Chapter 1: Expensive

Iolite
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

With less than 15 minutes before the store closes, Soonyoung is ready to close up shop and head home. He contemplates closing the store down now, because it’s 9:45 on a Wednesday night and nobody in their small town is out shopping, especially for jewelry. Their building is one of the few that even have lights on, aside from a gas station at the end of the block and a liquor store across the street. It seemed unnecessary to be open so late. Soonyoung has seen maybe 20 people stroll in after nine in nearly 5 years of working there. He’s been told that the biggest reason they stay open so late is for safety reasons. Soonyoung still finds it completely unnecessary.

 

Having the store open this late does have a few advantages for Soonyoung: he’s able to sit quietly, unbothered for at least the last three hours of his shifts. He’s basically paid to sit in and make sure nobody steals anything. So while he doesn’t see a good reason to still be open, he doesn’t mind reaping the benefits and getting some school work done.

 

Soonyoung had been trying to work on his essay for his business management class, which doesn’t come easy for him. It’s nearly done, and he’s sure he could finish it by midnight if he persists. He also knows that isn’t going happen; more than likely, he’s going to get home and go to bed. He’s hoping to wake up in time to review for his eight a.m. test, but he’s positive that won’t happen, either.

 

He decides to give up, deciding to forget about school until eight a.m instead, and closes the laptop that is sitting on the class case of necklaces. He reaches below the counter and digs around for the store keys. He checks the clock, which tells him he still has ten minutes before he can officially lock the doors. He decides that now is better and makes his way around the counter.

 

As he strolls to the door, the keys slip from his hands, and he curses as he stops to pick them up. Two more steps to the door, he quickly reaches for the handle, but before he can touch it, it’s ripped out from in front of him.

 

The small bell over the door rings, and Soonyoung realizes the door is wide open, and there’s a figure in the doorway.

 

Of course, Soonyoung thinks. He’s slightly upset his plan is ruined, but his mind is slightly changed almost immediately after looking at the person interrupting his night.

 

The man stands a few inches shorter than him, but he’s definitely older than Soonyoung. There isn’t any physical giveaways: he looked very young, maybe even younger than Soonyoung, but something about his expression and his gaze made it known that wasn’t the case. He seemed...professional. It’s the only word Soonyoung is able to think of to describe him.

 

He’s wearing a mid-thigh length, grey coat that seemed a bit too heavy for the weather. It’s nearly June, but he’s dressed for early spring. Soonyoung can see the thin black tie poking through the front of the jacket, on top of a basic white button up. Though one hand is in his pocket, the other his holding the door open. It’s covered by a black, leather glove. Nice dress pants, nice shoes… Soonyoung thinks of another word to describe him.

 

Expensive.

 

Soonyoung is brought back by the man finally speaking.

 

“Are you closed?” Their eyes meet, and Soonyoung hesitates. He has a very serious look about him. His eyes are slightly hidden by his black, shiny hair, but his gaze is burning and Soonyoung can only look away awkwardly.

 

“Um, no. We actually close in 10 minutes.” Soonyoung tries to hide the keys behind him, but they make enough noise that it grabs the man’s attention. Soonyoung inhales, ready to be questioned as to why he was trying to close down before they’re supposed to be, but the man seems to relax at the news.

 

“Would you be willing to help me out?” The man doesn’t sound rude, exactly, but his voice is stern and he’s very to the point. He stands silently, waiting for Soonyoung’s response, as if it’s going to be anything other than a yes. Soonyoung wouldn’t be able to say no, even though he really, really wants to turn him away. Although he doesn’t have a good reason to dislike this stranger, he did ruin his plans of going to bed early.

 

“Yeah, come on in.” Soonyoung tries his best to hide the disdain in his voice. He rounds back around the counter, moving his laptop onto the chair behind him. When he looks back, the door is swinging shut with another ring of the bell. The shorter man carries himself so elegantly and effortlessly that it nearly takes Soonyoung by surprise. The man holds himself confidently and this is the second time that Soonyoung feels his heart race and his stomach drop. Why am I so nervous? “W-What can I help you with?” he stutters.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter