Chapter 4: Plans

Iolite
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lunchtime couldn’t come soon enough for Soonyoung. He thankfully only has one class on Thursday morning. Although it’s simple and doesn’t require too much work in or out of class, it’s one of his least favorites to sit through. The teacher is bland and monotone, which is good for putting Soonyoung in a mood for a nap, not so much learning about the human brain. Psychology is, at best, a mildly interesting topic for him, but they happened to hire the one person that could make it the least engaging class he’s had in his life.

When the lecture is finally dismissed, Soonyoung hurries to the small court located nearly in the center of the school. It’s completely surrounded by buildings, but it’s large enough to house 10 or 15 tables and chairs, with even a few trees for shade. While the university Soonyoung is attending isn’t too large of a school as far as the number of students attending, most of them live on campus. This means most of the students just return to their dorm in between classes, so most of the time, the slightly hidden court is close to empty. It’s nearly summertime, so there’s a few more students more than normal when Soonyoung strolls onto the sidewalk.

While most of the tables are taken, he knows exactly which to walk towards. It’s the only table completely covered in shade, as well as hidden away in the corner. It’s a quick stride across the patch of grass before he’s back on a slab of concrete. He’s nearly up against the table before he notices Minghao already sitting on the opposite side.

“You’re here early?” He’s wearing a pair of dark, reflective sunglasses, but he doesn’t make a physical move to look up. He just shrugs his shoulders.

“Maybe my class got out early.”

“Or maybe you skipped?” Soonyoung sits down across from his friend, who’s happily munching on a burger. If he had time to get fast food, he definitely was not in class. Minghao only shrugs again.

Soonyoung met Minghao just over a year ago, in a first year history course, but it wasn’t until the second semester. He remembers Minghao showing up on the first day, because he sat directly in front of Soonyoung. There wasn’t much interaction between the two, except for when he accidentally kicked the back of Minghao’s chair. He turned around and gave Soonyoung a slightly disgusted look, which stuck with him much longer than he will admit.

Minghao didn’t show up for nearly a week after the first day. Soonyoung had wondered if he had dropped the class, but when he returned the following week, he was back. Soonyoung never gathered he courage to ask him why he was gone for so long, even after they became friends.

They sat together for the rest of the semester, and when they learned they had a solid hour of free time together in the middle of their Tuesdays, they ate together everyday. Whether Minghao decided to grace the history class with his presence or not, he was always sure to visit for lunch with Soonyoung.

Even after nearly a year of friendship, there is still very little that Soonyoung knows about him. Minghao moved from China for school, and when he first arrived, he barely spoke Korean, and definitely not fluently. At least, this is what he claims, but Soonyoung doesn’t quite believe him. It would be incredibly impressive for someone to be as fluent as Minghao in less than a year, but he swears it’s the truth.

He knows he’s a photography major, even though he’s never actually seen any of his work. He almost always has his camera on him, and has zero shame when they’re in public and he just has to get a shot. This took a while to for Soonyoung to get used to, as people tend to stare when they see someone doing the utmost to get a picture with a huge, expensive camera. Minghao has never cared.

Minghao keeps most of his life a secret: Soonyoung isn’t even sure if he has other friends besides him. They don’t hang out much outside of school, unless Minghao is giving him a ride or they’re going out to eat. Soonyoung wouldn’t mind spending more time with him, but he figures this is how Minghao likes it, so he doesn’t push it.

“What’s for lunch?” Minghao asked as he swallowed another bite.

“I didn’t bring anything. I completely spaced it.” Soonyoung can feel how hungry he is, and he knows that his next class is going to be impossible to sit through.

Minghao sighs and reaches down beside him. There’s the sound of a paper bag rustling, which lasts a few seconds while he struggles, before throwing another burger on the table. He doesn’t say anything, just takes another bite of his own burger and nods.

“I’m not going to eat your f-” Minghao’s head shoots up, mouth pausing. Soonyoung can’t see Minghao’s eyes behind the sunglasses, but knows the look he’s receiving isn’t pleasant. Minghao goes back to his own food before Soonyoung can thank him, grabbing the brightly wrapped sandwich in front of him.

Soonyoung has learned over time that, yes, Minghao can come off as rude, judging and intimidating to some, but he really isn’t any of the above. Even Soonyoung thought so when they first started  hanging out, but was quickly proven wrong. Minghao has always been there for Soonyoung, and he can tell he’s genuinely cared for by his friend. Minghao is just a man of few words, but his heart is pure.

The first bite of the burger is like heaven to Soonyoung, who quickly takes a few more. Minghao takes his last bite before wadding up the wrapper and throwing it in the bag beside him.

The two of them talk as Soonyoung finishes his food, touching on how they’ve been since they haven’t really seen each other in a couple of days.  As Soonyoung is finishing the last bite, their conversation is cut short.

“Soonyoung!” Both of them turn their heads to the center of the court, where Wonwoo was jogging up to them. Wonwoo almost never joined them for lunch, and Soonyoung’s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter