. “Do you get it now?”

 

“I do.” Jiwoo nods.

 

“Try solving the next ones for practice.”

 

“I will.” Jiwoo throws her a grateful smile and gets to work again while Sooyoung tries not to ogle at the look of concentration on her pretty face.

 

&&

 

The library’s AC unit is broken today. They knew none of them would get any studying done in there but with midterms around the corner, they just can’t skip for something as trivial so they end up in a cafe close to the campus. And now, Jiwoo stands to the side near the order counter, frantically searching her wallet for cash. It was supposed to be a regular study session so she didn’t think of bringing much money with her.

 

“Whatchu doin?” She looks up from her wallet and sees Jinsol bending to her eye-level.

 

Embarrassed, she jumps back a little. It’s the little things like this that make her realize how awfully young she is compared to her two new friends. It’s not like she’s intentionally trying to look mature and cool in front of them (Chaewon would probably hit her on the head if she ever does) but she wants to give off a nice impression to them (Sooyoung being her first college crush and all).

 

“You don’t have money? That’s okay. You can just charge it on Sooyoung.” Jinsol says simply, smiles that same charming smile.

 

Jinsol’s very direct but in a non-offensive and quite lovable way, Jiwoo realizes. But that doesn’t mean she’ll just let this slide.

 

“Unnie! I can’t! I-I shouldn’t.” She retaliates because she not about to mooch off on someone and especially not on Sooyoung.

 

Jinsol shakes her head at her

 

“No, listen. This place is pricey and we were the ones who picked it so you shouldn’t have to pay for anything here! And really, Sooyoung won’t mind. Her family’s loaded so she always has a lot of cash on her.” Jinsol caps off her speech with a wide grin to dismiss the matter but Jiwoo still feels apprehensive.

 

“What do you guys want?” Sooyoung appears at her other side, standing tall and looking gorgeous in a high-waist shorts and a cropped tee.

 

Jiwoo might have stared far too long than what was necessary but she catches herself in time to hear Jinsol say told you so before she turns to Sooyoung and says you know my usual. Sooyoung nods in reply to that and Jinsol walks away to find a table for them.

 

With it just being the two of them by the counter, Jiwoo feels incredibly shy. Like it’s her first time meeting her again. Never mind that they’ve been studying together for weeks now.

 

“What do you want, Jiwoo?” Maybe Sooyoung senses it because she tries to ease her with a smile and a hand on her shoulder. “Go on. Say it.”

 

“I, uh, I’ll have whatever you’re having, Sooyoung unnie.” Jiwoo finally says.

 

“Mhmm. Cool. You sure though? ‘Cause I’m getting a peach iced tea.”

 

She bites back a smile. It’s probably childish but are they soulmates or what? They have the same tastes!

 

“I’m positive.” She replies, feels her shyness get devoured by a hurricane of fluffy emotions inside of her.

 

“And food? Wait. Lemme guess. Something sweet with strawberries?” Sooyoung looks her in the eye.

 

“How’d you know?” And the hurricane intensifies.

 

The older girl freezes for a second, like she got caught, and then chuckles. “I might’ve caught a glimpse of what you look at on your phone when we’re on break.”

 

She plays it off with a laugh but deep inside she feels as if her heart is about to burst. Sooyoung pays attention to her? Maybe not as much as she pays attention to her but still. Oh my god.

 

Jiwoo breathes and shakes her head a little. No. It’s nothing. She isn’t going to read too much into it but this is definitely going in her diary entry later. Ack.

 

“I can take care of this. Go sit with Jinsol.” Sooyoung says to her when she’s become too quiet.

 

“Nah. I think I’ll help you with the tray first, unnie.” Jiwoo takes a bold step closer to her and smiles at her.

 

“Yeah, okay.” Sooyoung mumbles and it’s her turn to shyly look away.

 

&&

 

“So Sooyoung unnie finally has a serious crush, huh?”

 

Sooyoung spares her kid cousin, Hyejoo, a look (the kid part is arguable because Hyejoo’s going on to her high school senior year this coming fall).

 

“She does, Hyejoo.” Jinsol replies in a firm tone. “She hasn’t even so much as touched another girl since we started summer classes. I’m telling you it’s because of her study buddy, Jiwoo.”

 

They’re at that ice cream parlor near Jinsol’s apartment, sitting by the curb and eating waffle cones as they watch cars and skaters pass by the small street. This is something the three of them do once in a while because Hyejoo is fond of Jinsol unnie (more than she is with Sooyoung) and likes spending time with her. With Sooyoung being the youngest in her family and Hyejoo being an only child in hers, the closest thing they both have to a big sister and a baby sister is each other. Honestly, Sooyoung would give Hyejoo anything she asks for.

 

Sooyoung reminds herself this as she withstands the slander from her supposed best friend and her favorite cousin (which she basically had no choice over because Hyejoo’s her only cousin).

 

“It’s weird but I hope it’s just that and not that she’s losing her game.” Jinsol continues, winces for effect.

 

“I can hear you two es talking about me.” Sooyoung finally speaks, bites into her ice cream aggressively.

 

“You got any pictures of this Jiwoo?” Hyejoo presses on, completely ignoring what she just said.

 

“Jinsol, don’t you dare.” Sooyoung warns.

 

“Jinsol, don’t you dare.” But she only repeats what she says mockingly and then laughs.

 

Sooyoung glares at Jinsol the whole while she finishes her cone because she does it too happily, clearly enjoying this.

 

“Eh, as if I would have pictures of Jiwoo. Your cousin would break my phone over my head if I tried to take some.” Jinsol finally says and shrugs which causes Hyejoo to gasp.

 

“Damn, ma, is it that serious?”

 

“Hyejoo, this is a verbal conversation.” Sooyoung points out, swats away Jinsol who’s now trying to get a off her cone. “I’m concerned now. Do you even leave your house these days?”

 

“I’m out right now!” Hyejoo frowns and puffs her cheeks out. “And who cares about that? It’s summer vacation and I don’t have to go anywhere. I have everything I need at home. Heejin and Hyunjin come by every day too.”

 

Jinsol’s ears perk up at that. “Just Heejin and Hyunjin? There aren’t other ladies?”

 

Sooyoung groans. “Ugh. Please, Jinsol, spare her. She’s a baby.”

 

“I am not!” Hyejoo stomps her feet on the concrete, nearly drops what’s left of her strawberry ice cream.

 

“So are you crushing on someone?” Jinsol asks, manages to sneak a couple of from the youngest’s cone.

 

“No!” She exclaims, waves her free hand frantically to deny the allegation.

 

“Told you.” Sooyoung deadpans, focuses on eating before Jinsol can try and steal from her again.

 

“Aww, don’t sweat it, baby wolf.” Jinsol caresses Hyejoo’s hair, shoots Sooyoung a playful look. “It’s cool because it’s not all fun. Look at your cousin here. She’s got it bad but she can’t act on it.”

 

“Why not?” Hyejoo asks, turns to Sooyoung who can’t decide if she wants to finish her ice cream or stuff what’s left in Jinsol’s mouth to shut her up.

 

“Unnie, why not?” She asks again.

 

“Because she’s leaving for London. That’s why.” Jinsol shrugs, gives her a sorry not sorry look.

 

“Oh, that’s still a thing?” Hyejoo sounds surprised.

 

“What do you mean that’s still a thing?” Sooyoung raises an eyebrow at her.

 

“It’s just that I haven’t heard you talk about it in a while so I thought you changed your mind.” Hyejoo shrugs.

 

It becomes silent for some time as the two of them finish their ice creams. But as soon as they finish, Hyejoo speaks her mind again.

 

“Tell me this though, what’s so great about London? I mean, it doesn’t have me or Jinsol unnie or… or Jiwoo.” Hyejoo smiles and wiggles her eyebrows at her.

 

Jinsol chuckles. “That’s what I’ve been telling her!”

 

“But honestly, unnie, I really don’t think auntie and uncle would mind. Gayoung unnie didn’t go abroad for uni and they’re okay with it. Also, you’re obviously their favorite kid - don’t tell unnie I said that. Anyway, they’ll let you do whatever so just stay here with us.” Hyejoo concludes.

 

Sooyoung takes a deep breath and smiles weakly at her, silently wishing that it could be that simple but it’s not. This plan had been set for a long time. It’s her dream and her family’s rooting for her to come through on it. Her application’s underway, too, with just a couple of things to follow. Hyejoo and Jinsol might be onto something but Sooyoung knows that this is what she has to do.

 

“I’ve wanted this for a long time, Hyejoo.” She lets out a breath, pats her on the back.

 

“Things you want can change. What if… what if it’s meant to be? You failing calc and meeting Jiwoo? That could be fate telling you not to go.” Hyejoo tries to argue.

 

Sooyoung blinks for a moment. No, that’s not it. She shakes her head to clear herself of such thoughts..

 

“I’ve thought about so much and there’s just a lot of reason for me to go.” Sooyoung says with finality.

 

Hyejoo nods slowly, like she accepts it, and she’s relieved for a second until she looks at her with those wide innocent eyes and asks. “Way more than there are reasons for you to stay?”

 

Jinsol quietly stares at her from Hyejoo’s other side, patiently waits for her answer too.

 

A sigh escapes Sooyoung. It would be easier if she doesn’t have to leave these people behind. Still, she’s made it this far and she isn’t going to stop now. She can’t stop now. Not when she has a lot to prove. So even if a part of her is starting to want to, it’s too late to back out.

 

 

Jinsol knows this and shows it when she gives her a side-hug. “Hey, we’ll still support you, whatever happens, Hasoo.”

 

 

Sooyoung smiles at her. “I know you guys will. Thanks.”

 

“It’s too bad about you and Jiwoo though.” Hyejoo says. Sooyoung laughs but does not have the heart to disagree.

 

&&

 

The first wave of bridge exams are over and Jiwoo is beyond relieved that she had survived with great marks, thanks to Sooyoung’s help. The older girl really makes a good study buddy. She explains things in a way that’s easy for Jiwoo to understand and challenges her to put in effort without the negative pressure. It’s elating how Sooyoung knows how to get her to give her best which shows that they have good chemistry. They’ve also set a good momentum for studying and meet almost every day now for it, something the younger Jiwoo would find unbelievable. Of course, a big part of it is only possible because she might be in love with the person she’s doing it with.

 

Love changes people or whatever. It’s crazy, Jiwoo thinks.

 

Today’s session ended late. They both had things to do beforehand which caused delays but it’s alright. It’s past eight now and Jiwoo’s fingers move rapidly as she types a text to Jungeun to let her know she’s done. She wants to be quick, in case Sooyoung’s about to leave (because she doesn’t want to miss her chance to bid her a proper goodbye). What she isn’t aware of is that Sooyoung’s gaze is on her.

 

“Someone’s coming to pick you up?” The older girl suddenly asks.

 

“You know?” Jiwoo looks up, feels the familiar beginnings of fluttery motions in her stomach.

 

“You’ve been on your phone for quite some time. Even when we were studying.” Sooyoung shrugs.

 

“Ah, sorry, unnie.” She says, embarrassed at her show of immaturity again but also giddy because Sooyoung noticed. “I just haven’t hanged out with this friend lately because of bridge and I’m excited to. She’s going to be studying here in the fall as well but… yeah.”

 

“Ah.” Sooyoung mumbles. She kicks the ground for a bit as if there’s something she wants to say but can’t. “Is she… is she just a friend?”

 

Jiwoo’s heart stops at that but starts beating again (and very quickly too) at the anxious puppy look on the older girl’s face.

 

“O-of course, she’s just a friend! And she has someone too so that’s totally out of the question.” She denies.

 

Sooyoung brightens visibly, chuckles nervously, and smiles. “I was just messing but okay.”

 

Jiwoo blushes, bites down on her lip and fidgets with her hands at that obvious lie. She doesn’t get to call out Sooyoung on it because Jungeun and her girlfriend arrive (that, and she didn’t have the balls to).

 

“Jiwoo-yah!” Jungeun calls, runs up the steps to get to her.

 

Jiwoo smiles as she approaches, hugs her when she’s close enough, and waves to her girlfriend who lags behind her. Jungeun tenses in her arms so suddenly and she has to pull away to follow her gaze.

 

Her face heats up. “That’s Sooyoung unnie. She’s my bridge study buddy.”

 

“Are you not going to introduce us?” Jungeun’s smile is knowing and scary. Jiwoo puffs her cheeks and glares at it. However, it has no effect on Jungeun.

 

“Fine. I’ll do it myself.” She takes a deep breath and opens . “Hi, there! I’m Jiwoo’s friend, Jungeun! And this is my girlfriend, Haseul!”

 

Jiwoo wants nothing more than for the ground to swallow her whole, seeing the look of shock on Sooyoung’s face. As if it wasn’t enough, Jungeun even adds. “Jiwoo wants to know if you want to grab dinner with us!”

 

And then Sooyoung starts walking down the steps and she loses it.

 

“I’m Sooyoung. Please don’t mind if I do that.” She steps to Jiwoo’s side and smiles at her friends politely.

 

Jungeun beams at Jiwoo but it looks more like an evil smile to her. She regrets ever telling her about her crush on Sooyoung.

 

“Great! Jiwoo’s told me about you.” Jungeun remains cheeky as she leads the way, hand in hand with Haseul.

 

“Only good things, I hope?” Sooyoung throws a cautious look at Jiwoo who can’t even breathe right now.

 

“Yeah, don’t worry. Only good things.” Jungeun assures her with a wink.

 

With another meaningful grin at Jiwoo, she and Haseul walk ahead again, allowing Sooyoung to comfortably fall in step with her.

 

“Your friend seems nice.” She comments.

 

“Unnie, you know you don’t have to do this, right? Jungeun is just being… Jungeun.” She says, embarrassed enough as it is.

 

But what Sooyoung says next knocks the humiliation right out of her.

 

“But what if I want to do this?” Sooyoung shoves her hands in her pockets, looks at her with a shy smile. “We don’t really get to hang out with no studying, y’ know?”

 

“Did you want us to hang out?” Jiwoo is so close to screaming.

 

“Did you not want to?” Sooyoung raises an eyebrow at her.

 

“No, I want to! It’s just that… I didn’t think you would want to.” Jiwoo admits.

 

“Of course, I do!” Sooyoung exclaims and then coughs into her hand. “I mean, you’re pretty cool.”

 

“I am?” Jiwoo couldn’t believe her ears but that doesn’t stop her heart from flying with the cool summer breeze and soaring into the night sky.

 

Sooyoung nods. Her smile is sincere as she looks into Jiwoo’s eyes. However, the moment is cut short when Jungeun turns to Sooyoung again.

 

“Tell us about yourself, Sooyoung unnie.”

 

“Oh, I’m a business major and I’m from Busan.” Sooyoung looks from Jiwoo to Jungeun, seemingly not prepared with the change in topic.

 

“Ooh, Busan. That’s quite far.” Haseul mutters, joining in.

 

“Yeah. Although, I’ve been in Seoul since high school.” Sooyoung stares harder at Haseul. “Pardon me but didn’t we have a class together before?”

 

“Not really? But I was the student assistant for ECON 101 and I think I might’ve seen you there?” Haseul says with a kind smile.

 

“I knew you looked familiar!” Sooyoung exclaims, now looking more comfortable.

 

Haseul nods. “Yeah, and I remember you asking Prof. Jung for a recommendation letter. How’s that going for you?”

 

Sooyoung shrugs. “It’s going. Submitted my application with a couple of things to follow. I got an unconditional grade on calc, you see. I’m taking remedials to get it removed.”

 

“Ah, that’s too bad.” Haseul shakes her once. “I hope that doesn’t hurt your chances. It’s for LSE, isn’t it?”

 

“Thanks. And yes, that’s the one.” Sooyoung receives the sympathy.

 

“Good luck.” Haseul smiles sincerely at her.

 

As the two older girls talk, Jungeun throws Jiwoo questioning looks which she shrugs at because even this is news to her. Application? LSE? What is going on?

 

They neared the restaurant and Jungeun pulls Haseul forward to give Jiwoo and Sooyoung some space.

 

“You’re transferring, huh?” Jiwoo starts, asks as casually as she can.

 

“Yeah. The reason why I was late today was because I had to finalize some documents for it.” Sooyoung says somewhat hesitantly.

 

“I see. So… LSE, huh? That’s… that’s great!” Jiwoo pushes down the strange feeling now bubbling in her stomach at the turn of events.

 

Sooyoung looks back at her, like she’s expecting something, so she continues talking even though she has no idea what she’s saying.

 

“That’ll make a good story one day! Next time I get a bridge taker buddy, I’ll tell them that my OG study buddy transferred to a top school abroad!”

 

“Hey, don’t even think about having a bridge taker buddy!” Jiwoo gets a glare and an elbow to the side but she’s not sure because she’s starting to feel numb.

 

“Seriously, Jiwoo, you should pass your classes. Don’t be like me and Jinsol.” Sooyoung laughs.

 

Jiwoo laughs too. Partly, over what the older girl said but, mostly, at herself for being delusional.

 

Sooyoung being nice to her does not mean she likes her too. Sooyoung asking her if Jungeun was just a friend to her does not mean that she’s checking for competition. Sooyoung asking her to hang out does not mean she wants to date her later on. There is no later on for them because later on is when Sooyoung will be in a faraway country, walking on cobblestone streets with a girl that’s more likely in her league than Jiwoo dreams she could ever be.

 

It’s sad and maybe Jiwoo should feel sad but she can’t. Right now, she can only laugh. Maybe she’s malfunctioning.

 

Sooyoung’s hand pats her head and she looks up at her.

 

“Let’s make plans to hang soon, alright?”

 

Jiwoo just smiles in reply because it’s all she can do, knowing that each step she takes closer to Sooyoung from now on will only hurt her later.

 

 

-------------------------------

A/N: Thank you so much for making it to the end. uwu. Please let me know what you think! Hit the comments section! :D