Chapter 5 - Fall Harder

Better Half
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 5 – Fall Harder

JIYEON POV

My eyes lit up, and I could tell that a million new ideas circling into my head as I get started with my draft, I had something amazing in my mind and I think I will be able to finish my project early as it could be, then suddenly my phone vibrated and saw Eunjung’s name on my screen. The smile automatically plastered on my face.

“Ham?” I answered,

“I didn’t expect for you to answer since it’s already late,”

I pouted, she texted me earlier to wait for her, to send her goodnight personally but then again she isn’t expecting me to answer her call?

“You didn’t expect? But you did ask me to wait for you earlier.” I said with a displease tone in my voice, I heard her chuckle a little.

“I am in front of your house.” She suddenly said, I pulled back as I immediately open the window, “I didn’t expect you to be here” I said while looking at her, though she was really far, I am still amaze how she can be beautiful and handsome all in the same sense in one look.

“because I presumed that you are really expecting me tonight.” She said and a silly grin to be heard from , before I could response she comtinue, “Can you go down? It is really freezing here”

I nodded and made an okay sign at her before I close the window and the curtain, I run towards my washroom as I checked if I still have my lip tint on, and looked at myself in the mirror calming myself a little that she couldn’t notice how excited I can be to meet her. I breath in and out for some reason I felt a little nervous.

I slowly go downstairs, not wanting to sound anything while going out. I don’t want to disturbed anyone since it is already late. I pulled out the knob carefully as I walk out the house completely. I run towards the gate and open It a little, enough for me to slip out. As soon as I go out, I run towards to Eunjung as both of her hands were wide open for an sweet embrace waiting for me. How can I possibly miss her so much?

It is still very warm and comforting feeling that I can’t get enough of it. She held the back of my hair and caressed it a little. “I just saw you earlier but how can I miss you so much?”

I felt the heat rise into my cheeks, Eunjung has it ways on how to melt my hearts a dozen times in just one paragraph she would say to me. she grinned and I snapped my head away, knowing that if I continued to stare I would get lost in her big black eyes. I could feel her eyes still on me, I silently inhaled and exhaled, hoping that she wouldn’t notice how nervous I am in her gazed.

We walk hand in hand as the wind blows into our body, She held my hand and put it inside her jacket pocket. It is such a sweet gesture that makes me feel warmer. “Where are you taking me this midnight?” I ask her with a tease.

I saw her smile on the dark alley we are passing inside our subdivision. “You are my vitamin, don’t you know?”

“Since when?”

“Since the day I laid my eyes on you.”

I pat her shoulder and smiled. “How?” I ask my brows furrow and her hands tighten her grip slightly.

“How can I supposed to answer that question Ji?” She exclaimed looking at me wide-eye. I let out a little chuckle as we continue to walk until we reach the second street where we can go back at my house. I didn’t respond as I savoring the moment that I can watched her face.

“but seriously, I don’t want you to get drunk without me.” She said as she met my gazed with a silly grin. I slap her shoulder again, slack-jawed. Though I don’t want to push the subject, I am curious on how she thought of me that time. “Hyomin was right, it was you” I grimaced.

She nodded and the smile still plastered on her face. “You kiss a lot and you are really playing with my cheeks. You were really funny but cute”

I didn’t respond, It takes a second or two for the new information to sink it, She saw the shock registered on my face before I could hide it, A small smile played on her lips, then a sudden flashback played on my mind. I kiss her, yeah. A lot of times. She just sat, she didn’t even held me, she just let me kiss her without her responding to it. All I can hear is my voice keep on calling him handsome but all she did was giving me an awkward smile.

I pulled back on what I remember, She just stared at my open mouthed, I closed it. I was shocked and I can’t find the words to say anything.

We stop from walking as we reach my house again, I didn’t know that being with Eunjung can be this fast and brief. she sighed as she removed her hands on me. “If it is really embarrassing for you to remember, just forget it.”

“I was really glad it was you after all” I said reservedly.

 

She held my chin to glanced back at her, and gave me a sweet and simple peck of kiss right into my lips. I closed my eyes and savor the moment until she pulled out. Her forehead rested into mine, “see you tomorrow?” I said, low and a little husky.

 

She open her eyes and hug me a little, “I won’t be able to check on you at school. I have a lot of things to do tomorrow, but I will see you at night. Okay?”

I wanted to demand more of her time but I don’t want to be labeled as a demanding one, though our time was really short, brief and craving more of her but it was one of the best moment that we have.

 

SOYEON POV

 

The cold onshore breeze blew right through my sweater, It would be a cold moonless night, The sky was dark and low, The air so chilled it hurt to breath, I hug both of my arms as I jog myself back and forth in front of Eunjung’s house. “So cold.”

 

I couldn’t find myself to sleep and my feet just brought me here. I couldn’t ever imagine what my mother did to Eunjung, on how she manage to do that behind my back, I was curious how Eunjung reacted, I knew that Eunjung was strong but I knew that its her weakness.

 

“Soyeon?”

 

Then I almost jumped off my feet in surprise to her sudden appearance in front of me. “Since when you were there?” I grimace.

 

Her tiny small lips formed into a smile. “Enough to see you getting frozen in the cold night”

 

I looked at her in horror. “You are funny”

 

She smile widely and held my both shoulder as we both walk inside her house. “What brings you here? It’s almost 12! Your mother will be worried about you”

 

“No worries, she is out of town for a business trip till Monday” I nonchalantly said but I saw her worried face relax a bit, how could I didn’t notice it before?

 

As soon as we enter the doorway of her house, she walk towards the kitchen and gave me hot coffee that she can prepare in an instant to cover the coldness I have felt in  my body just a while ago. I sit on the sofa in the living room as I watched her move.

 

EUNJUNG POV

 

I notice how Soyeon watched me the whole time, her shoulder were slumped and her eyes cast down in a mournful gaze. There are tiny dark circles and bawled eyes visible to her eyes. I know she have been crying the whole day. I don’t want to ask nor to push any topic about what’s happening with her because I totally knew what could be something wrong with her. Soyeon was always like this since middle school she will run unto me or Boram whenever her mother will let her do something she didn’t want to but ended up doing it anyway because we pushed her to do so.

 

This time, I will not say anything nor discuss anything about her mother, Soyeon became a mature and smart woman. I know all she needed by now is someone who she can’t feel she is alone, because I was like that too. I let her lay on my knees and her right hand rested on her forehead enough to cover the tears coming out from her eyes.

 

She sighed before she sit down next to me, removing the tiny droplets of tears in her eyes. She fake a smile,

 

“Where have you been Eunjung? Why are you coming on so late?” She asked,

 

I smiled as I remember Jiyeon, her scent, touch and everything about her is simply adorable. I couldn’t even get to respond as she cup my cheeks and widely looked at me in an awe. “Who gave you this smile?”

 

My brows furrows, as she continue to looked at me suspiciously. “What are you trying to hide from me, Eunjung?”

 

I didn’t know what to say, It is not that I don’t want to tell her about Jiyeon, but I don’t want to rush Jiyeon to talk about our so called relationship with our friends because she might feel uncomfortable about it, I remove Soyeon hands gently into my cheeks and squeeze it. “You always giving me this silly smile on my face whenever you are acting up so strong”

 

She slumped her shoulder down again and sigh. “You surely know how to change the subject in a snap, Ham Eunjung” She firmly said.

 

And I couldn’t say anything more, right there I knew she knew something that I had hide it from her. I put my arms into her shoulder, “I have to”

 

Her eyes showed the kind of gentle concern from a family that I used to have, She laid her hands lightly on my shoulder and she spoke with such a soft  voice, “We are a real family Eunjung, don’t make any decision without us knowing”

 

That hit me so hard, how could I not consider my actions, now that I could see how profoundly they affected her too. I am not a robot nor a insensitive human being, I have feelings too, though I tried to show them how strong I was, her words break me down.

