The Enemy Returns

My Best Ex-Friend

"So you stabbed your throat with a fork?"

I shook my head, tired of explaining. I don't know how many times I have to repeat this to Jin for him to get it. It's simple really. I had the utensil in my mouth then I remembered that I needed my phone which was in my room. While running back into my room I fell, with the fork still in my mouth and...

I shuddered from the memory. Luckily, I survived with only a sour throat as a reminder.

"You're dangerously clumsy you know."

"You don't have to tell me that. I'm quite aware."

He topped the cup of ice-cream off with a cherry before setting it on the counter in front of me. "Seriously though I think you should consider getting one of those Life Alerts" he chuckled at his own joke

All I could do was roll my eyes before I continued my rant. "And to make my week even worse, Karen just moved out."

"Your friend?"

I nodded and stuffed a spoonful of ice cream into my mouth, legs swinging back and forth under the bar stool like the child I really am.

"She got a new job on the other side of town and had to move but that means now I have to figure out a way to pay my rent myself. And what if I get hurt again? I'm not even safe around my own silverware. I could DIE. Alone in my house. And nobody would come looking for me."

"Then why not find another roommate? Just put up a flyer, Leah. It's a college town. There are plenty of people in this town in need of a roommate. Just look around this café and you'll probably find someone." Jin stopped chopping up a pineapple he was adding to the blender and used his knife to point at the customers around the café.

"Look at all those young people. There's that girl, and that guy and that other girl and that fellow standing up-"

His knife stopped moving at the last person he pointed to and I slowly turned my gaze to the person that froze his. And I truly wish I had never glanced over my shoulder because there striding up to the counter was the one person in the world whose face I wish I never had to see again.

My rival.

The very bane of my existence.

 

"Jin! " the young man waved too happily it was almost comical.

He was getting closer and closer. Too close for comfort. Each step echoing in my head like a countdown.

He came to a stop at the bar and by some unwanted instinct, I could sense that his curious gaze was locked onto me. I did my best to bury my face like an ostrich behind the counter, but it was a futile effort. He knew me too well. The color of my hair, the same sneakers I always wore, and of course my favorite ice cream in the bowl in front of me. It was too easy.

"Leah? Is that you?"

He's the only person I could say I truly hated. And he's also my ex-boyfriend

Kim Taehyung.