-3-

My Apprentice Knight

 

 

Tomorrow had arrived and Soo Jin was panicking slightly in front of her mirror, staring at her chosen outfit, “I don’t have the guts to do this..even if I am dressed now” OTL

*Knock knock*

“Miss Kang. Are you done yet?”

Slowly Soo Jin opened the door with her eyes partially closed, “I’m sorry Taeyong-shii I really can’t..”

As she opened her eyes she noticed that he wasn’t in his regal uniform like she originally thought he would be.

He was dressed in a pair of dark jeans, a white collared shirt and a grey cardigan, a watch on his left wrist and simple Black on Black Nike Roshes.

“Can’t do what?”

'he’s wearing casual clothes!' with a stupefied look she gasped at him, “W-wow. Where’s your uniform?”

He let out a sigh as he remembered Lucas pestering him that it wasn’t the time or the place to wear the uniform and gave in to his nagging,

“A knight should adjust his manners in accordance with his master’s wishes. Since you’re ready, let us go now.”

In a millisecond he grabbed her hand, leading her to walk, “my time belongs to you. You shouldn’t waste it.”

Glancing from their hands linked together to his stoic face she smiled to herself before cheerfully saying, “okay!”

 

To say that people noticed would be an understatement.

Everywhere they walked girls had hearts in their eyes at every movement Taeyong made.

He would be strolling along with Soo Jin and the hearts of the girls would stop as if a real life prince charming was in their presence.

Soo Jin noticed the stares but smiled along, ‘It’s nice to see that even though he isn’t in his knight’s uniform. Taeyong-shii still grabs the attention of people. I really am glad that he’s wearing normal clothes like me.’

She looked to her right with a slight chuckle,  ‘I’m happy to see him look a bit different for once’

They took a mini coffee break for a refuel.

Soo Jin looked at Taeyong as he grabbed an endless amount of sugar packets.

After his 6th packet she gave him a quizzical look,“Uh..isn’t that too much sugar?”

Without hesitation he focused on opening his 7th packet, “I need an energy boost”

Soo Jin could only look on, slightly sipping her ice coffee as he gulped down the sugared coffee.

 

“Ow” ,Soo Jin stopped momentarily while Taeyong looked over at her stopped figure.

“What’s wrong?”

“I think it’s a blister, don’t worry, I’m-”

Before she could get another word he sat her down on the bench behind them, “Sit.”

“Wait..the flowers”

In a second he took out a bandaid, kneeling down he took her foot in his hand slowly and delicately he placed the bandaid on the blister.

The gesture was simple but the way he handled her with delicacy made her heart beat.

With a blush she took the chance to get a real good look at him.

His eyes downcast, showcasing his lashes which weren’t as long but they were full, his nose smaller than most, skin clear with minor hints of freckles, probably from the sun, and his plump lips pursed in focus.

Gathering up her composure she watched him with nervousness in her heart, “d-do you always carry bandages with you?”

“Not for my sake -”, he looked at her once before he finished placing her shoe back on, eyes piercing through hers, “They’re for you, since you always get injured.”

Gracefully he stood up, holding his hand out to her, “Can you stand up?”

Shyly, she placed her hand in his, hoping he hadn’t noticed the faint blush that was slowly creeping on to her face, slowly convincing herself with a mantra that this was part of his duties, ‘He’s acting, this is part of his training.’

She had to repeat the words over in her head to still her beating heart, ‘Don’t think too much about it. He said that he carries them..

But..

For me..’

 

As quick as the day came, night crept up on them and it was time to call it a day.

Soo Jin turned to Taeyong as he escorted her to her room in the dorms.

Bowing in another attempt to distract herself from the blush, she placed a bright smile on her face, “Thank you for keeping me company the whole day! It was really fun.”

Taeyong nodded at her, “I’m just doing my job.”

Another smile garnered Soo Jin’s face, “Perhaps for you it felt like you were just doing your job..but I’m really happy that we did all that”

Taeyong was startled at her words as his eyes slightly widened.

“ Well, I’ll be going back to my room now.”

Taeyong watched in silence as she turned to open her door, watching her small frame with a thoughtful look, ‘I’m not doing anything special and yet Miss Kang is happy about it..’

Before she could step in, “Taeyong-sshi.”

Hearing his name she turned to look at him, “You are my master, so there’s no need for you to be so formal when talking to me. So, just call me “Taeyong.”

Turning back to look at him she had a smaller smile garnered on her face, “O-okay Taeyong...can you also just call me by my first name too?”

“Understood.. Soo Jin”

He looked at the girl smiling in front of him, another passive look on his face as he briefly studied her, ‘I don’t mind letting her use my first name… if it’s only for this part of my training.”


A new day came and Soo Jin went on with her normal routine.

Sweeping the front of the school.

“Oh Taeyong!~” , Johnny was holding on to Soo Jin’s shoulders with a smirk

Unmoved by Johnny's playful antics he just stared at the later with a pensive look, “Stop that Young Ho. It’s weird when you talk to me like that.”

Feigning a hurt look he pouted with his arms still around Soo Jin, “But why ~? and how come Soo Jinnie gets to call you by your first name casually and I don’t?”

Brushing off Johnny’s hand from Soo Jin’s shoulders he moves her closer to him, “She is my master. And get away from her! If you have nothing to say, just leave!”

“Your master huh?” he raised a brow before taking a note from his uniform pocket, “Anyway. Here’s why I came - the professors want to see you. Oh and Soo Jin needs to sign this.”

With a raised brow Soo Jin took the note from Johnny.

“If you’re worried about Soo Jin, I’m more than happy to take care of her.”

Soo Jin smiled to Johnny after handing the note to Taeyong, “Don’t worry Johnny. I can take care of myself. You don’t need to worry about me Taeyong.”

Sighing Taeyong read the note over again, “If you say so. However, I’ll be back in an hour. Don’t wander off, don’t go climb any trees, don’t fall into any ditches and stay away from any suspicious men in case they try to kidnap you. Got that?”

“Uh..yes.”

After his mini lecture he straightened his jacket he turned to Johnny who raised a brow, “I guess I’ll go now?”

It had only been 10 minutes since the both of them left.

“It’s so quiet.. Even though Taeyong doesn’t talk much..”

Soo Jin continued sweeping while thinking to herself, ‘Whenever I turned back he was always there..watching over me..’

She paused her sweeping to sigh to herself, “When did this become a normal thing for me?”

Closing her eyes she took a breath, “It’s just the way things are at the moment.. I know I always make Taeyong worried”

She picked the broom back up and continued sweeping, “I need to show him that I can cope by myself.”

Faint footsteps could be heard.

“Morning Soo Jin.”

“Good Morning!”

 

 

Taking his phone out Taeyong dialed a number, “Seo. It’s me, Lee. talking to the teachers took longer than I expected. Can you tell Soo Jin I’ll be coming back now?”

“Hey, perfect timing. I was just going to check on her. Wait a sec.”

Johnny turned the corner, cell still up to his ear, “Soo Jin! Taeyong’s calling.”

As he turned to where she originally was, he was only greeted with a broom.

“Soo Jin?”

Her fallen broom.

He took a sharp intake.

“Taeyong”

The tone in Johnny’s voice changed and Taeyong knew something was wrong.