Nineteen

Trickling Red

Changmin in an enormous gulp of air and nearly lost his balance. His face was flustered, caught in a 'flight or fright' situation. 

"Get away from him!" Changmin shouted, voice cracking.

The cop stood in a karate stance, all ready to bring the intruders down to their knees, begging for his mercy. 

"I-I..." Kibum mumbled and then, he hissed. "Changmin!"

"Who-who are you? Why do you know my name?" Changmin stuttered, hands busy searching for his gun.

Damn, he thought. He had returned it already. Cold sweat dotted his forehead. His palms were clammy as he took big strides to the kitchen. A knife would do. 

Kibum silently crossed the threshold to follow Changmin, wiping his mouth.  Earlier on, Yunho had nudged him in the ribs to inform him that the cop had something in mind. 

He touched Changmin on his shoulder blade and the human jerked in shock. 

"It's me. Kibum..." the younger vampire admitted, pressing himself close to Changmin's back and hugging him tight.

As an involuntary action, Changmin grabbed the vampire's arm and hauled him upwards. The taller glared at him. Just then, the kitchen's light was switched on. Yunho, Kibum thought. Manipulating air and compressing it to form a force that was strong enough to flick the switch.

Changmin’s eyelid twitched and he dropped Kibum to the ground. The younger muttered under his breath.

Changmin turned and headed to the refrigerator, where he grabbed a bottle of mineral water. The liquid disappeared in four huge gulps.

"C-Changmin..." Kibum breathed a soft whisper.

His back was still turned. Tightening his hold on the plastic bottle, he calmed himself down. A small part of him told him that if this vampire could do something, he would have long done so. Changmin wanted to trust him. Coming face to face with the vampire, Changmin compressed his uneasiness to the pits of his stomach. He smiled nervously.

Kibum looked up at the taller male and whimpered his lover's name, apologetic for hiding the truth all this while. Timidly, he raised his hand and traced his fingers from Changmin's arm to the back of his hand. He wrapped his fingers around Changmin's and looked down to the ground. Slowly, his eyes closed as he took in a lungful of air.

Kibum rose on his toes to kiss Changmin's cheek and losing his balance, his lips landed, lingering on Changmin's throat instead. Both of them froze. One with the fear of being bitten while another with the phobia of extracting blood from a human directly.

Changmin moved away when what he expected did not happen. Then, he leant his forearms on Kibum's shoulders, letting his arms dangle down his back. He gazed into the vampire's eyes which became crescents quickly when he grinned. Changmin kissed him on the forehead before pressing his forehead against the shorter one's. Gently, he the vampire's cheek.

Meanwhile, Jaejoong continued his slumber as if nothing was going on at his place and Yunho retreated back into his apartment, sighing. What more could he said when he himself is in a close relationship with a cop?

 

*****

 

Yoochun snorted, but then covered it with a deep sip of his coffee.

“Snap out of it already,” he groaned, pulling his hair. “For the umpteenth time, Changmin, pay attention!”

All eyes turned to look at him. He let out a goofy grin and transfixed his gaze on the meeting table. The team went about discussing their recent task at hand – a series of housebreaking cases.

After the meeting had ended, Jaejoong made sideway glances at his subordinate. Catching the leader’s slight spark of interest as to what had happened to him, Changmin quickened his pace and left the room.

He could not say it. My boyfriend is a vampire and I know of it just after seeing hyung’s boyfriend ling blood for your neck. He snorted. Heck it, I don’t even know if you are actually keeping your ual orientation a secret.

Jaejoong left the office dejectedly. Changmin had been listless ever since he went to his place. He got into his car and steered out of the carpark. Rain pelted down on his windscreen as he moved out from the shelter. Dark clouds crowded above the city, heavy droplets pouring down unrelentingly. He had to inch his way home. He definitely would not want his car to be skidding across the roads.

The moment he stepped into his apartment and caught sight of an empty laundry basket, he panicked. The dry clothes are all wet again! He rushed to the balcony and grabbed the light-weighted rack into the house. He squeezed the clothes and drained as much rainwater into a pail.

When he was done, he settled down at the foot of his bed, popping a few of his top buttons. A long black box with a shiny silk ribbon tied nicely around it was spotted at the corner of his eye. He hummed curiously. Gingerly removing the lid as though there would be a bomb inside, Jaejoong saw a tiny card inside.

 

I entrust you with this.

Yunho

 

The cop put the card away, revealing a holster made of the finest supple leather. He slid out what it held: a shiny stainless-steel stake. The weight was perfect against his palms. Light glinted off its surface as he turned it to inspect the item.

Jaejoong blinked his eyes; he could not believe a vampire would give a weapon, one that he could especially be used to kill him with. Fascinated, he yanked it out. It slid free with an ease.

A sensation bubbled for the pits of his stomach. It thrilled him. What am I elated? He is a vampire. My enemy. Yet, he trusted me with his life. Jaejoong had a debate in his mind for a while. It was until the telephone that his brain stopped reeling in thought.

He huffed and stood up, shoving the stake into the bottom drawer of his bedside cabinet.

______________________________________________________________

I know I’m bad at writing romance! Lolz.