Chapter 3: Exhausted

Iolite
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next couple of days go by slowly for Soonyoung. With around two weeks left before his final exams, the days have started to become too repetitive for him. Wake up, go to class, eat lunch (if he’s lucky), and if he isn’t at work, he’s studying and vice versa. Throw in the (less than) needed hours of sleep and his schedule is packed full. It’s monotonous and ultimately, exhausting. He finds himself counting down the hours until it’s time to crawl back into bed, which seems to be getting later and later every day.

He doesn’t get to bed until nearly two in the morning the next night. The upside is he manages to completely finish the rough draft and even begin the final draft for his economics paper; the downside is that he wakes up nearly an hour after his alarm the next morning. Luckily for him, there’s one more bus to get him to the school in time for his 10 AM lecture, if he can manage to get ready and to the bus stop in 15 minutes.

His socks don’t match and his hair isn’t brushed, but he comes up the sidewalk just as the bus is arriving at the stop. He’s able to relax once he finds as seat towards the back, between an older woman with a couple of shopping bags and well-dressed business man who takes up a little more than his own seat. Soonyoung puts his earbuds in and turns on his current favorite album, catching up on some reading for school on the 25 minute ride.

The rest of his day is boring, but somehow, still mentally draining. He nearly falls asleep in his literature course and he can’t remember a single thing from his business lecture. Even when his break does roll around for lunch, he realizes it’s a Wednesday, which means he’s eating by himself. His only two friends are either in class or at work, so he decides to skip the lackluster cafeteria food and use his time wisely by getting ahead on some homework. Despite the best effort he can give, he doesn’t get anything done. He does, however, manage to make an entirely new playlist for his ride home as well as fill up his Amazon cart with things he can’t actually afford.

It’s another class; pre-calculus, and he’s miserable. They still have a lesson or two before they’re able to fully focus on the final, and he just isn’t sure his brain is able to take anymore abuse by the time it’s over. He’s thankful it’s the last hour and a half he has to stay at the school. Except, again, it’s Wednesday, which means he works directly after.

The ride home, with his newly made playlist, is the only solace he’s able to truly enjoy for most of the day.

The minute he walks into the jewelry store, he knows it’s going to be a nightmare, because his father is standing on the other side of the counter.

It not that Soonyoung doesn’t love his father; he’s a great and admirable man. He works hard for his family and is a genuinely kind person. There isn’t a broken relationship, Soonyoung is just far too tired to deal with all the questions he was going to be thrown.

He doesn’t see his father often, as he’s usually in a meeting or at the shop, so when they do get overlapping time, his dad just becomes...curious. Problem is, it’s always the same questions, every single time. Soonyoung doesn’t think he can keep up the act today.

His father is talking to a customer, discussing a few different rings he has set out on the glass. Thankfully, there’s nobody else in the shop, and Soonyoung is able to slip by both his father and the customer  to go into the bathroom.

While he’s allowed to wear jeans, it is required to wear a button up, at minimum. Thankfully, somehow, he had remembered to throw one into his bag before leaving the house, since he doesn’t have time to walk home and grab one before his shift starts. He doesn’t bother taking off his t-shirt, instead quickly throwing the nice, black button up on over it. A quick adjustment of the cuffs and a tuck into his jeans and he’s ready for work, in every way but mental.

He throws his backpack into the back room of the store before heading behind the counter, where his father now stands, completely alone. Soonyoung prepares himself for the onslaught of questions and demands he’s about to receive, as he greets his dad.

“You look tired.” Soonyoung refrains from rolling his eyes, and instead nods softly.

“Long day.”

“Oh, all you had to do was go to a couple classes. I heard you were late today.” Great.

“I wasn’t late. I made it to class on time.” His father’s expression doesn’t change.

“You can’t sleep so late, Soonyoung. It doesn’t look good to be late, or to not even brush your hair before leaving.” He reaches to ruffle Soonyoung’s mess of hair, but he ducks out of the way before he’s able.

“Sorry. Won’t let it happen again.” It’s probably a little short, but Soonyoung’s too tired to argue. Thankfully, his dad doesn’t say anything about his tone.

“How are your grades? Are you ready for your exams?” It’s a barrage of questions for the next 20 minutes, most of them relating to his classes and plans for the next two years. He mentions summer break once, only to ask if he’s still considering the summer course he had mentioned a few months back (Soonyoung says yes; but it’s a no).

Soonyoung is thankful for the customer that walks in. He throws all of his attention to the woman walking through the door, successfully getting his dad off his back while he helps her find a bracelet for her sister’s birthday. He takes his time explaining the few that fall into her price range, while watching his dad in his peripherals. He’s counting the safe, he’s taking some inventory and then wanders off to the back office while Soonyoung finishes ringing the woman up and boxing her jewelry.

By the time she’s leaving the store, his dad is headed in the same direction, briefcase in hand.

“Have a good night, Soonyoung. I’ll see you later.” Soonyoung waves sweetly to his dad. Once the door shuts, he sinks into the chair behind him and shuts his eyes. He truly just wants to nap right there in the small office chair, but his eyes shoot open at the sound of his phone chiming in his pocket. It’s a message from Wonwoo.

 

hey what are you doing pleasssse dont tell me youre at work

Unfortunately i am here

Suffering

ugh great :(

i was h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter