For A Long Time, I've Always Liked You

To The Moon And Back

A/N: Hello, beautiful people! First part of 2Jin is up. Have fun reading and please leave a comment! 

Word count: 3,298 words

-------------------------

 

It’s the first day of kindergarten two. Hyunjin is six years old and she has no idea why the boys in her class like hitting each other in the face with those inflatable toy swords. In truth, she doesn’t understand why all of her classmates like running around and playing roughly every end of recess. Since kindergarten one, she’s always preferred to just sit down on one corner of the classroom with a sheet of drawing paper and a handful of crayons.

 

Hyunjin looks around the room. Most of the classmates she had from kinder one are still here, save for that one girl who she used to trade juice boxes with. She sees that there are only two new kids in class this year. Two girls. One is apprehensively watching the group of girls playing tea party near the blackboard and one is... crying silently by the lockers?

 

Hyunjin stands up, gently calls out to their teacher for help but the young woman is too occupied trying to stop the boys from poking each other’s eyes out. Deciding to take matters into her own hands, Hyunjin picks up her half-finished drawing of Meongmeong (their family dog) and approaches the lonely child.

 

“Hey,” She stands in front of the crying girl who sits on the floor. “Why are you crying?”

 

The girl pays her no mind and just continues to cry.

 

“Are you sad because you miss your mommy?”

 

The kid keeps on crying. Hyunjin doesn’t let it faze her though.

 

“Are you sad because no one wants to play with you? I’ll play with you!”

 

Still, the kid doesn’t budge.

 

Hyunjin thinks of what she can do to make the girl stop and an idea comes to her. This one always works on her baby cousins when they’re upset so she takes a deep breath and lets out her best bark (and she really does feel proud of her barking because she spent a lot of time learning how to do it from Meongmeong).

 

It works like magic! The girl stops crying. She looks at Hyunjin and blinks back her tears.

 

“Bark bark bark bark! Bark!” Beaming, Hyunjin holds her hand out to the new girl.

 

“W-what?” The girl asks, confused.

 

“I just said in dog language that my name is Kim Hyunjin!” Her smile doesn’t waver and the girl can’t stop looking at her. “What’s your name?”

 

“S-Son Hyejoo...” She finally takes her hand and Hyunjin’s smile just grows bigger.

 

“Well, Hyejoo, I just drew this picture of my dog, Meongmeong, but I haven’t finished yet. I think I need help coloring his fur. Do you want to help?”

 

Hyejoo nods slowly and she pulls her up to stand, leads her to her corner where she left her crayons.

 

The rest of the day goes on like that. Hyunjin made sure that Hyejoo wouldn’t get sad and cry again. By the end of the class, Hyejoo’s sticking very close to her and Hyunjin declares them to be friends.

 

Hyunjin hadn’t noticed it then but the other new girl had been watching her and Hyejoo the whole time. As she and Hyejoo talk about which way their houses are, the other girl comes to them.

 

“Are you both going that way?” The other girl asks, points straight ahead to the main street.

 

Hyunjin looks at her from head to toe, takes note of the pink Sailor Moon backpack she has and the thick-rimmed eyeglasses sliding down the bridge of her little nose. She seems nice, Hyunjin thinks but she still looks to Hyejoo (who only looks back at her blankly) first before she nods to the girl.

 

“I’m going that way too! Can I tag along with you?” She flashes the two of them a shy smile.

 

Hyunjin looks at Hyejoo again and she gives her a small nod this time.

 

“Sure!” Hyunjin finally says. “I’m Hyunjin and she’s Hyejoo.”

 

“Mhmm. My name’s Heejin. Nice to meet you both.” As the shy smile from before transforms to a very bright and pretty one, Hyunjin doesn’t miss the way Heejin’s eyes sparkle like stars even with her thick glasses in the way.

 

Later, when Hyunjin gets home, she draws her two new friends.

 

&&

 

Years pass and Hyunjin outgrows pigtails and coloring books (she had started wearing her long hair down in 3rd grade and had bought her first sketchbook with her own money by 4th grade). Over the past summer alone, she’s lost most of her baby fat and has had a growth spurt. In fact, Heejin, who used to be the tallest among the three of them, now only stands up to her ears.

 

Speaking of, her friends did change a bit too. Hyejoo finally got tired of her bob cut and grew her hair out. Heejin got new glasses with a smaller frame and lenses that are a little less thick. On top of that, Hyunjin noticed that Hyejoo actually smiles at people in greeting nowadays instead of just standing awkwardly behind her and Heejin. And Heejin… well, Heejin’s still the same. Bright, warm, confident and caring.

 

Between Hyejoo who’s shy and chic and Heejin who’s friendly and out-going, Hyunjin isn’t sure how she fits in.

 

She hadn’t put that much thought into it when she was younger but now that she’s going into her teenage years, she wonders how the three of them even became friends in the first place when they’re all so different. But the past seven years proved to her that it’s not about having things in common. She’s not really sure what it’s about just yet but it’s alright because she doesn’t have to know. She just has to make sure to keep Heejin and Hyejoo close and treasure everything they have.

 

Time had passed so fast for them but everything remains vivid in her memories. Like, she could close her eyes and she can recall how exhilarating it was to pass notes to each other in class when their teacher is not looking. She laughs out loud at that one time they got caught and had to stand in the hallway with their arms above their heads. She remembers in detail the weekends they spent biking in the park (Heejin scratched her knee once and she and Hyejoo tried carrying her to the hospital but they only got as far as the convenience store so they decided to buy some cute band-aids and eat ice cream instead). And the rainy days, and some sunny days, they had spent playing videogames at Hyejoo’s house (Hyejoo’s house is always a fun experience because there’s so much to do and so much food to eat). With their differences, they’ve been through a lot together. There’s just no way they’ll be going through the rest without each other.

 

Hyunjin knows her friends feel the same. So when Heejin asks her how she feels about Hyejoo going to a different school for middle school all she says is “We’ll be alright.”

 

Heejin looks at her quietly with her eyes that always carry so much emotion.

 

“C’ mon, Heejin, Hyejoo’s new school is just right in front of ours!” Hyunjin tries to cheer her up. “We might not be in the same class or school as her anymore but she isn’t going far. We can still walk home together like always!”

 

“That’s true. But I’m still worried about her.” Heejin says.

 

“Hyejoo got braver since the first time we met. She won’t be crying in the back of the classroom anymore.” Hyunjin reasons.

 

“Yeah, any more than she’s gonna make friends.” Heejin points out.

 

“Are you worried that they won’t like her? That they’ll bully her?” Hyunjin asks.

 

Heejin nods slowly.

 

Heejin worries a lot about Hyejoo, Hyunjin noticed. She does too. Because Hyejoo is their youngest and even though she’s growing taller every day, she’s still like a baby.

 

Hyunjin’s not sure what to do but she doesn’t like seeing Heejin frown so she takes her hand in hers and squeezes it.

 

“I know someone in her school. I’ll ask them to keep an eye on her, okay?”

 

The uneasiness they feel disappears within a week. It’s after school on a Friday and the three of them are on their way to their favorite ice cream place. Hyejoo’s white and navy blue uniform stands out against Heejin and Hyunjin’s grey ones.

 

“Are the kids in your class nice?” Heejin is the one who brings up the topic.

 

“I already told you they’re okay, Heejin.” Hyejoo replies, looking at her with her usual bored gaze.

 

Hyunjin walks faster so she’s on Heejin’s other side. “Is Jaemin looking out for you? You know, I asked him to.”

 

“Uhh, yeah, I don’t know why you did but he’s alright, I guess.” Hyejoo answers, as she busies herself with her phone and walks ahead of them, probably letting her mom know of her whereabouts.

 

Heejin rounds on Hyunjin as soon as Hyejoo is far enough. “You asked a boy?”

 

“Well, Jaemin was the one who I know from that school and he’s actually in the same class with Hyejoo.” Hyunjin shrugs.

 

Heejin narrows her eyes at her.

 

“Boys are dangerous and not to be trusted.” Hyunjin feels something weird stirring in her chest at that look. “Where do you even know him from?”

 

“We’re neighbors and we play soccer together!”

 

“I’m telling you, Kim Hyunjin, boys are dangerous. Don’t hang around them too much.” The weird feeling grows a little stronger and she feels a tad bit lighter. Could Heejin be worried about her?

 

“But why?” She asks.

 

“Because my mom says so!” Heejin exclaims.

 

“If you’re worried that I might want Jaemin to be my boyfriend, you’re worrying about nothing.” Hyejoo speaks up so suddenly it catches them both by surprise. They didn’t even know she was still listening.

 

“He’s a good kid but I don’t like him that way.” Hyejoo continues, looks pointedly at Hyunjin as if she’s sorry to her.

 

“What boyfriend? Who said anything about boyfriends?” Heejin starts panicking. “We’re too young for love!”

 

Hyunjin feels too many emotions all at once - relief, disappointment, and a tinge of jealousy. Of course, Heejin’s reacting like this because it’s about Hyejoo. Cool and chic but naive, Hyejoo.

 

“Says the girl who already got two love letters from that boy in class 7-2.” Hyunjin mumbles before she can stop herself.

 

Heejin throws a glare at her and she laughs in response.

 

“You got two love letters already?” Hyejoo turns on Heejin, taken aback.

 

“She burned them so she can’t show you.” Hyunjin answers despite the hand wrapping around her neck.

 

“You better shut your mouth now, Kim Hyunjin!” Heejin hisses in her ear.

 

Hyunjin feels the hair on the back of her neck standing up, feels her heart beating really fast in her chest. She slowly removes Heejin’s hand from her neck and wraps them in her own. She likes to think it’s a wrist-lock to keep Heejin’s hands off of her but no, it’s not. Really.  

 

Hyejoo whistles to get their attention and points to the ice cream place just across from where they stand.

 

“Are we getting ice cream or not?” She asks.

 

Heejin huffs, pulls her hand free from her grasp and she watches her run to Hyejoo and link arms with her. Hyunjin bites her lips, confused at the unfamiliar emotions she’s feeling.

 

Just then, Hyejoo calls for her and she decides that Heejin is right. They’re still too young for love. She shouldn’t concern herself with that yet. And so Hyunjin catches up to her friends and they take the crosswalk together, laughing and talking without a care as they go.

 

Later that night, Hyunjin draws her two friends at the crosswalk. The image of Heejin running towards Hyejoo burned fresh in her memory like it happened five minutes prior instead of hours ago. She didn’t know why.

 

&&

 

Fortunately, not one of them gets a boyfriend. Not even Heejin (much to Hyunjin’s relief). Middle school had ended and they’re thrown right into high school. Hyejoo managed to convince her parents to send her to the same one Heejin and Hyunjin are going to. It wasn’t that hard because it’s a good school with graduates having a high acceptance rate in universities in Seoul. So, now, here they are.

 

Hyunjin’s gotten taller and weirder (she’ll never stop barking). Her sketches are continuously improving and she knows her way around a brush now. She thinks she wants to keep on pursuing art even in the future. That is if sports doesn’t get in the way. It wasn’t meant to happen, really, but she figured she could run fast, jump high, and aim good (unlike Heejin, she had clear eyesight). She might have gone a little too crazy over this discovery and signed up for three different teams (although she’s considering dropping basketball now).  

 

Hyejoo, on the other hand, has gotten prettier and cooler (how that was even possible, Hyunjin doesn’t know). Since the start of the school year, she’s had a lot of opportunity to socialize with more people after getting into the school’s track team (Hyunjin’s in it too and she can’t be more proud of Hyejoo who’s a really good runner. Everyone calls her Ace!) which is good because Hyunjin and Heejin worry about her less now. She still plays a lot of videogames but her choices became a bit mature (they hardly ever see her not playing League of Legends when they show up at her house).

 

As for Heejin, she’s gotten even brighter and prettier (like really, really, really, really). She got rid of her eyeglasses and switched to contact lenses. Personally, Hyunjin likes Heejin with glasses more but what can she do? Lenses are probably more convenient to use since she won’t have to worry about anything flying off her face and blurring her vision while she’s dancing and skipping and performing. Anyway, Heejin got into the drama club and had quickly became everyone’s favorite understudy.

 

Her progress in the club was amazing, recognized by both students and teachers. Hyunjin knows that in a year’s time, all everyone will be talking about is Jeon Heejin and how talented and beautiful she is and how they either want to be her or be with her .

 

Hyunjin’s known for a long time that she wants to be the latter. She just wasn’t sure about which reasons had more weight.

 

It all started when she found herself not being able to understand why she hated seeing the sight of boys and girls tripping over themselves to give Heejin gifts and letters and, more often than not, their hearts through their confessions. She knew straight away that she wasn’t jealous of Heejin. But it’s not until they started high school when she realized who she was truly jealous of - she was jealous of them.

 

She envied how they had the courage to just step in front of the most beautiful girl in the world and tell her how they feel about her as if they can ever deserve her. Hyunjin is mad perplexed at how they do it.

 

She’s known Heejin for a long time. Maybe if she doesn’t count Heejin’s parents and relatives and, well, Hyejoo, she can that say she’s known her the longest. From when Heejin was six up to now that she’s seventeen.

 

Hyunjin’s seen all sides of her. She’s seen her heartbroken and devastated when they buried her pet bunny, Heekki, when they were 8. She’s seen her cower under a blanket because of the horror movies Hyejoo enjoys making them watch during sleepovers. She’s seen her ecstatic with joy when all of their parents worked together to surprise them with tickets to a Girls’ Generation concert as a graduation gift.

 

Hyunjin knows her (and Heejin knows her too.) But all these people, they don’t. They don’t know anything about her.

 

They don’t know how she likes cookies and cream and hates mint chocolate chip with vengeance. They don’t know that her favorite character in Super Smash Bros is Kirby even though she can’t control him well and Hyejoo makes fun of her for it. They don’t know that she likes having her photos taken when she’s not looking but also gets really shy about it.

 

Hyunjin knows all of that and so much more so she doesn’t understand how these people can think that they can just confess to Heejin and expect to have their feelings returned. And that’s why she envies their courage (or is it foolishness?).

 

The thing is Hyunjin feels hopeless. She’s grown up some more since that time in middle school and now she understands. She likes Heejin more than a friend (for quite some time now, actually) and despite all these time they spent together, all these things they know about each other, there is still no way she’ll deserve her. Because Heejin is a confident girl and she knows what she wants and she gets what she wants. And Hyunjin is not that.

 

There’s a series of rhythmic knocking on her desk and Hyunjin looks up to see the very girl smiling softly at her.

 

“This one told me you don’t have track practice today.” Heejin raises her and Hyejoo’s intertwined hands and giggles delightfully. “So… you wanna help us pick out a present for my grandmother later? We can get tteokbokki after?”

 

Hyunjin blinks because even if there’s no track practice, she has soccer training to worry about. She doesn’t know how but what comes out of is “Yeah, sure.”

 

Heejin looks so happy that Hyunjin allows herself some time to be delusional and think that it’s because of her. She was the only one who was so distant lately, swamped with too many extracurricular commitments on top of her school work.

 

“Hey, can we go to that ice cream place too? We haven’t been there in a while.” Hyejoo says, looking at Hyunjin first and then at Heejin who was already beaming at her.

 

“Yeah, let’s do everything we can later!” Hyunjin answers. After she says that, Heejin’s smile at her is so warm she fears she might vaporize.

 

“Really, Hyun?” She has that hopeful look in her eyes too and Hyunjin can’t bear to let her down. She’ll beat up anyone who lets her down. Even herself.

 

Screw soccer practice. If she has to run around the field for an hour, wearing that ‘I’m a loser’ punishment jersey for what she’s about to, then she’ll do it without regrets.

 

“Of course! I’m all yours for the rest of the day.” She winks and even throws in some finger guns at Heejin to stop the next words from coming out.

 

I’m all yours for the rest of the week. For the rest of the month. For the rest of the year. For the rest of forever. I’ve always been just yours and I’ll always be a loser who loves you, Heejin.

 

It’s a relief that it only took a few seconds for those words to die in . It’s not like it would change anything but still, Hyunjin would rather that Heejin doesn’t know.

 

As Heejin and Hyejoo leave her to get something from the vending machines, Hyunjin picks up her pencil. This time, instead of drawing her two friends, she draws herself and Heejin with their fingers intertwined (much like how Heejin did, and probably still does, with Hyejoo). When she finishes, she gives herself five minutes to just stare at the drawing and fantasize and wish that things were different. Just five minutes. And then she rips it to shreds, tosses what’s left into a nearby trash can, and goes on like nothing happened. Like she hadn’t just destroyed her own dreams.