"Can I sit here?"

Your Hands
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chenle lost his voice when he was six. The beginning was very difficult for him because back then he didn't really know how to write very much, so he learned sign language. He practiced every day a lot with his parents, and soon he was very good at it. 
He attended a school just like everyone else. He still was able to hear which made everything a lot easier. Luckily his teacher was able to understand sign language.
 
But now he was 16 and everything was as normal as can be. It was the beginning of this school year. He entered he classroom and sat down at an empty table in the last row next to the window. 

He heard a few boys talking with each other and recognized one. Lee Jungseok. "Oh guys look, that's Chenle. He's deaf and can't speak. He's just stupid." Chenle took a piece of paper wrote some down and then threw it at Jungseok. "Oh a letter." He started reading it out loud. "I can't speak but I'm not deaf. Get your facts straight ." Jungseok walked to Chenles table and grabbed the collar of his shirt. "How dare you stupid? The next time you do something like thi---"  "Stop it!" A boy that Chenle has never seen before spoke up and grabbed Jungseoks hand. "Who do you think you are?" Jungseok asked. "Might as well ask you the same question. Now leave him before a teacher comes in." The boy said and Jungseok left. "You were lucky but you won't be next time, stupid!"  

"Can I sit here?" The boy asked. Chenle just nodded and the boy smiled happily. "I'm Renjun." Chenle grabbed a piece of paper and wrote something down again and handed it to Renjun. "Nice to meet you. I'm Chenle. I'm sorry, but I lost my voice long ago." The paper said. "You don't have to be sorry about that. It's alright." He gave a reassuring smile to Chenle. And all that Chenle could do was smile back. He quickly wrote something on the other side of the paper. "Thank you so much for helping me." It said. "It's not a big deal. I like helping people." He said and smiled once again. 

"May I ask you a personal question?" Chenle just nodded. "Do you use sign language?" Chenle simply answered by doing the sign for yes and then nodded. "That's really amazing." Renjun said. Chenle smiled happily at him. He didn't get such a compliment in a while. Renjun smiled back at him and then noticed that the teacher came in.

"Good morning class. I'm Misses Kim. I'll be your teacher for math, English, geography, and physics." Chenle recognized her. She was his elementary school teacher. 

"Good morning misses Kim." Everyone said and Chenle signed it. She saw it and signed a "Long time no see." 

Renjun found himself staring at Chenles hands. His hands moved softly and elegantly through air. Renjun was totally fascinated by Chenle. 


The day went by very fast and soon it was time for their last subject. Art class. Renjun loved art class. He loved drawing and painting. It was a way of expressing himself. At the same time it was very soothing to him. But that class also went by fast. They were assigned a homework. They were supposed to draw something that they considered beautiful. Renjun had an idea, but he didn't know if it was ok for Chenle. He wanted to ask him if he could draw his hands doing the sign for love. Renjun decided he would ask Chenle after class. 

Chenle took out a piece of paper after class and then they both left school together. "In which direction do you need to go?" Renjun asked. Chenle pointed in the direction were Renjun was also headed. As it turned out Renjun lived in Chenles parallel street. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter