Last Flavour

Bitter and Sweet

Rushed.


Imagine waking up one morning realising that you’ve already fallen for a person who could never be the same for you. To her, he neither could fall or catch her. Because to her, his eyes were already set on this one girl. And that would never be her. But imagine if that person wasn’t just someone you like. Well, for her, it was her close friend, more particularly, her best guy friend. Someone who she cared, like he did but only in a platonic way. It : falling for someone who wouldn’t look at her the same she would with him. So, what did she do? She pivot her way away from him. So her stupid heart could stop falling and beating for him and finally, she would be able to limit herself by drilling into her head that this thing between her and him, will never be more than just friends.

But it was a lot harder than she thought and imagined it would be. She probably looked annoying and frustrating to him because… who would start avoiding someone who has never done anything to her but just did all the good things. To other people, it may seem as though it was for no reason. But to her, there was. There was a valid reason. In fact, perhaps that was the reason why… He was too good — so good that it pushed her to fall for him. How she hoped she wasn’t him. So then, stopping herself from falling would be easier, a whole lot easier.

No one would believe if she said that it wasn’t her intention to hurt him. But what could she do? It was the truth. She didn’t want to hurt him and she didn’t want to think that he hurt her just because her heart was beating for him and he couldn’t return that. That’s why she thought that it would be best for her to deal with this alone. So then, it was only her hurting. Not him. Not him because of her.

Days turned into weeks and she wouldn’t deny that she missed him. She missed him so much that she just wanted to go to him and apologise for even avoiding him, for even thinking that she could unlike him, that she could stop herself when she knew she couldn’t. But she knew best not to do that. She already thought of herself as pathetic enough that she didn’t want anyone else to look at her as one, moreover pity her.

So, she took Plan B on board. After the distance she built between him and her, she thought that, that would be enough to finally stop avoiding him. She wanted her best-friend back and she could only hope that he would still want her after what she did. If not, it would break her heart but that’s okay. At least, if he ever started hating her, if he started getting angry with her, then he would stay far from her and she wouldn’t even need to lift a finger in stopping herself from growing affection towards him. Because then, she would have no choice but to step away.

But contrary to her expectations, he wasn’t even angry. Upset, sure. Though that was only because he was so confused and lost from the reason why she was avoiding him. And she knew that. From the way he approached her that night at Chanyeol’s place, from the way he hugged her and asked her not to do that again. And no, she wouldn’t. Because even if they couldn’t be more than friends, perhaps staying in his life was more than enough and she could be contented with that.

Little did she realise though, that just as it was hard for her, it was also for him. That all her thoughts, the reason why she even started avoiding him was non-existent. She was protecting herself from a reason that she completely misunderstood. She felt stupid. A complete idiot. But no one could blame her for it, when all this time until now, the boys she liked rejected her and it was for the reasons she didn’t know what so she began to think that no one would really like her. It was that until he, her Byun Baekhyun, made her feel otherwise. Perhaps, those boys whom she liked before didn’t like her back because all her firsts would be reserved to this one guy— to this one guy who would appreciate all of her.

Baekhyun has his head on his girl’s lap, as she is sets up her new favourite drama on the TV. The intro of the drama is playing when she senses his gaze on her, making her look down. With a curious and intrigue look, she brushes his fringe up and asks, “What?”

“Thank you.” He says.

“For what?” She wonders.

“For liking me.” He answers sincerely.

The girl’s cheeks tint pink, feeling herself heat up with her boyfriend’s words. Not feeling that words will suffice, she bends over, leaning down to deeply kiss him on the cheeks. She lifts her head back but before he can ask to kiss him on the lips, she’s already at it, initiating their kiss on the lips for the very first time.

“Do you think this is okay for me to wear?” The girl asks, holding out her black, thin and fitted sport crop top with a hood hanging on a hanger to Baekhyun.

The male looks up, doing his shoelace and frowns. “You’re not wearing that...”

At that, she pouts.

Today, they are going hiking and because it’s the change of seasons, the sun is warm but the wind will be a little cool. With all the walking, she knows she will feel too hot wearing a hoodie and if she wears a t-shirt, not only she is uncomfortable with it, she will have to wear a jacket and being a girl sensitive to heat, she’ll sweat in no time. Along with the crop-top, she was planning to wear a thin windbreaker over it and black track pants with sneakers. But looks like she has to think again because her boyfriend won’t let her.

“Why?” She asks, just curious why he won’t let her.

“Because we’re hiking and that’s too much skin to show.” He reasons, walking close to her once he’s done with his shoes.

She looks at him through her eyelashes. “But it’s only the guys and the girls. It’s not like they are others.” She continues, “They’re your—” She corrects herself, “our friends.”

“Yes but,” He says, lifting her face up by the chin so she’ll look at him. “They are still guys. And there would be other people there. I just don’t want anyone seeing more than they should when they look at my girl.”

“I’ll zip up my windbreaker until all skin is covered.” She proposes, making him sigh. “Please, Baekhyun.”

He is looking at her with a serious gaze, really contemplating about it. He wonders why his girlfriend’s body needs to be so attractive. Now, he has to worry about preserving and protecting it from ert’s eyes.

After the long silence from his contemplation, the girl sighs defeatedly, deciding not to push it. After all, besides the fact that she doesn’t want to ruin the day for her and him, and everyone else too, she knows where he’s coming from. With a gaze that has slightly but temporarily dimmed from faded excitement, she looks at him and dismisses, “It’s okay. Don’t worry about it. I’ll just wear something —.”

“You can wear it.” He finally says, cutting her off.

“But…”

Knowing her, Baekhyun instantly knows what she’s thinking, he chuckles. “I’m there anyway. And besides, I’m sure you’ll look great in that.” He says, bobbing his head towards the crop top.

“Really?” The lights in her eyes comes back.

“Yes,” He confirms, nodding. “But you have to stay close to me, you can’—”

“Yes! Yes! Yes!” The girl cuts him, jumping to his arms in which Baekhyun is quick to catch. She has no plans of going that far away from Baekhyun anyway. Why will she when she’s got the best? Delighted, she kisses her boyfriend on the cheeks and quickly on the lips before running away, taking her crop top and track pants with her to change.

“Ah…” Baekhyun breathes, running his hand through his hair as he looks at his girl jog away towards the bathroom all the while he’s fondly shaking his head. She makes him so crazy, will she even know how much?

And before he forgets, he takes the girl’s jacket and gives it to her when she is done dressing up. He waits for her to finish and gives the apparel.

With a grateful smile, she takes the jacket and zips herself up and while Baekhyun is busy packing their bag, she puts on her hat and her shoes on. Upon turning, he sees that she is not wearing any makeup and it makes his heart thud a little faster and harder. God, she looks so much beautiful like this. It’s so natural and raw and he loves every bit of it.

With the smile her boyfriend is wearing, she looks at him a little confused. “What?”

“Nothing.” Baekhyun shrugs. “I’m just lucky.” He notes, and he’s not daft to not know that, that response of his will only confuse the girl more so, he diverts the subject and carries their bag. “Let’s go?”

The girl’s eyes glances at the time and widens just so slightly. “Yes, I think we should.”

“I’m going to Switzerland.” Shin announces as she takes a seat next to the girl.

The group has just finished hiking and while the boys are setting up the barbecue, the girls are setting up the table, Shin takes the one next to Baekhyun’s girlfriend as the latter is busy cutting up fruits.

Upon hearing the announcement, she turns to the lady with a shocked face that slowly turns to a betrayed look. “You’re going?” She asks, hurt.

Shin nods.

“Everyone knows?” She asks again, her heart trying to process the fact that her closest girl friend in the group is leaving.

At the start of the year, Shin has mentioned about her plans of studying abroad, finishing her studies there and preferably where her Dad is working and that is where she's exactly going. Whereas her relationship with her Mum is strangled, the way it is with her Dad is a little different. Her parents separated when she was 15 and ever since her father left for overseas, she never felt more disconnected with her mother whom she barely saw at home despite living under the same roof. Her older brother has his own family of three and migrated to London two years ago, but even that hasn't got anything much to say. It wasn't like she was close to him enough to confide with. Shin's Dad, despite being far away, has always managed to call and catch up with his daughter as much as he can. So, if Shin was asked, she'd rather stay with her Dad, whose presence is so familiar and conventional.

The girl knows that much. But despite being happy for her, it is a little painful to think that the reality of her leaving far away from her is now becoming a reality. She can't believe it.

Answering her question, Shin looks at the girl next to her and shakes her head as she says softly. “You're the first to know.”

Not knowing what to feel about that, realising its worthlessness of knowing as such, she heaves a deep and heavy sigh.

“I'm sorry.” Shin utters, remorseful.

Feeling herself at edge of crying, the girl stops what she’s doing and gets up, excusing herself. She runs over somewhere far, wanting to escape the stuffiness she's feeling. She has her head down as she jogs away, the back of her hand resting just above her upper lips that. All while, she doesn't notice that her boyfriend has his attention caught and the grin he's wearing as well as his bright countenance instantly dims — his gaze now showing worry. His eyes travel back from where she was sitting, trying to figure out what happened and there, she sees Shin with her head down.

Telling the guys that he'll be back in a bit, he follows the tracks where his girlfriend has run off to. In no time, he finds her despite the far distance she's run off to. His girl is there, leaning against the big rock, her arms crossed and head down. From the many times he's observed her, he knows she's crying, or at least, silently crying.

Not being able to see it longer, feeling his heart weaken, he takes a step forward and another and another until he’s standing close and in front of her.

Lifting her head up, she lowers it again upon realising it's her boyfriend. She doesn't want him to see her like this again. She's being a little, whiny and emotional girl. Surely nobody wants that.

But to Baekhyun, that is more and all he can ask for. He wants to see her vulnerability because he wants himself to be there for her at the times she is. He wants her to confide with him because as much as he wants to protect her happiness, he wants to fight the sadness that causes tears streaming out of his love’s life.

Wanting the girl to look at him, he cups her face and gently lifts it up so she's looking at him. His eyes are tender and caring the girl finds herself crying even more. “You're not okay…” He notes worriedly.

“Shin is leaving.” She sniffs. “She's moving far away from me.”

At that, it is enough for Baekhyun to deduce that Shin’s plans of going to Switzerland is happening. With a deep sigh, worried about his girlfriend, he takes her hands and pulls her up to hug her. He lets her cry on him, patting her head softly and he rubs his other hand on her back.

After a while, once she has calmed down, she looks up at her boyfriend with puffy and tired eyes. At once, she lets out, “I don’t like the people I care about leaving me.”

Baekhyun smiles softly and a comforting one at that. “Shin is coming back and I think you’re one of the reasons why she can’t not come back.”

“I’m sorry.” She says suddenly, with guilt.

“Why are you sorry?”

“You had to comfort me while I’m being like this.”

“Hey,” He starts, hugging her tighter. “It’s better with me than with someone else.” The girl smiles tightly. He kisses the top of her head. “You can confide with me anytime. I’ll always be here for you, my baby.”

The girl nods, understanding every word her boyfriend is saying, so she smiles, though small, genuinely.

“Want to go back where everyone else is?” He asks.

She shakes her head. “Can we stay here for a bit?”

A grin appears in Baekhyun’s face. “Of course.”

For the rest of the day, Baekhyun doesn't leave his girlfriend's side. He becomes the support she needs and though everyone notices the hint of lifelessness in her, they don't say anything and the boyfriend is glad for that. That night, like he had told and promised himself, he stays with her, getting a permission from the girl's mother in staying over.

By the time they got home, the house is already quiet and that is when they both know that her mother is sleeping. They head to her room, remaining as quiet as possible to not cause any disturbance.

Helping her to take off the jacket, Baekhyun tells her that she can go and shower first while he will wait outside. The girl gives a silent nod before heading to the wardrobe before going to the shower.

As she does so, he takes a good look around the girl's bedroom. He sees a few of their polaroid photos together that they took since they got together stuck on the wall, the bunny he bought her, her textbooks over the desk, and some printed photos with her family, mostly with her mother (he assumes that it must be her favourite ones), surrounded with fairy lights. Her room is the exact reflection of her pretty and serene personality.

After about fifteen minutes later, the girl steps out of the bathroom, meeting Baekhyun's eyes. The male smiles benignly before pulling her towards him by the hand, leaving a soft and tender kiss on the crown of her head as his one hand cups the side of her face. Then, they look at each other’s eyes and Baekhyun realises another reason why he has fallen in love with her. A reason that he has not become aware of until now and that is, how much she treasures and cherishes the people around her and how much she is showing that, not masking a bit of it just shows how pure she looks at the relationship she has with people. Her fragility, the absence of pretending to be strong, it’s another reason he loves of her.

As soon as Baekhyun finished and got dressed, he walks out of the bathroom area and finds his girl, sleeping, wrapped and warmed up with the comforter like a burrito. From what he can see, she must’ve rolled herself over the material. Standing so comfortably, he can’t help but smirk affectionately at his girlfriend, thinking just how adorable she is and if he will ever get enough of her. Probably not. He’s sure there’s no way.

Taking a deep breath to calm his fast beating heart, Baekhyun saunters over to his girl’s bed and lays himself down. Keeping her wrapped with the blanket, he carries her over his body and hugs her. Now that she lying over him, his lips rests over the top of her head while his one hand rubs her back in soft and soothing while the other holds her securely as he hears her breathe steadily.

It’s only been recently since they got together as a couple, and it really hasn’t been until lately when he is finally sure of what he wants to do in life and moreover, who he wants to spend it with. They are still young, they still have a long way to go, but Baekhyun wants to spend the future he has with this girl in his arms, just as she goes through her own future. As much as he wants her to be by his side, he will be there for as long as he can. She might not be the first girl he like, as per se but, she will be his last. And this is the promise Baekhyun makes to himself solemnly.

That night, the male falls to sleep thinking about the future he hopes to have with the girl he likes, or maybe loves, like no other.

The next morning, Baekhyun wakes up to an empty side of the bed. He sits up and looks around with squinted eyes and finds no hint of his girlfriend.

He carefully wanders out of her room and finds her quietly setting the table. With his heart at ease, now seeing his girl, he stops and leans sideways against the wall with his arms crossed. There, he fondly watches her do her thing until the second she looks up and finally realises his presence.

“You're up.” She smiles.

Baekhyun stands on his feet and walks over to her. Hugging her by the waist, their hips are together as their heads are slightly leaning back to look at each other's faces.

Looking at her countenance gingerly, he cups the side of her face. “How are you?” He asks tenderly. “Are you feeling better?”

She hums while nodding her head lightly. “I am.” Then she wraps her arms around his neck. “Thank you.”

He smiles and shakes his head. If he's asked, he'll do it over and over again. Just for her.

“I also gave Shin a call earlier.”

“How did it go?” He asks, genuinely curious.

“It went great. We're planning to have a two night sleepover soon. I want to make the most of our time before she leaves.”

“That's good.” He nods, kissing her forehead. He's proud of her.

Reminded of the food, she chirps, “Oh, Mum cooked breakfast and I added a few stuff so we have choices. Are you hungry?”

Baekhyun looks over the table before glancing back at her, nodding.

She giggles. “Let's eat.”

As they seat on the dining table, she can’t help but look at him and think how lucky she is to have a boyfriend like Baekhyun who cares enough to deal with how emotional she has been after coming to know about their friend’s departure.

Growing up, she has always been afraid of showing her emotions. She is the typically quiet girl, an extremely introverted girl at that, who would obviously be rather spending her time alone, deal with herself alone than be with people. But for some reason, that became an exception whenever there Baekhyun is around.

She, who always would rather be alone, finds herself yearning for Baekhyun’s presence. And though she would never ask him to be with her, he is glad that he was always there whenever she needed someone. From that she realises, that maybe it isn’t just someone she needs, maybe, it is him, his comforting presences that she will always feel serene and safe with. She is glad, not only because she has Baekhyun but because she is lucky, blessed and privileged enough to find someone like him. Looking back, she would’ve never thought. But then, apparently, she’s wrong. So, above returning the favour, she makes a promise to herself that she will be there for him for as long as he wants her in his life.

Driving to their University campus, the girl is reminded about the boys’ pub crawl of their faculty that was mentioned by Chanyeol yesterday. Baekhyun didn’t directly respond to it and she can only assume it must’ve been because of her. So, she turns to Baekhyun, putting away the notes she’s reading to prepare for her tutorial class to ask him about it.

“Are you going to your faculty’s pub crawl?” She asks.

“Probably not.”

The girl frowns a little bit. “Why not?” She asks again. “It’ll be the last pub crawl for you guys.”

“Are you okay with me going?” He returns the question.

“Of course, I am.” She answers straight away. She wonders why he thinks she won’t be.

“Will you be going with me?” He returns the question.

She hums and juts out her bottom lip as she shakes her head.

“That’s why.” He tells her softly.

“Baekhyun…” She calls. “You should go.”

“What about you?”

“I will be at home watching Jong Suk’s drama.” She answers grinning, visibly excited at the thought already.

Baekhyun pouts. “Can’t you come with us?”

“Mmm, no. You know going out isn’t really my thing.”

“Jong suk or me?”

Hearing the playfulness in his tone despite the suspicious glare, the girl decides to play along. “Jong suk.”

“Baby,” the boyfriend grumbles, making his girlfriend laugh.

“Of course, you, Baekhyun.” She tells him, jokes aside. “It’ll always be you.” She repeats. “But, I still won’t go. We spend too much time together already.”

“Is it really okay for me to go?” He asks, looking at her properly now that he has parked.

“Yep.” She chirps.

Baekhyun tries to search her eyes, just in case but then he sees nothing. He only sees the trust his girlfriend has for him in her eyes. So, he gives in. “I still want you there.”

“I know. I’ll let you know if my mind changes.” She smiles sincerely.

At that, Baekhyun hopes it will, even if it’s the last minute.

Time passing, Baekhyun is approaching the end of the last semester of his studies and thus, does his best for his final last shot before graduating. Being busy with the assignments, as well as the upcoming exams however, lets the male fall into sickness, worrying his girlfriend.

So, as soon as her classes finishes for the day, she rushes to her boyfriend’s place and finds him on the bed. He is wrapped with a thick blanket, looking a lot paler. Seeing the sight hurts her heart. She places her bag down, and bends over to take a closer look, the same time checking his temperature.

The motion wakes the male from slumber and with droopy eyes, he sees her favourite view.

“Hey.” He greets with hoarse voice.

“Hey.” She greets back. “You’re very sick.” She notes, unhappy and very worried about his temperature. She really wants to reprimand him but she knows now is not the time. Her boyfriend is very sick and nursing him is her top priority at the moment.

“I’m cold.” He says, urging the girl to wrap his warmly with the duvet. When there is nothing to do more with the blanket, she stands and walks away, to the wall where she can adjust the temperature of the room. Anticipating her to come back and be with him, his eyes widen, making him ask with urgency, “Where are you going?”

“I’m just getting you a cooling patch and the humidifier. I won’t be long.” She promises.

So, Baekhyun waits. The following four minutes felt the longest, to add the time (that is actually brief) of her putting the air humidifier in the perfect spot, plugging it and turning it on, so when she is back by his side, he weakly takes his arm out so he can pull her closer to him.

“Have you had some medicine?” She asks, putting the cool patch on his forehead after peeling out the plastic that covers the cool jell that is meant to come in contact with the skin.

He shakes his head. At that, she stands again to get the medicine he needs to take before she feeds him with the soup she bought earlier on the way. And with Baekhyun, not having enough energy to act quick and make her stay, is too late to hold her back. He waits again.

She returns to his room with a glass of water and the tablets he should take. She sits at the edge of his bed and places the glass and medicine over his side table. She then turns to Baekhyun and softly asks him to sit up, gently assisting him before taking the hot bowl of the soup she bought in her hands. She takes off the lid and with the spoon, she stirs it for a bit, blowing it to make it warm enough for him to take, without burning his tongue.

She tries a bit and when she is satisfied, she looks at him and catches his gaze on her. “Do you need anything?” She asks.

Baekhyun shakes his head.

“Okay,” says the girl. “Come, have some before you take those nasty tablets.” She smiles, joking a little bit in an attempt to lighten up and also, mask the worry inside for her boyfriend. “Here…”

Baekhyun sips a little of the soup from the spoon.

“Nice?”

“Yeah.” He answers breathlessly.

Satisfied, the girl grins, alleviating her uneasiness. She continues to feed him until he has finished at least half of what is in the ball. Then, she gives his medicine before assisting him to lie on his back again.

“You’ll be here, right?” Baekhyun asks, not wanting her to leave.

“I won’t leave you like this, Baekhyun. I’ll be here until you’re well.”

“What about after that?”

The girl frowns, not liking the insecurity creeping inside Baekhyun whenever he is sick. But at the same time, understanding him. “I’ll still be here.” She promises, holding his hand tightly. “I won’t ever leave you, Baekhyun.”

The male doesn’t say anything. Instead, he pulls her weakly, wanting her to lay next to him rather than her just sitting next to his bed. Not deciding to mess with his messy brain, the girl does what he wants as she cuddles him inside his arms. When he has snuggled into her, he whispers sincerely, “I love you.”

“I love you, Mr Byun Baekhyun.”

“You’ll be my Mrs Byun.” He claims despite his sick condition.

The girl smiles to herself, remembering that time when they were all out drinking and the boys were asking if they will ever get married. Baekhyun, who could never handle his liquor well, declares that his princess now will be his queen in the future because there will never be a woman whom he’ll love more than how he loves her now. Nevertheless, she agrees, “Yes, I’ll be your Mrs Byun.” Placing her soft lips on him, she tells him, “Take some sleep now. Sweet dreams.”

Baekhyun hums and soon, falls to dreamland, dreaming of the future life he hopes to have with the love of his life.


Author's Note:

Not satisfied. Rushed. Because I lost track of where I was going but I just wanted to finish this already. I really think this is an issue of mine where I start off my fics really well then end up really terrible with it. I need to fix this issue. Grrr. HAHAH