Reeling Through The Midnight Streets

This Dream Isn't Feeling Sweet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

        Sana’s leading them towards the back door of Dahyun’s house at top speed. After hearing the younger girl’s confirmation to her offer, Sana had practically jumped up and dragged Dahyun out of the room.

        Dahyun hoped Sana couldn’t feel the way her fingers were trembling in her grip. Though if Sana didn’t feel it, she was sure the older girl must’ve seen how nervous Dahyun felt while she fumbled with the key and lock of her bedroom door.

        Together, they fly down the staircase, nearly knocking into the couples kissing in the corridor. Now that they’re out in the open, Dahyun can hear the familiar sound of heavy bass beats from the basement. There’s a symphony of people’s voices chattering all around them, but Dahyun’s honed into one person only.

        Their hands are tightly intertwined and Dahyun’s heart flutters within her chest as if she’s going through an overdose. Briefly, Dahyun thinks she sees Chaeyoung and Yeri chatting in the middle of her living roof. She almost wants to stop and say hello, but Sana pulls her in the opposite direction before she even gets the chance to tell her friends where she’s going.

        That’s okay, Dahyun thinks to herself, they probably think I’m passed out on my bed by now. I can text them later and tell them what’s going on. She’d rather spend the night with Sana, anyways. It’d been far too long since they’d been able to see each other, and she’d be lying if she said she were over her childhood crush.

        For right now, she had an infinite amount of time with her high school friends. For all she knew, Sana could be leaving in the morning. The two girls walk side by side on the pavement outside, hands still locked together as the make their way along the familiar path towards Sana’s house. The younger girl notices that each of the windows of the Minatozaki household are pitch black, and gives Sana a quizzical look.

        “I just got into town about an hour ago,” Sana smiles, pulling her car keys out of her pocket. “My parents were fast asleep when I arrived, and I didn’t want to wake them up so I headed over to your place. It seemed pretty…lit.” Dahyun choses to shrug at Sana’s remark. “You know better than I do there’s nothing much to do around here, Sana-chan,” she chuckles.

        “My parents are out of town and the girls wanted to celebrate the beginning of senior year with a bang.” Sana giggles, “Okay, okay, you’re right. It’s not like my roommates and I didn’t host a party or two during break.” With two clicks on the tiny handheld device in her palm, Dahyun’s attention is brought to the sleek sedan parked in front of the house.

        “A BMW?” The younger girl muses, impressed by her friend’s taste as she reaches for the door handle. “Don’t worry,” Sana says as she climbs into the low lying sports car, blushing. “It’s more than a few years old, if that’s what you’re thinking.  Nothing special.” Dahyun rolls her eyes playfully, buckling her seatbelt. “Whatever you say, Sana-chan.”

        Soon, they’re soaring down a stretch of illuminated road. All of the windows of the car are down, and though Dahyun’s aware her hair must look like a tangled, matted mess, she laughs with pure and utter delight. It’s been a while since she’d felt the rush of being carefree that wasn’t tinted with the stench of sweating bodies and the aftertaste of liquor on her tongue.

        In the midst of it all, Sana blasted one of their favorite songs from when Sana was still going to Dahyun’s high school. The high school senior turned in her seat and looked over at Sana with an unbelieving expression. “Hey! You remember this song, right?” Sana shouted above the roar of the wind, beaming over at Dahyun as she steered the vehicle.

        “How could I ever forget?” The younger girl yelled back, whooping her approval into the night air. Laughter burst throughout the cabin of the car as Dahyun turned the stereo nearly all the way up. Ribs by Lorde began blasting through the speakers with its slow build of up synths.

        Dahyun burned with anticipation. On the dash of the car, she noticed that the time had hit just after twelve o’clock. Just as the song described, the girls were streaking down midnight streets, and Dahyun was ever troubled by her greatest fear. The heavy bass line of the song matched up with the pounding of Dahyun’s heart, gradually building up into a faster tempo. Dahyun’s head lolled back against the headrest of her seat.

        As the song built up, Sana reached over and held her hand, pressed up against the top of her thigh. Dahyun cracked her eyes open ever so slightly and smiled, curling her fingers against the top of the older girl’s knuckles. The action reminded herself that she should be more invested in the present than the thoughts swirling around in her head.

        After all, she had no idea when Sana would be leaving. Hell, the college girl could only be spending the weekend here before going back to Seoul. Not wanting this to be another moment she’d regret missing out on, Dahyun forced her ever impending thoughts of the future out of her head and got a grip on reality.

        She bobbed her head along to the music as she sang along, watching as Sana smiled and did the same, the wind whipping both of their hair around as they raced against the night. When the beat drops, Sana lets go of Dahyun. With one hand on the wheel, Sana twirls the other in the air, moving along to the beat of Lorde’s music.

        “I haven’t listened to this song in a long time!” Dahyun shouts gleefully, jamming to the song. Sana lets out a loud laugh as Dahyun breaks out into as much of a dance as she could possibly muster while sitting down. Lost in the ambiance of the music, Dahyun tilts her head back as she dances. She stares up at the open sunroof, watching the universe rush by her.

        Everything about the song was exactly like what she was experiencing. Here she was, driving down the deserted highway, with the one person she couldn’t live without, with the thought of growing older haunting her. “It drives you crazy, getting old,” Dahyun sang along to the lyrics, wondering just how Lorde had pinned her teenaged fears into one song perfectly.

        Bobbing her head along to the music as she joined in with Dahyun, Sana carefully watches the younger girl out of the corner of her eye. In her mind, she can barely imagine two years have passed since she’s been back to visit, it almost feels like no time has passed. A part of her feels guilty for leaving Dahyun alone, that she hadn’t been able to visit home in so long.

        Truthfully, there was nothing in Sana’s power that could have been done about the matter. College kept her busy enough, what with juggling a part time job and her studies and something akin to a social life. Plus, her apartment was more than half an hour’s drive away from Seongnam, without traffic. Time never seemed to move so fast, Sana could hardly believe that the last time she’d stepped foot in Seongnam was two years ago.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter