How Swell

A Helping Hand
Please log in to read the full chapter

Silence rang through the soft purple painted halls. Purple was a beautiful color and she doesn’t regret painting them all those years ago but her heart still ached at the memory. Shaking her head she trudged her way to her kitchen sighing as she reached for her favorite mug settling it down on the counter. She blinked at the mug before groaning loudly turning right back around towards her bathroom. Lately everything has felt like a burden from her morning routine to every she made on her easel. Her passion wasn’t there anyone, her art block the motivation right out of her. Grimacing at the thought of her broken paintings and ripped sketches, she was never one to throw away her art. Maybe place it aside to work on later for improvement but now she had a corner pull of unfinished and her worst work. She shook her head once more gripping the edge of the sink staring down at the last bit of water drain away. If only all her worries could be erased that easily. Reaching to cup the flowing water she splashed the little pool onto her face and met her own gaze in the mirror. 

‘Come on Seulgi you can do this it’s all you’ve been doing for years.’

Stepping into her kitchen once more she set the coffee maker for a fresh brew before slumping down into a chair grabbing her phone. Sending quick replies and skimming over emails marking starring them to come back when she wasn’t still half asleep. The smell of fresh hot coffee filled the room pulling her like a magnet, reaching for her cup immediately Seulgi prepared her coffee just how she liked it. Sipping carefully from the steaming cup she sighed and at the bear staring at her from the mug. Her phone suddenly went off grabbing her attention, leaning in her seat she smiled widely at the incoming call. 

“Hey baby!” She grinned into the phone. 

“Yah! Kang Seulgi what have I told you about joking like that when you answer the phone! Sooyoung is going to kill us both one of these days.” The other voice on the line scolded her making the brunette chuckle into the phone. 

“Sorry Seungwan I can’t help it, so what’s up?” Seulgi asked sipping her coffee leaning back in her chair with a smile. 

“Did you forget that your son is coming home today Seulgi?” Seungwan teased making the latter choke and widen her eyes. Scrambling to stand up Seulgi grinned and Seungwan swore she could feel it through the phone. 

“Kai’s coming home! Now I remember why I spent four hours doing an intense scrub down of the house yesterday. I still don’t know how I got paint on the ceiling...” Seulgi recalled before downing her coffee and setting the cup down in the sink before skipping to her bedroom. I 

“You really did forget! I mean I don’t mind keeping the big doofus here Sooyoung loves him mode than she loves me.” She jokes and Seulgi can clearly hear Sooyoung whining in the background. 

“Don’t call my dog a doofus he’s smarter than your girlfriend.” Seulgi retorted making her best friend snort at the statement. They end the call with a playful goodbye and Seungwan saying they’ll be around there after work this evening. Changing into a pair of jeans and a paint stain t-shirt she wandered back into her kitchen to quickly clean up. Sighing she stared at her wet hands and her eyes lit up, Kai’s coming home maybe finally she’s get out of this rut. Suddenly her phone vibrated repeatedly, fishing it out she groaned loudly as she read the message. 

Wannie the Pooh:
‘Don’t about the date you agreed to go on tonight! She’s great I promise!’

Along with it was the address of a restaurant that frequently went to. Tossing her phone onto the glass coffee table in her living room she carelessly threw herself onto the couch. The white of her walls reminded her of the times she painted and repainted this room but could never find the right color for it, Seungwan even joked that the hardware store loved her for her frequent trips. Maybe she stuck with white because it matched with her interior or maybe its simplicity gave her piece of mind. Perhaps the reason was much deeper and she just refused to give into it. Seulgi’s eyes landed on the frames placed above her fireplace. Pictures of her and Seungwan, others with Sooyoung and their younger friend Yerim. Her favorite one was the center frame it was a picture of all four of them with Kai in the middle frantically wagging his tail, he was only six months old and couldn’t be happier with his family. She smiled softly only to have it disappear when she looked at the last forgotten photo. Seulgi stared hard at it before groaning, why hasn’t she taken that one down after all these years? Her mind blanked before she slowly drifted away to sleep. 

~*~

‘Baby, is it me or are you

Doing something to me?

useul ttaeneun shining

But ne sogeun waenji lying

wiheomhage neon beautiful’

Seulgi groaned at her ringing phone blindly patting the couch in search of the annoying device. When finally felt the vibrations in her hand she snatched it upwards not bothering to look at the caller ID. Mumbling a hello she groaned at the voice on the other line. 

“Unnie~! Oh did I wake you oh well, anyways I’m just calling because I remember you asked me what I wanted as my graduation present.” They spoke gently into the phone making Seulgi smile lazily at the sound. 

“So what you want Yerim? Remember I said anything as long as it’s reasonable.” The older woman said as she slowly sat up leaning against the back of the couch. Shuffling was heard on the other line as she waited for the response. 

“Actually I don’t want you to buy me anything unnie...” Yerim’s voice turning shy suddenly intriguing the artist waiting for her to continue. 

“I know this a lot to ask for but could you maybe give some of my songs to your producer or art people? Its not like I’m asking to be signed but I want to get out there and do something with the music I love.” She said all in one breath hoping her friend could understand at least most of it. Lucky for her Seulgi did even if it took her a minute to process it all she grinned knowing exactly who she’ll send them too. 

“Yerim I practically raised you and I know how much you want this so I’ll help you just send me some of your tracks okay?” Seulgi could practically feel the younger girl’s excitement through the phone making her chuckle. Excusing herself so she could go make some lunch she stood with a groan stumbling a bit as her limbs stretched crackling at each pull. Her steps were heavy and she shivered at the freezing floor under her bare feet. Opening the fridge she thought of what could be made with little amount of groceries she had left. Opting out for a simple sandwich she hummed along as she prepared her food. Her eyes spark

Please log in to read the full chapter