Fourth Flavour

Bitter and Sweet

Baekhyun, losing his confidence, realising that he is not ready for what the girl is about to say, cuts her off defeatedly. “No, don’t answer it.” He looks down, avoiding the girl’s gaze.

Hurt, the girl frowns and slams her back against the seat. “You’re being unfair, Baekhyun.” On the brink of tears, she gathers her bag and her phone, ready to get out of the car if not for the male stopping him.

“Hey,” He calls. She doesn’t turn but stops from what she’s doing. Neither does she moves away from his grip. Instead, she stares outside with her lips pressed together. “I’m sorry.” Baekhyun doesn’t plan to let her go tonight with her being upset towards him.

The girl glances at him. Seeing his apologetic eyes, she shift her body to face him, slowly taking off Baekhyun’s hand off her arm. “Why can’t I answer it?” She asks. “Why can’t I answer your question?”

There is a moment of silence that lingered between the two. Baekhyun takes a while to answer. “Because I like you.” He confesses.

She blinks. “What?”

The sincere gaze coming from Baekhyun intensifies, as at the same time, it oozes out of desperation and plead. He follows, “And I’m afraid that if you answer my question, it might not be the one I would love to hear.”

Registering everything that her friend had said, she frowns and tears her gaze away from the male and avoids his eyes. Her breathing is heavy and constricted. She swallows the big lump down before breaking, “You really are being unfair.” There is a long silence that lingers between them, neither wanting to say anything nor leave. It’s like no matter how thick the tension is between them, they choose to stay by each other’s side until a part or everything of it has subsided.

And even though Baekhyun doesn’t know what to think and do, he really doesn’t want her to go, with them like this. He just wishes she would say something. Even if it may be something that is undesirable on his part, he doesn’t care. He just wants to make things right, even if it meant that rejection is what he would get out of it. To him, she’s more important. And if she doesn’t like him in the same way he does with her, at least if she says something, he can save as much as there is that could be saved in their friendship. However, the words that comes out of after the long silence is nothing like what the male had expected.

“I’m still meeting Sehun tomorrow.” She says quietly, before finally looking at him.

Baekhyun’s feels his heart tighten painfully. There is hurt in is his eyes, but he tries to hide it. He hopes the girl would say more.

“And I’ll still see you tomorrow.” She smiles, but not as much as she would normally. “Please don’t say anything that you don’t mean in the future.”

“What?” Baekhyun is confused. Does she really think he’s not being genuine?

“I know how much you can get protective of the people you care about, and how much you want to keep them by your side. But don’t say —”

“I don’t think you get it.” He says darkly, so seriously that even the girl herself is intimidated by it. “I like you. I like you so much, you don’t understand.”

“But what about Shin?”

The expression on his face softens, though there is still a furrow in his brows. He tries to comprehend what the girl is trying to say. He fails. “What about Shin?” He returns.

“You still like her, don’t you? It never went away, did it? You’re just...”

At that moment, Baekhyun catches on. He hears all the insecurities rolling off the girl’s questions but above all, all her misconceptions. So there is a small smirk on his face, but nothing like mock, more of slight amusement or perhaps relief. Because finally, he doesn’t feel as helpless. Knowing this, he knows he can do something about it. “I…” He starts. “I like staying by your side as much as I can. I spend my mornings texting you as the first thing I do as soon as I wake up. I wait for your class to finish, and when I can, I walk you to them. You’re the last person I message at night, if we’re not already talking over the phone. The last person I think before I fall to sleep is you. I choose to sit next to you every time. You’re constantly on my mind. I bring you the food you’re craving. I make sure that the food you eat don’t have any shellfish in them. Or citrus, because I know you don’t like citrus that much, I try my best not to get you them with any of your food.

“I let you wear my jumpers and hoodies, I only take you for car rides, and I don’t let anyone on my bed or even them stepping on my bedroom. I take care of you all the time because I want to care and worry for you. I felt so uncomfortable, my heart was so heavy and a big part in me was empty when you were avoiding me. I never felt so insecure over someone, yet you still think it’s not you I like? You still think it’s Shin when my feelings for her is nothing so deep and so strong as to what I’m feeling for you now?” Cupping the side of her face, he asks, “What should I do then? What should I do so you understand and feel that my feelings for you has gone way beyond the boundaries of friendship?” He is looking at her eyes, locking it, not allowing her to look elsewhere. He wants her to feel everything he wants to send across. “What should I do so that you feel you are the most special person in my heart?”

The girl, being too speechless and overwhelmed to say anything, blinks as tears stream down her cheeks. She snuggles her face onto his hand, sniffing her favourite scent of his.

Baekhyun smiles softly, wiping his girl’s cheek dry. He now cups her face with both of his hands, “Hey,” He calls so she looks at him again. “I meant every word I said.”

Happy, being tears in joy, the girl cries out Baekhyun’s name, before leaning over to wrap his arms around his neck, hugging her so tight. “I like you too, Baekhyun. I like you so much.” All this time, she thought that the male only sees their relationship to be platonic, that her feelings for him was one-sided. She was so scared, she protected her barriers, to the point of thinking that the male’s special gestures for her was his kind nature while his simple gestures to others, to Shin specifically, was because he still had feelings for her. She’s wrong. She’s dead wrong. She’s so happy.

Because finally for once, she is loved the way she deserves. She is adored by the person who willingly does so.

Pulling back to look at the face he’ll never get enough of, he says, “Sorry I was a coward. But I didn’t know what you felt for me so I settled with the assurance of having you by my side, even if it meant we’re just going to be friends. I couldn’t lose you. But at the same time, I couldn’t lose you without trying. I couldn’t lose just by watching someone else take you away from me. I needed to be brave because you needed a brave man to be with you. I’m willing to be that. Just for you.” Finally he says, “I’ll be your brave man. I’ll be always by your side, sweetheart. Hm?”

The girl nods and hums, wiping her tears.

“Hey, stop crying now.” He says lightheartedly, wanting her to stop because he’ll never be fond of seeing her cry as much as he wants to be the person who will stop her all the time. “I don’t want Auntie to think that I made you cry.” He jokes, making her hit him on the chest so lightly, it barely did him any damage.

Baekhyun thinks, What was he worrying and fearing about all this long? Is this a dream? Or is he living his greatest dream with his one and only dream girl?

For all he knows, the latter is all of it. And he's not complaining.

“You’ve stopped crying, right?” Baekhyun asks over the phone. He is using his arm as his pillow, as he stares up the ceiling but his mind is filled of her. The girl hums. He hears some movement before he sighs, “You should’ve let me stayed later. I wanted to be sure you’re really okay.”

“I’m okay, though.” She speaks with a slightly strained voice. “I’m really okay.” She reassures. “Besides, it was getting late. It’s too dangerous to drive so late at night too. It was a long day.”

“You could’ve let me stay over.” He teases.

“I could’ve.” She agrees, giggling. “But I needed time to comprehend everything just then, Baekhyun. It was so overwhelming.”

“I did overwhelm you, didn’t I?”

She nods and Baekhyun can see that. He can feel it.

“I had to. I can’t let another day pass with you thinking that I just see you as friend and moreover that, have you thinking that I still like Shin when I don’t.”

“Sorry.” She apologises.

“Don’t say that. It’s okay.” He promises. “Where are you meeting Sehun tomorrow?”

There is a silence before she asks, “It’s okay?”

It’s not, really. He’s a man and from the times he’s seen him, he knows that Sehun guy is attracted and interested to the girl, who would like it? But after what happened, now that Baekhyun has let everything out that he needed to let out, he’s got nothing to lose. Besides, she has assured that she only sees Sehun as a friend and he trusts her. “It’s okay. Just don’t get too close to him.” He tells her.

She chuckles. “More protective than ever now, are we?”

“Of course. I need to protect and look out for my girl. She’s too pretty and attractive, all guys would turn their heads for you.”

“Stop it, Baekhyun.” She chastises. “And you’re not even my boyfriend yet.”

“But you are my girlfriend inside my head now.” He counters. “I’d love to ask you over the phone but I want to ask you personally more. So be ready tomorrow, sweety.”

“Aren’t we going too fast?”

“Too slow actually.” He answers as a matter of fact. “I’ve been waiting for this day for a long time, you know.”

“I would’ve never thought…” She says honestly. “I mean, I’m nothing alike of your type of girls.”

“I have a type of girl?” Baekhyun wonders. He doesn’t really think he has a type. All he knows is that his type is her.

“I don’t know…” She sighs in defeat. “I just…”

The girl is cut off when she hears him call his name. “I like you. Don’t forget that okay?”

“I won’t.” She promises.

“Should I drive you tomorrow? To wherever you’re meeting Sehun or do I pick you up?”

“Pick me up, please.” She answers politely. “We’ll go after class.”

“Okay, then.” He agrees. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“See you tomorrow, Baekhyun.”

Baekhyun, that night, after the call ended, sleeps tight with the sweetest dream.

The next morning, Baekhyun wakes up an hour and half earlier than usual, heading straight away to the girl’s house after taking a shower and dressing up. As expected, he arrives at the place, greeted by the girl’s mother. He bows politely, and explains his intentions for arriving so early.

Relieved and happy, the woman welcomes the guy in, and encourages him to feel at home like it is his. Before leaving for work however, she leaves a few words for the male, telling him how glad she is that he is the man that is pursuing her daughter. Thus, her blessing for their imminent relationship has been given. Further, she asks him to take care of her daughter well.

Finishing early from preparing a little breakfast in bed surprise, it gives Baekhyun some time to quietly enter her room and take the moment to admire her sleeping figure. There, he sits slowly on the edge of the bed and gets into a comfortable position to watch his girl sleep and breathe steadily. A little later, he hovers his curled index finger over her soft cheek, barely touching her but feeling that connection. A smile cannot be hidden from his face. God, she’s so beautiful, he doesn’t understand.

Not long after, the girl’s alarm goes off. Baekhyun quickly reaches for it and turns it off before it gets too irritating to hear, first thing in the morning. Then, he moves away slightly, giving her a lot more space than enough so she can stretch. With her arm brushing over him, she realises his presence. She opens her eyes and confusion takes over but above that, there is a smile on her face.

“Morning, little angel.” He greets sweetly, fixing her hair away from her face. It’s blocking his clear view of her countenance.

“Good morning, Baekhyun.” She greets back with her sleepy voice. Then, she sits up and looks around, surprised to see a tray of food placed over her desk, decorated and set out so beautifully. “What’s going on?”

“I’m here for you.” He says. “Couldn’t wait to see you.”

She smiles. “Why? So you can ask the most precious question?”

“Important.” He corrects. “But, yes. Before that,” He pauses and glances on the meal he made, “eat first. Hungry?”

A little embarrassed, she admits, “Yes. A bit.”

Chuckling, Baekhyun turns his head and stands up to bring the tray of food towards her. Carefully placing it over her bed, she crosses her legs.

Her eyes show sincere excitement, delighted to see what she’s about to eat for breakfast. Not to mention, there is also a bouquet of delicately made, handicraft soft-colour flowers. She picks it up and looks at the male. “You made this?”

“It was quite an effort but worth it.” He answers with a smile as he recalls the late nights and his free time that he used to learn how to make it just for her. It’s definitely worth it. “That doesn’t wither. It’ll be here forever.”

With an appreciative smile, she inspects the bouquet, amazed at how Baekhyun did it. Curious if it has any scent, she brings the flowers closer to her nose. Baekhyun’s perfume, his scent softly reaches her nose. It isn’t strong but not too faint either. It’s perfect.

“Now, if you miss me, you can just keep it close to you. It’ll be my mini substitute when I can’t be with you at that moment.”

“Baekhyun…” She calls and hearing a hum from him, she continues, “You’re too sweet. Are you even real?”

The male narrows his eyes at the girl. “Shouldn’t I be the one asking you that?” Brushing the tip of her nose with his pointing finger, he asks, “Are you even for real?”

“Baekhyun…” She whispers his name again in contentment, not really knowing what to say any more.

“Eat now, sweetheart.” He coaxes her. “We still have UNI. You,” he emphasises, “still have class at nine.”

“Oh, shoot.” She snaps, now remembering. “Yes, I do.” Focusing her attention on the food, she carefully places the bouquet down and grabs the fork. She takes a bite before looking at Baekhyun with the sweetest smile. She chews on the food and swallows before saying, “You’re a good cook.”

He chuckles. “Can’t disappoint now, can we?”

“Want some?” The girl offers, placing the fork just before his lips in a safe distance. “Eat with me, please?”

Damn, can he ever say no to her?

Finishing the breakfast meal, she wipes her lips with Baekhyun helping her to do so. They give each other a smile before Baekhyun finally lets out the question he’s been meaning to ask since the night before.

“Done?” He asks.

The girl hums, and puts down the warm cup of her hot chocolate.

Tentative, Baekhyun cautiously looks at her and as he receives an inquiring gaze, he asks, “I can ask you right now, right?”

She chuckles and shoots a response that calms down the male’s tensed nerves. “You can always ask me any time, Baekhyun. Provided you don’t stop me again from answering.”

“I won’t…” He whispers sincerely and reaches out to hold her hand. The hand that fits his perfectly. Locking her gaze, he asks with the most earnest eyes as he calls out her name. “Will you be my girlfriend?”

“No spaces between the words?” She asks.

“No.” He answers, a little breathy that it warms her heart so much.

“As in…”

“As in girlfriend-to-wife-until-we’re-both-old-and-wrinkly girlfriend.” He finishes for her with a sheepish smile.

There is a moment of silence, but not the awkward kind. It’s one where the girl just holds her breath before breaking into a giggle as she tells him. “Yes, Baekhyun. Yes. Who else if not-" At that moment she is pulled into a hug after her now boyfriend kisses her in the cheek. “you.” She finishes.

At that, Baekhyun hugs her tighter until they fall back on the pillows, nearly knocking off the cup that’s sitting on the tray. They are busy laughing in joy to notice as both are just completely in bliss on how things have turned out for either of them.

She is looking at his bright countenance, his eyes shining as he looks at her. And that’s when she decides to lean forward to kiss her boyfriend in the cheek, making the male crave for more. So, he leans in and kisses the girl gently on her lips. That marks their first kiss as a couple, or really, their first kiss ever.

“You’re mine now, baby.” Baekhyun claims in a whisper, only having his world to hear. “But I like it better because I’m yours.”

“Even if I can be a crazy girlfriend?” She teases.

“Then I can be crazier with you.” He throws back. Either of them doubts she’ll be a crazy girlfriend, but really, because Baekhyun is something more than just a friend, in fact, a boyfriend to her now, he is privileged with all the exclusive sides no one else gets to see of his girl. And he is so glad that he is that person because that makes him the only one who knows the girl best and more than anyone.

“But I think I need to get up and prepare for class.” She says, making the male reluctantly let go of her. “Don’t you have class today too?”

“I do.” Baekhyun answers. “But I’ll see you after you meet Sehun.” Then, he mutters, “That guy better behave himself.”

His girlfriend laughs. “I told you, he’s a nice guy. He won’t do anything funny.” She adds, “You guys might even be best-friends!” Now, the thought excites her. “He plays video games as much as you do, I think.”

Baekhyun narrows his eyes at his girl. “And how do you know this?”

“Because he’s my cousin’s friend!” She announces. “I’ve known him and met him before we realised we’re in the same class. Which works perfectly for me. Finally knowing someone in class, for a change.”

“There’s Shin.” He says, knowing how the two girls matched their timetable together so that they are in the same tutorials for the subject they are both enrolled in.

If the girl doesn’t know any better, she knows that this is Baekhyun being jealous over a guy for no reason. It’s cute, she thinks because then, she has a reason to keep reassuring him of her affections through her actions. But for now, she plays along, just poking more on her boyfriend’s sensitivity over her. “Yeah, but that’s because we made it that way. This one’s different.” She elaborates, “Neither of us knew and planned it. It’s a pleasant surprise.”

Seeing him pout, the girl breaks into a laughter. But she’s not mocking his feelings by all means. She just finds him really adorable. “He’s an amazing guy, Baekhyun. That’s for sure but he is nothing like you. And lucky for you…” She pauses, kissing the side of his lips, “you’re the one I like.”

And that is enough for the male to smile again. She’s right. He realises that no matter how hard he tries, there are always better guys than him. But if in his girl’s eyes, he’s the one she likes and that he’s the best then Baekhyun doesn’t mind being not the perfect guy. He just wants to be the right one for her.

And that is more than enough.

“You know what, I still can’t believe it.” The girl utters.

Currently, they are on their way to UNI. She is sitting next to her boyfriend at the passenger seat as he, of course, drives safely.