 

She held my chin to face her, and removed the droplets tears forming into my eyes. I saw her smile a little, “It’s been a while seeing Eunjung to be this emotional”

 

She pulled me into a hug as I let her hugs drawn me into a sweet comfort from a family.

 

--------

 

I’ve been waiting for the morning for so long that I barely believe my eyes when the sharp shadows cast by the street lamps start to fade, diluted by the onset of daylight. Then a chorus of birds twirling above the sky. It’s been a long time since I felt this satisfied and happy waking up for another day. I rush to go to the bathroom for a quick wash as I am preparing myself for my early part time work.

 

“Ah you scared me!” I suddenly exclaimed when I saw Qri slouching on the couch, “When did you come here and how do you know my password?” I ask her irritably as I made my way to my room, “You have been busy for the past few days, I am checking you out. I thought you already died” She said raising her voice for me to hear her from the room.

 

I smiled, “since you already done checking me out, you can leave now. As you know I will be busy the whole day Q.”

She walk inside my room and slumped herself on my bed, I looked at her in disbelief but I just let her do it. I know how hard headed she is. “I think you and Jiyeon are really getting along so well.”

 

I looked at her in an awe I couldn’t believe that Qri could be this sharp, I saw her smirked and sat down to the edge of my bed. “You should at least open this up with me,”

 

“It’s not that I am secretive, I just think of Jiyeon, She might find it uncomfortable talking about us with her friends, considering you and her sister are best friends” I said, while I am getting ready.

 

She sighed, “You know me, I don’t have a big mouth”

 

“I don’t really know Qri, to be honest. I really do like her, it’s overwhelming and comforting. I never felt something like this when I am with her”

 

“Then what are your doubts?”

 

I arched my eyebrow as I threw her with a question looked, She grin. “You looked relax when we are talking about Jiyeon, but you can’t hide the fact that you are anxious, and I am not sure what it is about”

 

I sighed and sat beside her, “I do have a feeling that Jiyeon doesn’t deserve me. She is too much for me Qri.”

 

My anxiety sits below my smile. I am happy and pleased with Jiyeon, no doubt that I really do like her, but I can’t just  hide the fact that we are belong to a different kind of world, we never had talk about it since we were just together for a week and nothing more serious happened between us yet, but Jiyeon already giving me this kind of feelings that I don’t want to let her go, but it scares me.

 

I can’t even take care of myself, how can I start something with her?

 

Qri pat my shoulder a little too harsh pulling out into my thoughts. “All you have to learned is to stop yourself from too much thinking Eunjung, you are not going anywhere with that kind of attitude.”

 

“Should I stop?”

 

“We have already talk about this and if you weren’t still convinced, you might want to ask her yourself and figure it out. Jiyeon really do like you, because if she didn’t, you two would not get this far.” Qri sincerely said while looking at me.

 

I used to think that my friends were the people that you could laugh and talk to. Now I know that friends aren’t that, they’re the people that touch my hearts, they could give me courage that I couldn’t even bring to myself. And Qri is one of the real friends I rarely have.

 

 

Jiyeon POV

 

As the usual, the time I spent at school passed really slow knowing that Eunjung will not be around the campus and I will be heading directly at her place tonight and I couldn’t be any more excited to be with her again, I keep on checking my phone just in any case she will drop some message but into my dismay, she didn’t. Eunjung isn’t really the type of being too clingy and sweet. She has a different level of being sweet and she has the power to get me head over heels.

 

I didn’t think much about what or to where are relationship going, All I know that whenever I am spending time with her makes me feel safe and warm that I never felt to anyone, She is the very first person that I am confident to be with, and I didn’t want to overthink myself too much as long as I know that I am happy when I am with her. That’s all it ever matters.

 

I looked at the clock ticking and the boredom strikes, There I am tapping my school desk repetitively with the end of my ballpen, staring out of the window absentmindedly. I feel so much boring and I am kind of missing her a lot.

 

“two weeks ago, you were spacing out with a frown but looking at you now, you are spacing out but kind of feel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter