Chapter 1

A Start

Spring.

A new start and a new beginning for Seulgi.

She was happy. No, more than happy, she was elated. Finally, she could experience college like a normal person.

She was watching the buildings, the various students and nature itself through the small window of the black limousine she was currently driving in. Everything was so new to her.

“Look Wan! LOOK! LOOK!” she excitedly started yelling at her companion who was seated next to her, busy reading a college booklet. Wan – also known as Seungwan only sighed at the enthusiastic girl and kept on reading the booklet instead of joining in on the excitement.

Seulgi who was unsatisfied with her best friend’s lukewarm reaction slid closer to her and latched on to her arm. “Aren’t you excited Wan? We are finally going to experience college life! We can finally see the outside world. We can finally meet new people.”

“Of course, I’m excited. Just like you I haven’t seen much of the outside world but first we must prepare ourselves for this new college life and by preparing, I mean reading this booklet.”

Seungwan out of nowhere procured a second booklet and handed it to Seulgi and then returned her attention back to her own.

Seulgi who now lost the attention of her best friend detached herself and unenthusiastically flips through the booklet. Even though they both are alphas, this is where she and Seungwan have their differences. The latter likes to be prepared for everything, while Seulgi likes to go with the flow.

In her defense it always works out in her favor but Seungwan usually ends up with more stress as she is the one who fixes the aftermath of Seulgi’s “going with the flow”. So, to spare her friends poor mental health she should do as she is told.

She swiftly flipped through the book again, swiftly memorizing the content and then unceremoniously threw the book to her side. For times like these Seulgi is thankful that she can memorize things quickly.

She directs her attention again towards the window of the limousine and lets her mind wander back to the time why she was so excited for this whole trip anyways.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going to college seemed like a normal and mundane task that would rarely bring any special joy to a normal college student but for Seulgi and Seungwan this has a greater significance.

They haven’t been in a public school since their elementary school years or for a matter of fact they have been kept out of the public eye since they have been found out to be alphas.

The Kangs and Sons have been friends and business partners for as long as they could remember. They met in college and from there, their ambitions merged together to form one of the biggest companies which took over the business world by storm.

As time passed and their workload stabilized they immediately thought about starting the family they always wanted and from there Seungwan and Seulgi came to this world.

For the first few years their childhood was fairly normal. They went to a regular school, did well on their assignments and made normal friends but all of that changed when they were about to enter middle school.

All children at the age of 12 must undergo a medical exam to determine their role in this world. As that is the age when hormones run free this must be checked to receive the knowledge to understand their role and the medications that is required to control the urges that come with their role.

Seulgi and Seungwan weren’t worried about this. Their parents were both betas and the chances of being anything other than a beta were relatively so low that the chance practically didn’t even exist. Unfortunately, both girls were proven wrong when the most unlikely result came true in both of their cases.

They were both Alphas. When they saw the results, they couldn’t believe it at first. This must have been a mistake. It was impossible. Even their parents couldn’t believe it. But no matter how many times they redid the test the results never changed, and they had to accept it that they were alphas.

Now, nothing was wrong with being an alpha. It should have been a happy occasion but for their parents, the role of an alpha was something foreign. All their life they only had known their own role which was being a beta. Being Beta meant that they were normal. Nothing was special about them.

They knew of alphas because in their line of work.  Many of the leading companies had Alpha CEO’s and they had worked with them on many occasions. Charismatic, strong and beautiful that is all they knew of the so-called top of the role chain.

They only knew the surface of the Alpha and that scared them because nothing could be that perfect. They knew they had to be something underneath that perfect exterior that makes them an Alpha and they were proven right when the doctors explained to them in detail what it meant being an Alpha.

Alphas are stronger and taller but more aggressive. When they are aroused they develop a rut. None of these things posed a problem for them but the last thing that was explained to them gave them worries.

Alphas can become uncontrollable when they are around Omegas in heat.

That is what scared them the most. That their children could assault someone innocent and they couldn’t let this happen. They had a reputation to protect.

The next thing that they decided would change Seulgi and Seungwan’s life forever. They would be homeschooled. The parents thought if they weren’t outside they wouldn’t be able to meet Omegas and there wouldn’t be a chance of them losing control. To them this was the only way of protecting their children from any potential danger they could inflict on others and their reputation.

From there on their life was the same every day. They were confined to Seulgi’s manor and were taught by various tutors in the same mundane room. They weren’t allowed to go out in fear of accidents and the only time they were able to meet people were at parties but even there they would only rarely meet other children. Only their parent’s business partners would be there and talking to them was more exhausting than entertaining.

This went on until the present time until Seulgi had enough of this. She wanted to go out and see how normal people live their life and not be stuck in her own house with the same people. She wanted to be free. Just because she was an Alpha doesn’t mean that she would give in to her instincts. She was sure of that.

So, one night when both Seulgi’s and Seungwan’s parents were present for dinner Seulgi immediately jumped on this opportunity to tell them her plan.

As everyone was enjoying their meal Seulgi was wiping her now sweaty hands on her pants and tried to calm her pounding heart. This was her chance and she wouldn’t waste it.

“Father! Mother! I have somethings to discuss with you”

Both of her parents stopped amid of their conversation and looked at their child with a raised eyebrow.

Seulgi who now had the attention of everyone in room broke out in a cold sweat. Maybe this was a bad idea after all.

She balled her fist and shook her head. No this was her only chance. She will persuade them. She glanced at Seungwan who was seated next to her and when she saw her best friends reassuring smile she steeled herself once more.

“I want to attend a public college! I’m sick of being at home all this time. I can’t stand being homeschooled. I want to interact with people my age and have friends my age. I’m pretty sure Wan feels the same way!”

Her parents raised their hands for her to stop. She wants to protest but the serious look on her parents faces were enough to stop her in her tracks and she sits back down.

“Seulgi, I’m sure you know the reason we have homeschooled the both of you for so long. It’s not that we want to take away your freedom and the ability to make outside connections. What we are most afraid of are your “urges”. They are unpredictable. We know the both of you. We know that you both are so kind that you would not even be able to hurt a fly. Still, we can’t leave anything to chance. You have to understand”

Her parents looked at her with a troubled expression.

She knew that they were trying to not hurt her and Seungwans’s feelings. She knew that her parents only had her best interest in mind, but she would back down this time.

“If you guys know how we feel then why won’t you grant us this chance? All these years we have done what you guys expected from us. We attended all those classes that would explain our type and in addition we memorized every single word that was recited to us. We know what we are capable off, but we also know not to give in to our types stigma. We are different than those rumors that you are so afraid off. Please trust in us!”

Seulgi was shaking when she finished he rant. Small specks of tears were daring to spill from her eyes but didn’t when she felt a comforting hand on her shoulder. Seungwan who rose from her seat was putting patting her comfortingly.

“I agree with Seulgi. All these years we had all this education about our roles but if we can’t use this knowledge in the outside world then what is the point of us even understanding our own roles? If we stay confined in this mansion without even gaining any outside experience, then us taking over the companies will result in failure. We need to understand how to interact others right? We can’t learn that being held prisoner is this mansion.”

Seungwan looked over her parents and Seulgi’s with a calm expression. Her words were rational and calm which didn’t surprise Seulgi as she was the calmer person between them. She was about to chime in again when she saw the expression on both of her parents and Seungwans.

They were all smiling at them.

“I’m glad that you guys can voice your opinions so openly in front of us without being discouraged. I’m sorry that you guys felt this way all these years.” Her father showed them an apologetic expression and a wry smile. “Alright, I will allow it. You both can attend an outside college but I’m the one who gets to choose which one you attend.”

They both smile at each other and hug. This was still a win for them even if they didn’t get to choose their college and this was better than not being able to go.

As they were having their small celebration, Seulgi’s father picked up his wine glass and looked at the red liquid with a thoughtful face. His smile leaving his face and now replaced with a solemn expression.

“I’m adding another condition.” Both Seulgi and Seungwan immediately had all their attention on the man and were waiting in anticipation on what his added condition would be. “During your time at that college you can’t pursue a romantic relation with anyone. If both of you can promise me that then I will not interfere with your life there. Moreover, you have to be responsible for your own expenses. I will arrange a place for you guys, but other expenses are all to be handled by you.”  He chuckled to himself. “Though I’m sure that the both of you would have no problems with the second condition since I know the both of you have your hands in the stock market.”

He was correct as Seulgi and Seungwan had a comfortable sum of money at their disposal from their endeavors in the stock market. As there was not a lot of things to do when you are confined to a mansion the only thing they could do was to dabble in the stock market when they exhausted all their other options like exercising, reading and other extracurricular activity. 

“I’m sure you guys know that in the business world everything is built from relations. Know the right people and your business will bloom. Piss off the wrong people and you can kiss your success goodbye.”

They both nodded at what Mr. Kang was saying. It was true.

“You both are alphas. Therefore, I’m also proud to say that you both are on top of the list of most eligible bachelorettes. I have been receiving more and more invitations to business dinners with potential candidates and I had to reject them because you two were barely out of high school, but I can’t keep on rejecting them. So, I will wait for you to finish college and then the two of you have to choose a likely candidate that will be your spouse.”

 

 

Seulgi and Seungwan both looked at him with wide eyes and shock evident in their eyes.

The latter quickly composed herself and answered in a calm tone. “That is fine with me. It’s not like I’m going to college to engage in such behavior.”

Mr. Son and Mrs. Son quickly look up and down at their daughter and smile at her. “I’m sure you aren’t because you already have someone on your mind, right? Wannie dear.”

Seungwan shot her parents a glare and cleared .

Seulgi on the other hand was still flabbergasted at her fathers’ words thus she did not hear the words of Seungwans parents. She never thought about choosing a mate. All she had on her mind was just to experience a normal life and now she must think about choosing a mate in a few years.

Mr. Kang coughs to snap Seulgi out of her daze. “Now, Seulgi you still have time so there is no need to rush. Just make sure that you do not find yourself in a relationship.”

He smiles sadly at his daughter and Seungwan and averts his eyes from them. “I’m sorry that I have to put this burden on you guys. I’m a big believer in marrying someone you love but nowadays success only can be brought by uniting businesses.” He takes his wife’s hand in his own and gives it a light squeeze before he looks at them again.

Upon looking at her father’s sad expression she could nod and agree to his terms. She didn’t have the luxury to be selfish. Her parents already had suffered enough by being parents to an alpha and she didn’t want to add more worries to their list.

“I accept you condition Father.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“We have arrived Miss Kang. Miss Son.”

Her driver’s words snap her out of her daydream. He is right. Her view now filled a horde of bustling college students instead of the serene scenery from before. They finally made it to their destination. Korea University.

Seulgi got out of the car and stretched her sore muscles as it had quite a lengthy car ride. She took a deep breath and reveled at the fresh air she inhaled. She could feel the stares of some curious students but didn’t mind them. Unfortunately, being from an influential family and on top of that also being alpha warrants unwanted attention. 

Seungwan soon after appeared next to her with her nose still in the college booklet. Seulgi could vaguely hear sentences such as “Need to go here” and other things like “Make sure to check this out”.

Seulgi chuckled to herself. Seungwan was always such a perfectionist.

“Miss Kang. Miss Son. Your luggage already has been sent to the dormitory and all the attached paperwork has been handled by your parents.” He gave them a deep bow. “Please enjoy your college life.” With one last smile he entered the car and drove off.

Now left to their own devices Seulgi was about to ask Seungwan what their plan of action was before her train of thought disappeared.

A scent caught her attention. Lavender? or was it Vanilla? It was faint but so intoxicating. It clouded her mind. All she could think of was that smell and where it came from.

Her legs moved by themselves like they had a mind of their own towards the direction the scent was coming from.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Alright, Seulgi. We have to go to the admissions office to fill out some papers so follow me.” Seungwan said after she studied the campus map that was included in the booklet.

She looked up from the booklet but much to her surprise her best friend was nowhere in sight.

She frantically looked around her surroundings to see if she could spot Seulgi but to her dismay the other alpha was long gone.

She unceremoniously fell on her knees not caring for the stares from the passing students.

“Aish…. Why am I friends with that child?” She massaged her forehead hoping to soothe the incoming headache.

They barely even made it past the gates and she already lost her best friend.

She knew that the other Alpha was of the unpredictable and curious nature, but she didn’t think she was going to just up and leave her without notifying her first.

 “Sooyoung forgive me if your sister doesn’t come back when I’m going to be done with her. I hope for her sake that she has the best explanation prepared.” She thought to herself as she already formed a plan on how she was going to beat the living daylights out of Seulgi.

------------------------------------

Chapter 1 a bit of background and such lalalal. You know the sweet cool stuff....

I wonder whose scent Seulgi picked up huehue we will seee heheheh 

Hit me with comments and such and see how you like it.