“Can’t believe what?” He asks.

“That you were scared of confessing to me.”

Upon hearing that, Baekhyun glances at his girl and smiles.

“I mean, you’re Byun Baekhyun and you’re a really charming guy. No one would say no to going out with you.” She points.

“That’s true.” He agrees. Not because he is cocky, or he thinks full of himself but rather because he is a person who knows his good points. Besides, he is not oblivious to the girls and guys liking him. He knows that. “But, what they think of me don’t matter as much as what you do of me.” He explains, “What and how you think of me is my top concern than the attraction some people have towards me.”

“What was stopping you then?”

“Losing you.” He answers, making the girl’s heart tighten. But in a good way. “I didn’t want to lose you just because I confessed. I wasn’t sure if you were ready for a relationship either and I don’t want to make things awkward for us.” Suddenly, he remembers the times the girl was avoiding him. The memory shivers him. He decides to erase that and focus on what he’s saying. “But for the past weeks, I knew I had to do something. I had to take that risk I’m fearing than letting you go just like that. Without me even trying.” And now that they are on this topic, it gives Baekhyun a chance to ask about the subject that’s entered his mind, “What about you then? Why did you avoid me?”

Given how her boyfriend has opened up, she thinks she should as well. “Because I was falling for you more everyday. And I thought that you’ll only ever see me as a friend and I didn’t want to fall for you more, knowing that you won’t ever like me the same way I thought you liked Shin.”

“With Shin,” He starts, with intentions to clear the girl’s mind “it was more infatuation than actual affection. The guys just made it seem deeper than it actually is. Probably because she’s the first girl I ever liked. But they saw how different it was for you. In fact, even Shin saw how much I liked you so much more. It was only you who didn’t see.”

“I’m sorry.” The girl apologises sincerely, now realising how much uneasiness she put up Baekhyun towards with.

“Don’t be. It’s okay.” It really is. “Because to me, this moment now, the ones that happened this morning and in the future, is worth way more than that.”

Parking to his usual bay, Baekhyun turns to her. “I like you more than you think I do, baby.” She smiles. “And thank you for giving me the chance to consciously show it to you.” Because Baekhyun is pretty sure that a lot of his actions and decisions that concerns her showed and spoke affection for her. She may have not realised it, given the misconceptions she had, but now, she knows.

The girl knows there is so much more to know of each other as they embark a new journey and chapters of their lives and though, she can only hope it’s the rest of her story, she will enjoy every moment that happens.

“Okay,” Chanyeol greets, instantly noticing the difference in them between today, now that they are seeing him, and yesterday or the days even before. The same with Raeen and Shin, knowing how strong their couple radar is. But they remain quiet for the time being and let the tall guy take over the interrogation. Grins on their faces though is so obvious, they look like an idiot but who cares? They are, as a matter of fact all of them, are happy for them. Took them long enough really, the most awaited couple of the squad. “Are you two together now? Like as in officially?” He asks the question with the most obvious answer as he points towards their intertwined fingers.

A little shy, with her cheeks burning up, she nods her head the same time Baekhyun confirms, “Yes.”

“Ugh, finally!” Jongdae groans, making everyone laugh.

“Baekhyun!” Raeen calls, dragging the last consonant letter out as she approaches the couple. “Finally! Took you such a long time. All of us were getting impatient.”

Shin joins, “She described it as the most frustrating but entertaining movie to watch.”

“I’m not wrong.” She defends herself.

“And I agree.”

“You guys…” Baekhyun mutters.

“But seriously though, I’m happy for the both of you. We all are.” Shin says on a serious note, jokes aside.

Truth to be told unsurprisingly, Baekhyun and his girl are, too


Author's Note:

The update came sooner than I, myself expected. Though, it's shorter than I wanted it to be, but it longer than the last chapter as promised. The next chapter is the final chapter. And I think that would be just kind of how their relationship is looking like. Not much, again but it's needed to finally finish this fic! If you ask me, it's practically finished but adding another one won't hurt, would it? Haha!

P.S: also, as I haven't proofread it yet, there will be errors. I'm just glad I finished this chapter now and I didn't drag it for too long.

The chapter is far from perfect, but if you're comfortable and you have time, let me know your thoughts?