AND WE RUN

And We Run

Sinb put everything in her punch but Yuju didn’t even stumble. She had to kill her. She had to, if she wanted to survive. Sinb was a detainee in a criminal centre. This centre was one of a kind because the criminals in order to survive had to kill each other. A few days ago, Sinb had been arrested because she dared criticized the dictator ruling the country. Now she was against Yuju, a detainee like her. Besides her name, she didn’t know who she was. But that doesn’t matter anymore because she had to kill her. Other soldiers were guarding the enormous room where both of them had to fight. The other detainees were assisting to the fight. Sinb didn’t know how to fight on the contrary of Yuju. The only thing that Sinb was able to do was to run. So she ran. She wanted to escape. She just hopped that she will succeed in finding an exit. She wanted to leave this place. She didn’t belong here, in this place full of criminals who have certainly done way worse than criticizing the regime. She managed to escape the room. The last thing she heard was the guard demanding Yuju to pursue her and bring her back. She ran down the hall towards the entry but before she could cross the door, she felt someone grabbed her shoulder. It was Yuju. Sinb turned towards her. She saw Yuju’s emotionless face. She got scared by it. Yet she still managed to gather her courage and push her. Then she ran. She had the dangerous idea of entering the guarding room that leaded to the exit. But before she could entering it, someone push her against a wall. She wanted to scream. But a hand put on , prevented her from doing so. She closed her eyes too scared of what will happen. But nothing.

 

  • Relax, said a very comforting voice. 

 

Sinb opened her eyes and somehow relaxed. She turned her head towards the person. It was Yuju. She seemed worried. Sinb was confused. 

 

  • What are you doing ? she asked Yuju. 

 

  • Isn’t it obvious ?, answered Yuju.

 

Sinb didn’t understand but she let Yuju guide her towards another room. It was the locker room. Suddenly Sinb got scared when she saw Yuju taking off her own clothes.

  • No, I don’t want …

 

Yuju looked up at her with a confused room. 

 

  • Shh, change your clothes quickly. 

 

Sinb felt really dumb to have thought what she had thought. 

 

  • What will I wear, then ? she asked.

 

  • The guard uniforms, Yuju answered as if it was obvious.

 

  • Why ? 

 

  • Because it is better to escape, don’t you think so ? 

 

So she was planning to escape too. Sinb didn’t understand why Yuju had not killed her instead especially when Yuju was definitely going to win. Yuju handed her a guard uniform that she found in one of the lockers. Sinb took it and she didn’t miss while doing so Yuju’s abs. The latter was so athletic. She could easily be a soldier or something like that. 

 

  • What are you waiting for ? asked Yuju.

God, Yuju had caught her looking at her body. Sinb felt ashamed of herself. She didn’t know what was going inside her. She felt weird. She put her unknown feelings aside and changed herself. Then she asked Yuju: 

 

  • Do you know how to escape? 

 

  • I don’t, but I know that it is certainly not by doing as you tried to do. 

 

  • Why ? This room is the only way to escape. 

 

  • No it is not. It is full of guards. We have to find another way. Maybe the air-ducts. 

 

  • I think you have watched too much spy movies, Sinb teased. 

 

  • Why would you think so ? said Yuju with a defying tone. 

 

  • Well I don’t know maybe because you act like a spy. 

​​​​​​​

  • Maybe because that’s what I really am. 


Sinb didn’t know what to respond. Yuju was a spy. Well it was very logical after all. That explained everything: from her fighting abilities, the choice of not killing Sinb to her calm attitude. Yuju was going to leave the room. 

 

  • Wait, if you are spy, you have to save everyone, why me then ? 

 

  • Because you are the only one worth it. I mean the other people here are all criminals who have killed etc … but you are here only because of your idea. You did nothing wrong.

 

Sinb was touched by the explanation yet she still didn’t understand how Yuju knew that she was the only one here worth it. Maybe there were others like her. Yuju noticed the frown on Sinb’s face so she add:

 

  • Please, trust me, I promise we will escape. 

 

Sinb felt weird again. Yuju reassuring her triggered something deep inside her but she didn’t know what it was. She chose to disregard it and followed Yuju. The latter was really a professional. Indeed before entering a room she would scan it and managed to blur the monitoring camera. But soon the guard seemed to notice their missing, that is why an alarm was set off. Yuju found a way to enter the air-ducts. Sinb feared that they didn’t manage to enter it in the nick of time. Fortunately, they succeed in doing so. It was very obscur. Hopefully, Yuju had a pocket torch. Sinb was silently following Yuju. They arrived outside the center. Lots of guard were there. 

 

  • We will never pass though them. said Sinb hopeless. 

 

Yuju approached her and Sinb felt her heartbeat increased. Yuju held her shoulders to reassure her. 

 

  • Don’t be scared Sinb, I will find a way to get us out of here. 

 

Sinb suddenly realized something. 

 

  • You didn’t plan it, did you ? 

​​​​​​​

  • What are you talking about ? 

​​​​​​​

  • You don’t seem to have planned the escape. 

​​​​​​​

  • I... you’re right.  Yuju eventually confessed. Well, I did plan to get out of here, but there is something that I didn’t plan at all. 

​​​​​​​

  • What is it ? 

​​​​​​​

  • You

Sinb’s eyes widened.
- What do you mean ? 

  • You were not part of the plan. My boss told me to only infiltrate the centre and then to get out. I wasn’t supposed to take you with me. 

​​​​​​​

  • Why did you do it then? 

​​​​​​​

  • Because I couldn’t … I .. 

Yuju didn’t seem to know what to answer. Sinb was still looking at her. But then she felt Yuju getting closer and Sinb was frozen. Yet, when she noticed that Yuju wasn’t approaching her anymore, she didn’t know what has gotten into her but she kissed her. Yuju’s lips were so soft against her. Sinb wanted to break the kiss because there were no response from Yuju. Nonetheless, she felt then Yuju grabbing her cheeks and deepening the kiss. Their kiss were tainted by passion and desire. Yet, they had to break the kiss when they heard some guards yelling:

 

  • They are there ! 


Sinb got scared suddenly. Yuju took her hand.

 

  • What do we do now ? asked Sinb still blushing. 

 

  • We run. 

 

And they ran. They managed to escape the centre for good. But they knew, they weren’t safe nowhere. So they kept running for hours. They found a chalet in the forest. It was well hidden in the middle of the hood.  After having scanned it, Yuju came to the conclusion that it was empty. Sinb was obviously exhausted. She collapsed but hopefully Yuju managed to held her before she reaches the ground. She put her on the sofa. When Sinb woke up, Yuju was not there anymore. She got scared, was really Yuju a person she could trust? Well, she saved her so the answer is clear but still, Sinb had a premonition that Yuju hadn’t told her everything.
Sinb got up from her seat, she scanned the chalet it was very comfy and clean that’s why it was hard to believe that no one lives here. After a while, Yuju get back. She held fish in her hands. Sinb was surprised, from what she knew, a spy wasn’t supposed to know how to hunt nor fish. 

 

  • How did you get that ? 

​​​​​​​

  • Well, I took classes for that because I knew that one day I would need it. 

 

Sinb nodded. She watched Yuju cook the fishes. Then they ate. It was pretty good even if it was very simple. They sat down on the sofa. 

  • Thank you, said Sinb 

​​​​​​​

  • Your welcome. You know, it’s not a big deal to cook a fish. 

​​​​​​​

  • No, thank you for saving me. I would have died today, if it was not during the battle, it would have been when they would have caught me. I would have never been able to escape by myself. So thank you. 

There was a twinkle in Yuju’s eyes. She was looking at Sinb with so much passion. 

  • No thank you. You also saved me. 

​​​​​​​

  • How come ? I did nothing. 

​​​​​​​

  • No, you did everything. If you weren’t there I don’t know if I would have find the strength to escape. 

​​​​​​​

  • But you planned everything, didn’t you ? 

​​​​​​​

  • To tell you the truth, I was supposed to stay anonymous but they caught me and that is how I became a detainee. I wasn’t supposed to become one. I failed my mission. 

​​​​​​​

  • But your boss is waiting for you, isn’t he ? 

​​​​​​​

  • No, Sinb. I failed the mission, now the regime knows me. So I am not a spy anymore. I can’t be one anymore. I lost my job and I was planned to let myself die today. But then you were chose as my opponent and I immediately understood that you weren’t like the other criminals. 

​​​​​​​

  • So you decided to save me, because I wasn't like the others ? 

​​​​​​​

  • At first, I hadn’t plan to save you, but when I realized that you weren’t going to kill me, I started thinking otherwise. But what has convinced me to save you is your determination. You pushed me because you wanted to escape so bad. You wanted to live. I saw that thirst so I decided to help you.

Sinb didn’t know what to feel. She was so grateful and sad at the same time. 

  • Now, Yuju, you want to live, don’t you ? 

​​​​​​​

  • Yes, I want to live because I want to protect you. You are now the only reason why I want to stay alive. This country is not safe. We have to escape it. 

​​​​​​​

  • I can’t be the only reason you want to stay alive. I refuse to be your only reason. There is so much more in this life. 

​​​​​​​

  • Yes, Sinb you’re right, there is not only you. There is also Love. 

While saying that, she approached Sinb and kissed her. Sinb was surprised by the sudden kiss but she responded to it. She let Yuju control the kiss as she let her control the escape. Because she realized that Yuju was sincere. There were love in her mesmerizing eyes. She was actually fragile. The prove is that she wanted to let herself die. The fact that she is willing to protect her because she is the only thing that matters for her shows it too. It was also sad. So Sinb promised that from now she will relight the light of Yuju. She will devote her life to do so. 

 

Days after, they managed to flee the country. They wanted to live together. So they fought for it. And they ran. At the pursuit of happiness.