Curious

My Best Ex-Friend

Are you sure you don’t still have feelings for this guy?

Karen’s voice echoed in my head as I stared back at Taehyung. He was slumped across the couch, laughing loudly at the TV while sipping on the coke cradled in his elbow.

Definitely not.

It hadn’t even been a week since this guy’s been here, and he’s already gotten super comfortable. He’s not even a little uneasy living in the same house as me. Which I’m not sure if I’m offended or not. I mean, I was technically his ex-girlfriend, does that not faze him at all? In fact, he’s been acting like we’ve still been friends this whole time.

I, on the other hand, have been carefully observing him. Trying to figure out what’s going on in his head. His day-to-day schedule seemed pretty simple: he woke up at eight, ate breakfast then left for who-knows-where until the evening. Once he got back he was usually just in his room or lounging on the couch. As for his attitude, for the most part, he was almost exactly like I remembered him- laidback, talkative, friendly. But there was something slightly different about him that I couldn’t quite pinpoint. I guess he was…more mature. But that’s understandable. We’ve both gotten older

A flash went off and I scowled back at Taehyung who held his phone up to me. “You really need to see how bad your posture is. Look, you only need a bell tower to get your own Disney movie.” He chuckled as he showed me my picture.

 I straightened my back, closed the computer, and ex-ed out ‘more mature’ in my mental observations.

“Shouldn’t I be able to sit how I want in my own house? I’m typing up something for work so I’m a little busy.” (Yes, I have a job)

“I’m just saying you’ll have back problems in the future. But, if you’re working on something important should I turn the TV down a little?”

If I wanted to get some work done I’d be in my room. But to be honest, I was only out here to observe him a little better. Ok, I know that’s weird but it’s a necessary evil.

“No, it’s fine. I’m pretty much done anyway. And you should know that I’m leaving early in the morning tomorrow and I won’t be back until Friday for my monthly trip to the Main Office.” I point back to the rules. “First rule, Second rule, and Fourth rule. No eating my food, especially the ice-cream, No going into my room and no inviting friends over when I’m not here. Alright? That’s two days that you’ll be alone here. ”

“I don’t even have time to break any rules. I have a gig this week, so I’ll be busy prepping for that.”

A gig? He still played in a band? My mind flooded with who, where, when questions. But I reeled back and caught myself. That would be nosy of me and would be overstepping my boundaries. This is a roommate relationship. Strictly business. So, I just nodded and left it at that.

Or so I thought. But the next morning as I zoomed down the winding roads in my little car, I flicked on the radio and my mind drifted back to the thought of his band, wondering what kind of music he played. Is it the same as before?

No, I quickly shook the thought out my head. It’s none of my business what he does.

But even when I reached headquarters and handed in my report to my boss I couldn’t stop wondering what kind of venue he would be playing at. Whether he was more successful now or still playing in coffee shops? Did he make it to the grand hall like he wanted?

Unfortunately, those thoughts kept popping up randomly in my head for the next two days that should have been peaceful for me. Even on my last night in my hotel, I was staring up at the ceiling unable to go to bed. The nagging curiosity of whether he finished his show or not was keeping me awake. Ugh, I have to know.

I shift over to my side and bury my head in the hotel pillow. Overstepping boundaries or whatever. I’ll just ask him when I get back. It’s killing me.

***

I pulled up to the parking lot in front of my apartment building and swung the keys around my finger. It was an unnecessary long two-day business trip but I’m finally home. But of course, coming home meant coming back to him. Speaking of the devil, Taehyung was sitting on outside stairwell, murmuring into his cell phone.

I’ll just ask him about his music, real casually. It’s not even a big deal. Is what I told myself. but I really didn’t want this guy to think I have any interest in him still.

But when I get to the stairs and open my mouth to ask, he only threw me a quick grin before crinkling up his nose and shifting his phone to the other ear. “So, they’re not bringing our equipment to the gig?” His voice was a little anxious. “I’d pick it up myself, but you know I don’t have a car, yet.”

At the mention of car, he suddenly glanced up at me and I quickly tuck my dangling keys inside my fist.  Oh, no I know where this is going. I tried to tiptoe around him to get up to my apartment, but his hand wrapped around my ankle and he looked up at me like a sad puppy.

Please. He mouthed

My fingers were wrapped tight around the wheel, as I tried not to glance at Taehyung beside me, his head rested against the window. His stereo and music gear rattling in the back-seat of my tiny car. This is what I get for being curious about his music career.

It didn’t help either that this scenario was giving me flashbacks to a time I don’t feel like remembering and it definitely didn’t help that we were driving through the part of town that we always used to hang out in. We zoomed by the old park and the juice place on the right, and upcoming was the entrance to the place we met: XX University.

My eyes traveled to the large welcome sign and flags that waved red and silver in the university courtyard. The familiar sight of the school gates tugged on forgotten memories. The lawn before me filled up with the students of my past and I suddenly saw the whole scene play out again. My first year of college.

I was new to the area, from the small town, so the thousands of students and the busied sounds had really been a shock to my system. It was frightening but also exhilarating. To know that there were so many different people to meet.

Though as luck would have it, I met the one person I probably shouldn’t have met. If I’m being honest he wasn’t actually a bad guy, then. In fact, he had been my only comfort when I found the new environment dizzying. He was my first friend.

 

**XX University: I couldn't think of a name lol so it's just XX**